Young farang wanting to spend some time in Isan.

bhthai

Hi everyone. I am a 20 year old Australian national wanting to spend some time in Isan and I would appreciate if anyone has some recommendation on places in Isan, as it's a large area.

Just a quick into on myself ; I came to Thailand mid way though last year, planning to travel SEA, but decided just to stay the whole 6 months in Thailand, as I wanted to just settle down somewhere and relax.

Quickly after returning back home to Australia in December last year, I planned to come back to Thailand when I was financially able. I am now coming back to Thailand within the month and hopefully will have enough savings to last me at least 6 months.

I don't really have a specific agenda as to why I'm spending so long in Thailand, but I honestly don't feel I need one. I'm young and have worked and saved very hard for my money and this is how I want to spend my time and my money.

If I did have a purpose of coming to Thailand, it would be that I hope to one day be settled there so I'm really trying to go back and decide if this is something I seriously want to work towards (setting myself up in Thailand, that is) I spend a significant amount of time studying the language and it's also something I feel very passionate about. I want to achieve a very high standard in the language, not only because it's something I enjoy, but it may be beneficial if I one day can call Thailand my true home.

When I come to Thailand last year, I originally spent my time in BKK, but got over that very quickly. Overcrowded, noisy, polluted cities don't really appeal to me.

I have not spent much time in Isan at all, but living there has been an idea that has always been attracted to me. I travelled though Isan to go to Laos for my visa and went through Mukdahan. While it was very brief, even just seeing the simple country side was beautiful in it's self.

This time, I really want to get 'soaked up' in the the real things about loving Thailand. The culture, the food and basically just the Thai way of living. I'm also very interested in learning the Isan Language. I come to Thailand to experience THAILAND. I can't relate to other foreigners, especially my age who do nothing but farang things...

I'm prepared for a simple life and it's honestly how I enjoy living, but I do having access to more 'modern' activity/features when they are desired. Therefore while I would like to live in Isan, I would like to live in one of the larger cities so I can enjoy the best of both worlds :)

I like going to the gym, so anywhere that has a half reasonable gym with weight equipment is a huge plus. I'm sure at least one of the cities in Isan would have a half decent gym. Shopping malls, farang bars and a little nightlife certainly isn't necessary, but it's something I like to be able to do once in a while.

So to get to the real question...do you guys mind giving me basically your experiences on these cities and your thoughts on how they differ from each other...?

....Why do live in X (insert place in isan) over ( insert place in isan) is there anything bad about (insert place in isan)

The cities that have come to mind are the main 3;

Kohn Kaen, Burrirum and Udon Thani. - Is there really any significant differences between these cities or does it basically just come down to personal preference. Examples, cost of accommodation, size of the city, population, amount of foreigners ect.

Of course I am going to have to travel to Isan myself and decide where I prefer, I'd just like to know if anyone has any suggestions of where in Isan may be better suited to my liking.

This is really just getting a rough idea, so any recommendation/advice/opinion is appreciated.

Thank you :)

• Like 1

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

add korat to your list.there will be always something to do.one must ask on your last visit did you try,

the local produce,the fruits of the forest.

issan has plenty to offer,a nice fresh breast of an issan chickn. or a nice top of the leg of pork,dont worry if your picky you will soon get the hang of whats tender and sweet,some needs to be done slowly others as it comes.

one warning be carful what you do with your money,as the saying goes"A FOOL AND HIS MONEY WILL SOON BE PARTED]

meatboy dog and food lover and the odd tin.

• Like 1

That's a great thing to do and a good idea to visit isaan. It's much better than visiting Bangkok for example with the fake culture and the stuck up mentality.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

That's a great thing to do and a good idea to visit isaan. It's much better than visiting Bangkok for example with the fake culture and the stuck up mentality.

You can add Pattaya, Phuket and Chiang Mai to that list.

• Like 2

Best way to travel through Isaan (it's beautiful) would be to find yourself a genuine local soul mate and start moving from place to place.

Without local insight you will miss out on the most interesting part of your Journey; Isaan culture.

I would land In Kurat (large city with every conceivable amenity) and start planning from there.

• Like 1

This time, I really want to get 'soaked up' in the the real things about loving Thailand. The culture, the food and basically just the Thai way of living. I'm also very interested in learning the Isan Language. I come to Thailand to experience THAILAND. I can't relate to other foreigners, especially my age who do nothing but farang things...

You can't relate to other foreigners who live here for many years? Do you think all of them are alcoholics and psychopaths? Okay, you're a special kid then.

Given the recent and continuing crack down on tourists going in and out of Thailand to extent another 15-30 days of stay, I wonder if it is at all possible to come to Thailand on a tourist visa with the intention of staying 6 months or longer. I think bhthai should look at this carefully and consider the visa options before coming back.

A double entry tourist visa will do the trick.

add korat to your list.there will be always something to do.one must ask on your last visit did you try,

issan has plenty to offer,a nice fresh breast of an issan chickn. or a nice top of the leg of pork,dont worry if your picky you will soon get the hang of whats tender and sweet,some needs to be done slowly others as it comes.

one warning be carful what you do with your money,as the saying goes"A FOOL AND HIS MONEY WILL SOON BE PARTED]

.........".issan has plenty to offer,a nice fresh breast of an issan chickn. or a nice top of the leg of pork,dont worry if your picky you will soon get the hang of whats tender and sweet,some needs to be done slowly others as it comes" ...................

Not sure if u meant it Meatboy, but the above can definitely be read in 2 ways! If u did, its certainly a great culinary analogy!

What with all the junk food, some of those lovely Esaan girls certainly are getting a bit porky!

I'd like to add to your good advice..............MAKE SURE YOU WEAR A CONDOM!

• Like 1

Given the recent and continuing crack down on tourists going in and out of Thailand to extent another 15-30 days of stay, I wonder if it is at all possible to come to Thailand on a tourist visa with the intention of staying 6 months or longer. I think bhthai should look at this carefully and consider the visa options before coming back.

A double entry tourist visa will do the trick.

........Or a triple entry if they are issued in Oz as they r in the UK.

You can add Pattaya, Phuket and Chiang Mai to that list.

Horses for courses. It's sheer lunacy IMO to say that it's a better idea to visit Isaan over the other towns mentioned. Maybe this younger guy has different desires but as a proposition for the generality of visitors .... you guys have obviously gone nativetongue.png

Isaan dweller and like living here, but would never recommend it as a visitor priority.

Edited by SantiSuk
  • Like 2

Maha Sarakham would probably be a good spot for you to base yourself out of.

It has 2x large universities and I think 5 technical colleges, so there are a large proportion of tertiary students within the town. Having a large amount of people all a similar age would likely suit you well. There are also all of the expected amenities within the city, and Maha Sarakham is located in the centre of Isaan, so travelling to other areas of Isaan isn't too difficult.

I lived there for the first 4-6 months I was in Thailand, and absolutely loved it. Although admittedly, you'd probably enjoy living in most of the provincial capitals in Isaan, as everywhere is a little different and has something special to offer.

• Like 2

.........".issan has plenty to offer,a nice fresh breast of an issan chickn. or a nice top of the leg of pork,dont worry if your picky you will soon get the hang of whats tender and sweet,some needs to be done slowly others as it comes" ...................

Not sure if u meant it Meatboy, but the above can definitely be read in 2 ways! If u did, its certainly a great culinary analogy!

What with all the junk food, some of those lovely Esaan girls certainly are getting a bit porky!

I'd like to add to your good advice..............MAKE SURE YOU WEAR A CONDOM!

MAKE SURE YOU WEAR A CONDOM aint that them latex things they put on sausages.bah.gif

Personally I would arrive BKK and get the bus to Nakhon Ratchasima (Korat) this is the beginning of Isan and a large enough city to provide you with language courses, gymnasiums and the Isan lifestyle. From Korat you can catch a bus or train to every part of rural Isan, allowing you to visit different towns for a day or two then if it is not what you want return to your base in Korat - sample before you buy. Then when you find an area you like and feel comfortable with, move there. I would recommend you look at Pak Thong Chai - very rural, simple lifestyle but being only 41kms from Korat providing access when needed to shops, entertainment and gyms. I would also recommend Buriram, both the town and the province. Buriram is a bustling town, the name meaning 'City of Happiness' and is close to the neighbouring provinces of Sa Kaeo and as I said, Nakhon Ratchasima, Khon Kaen, Maha Sarakham, and Surin.

I currently live on a farm in Kun Lakhon, which is Isan to a 't'…subsistence rice farmers, no bars, one local shop and kilometre after kilometre of rice! Enjoy

Poor lad!!

The usual guys are naming CITIES in Isaan, when clearly this guy wishes to see ISAAN for Gods sake!! We who lives up here, when we wishes to see Isaan

we or course never ever go to a big city... He can stay in Bangkok or Khorat and Khon Kaen and cities like that, if that is the only thing you manage to suggest to him.

If you like to see and experience Isaan stay out of the cities... and go for the everydaylife experiencies up here. it is beutiful and you will meet fantastic people who is genuily

interested in you as a person... I liked that suggestion to bring a girlfriend from Isaan with you.. She can help you to manage much better....

Good luck....

Glegolo

(Chaiyaphum)

I was comparing places for our future retirement. Choices were really the village out in the sticks where my wife's parents live, Khon Kaen, and Buriram.

I decided the village wasn't for me - mostly pollution issues, noise and air. Also flies and mozzies are a pain. In a village I'd have no way to try and control any of that.

I don't like Khon Kaen - traffic is awful, streets are mostly narrow. It's all just hustle and bustle to me.

So I went with Buriram. Nice size, some Farang facilities, and a good vibe.

When are you going back? My wife and I will be going at the end of the month for our annual visit. Will be driving between Buriram and KK, and vice versa, at some point...

Staying in Isaan is a relaxing affair normally. There are several historical sites to be seen if they interest you. Khmer ruins abound in Isaan. Korat is a quiet city but there is plenty of night life if that is what you are after. Lots of good food and lots of food that you may find too exotic. Try it all, even the bugs.

My advice to you is DONT GO THERE!!! Are you mental? Why the F^%k would you want to go to Isaan when Thailand has Pattaya? ?

Have you notice that most Thai maps do not have that place on them. Makes you wonder, doesn't it?

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Being a young farang in isaan, i can talk from experience.. Each big city is a tad different in its own ways, but i base myself in udon. If you ever decide to come to udon you can send me a message and I'll show you the ropes.. Enjoy!

Good on you for working, saving and experiencing life! Far to many kids today doing naff all with their lives!

He's 20 years old. How long could he have been "working" and saving. LOL, Smells like hydro? Not that there is a problem with hydro, just sayin! Good luck up there matey. Been there done that. I would rather be drawn and quartered. Just my opinion. To each his own .

Edited by Isaandon