Immigration clarifies and confirms overstay crackdown

THE POINT IS THIS; MOST OF US HAVE EARNED THE RIGHT TO BE IN THAILAND BECAUSE WE HAVE WORKED SOME 50 YEARS AND HAVE A PENSION AND SAVINGS!

For the most part, those individuals that are illegally staying here are not man enough to get a job or 2 jobs if necessary, live frugally, stay out of the bars, advance their education, save their money and finally come to Thailand with a pension and savings - as we have done ourselves.

THE BEST THING FOR THEM IS TO GET BOOTED OUT OF THAILAND AND GO HOME AND START ACTING LIKE A RESPONSIBLE HUMAN BEING!!

This is representative of a certain type of entitled, sanctimonious, resentful retiree on thai visa.

'I did my 50 years, you go and do yours.'

But he hasn't earned any right to be in Thailand, he's a guest like any foreigner on a 1 year leash.

Hear hear! and Thank you.

Edited by John1thru10

The link in the OP appears to answer the question I have been asking about the detail of people APPREHENDED on overstay under one year getting a 5 year ban, even if the overstay is under 90 days.

It's odd though that the text people are now being asked to sign includes the text giving the apparently WRONG impression that an overstay of even one day would result in a 5 year ban IF APPREHENDED.

I am reading "caught" and "apprehended" (the word on the form) as being the same thing.

Hopefully, assuming this "crackdown" actually goes through, this correction can also be made on the form and well communicated to immigration enforcement and the foreigners potentially impacted.

Lt Col Banphot Kittivira, Deputy Superintendent of the Immigration checkpoint at Sadao, on the Malaysian border, confirmed that his office received a copy of the new form.
“Although the form currently states that any foreigners caught overstaying by less than a year will be banned from re-entering the Kingdom for five years, please note that this will only apply to foreigners who overstay by more than 90 days,” he said.
“Any foreigners who overstay less than 90 days will be subjected to the normal 500-baht a day fine.”
- See more at: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-news/Immigration-looks-enforce-life-ban-overstays-within/31105#ad-image-1

Thank you for clarifying this JT.

This seems fair. If you deliberately overstayed like this in the UK you would certainly face a ban. Probably true in many other countries too.

This proposal to blacklist is as stupid as the people on this forum cheering for it. A 90 day overstay can happen to people without their knowledge. I know of one person who had worked here many years on 12 month extensions. Then resigned his job. The company told him he was allowed to stay until the date of the stamp in his passport and had no knowledge of any law saying that is not allowed. During the 4 months between resigning and the end of the extension of stay he even did the 90 day reporting, upon the completion of the extension of stay immigration fined him for 120 days overstay for not leaving the country on day of resignation. In this case there was no intent to break any law and did everything that he was told by the Thais.

How is everyone expected to be an expert in immigration law?

THE POINT IS THIS; MOST OF US HAVE EARNED THE RIGHT TO BE IN THAILAND BECAUSE WE HAVE WORKED SOME 50 YEARS AND HAVE A PENSION AND SAVINGS!

For the most part, those individuals that are illegally staying here are not man enough to get a job or 2 jobs if necessary, live frugally, stay out of the bars, advance their education, save their money and finally come to Thailand with a pension and savings - as we have done ourselves.

THE BEST THING FOR THEM IS TO GET BOOTED OUT OF THAILAND AND GO HOME AND START ACTING LIKE A RESPONSIBLE HUMAN BEING!!

This is representative of a certain type of entitled, sanctimonious, resentful retiree on thai visa.

But he hasn't earned any right to be in Thailand, he's a guest like any foreigner on a 1 year leash.

Yes most foreigners may be on visas, or extensions, some have PR and some have citizenship. But they follow the rules and comply with the requirements. Nothing to do with how long they've been here.

Those that chose not to follow the rules perhaps can't meet the requirements or don't want to come into contact with the authorities for some reason. Whatever - it is not a justifiable reason. They cannot break the rules just because it suits them. 20k ThB isn't really that big a punishment and is much less severe than many countries including US and EU members.

Think of all the money that will be lost. This doesn't seem like a good idea. Taking money out of an economy rarely makes it grow. Strange.

How much revenue do overstayers generate? Is there a statistic on that?

I'm in favour - some overstayers are genuinely down on their luck, but others are criminals hiding out here and treating the visa rules with impunity.

Thailand has been a hideout for foreign criminals for far too long now.

This proposal to blacklist is as stupid as the people on this forum cheering for it. A 90 day overstay can happen to people without their knowledge. I know of one person who had worked here many years on 12 month extensions. Then resigned his job. The company told him he was allowed to stay until the date of the stamp in his passport and had no knowledge of any law saying that is not allowed. During the 4 months between resigning and the end of the extension of stay he even did the 90 day reporting, upon the completion of the extension of stay immigration fined him for 120 days overstay for not leaving the country on day of resignation. In this case there was no intent to break any law and did everything that he was told by the Thais.

Get real. People have to take responsibility for their own affairs and make sure they are in control. 90 day overstay and don't notice - crap. Not bothering to find out about the rules and checking to make sure - lazy at best.

You want to live in another country fine - it's your responsibility to make sure you comply with the rules. Plenty of information available. He'd been here many years and never bothered to check?

Things are continually changing in any country, As a foreigner you must keep abreast of the rule changes at all times - and not expect someone else to molly coddle you.

A friend of mine recently found out his employers hadn't renewed his WP and had to rush around at the 11th hour sorting it all out. He accepts, he was foolish to forget all about it and leave it to some junior administrator. He won't make that mistake twice.

If you are a "Westerner" then will you be writing to your own country's government telling them that blacklisting for overstay is stupid? Because the chances are that they do this already. Thailand has been very lenient on this issue in the past.

This proposal to blacklist is as stupid as the people on this forum cheering for it.

A 90 day overstay can happen to people without their knowledge.

Hi. I don't know where you are from, but in my country as in Thailand, penalties are far to be apply in 100% of cases! Officers are not machines: they can recognize and understand when someone make a mistake. In your case, the fact the guy made his 90-report could help to prove he was in good faith and was not trying to hide from Immigration. He made a mistake, right, so he will be fined for that, but I really doubt he would be banned for that! He his someone who has (or had) a visa, who tried to be there legally and who came to get a new extension (and then stay legal). He is clearly not a target of these new rules smile.png

Come on folks, let's get real!

​At last count, there are 13 different types of visas available in Thailand which allow you to legally stay in the Kingdom for at least one year at a time. (retirement, marriage, employment, business and etc.)

​The normal progression is to switch from the Visa Upon Arrival > to the Non-Immigrant O Visa > the new One Year Visa.

For most of us on a Retirement Visa the cost is 1,900 Baht for the Non Immigrant O and 1,900 Baht for the Retirement Visa. Once you have the Retirement Visa, you do not need to renew the Non Immigrant O- so the cost is 1,900 Baht per year to renew the Retirement Visa.

I am all sure we know many people who are abusing the system by using nefarious means and "visa agencies" that can charge up to 21,000 Baht for getting a "legal visa".

How do you explain a man in his 20's or 30's, living in Thailand for a number of years, with no visible means of support, no job in their home countries, no education and no skills?

The ones I have met came here on a holiday, got bitten by the Thailand bug and decided there is no future in their home country, so they decide to stay in Thailand - whatever the cost. Their means of support usually involves pleading with relatives to wire them some money, ripping off tourists, dealing drugs or whatever in order to stay here.

Well said what a great post and in my experience in Thailand as a retiree totally true.

Two Jim's don't make a right.

do the 'overstayed' accumulate over a period of time ? or is it 90 days overstay per visit ?

the people I have known that have been on long term overstay here (+1 years) generally conform to these categories

- teaching English

- caught out doing something illegal and got arrested (4 of them were selling drugs)

- working in nightclubs/gogo bars

- under 50 and all of the above

- criminals on the run from home country and all of the above

I have not met any that didn't fit the above profile in 10 years living here

Think of all the money that will be lost. This doesn't seem like a good idea. Taking money out of an economy rarely makes it grow. Strange.

Seems they don't see any value added in letting people who violate immigration laws by a wide margin come back again in a hurry and it's hard to fault the logic.

It is also consistent with international practice in the home countries of most of the long term overstayers.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

• Like 2

But still many questions left unanswered, but we just have to wait and be patience (as usual;))

Sent from my iPad so Please excuse any typos

Yes. Being the prudence of being patient is a fact of life. Therefore I do not get your "as usual" innuendo.

Why not make overstays a thing of the past

There is a good case for increasing the overstay maximum fine to what you could potentially save by not continuously putting up with the continuous Visa runs costing each expat upwards of 12,000 baht plus for each 90 day extension which on a Multi Edu or O visa Means the government gets about 1900 baht and if you go to Laos that Government gets $35 or !500 baht for the border visa any way if you do this 5 times every year that means you will potentially pay out 60,000 baht + your initial set up fee of in the UK 140 pounds sterling (7742 baht) This means that each year will cost you 67,742 baht so if the overstay fine was say 67,000 for each year of overstay it would no longer make it a viable alternative to making the visa run each time.

Thai Authorities Keep Changing Visa conditions

I also would make the point that if the Thai authorities did not keep changing the visa requirements every few months and give their consulate and immigration offices clear and defined rules and regulations together with instructions for how to apply them to each of the visa groups in other words make them less complicated and more comprehensive to everyone.

There would be less likelihood of the rules being breached.

Each Consulate and Immigration Office interpret the rules differently

At the moment each Thai Consulate and Immigration office seem to interpret the conditions laid down by the ministry in Bangkok to suit themselves leading to much confusion leading to frustration and the potential for corruption and this situation needs to be avoided at all costs. So perhaps this administration should look further than the end of their noses and think about the future of their country start thinking OUT OF THE BOX use just a little common sense for a change. Perhaps if you made Expats, retiree,s and visitors more welcome you could prevent a lot of the dross coming here giving Thailand a bad reputation The good people that live here want to feel welcome again they spend a lot of Money in your country and contribute a lot to your GDP you should be welcoming them with Open arms.

Come on folks, let's get real!

How do you explain a man in his 20's or 30's, living in Thailand for a number of years, with no visible means of support, no job in their home countries, no education and no skills?

I can exlain it, just for edification. Many people, especially younger generations, have jobs which are not easily classifiable. And there's no checkbox for it, or 'employer' in that traditional way. That doesn't mean they are taking advantage of people. Some people do, for sure. But many people not.

Today's economies often rely on self employment, often over the internet for example. and often without traditional retirement benefits or specific employers. I'm a composer, for example. I can write music anywhere. It doesn't take advantage of people, it doesn't put any other person out of work anywhere I happen to be, it doesn't 'absuse' a system or involve some kind of dishonesty. And, if that exists for me, then I can only imagine there are millions of occupations and situations around the world which - particularly in 2014 - aren't defined in traditional old school ways. For example, 6 months ago I did a kickstarter campaign to fund an animated film I'm making, and raised 10,000 euro. Illegal somehow? No, not at all. Or...I can go to Germany for a month, or England of America, do some concerts and earn enough to live on for year in a place like Thailand. In a case like that, I don't have an 'employer' per say. I have 20. And every theater or music venue I perform in certainly doesn't offer some kind of 'official' status or ritirement plan, that's for sure. I was invited to be there, had a work permit for one week, was paid, provided transporation to and from Thailand by them, and then left and came back. I don't see how that is 'taking advantage'. And please, I'd love to meet more border officials who could understand that. And when they do, they love me. They want to talk about music all day and become facebook friends. That's how I got my visa right now, in fact. Thai people like me about 10,000x more than the people here who constantly write that I'm supposedly not welcome here, ha

It might not be completely typical, I understand. But I just wish you guys could remember that it's a huge world full of billions of people. Not everyone fits into your preconceived ideas about employment. Why I care what you write here, I don't know. I see these intense headlines in my email box, and get pulled into these discussions. But please, stop judging every person who doens't fit into your box. I'll bet, in the end, that not fitting into someone else's box is why most of you are here in the first place.

Different generations I'm afraid. The 60's generation mostly worked factories mundanely clocking in and out of work each and every day or worked down 'the pit', drove lorries up and down the M1 for Eddie Stowbart etc. Nothing wrong in that I might add but after living abroad for many years and meeting many expats who were always 10 years+ older than myself could never get their head around how or why I never had to do that. Nothing illegal nothing immoral just used my loaf, not everyone is the same some have to work for someone else all their lives and be told what to do some don't. It's a real shame but I can sense the bitterness and animosity from many (not all) from the life time manual workers wherever I have been.

• Like 2

Get real. People have to take responsibility for their own affairs and make sure they are in control. 90 day overstay and don't notice - crap. Not bothering to find out about the rules and checking to make sure - lazy at best.

You want to live in another country fine - it's your responsibility to make sure you comply with the rules. Plenty of information available. He'd been here many years and never bothered to check?

Things are continually changing in any country, As a foreigner you must keep abreast of the rule changes at all times - and not expect someone else to molly coddle you.

Well a stamp in a passport that says "permission to stay until DD/MM/YYYY" seemed pretty clear.

The stamp did not say "permission to stay until DD/MM/YYYY, unless employment terminates".....

Why would anyone think anything else, since the reason for annual extensions is to check if peoples situation changes

But when your wp finishes as it would when your job finishes, you have to leave the country. There are many answers to that effect here on TVF.

Sent from my K012 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

do the 'overstayed' accumulate over a period of time ? or is it 90 days overstay per visit ?

the people I have known that have been on long term overstay here (+1 years) generally conform to these categories

- teaching English

- caught out doing something illegal and got arrested (4 of them were selling drugs)

- working in nightclubs/gogo bars

- under 50 and all of the above

- criminals on the run from home country and all of the above

I have not met any that didn't fit the above profile in 10 years living here

I come in 3-4 times a year on a work-rotation and get a normal tourist visa. I usually overstay 2-3 weeks and merely pay the fine on departure. I can't imagine going 90 days over at one time. However, over a couple of years I'll hit 90 days if they accumulate over separate trips.

Can I assume I'm not what they are targeting ?

Old and boring Dictum I know - BUT :

"Ignorance of the Law is no excuse"

We are all responsible for our own compliance with regulations.

Simple really.

Patrick

• Like 1

Simple really.

Patrick

Interesting point. How do we find out if the new proposed overstay blacklisting guidelines become a law?

Edited by thailiketoo

There will be NO money lost at all. In order not to get a ban the people on an overstay have to leave the country before the rule is active.

They will have to pay max 20000 baht and apply for a proper visa and pay for that too. This will bring money to the country instead of losing it.

The link in the OP appears to answer the question I have been asking about the detail of people APPREHENDED on overstay under one year getting a 5 year ban, even if the overstay is under 90 days.

It's odd though that the text people are now being asked to sign includes the text giving the apparently WRONG impression that an overstay of even one day would result in a 5 year ban IF APPREHENDED.

I am reading "caught" and "apprehended" (the word on the form) as being the same thing.

Hopefully, assuming this "crackdown" actually goes through, this correction can also be made on the form and well communicated to immigration enforcement and the foreigners potentially impacted.

Lt Col Banphot Kittivira, Deputy Superintendent of the Immigration checkpoint at Sadao, on the Malaysian border, confirmed that his office received a copy of the new form.
“Although the form currently states that any foreigners caught overstaying by less than a year will be banned from re-entering the Kingdom for five years, please note that this will only apply to foreigners who overstay by more than 90 days,” he said.
“Any foreigners who overstay less than 90 days will be subjected to the normal 500-baht a day fine.”
- See more at: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-news/Immigration-looks-enforce-life-ban-overstays-within/31105#ad-image-1

how it is possible that people had to sign something what isnt valied ?

so what thailand will do if somebody has no money to return?

they have to pay the ticket, because they can not arrest this person for the rest of his life

Simple really.

Patrick

Interesting point. How do we find out if the new proposed overstay blacklisting guidelines become a law?

can not be a law, if Thailand not have a Parliament

Yes most foreigners may be on visas, or extensions, some have PR and some have citizenship. But they follow the rules and comply with the requirements. Nothing to do with how long they've been here.

Those that chose not to follow the rules perhaps can't meet the requirements or don't want to come into contact with the authorities for some reason. Whatever - it is not a justifiable reason. They cannot break the rules just because it suits them. 20k ThB isn't really that big a punishment and is much less severe than many countries including US and EU members.

before you writing any bullshit, you should inform yourself, there is not financial fine in the EU for overstay

• Like 1

What is the point, exactly though, of another foreigner in Thailand (regardless of their own visa situation) spending their days on ThaiVisa angrily judging the visa situations of others? Are these the voices of Thai officals doing that here? No. Have such people been given any authority by Thai officials to do so? No. Does doing so somehow advance their own visas statuses in the eyes of Thai officials? No. Are these people somehow instrumental in deciding what these rules are? No. Are they responsible in some way for the visas of others? No. Do Thai people read ThaiVisa and then respect those people for doing so? No. Does it have any positive effect on anything for the people who do that here each day? No. Is this a polical forum? No. Is this a visa information forum, which a group of very angry retirees use more as a personal blog to try to behave as if they themselves are authority figures of some kind? Sadly....it is often, yes.

And the whole point of your outstanding contribution to this thread is what?

Why bother reading anything if it's all irrelevant to you? What's the point of you bothering to post to say all this is pointless? Feel free to express an opinion, but of course, you need an opinion first.

Off you go now, there's a good boy.

Can only see gloom and doom for the economy I would think that overstays. Must be in the 1,000s if not millions and who will foot the bill to deport all these people I would assume that if they cannot afford a visa then they would not have the money to leave the kingdom I would assume the biggest offenders would be those from neighbouring countries Burma,Cambodia,Malaysia all these people would be doing the jobs Thais won't touch

The gloom and doom is the people that are here illegally with no money and no means of support. If you have a job, can teach or give back to the country there are ways to stay here legally.

Those that are living on the beach, pan handling, causing nuisance are the ones that need to be removed. I am sorry if you cannot find a way to get a legal visa extension then you should not be here.

Have the money but not the age for retirement then simple get an Ed visa or save up and get the card.\

I think it is all verysimple.

I realize that Thailand is not like another country that just opened up to anyone that can get across a river and speak Spanish. But then again are the people in that country happy with that situation??

Just wondering.

Or of course there was a country that said if you were colonized by us and still in our group you do not need any visas to come to stay here.

Again just wondering how they are doing also.

• Like 1

Simple really.

Patrick

can not be a law, if Thailand not have a Parliament

May I wish you luck in explaining your point of view when you are apprehended?

whistling.gif

Patrick

• Like 1

The thing is, one can whine about this as long as he wants, but at the end of the day, we are all just guests and have to live with and respect whatever the Thai government throws at us. I am here now legally for 23 years with proper visas and work permit, etc. and managed to not have one single day of overstay, never a problem with immigration, police or labour department. It is doable folks! Thus stop complaining about the illegal doors being shut and locked now!

I pay a lot of money in taxes, social security, insurance, employees and all, and I always despised the freeloaders and illegal dive and tour guides for having it their cheap and illegal ways with monthly border runs, etc. not paying any tax, not having to apply for and renew work permits, etc... So now the good times for Cheap Charlies seem to finally be over. What money is lost? The few hundred Baht they spent at night in their bars or the few hundred Baht they hand over to the Rasta beach bums for a pack of weed? Come on, get real!!!

Only thing the Thai government should do in addition is to come up with rules and regulations that allow business owners, language schools, etc. to legally employ more foreign staff without having to employ hundreds of (non willing to work) Thai employees, ease the process of applying for and renewing work permits, etc. to keep it all in balance. It's a long way to go and unfortunately with Thai people, there always is the self-centered nationalistic attitude that hinders progress...

yes and what happend it your employer cancel the work permit? you leave next day, you leave your house, stuff, friends, family back in Thailand and you say Sorry I have to leave because I not break the law?

So many perfect people here, all with perfect Visas, nobody took money from friends to get the 800000 Baht together for the retirement Visa, nobody made a false sworn statement at land office that his wife own all the money for the house, nobody built a company only to buy land and house, 90 % of the people with work permit brake the law because doing other work than described or at anther place than described,

Instead of hold together and fight on better rights for the foreigners in Thailand, fight against these incredible unjust laws in Thailand, against the daily discrimination here, you are happy if other people get problems, will may be deported, but when you look in history this will never end, one day they are in front of your house and you will be the next to leave!

• Like 1

“It is time to stop. If you live in a country, you respect its rules.”

Gen Thatchai also warned that foreigners caught on overstay can expect no right of appeal to be granted.

There's probably some TV members that disagree with this statement but moan about how the illegal immigrants have ruined their country. You certainly can't have both ways, regardless of ethnicity, staying in a country illegally shouldn't be tolerated.

Good on them for doing the right thing, no right of appeal once it's been proved that you've broken the law. In a perfect western world the same would apply instead of dragging out the deportation process for months or years. Think of the costs to the tax payer.

I wish you they stay in front of your house tomorrow and for sure they will find something in your history, that you broke the law in thailand. And I wish you that you not get any right to appeal.

But there are laws and even in Thailand you have the right for appeal and going to court to prove your case

before you writing any bullshit, you should inform yourself, there is not financial fine in the EU for overstay

Perhaps you should practice what you preach! Your comments appears bullshit.

onsequences of overstaying Schengen visa

Overstaying Schengen visa can result in a number of consequences.

Fine: The first consequence to overstaying Schengen visa is a fine. The state in which you remained when overstaying Schengen visa can impose a fine which can be very expensive.

Record: Overstaying Schengen visa also can mean a record in your personal file saying that you overstayed Schengen visa which can make it more complicated to get Schengen visa in the future.

Ban on entry: Probably the most severe punishment for overstaying Schengen visa can be a ban on entry. A ban on entry is usually issued for 1 to 3 years. A traveler overstaying Schengen visa may not be allowed back into Schengen countries for 1 to 3 years.

Deportation: A very unpleasant consequence to overstaying Schengen visa is an immediate deportation when caught overstaying Schengen visa.

The UK regards overstaying as a criminal offence, which means offenders have a criminal record.

Overstaying

Last modified: 05 March 2014

Overstaying your visa is a criminal offence. If you overstay for more than 28 days you will not be allowed to apply for further leave to remain from within the UK. If you overstay by more than 90 days you will normally be barred from coming back to the UK for at least 12 months.

Additionally overstaying will have serious consequences for any future immigrations applications that you make, including applications for countries other than the UK. You must tell the truth in immigration applications and declare any periods of overstay if asked about them. If you are found to have used deception in an immigration application you are likely to be barred from the UK for ten years.

So some countries operate fines and a ban, some a ban. But all are more severe than Thailand's previous fine only.

Edited by Baerboxer
  • Like 2