Angry Patong vendors heckle Phuket officials and army

webfact

Angry Patong vendors heckle Phuket officials and army
Tanyaluk Sakoot

1404880510_1-org.jpg
Suriya Sintoke: 'I have a contract with the municipality allowing me to do business on public land.'

PHUKET: -- Some 100 vendors and business owners who have been making a living on Patong Beach for years reacted angrily to the appearance on the beach this morning of municipal officials accompanied by heavily armed soldiers.

Suriya Sintoke, Managing Director of the Solemio Group, which has had two medium-sized wooden restaurants on Patong Beach selling Thai and European food, pizzas and drinks for the past three years, complained to The Phuket News that the whole thing was unfair.

“I have a contract from the Patong Municipality allowing me to build my restaurants here.

“I was informed last month that I must demolish the restaurants and if I don’t the army will do it.”

She accused the authorities of unfairness. “I was intimidated by some of the other businesses here. I believe the Municipality has singled me out.”

She shouted at the troops, “What are you doing? Why are you doing this to me? Please don’t pull down my restaurant.”

Mayor Chalermluck Kebsap said that no one was being treated unfairly and that about 500 businesses had already received notice to quit public land. “They already knew what was going to happen,” she said. “This is not about influential people.”

Col Somchai Ponatong, Officer in Charge of Training at the Royal Thai Army’s 41st Military Circle Command in Nakhon Sri Thammarat, who led the troops onto the beach, said there was no intention to deprice people of a living. He invited them to a meeting at the Royal Thai Navy 3rd Fleet base this Friday (July 11) to discuss options that would not involve them occupying public land.

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/angry-patong-vendors-heckle-phuket-officials-and-army-47273.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2014-07-09

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Sorry but you're squatters and you bribing the local government to let you build your restaurants there doesn't make it legal. It's time to take out the trash!

Go Army!

If they do have a contract from Patong Municipality they can take Patong Municipality to court for breach of contract.

May not be that simple.

A contract to do something which is illegal is in fact not a legal contract at all in most countries in the world and that includes Thailand.

• Like 2

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Sorry but you're squatters and you bribing the local government to let you build your restaurants there doesn't make it legal. It's time to take out the trash!

Go Army!

If they do have a contract from Patong Municipality they can take Patong Municipality to court for breach of contract.

May not be that simple.

A contract to do something which is illegal is in fact not a legal contract at all in most countries in the world and that includes Thailand.

Yes, it is that simple.

• Like 1

Both the municipality and the vendors are guilty of breaching the laws. The General should also go for the officials and bribe takers.

Better why not force the municipality to cover the losses of the vendors and legitimate their business by legal and proper licenses?

• Like 1

Both the municipality and the vendors are guilty of breaching the laws. The General should also go for the officials and bribe takers.

Better why not force the municipality to cover the losses of the vendors and legitimate their business by legal and proper licenses?

So you're saying we, the taxpayers, should compensate the vendors?

Like you Steven I am a Thai tax payer. No, the municipality should not cover the losses, the corrupt officials who work for the municipality should cover the losses. And I dream on ... on ...on

Only hope is that the army stays forever. But then they might fall into the corruption pit.

I was wondering the same thing? Why do I have to pay for these criminals? Both the vendors and the officials involved should have their assets confiscated and be punished for their crimes.

Further, why issue licenses to occupy and thereby allow a few individuals to block land that belongs to the public, and that most people enjoy visiting? If they want to open restaurants there are plenty of places that can be rented or purchased legally for that purpose.