Angry Patong vendors heckle Phuket officials and army

webfact

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Sorry but you're squatters and you bribing the local government to let you build your restaurants there doesn't make it legal. It's time to take out the trash!

Go Army!

If they do have a contract from Patong Municipality they can take Patong Municipality to court for breach of contract.

May not be that simple.

A contract to do something which is illegal is in fact not a legal contract at all in most countries in the world and that includes Thailand.

Yes, it is that simple.

A contract is not valid if it is in breach of any existing laws. It is just that simple.

Because the whole fabric of society is corrupt! to make changes now is going to be very difficult. Good luck to them.

I believe this is the tip of the iceberg to come.

Look out for the new IMF banking government.

First comes some control, then more control, than indebtedness then a crash to grab funds.

Of course this never ends, tax, steel, punish and control.

The new Mafia has arrived. This Junta has done way too much too soon to be anything else.

Control and enslavement. You watch. Taxws everywhere will soon arrive.

At lease the present Mafia is somewhat fair and they can be avoided.

Good luck to us all.

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

If they do have a contract from Patong Municipality they can take Patong Municipality to court for breach of contract.

May not be that simple.

A contract to do something which is illegal is in fact not a legal contract at all in most countries in the world and that includes Thailand.

Yes, it is that simple.

A contract is not valid if it is in breach of any existing laws. It is just that simple.

Ok, 2 things:

1. they can always go to court. Whether successful or not remains to be seen;

2. the contract may be a violation of the law, but here we're talking about a contract that was signed by the authorities that should be upholding these laws. Would that not make the contract valid?

To be very clear: we're talking here about the situation as mentioned in the OP, where the lady claims to have has a contract with Patong Municipality. Since this is very, very likely not the case she can't go to court with this contract anyway, so the situation is hypothetical.

Because the whole fabric of society is corrupt! to make changes now is going to be very difficult. Good luck to them.

First comes some control, then more control, than indebtedness then a crash to grab funds.

The new Mafia has arrived. This Junta has done way too much too soon to be anything else.

Good luck to us all.

How do our Southeners feel about their beloved Kamnan now?

Wonder if Samui vendors will have their "contracts" voided?

Edited by Cisco
  • Like 1

May not be that simple.

Yes, it is that simple.

Ok, 2 things:

1. they can always go to court. Whether successful or not remains to be seen;

2. the contract may be a violation of the law, but here we're talking about a contract that was signed by the authorities that should be upholding these laws. Would that not make the contract valid?

To be very clear: we're talking here about the situation as mentioned in the OP, where the lady claims to have has a contract with Patong Municipality. Since this is very, very likely not the case she can't go to court with this contract anyway, so the situation is hypothetical.

Re your point #2: a contract that violates the law is called an unenforceable contract. Just because an official signed and stamped it doesn't make it legal - for example, if the official were coerced, was corrupt, incompetent, or simply made an honest mistake. The courts would void the contract. No doubt the army know this, so they are on solid ground to remove the encroaching properties. Just my humble opinion.

Sorry but you're squatters and you bribing the local government to let you build your restaurants there doesn't make it legal. It's time to take out the trash!

Go Army!

Errrr .... That would more correctly be the Royal Thai Armed Forces, if you get my drift (and if you're really insightful, you will). But after your "Go Army!", I have my doubts. The "illegal" operations are part of business of Thailand and the RTAF, et al is not likely to change that short of an entire cultural revolution that would take generations even if it were possible.

they might fall into the corruption pit.

"Might" you say, lol, where do you think you're living?

When the majority consider it, "just doing business" I don't have high hopes.

(that mindset is played out perfectly by the woman saying but she's paid already)

20 or 30

/

/

/

/

/

/

/

/

/

/

/

/

years that is,

even then its a "maybe"

Edited by kaorop

“I have a contract from the Patong Municipality allowing me to build my restaurants here.

I expect the contract is in her head only consisting of a few words and money exchanged with govt officials to get them to look the other way.

• Like 1

Go Army!

And although you are exactly correct ... you have been here long enough to realize ... good luck with that avenue laugh.png

Go Army!

The tessabaan should also be in trouble or who ever signed the permission to build as if the government give you permission to do something then you have done all you can to make it legal then you still get in trouble

People seem to make the laws up as they go along

I start to ask myself what is legal and what is illegal. How do I stay away from the police when I have done everything I can to do things right ???

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

I have a contract from the Patong Municipality allowing me to build my restaurants here

The person who had signed that contract should be arrested, and it should be established how much money was involved for giving that contract.

Exactly. And the army (dictators) should sort that issue out first. Rather than literally going in and ripping their lively hood out from under them. They may be illegal, but corruption has always been the way in Thailand. These people have no rights to benifits. If they do have any form of contract. They should at least have the right to some compensation from whoever issued the contract.

Things such as is happening now could cause much more unrest. Are we heading for a total military state?

For the chap that said they are squatters, that they are not. Squatters have rights.

jb1

In my opinion the army should destroy all restaurant , hotels and what ever build on the public ground for public usecoffee1.gif

in rayong i saw 3 years ago thais building bungalows ...10 meters from the sea water....yes.... incredible!

question is : where is dirty water from closet going ?

where is water from cleaning going ?

question is : what about risk of tsunami in the andaman sea? is it ok to build so close to the sea?

business people dont care ....but the last government should have cared before for the public and tourist interest. so if the army make some cry today ....sorry for them but i think it is time to put a litle bit of order.

everything is not only money

coffee1.gif

“I have a contract from the Patong Municipality allowing me to build my restaurants here.

I expect the contract is in her head only consisting of a few words and money exchanged with govt officials to get them to look the other way.

I don't know the law in Thailand, but in the UK a contract doesn't necessarily always have to be written on paper for it to be legally binding.

jb1

Very good news, next they should start clearing a lot of the illegal stalls that block the pavements in a few Bkk areas, you know the ones where they have a 'contract' with the Police. The General is no fool and doing a great job so far.

And now the real fun starts, and we can expect them to start tearing each other apart.

Army: Ready - Aim - F...

I pray it does not reach that point.

I hope not, you can take it as a metaphor for swift and effective action if required.

Good luck to us all.

How do our Southeners feel about their beloved Kamnan now?

Wonder if Samui vendors will have their "contracts" voided?

I can answer that most southerners are thrilled about what the military is doing. The once that are breaking the law not so happy any other questions?

• Like 2

How nice if the NCPO organises a public hearing with all the residents of Patong and the fat-pocket guys from the Patong Municipality to explain why these 100+ business are encroaching the public area. Tenants are to be present for verification. To make known to all encroachers of public land in Thailand, the whole of the hearing is to be live telecast. If they are serious for reform, this is it!

Very good news, next they should start clearing a lot of the illegal stalls that block the pavements in a few Bkk areas, you know the ones where they have a 'contract' with the Police. The General is no fool and doing a great job so far.

What stalls are you talking about? Many are actually completely legal so I'm just trying to understand what your talking about!?

“I have a contract from the Patong Municipality allowing me to build my restaurants here."

Something tells me Patong government officials have been receiving bribes, my guess is that the vendors don't have any receipt on the "payment" and I know what a contract means in Thailand, a peace of paper who isn't worth a sh1t. cheesy.gif

Go Army!

Errrr .... That would more correctly be the Royal Thai Armed Forces, if you get my drift (and if you're really insightful, you will). But after your "Go Army!", I have my doubts. The "illegal" operations are part of business of Thailand and the RTAF, et al is not likely to change that short of an entire cultural revolution that would take generations even if it were possible.

You're wrong.

This 'illegal' operation may have been part of Thailand but the Army is doing what it has promised to change this culture. Take generations to change? Maybe, maybe not but you have to start somewhere. So yes, Go Army!

• Like 1