BANGKOK
Sign in to follow this  
Jonathan Fairfield

South Thailand border crossings reports problems to enter with 60-days tourist visas "TR60"

i went thro Padang Besar last week and the imm guy was the worst i have ever had there ..i have a non o ret visa (hull) he looked at every visa stamp page at least 3 times and refused to give me the immigration card to enter thailand until he finnished this inspectionblink.png ...i.ve been on Non O for over 10 years so you can tell it took time for this guy to do his intimidation....sadly it failed cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

• Like 2

I was in Chaeng Wattana Immigration yesterday for a non-Visa matter, the officer wasn't pleased with my 3 one year Non-O Multi-Entry Visas and told me to get an extension.

There's a massive cracking down going on now, and now people with valid Tourist Visas are being turned away.... perhaps they will also cap the amount of Non-Imm Multi Entry visas soon and you will have to get an Extension of Stay (with proof of funds etc. to stay here.)

Hopefully these people can fly in and enter that way, using their Tourist Visa to do so.

• Like 1

I think that the Ranong crossings could be added to the list. Even those with multiple entry non immgrant visas were turned away there along with tourist visas. They were asking for tickets out of the country.

There have been reports for weeks now of people being turned back all crossings in the South. It seems to me it is something coming out of the region 6 office.

They have been asking for tickets out of the country and/or financial proof (cash in hand in most cases).

I'm still waiting for reports of people being turned away from the airports - the land borders are an obvious target if you are looking to catch visa runners. I also wonder if the Immi officer who gave terryp a hard time would be prepared to do so if he had a line of a hundred or so tourists fresh off a flight behind him. When this hits the airports - even in the current lowest of low seasons - it wont just be TVers complaining.

At the risk of being flamed, I strongly suspect that the 'cranky' Immigration officers are being pressured from above to make this crackdown real, not the usual dog-and-pony show but I guess time will tell if the old skepticism is warranted or not. Worst case, they have quotas ......

• Like 2

@ubonjoe, this brings me back to what I said earlier in the week re being 'too scared to leave the country' - at no stage during my adventures at Jomtien Immigration have I been asked for flights or the 10-40K cash people are being asked to show at the borders. I want to see just how far they are prepared to go with this crackdown.

I am about to get into the car and drive to Korat immigration for my third year of non imm 'o' visa. i am married to a Thai and I have sufficient funds...

Do you think I will have a problem? Because it seems the immigration officials are not trained properly and seem to be labouring under the impression that they have to make it super hard for all farang to stay here now.

I suppose I will find out in the next hours.... Seems as though reading through these comments it is looking like each immigration officer is a law unto himself.

Wish me luck.

There have been no reports of people applying for extensions of stay experiencing any additional checks or having problems getting them.

The tightening up is only for those making entries into the country.

• Like 1

i have always done the leaving every 89 day route on my ret visa , but after my last episode i/'m thinking of going down the extension of stay route ..can anyone explaine the pros and cons ..as I am totally baffled by whats going on at the moment..refusing Non imm visa entry also tousit visas that have been processed and paid for at Thai consulates etc is getting beyond a joke

please PM me as it looks like the mods are haveing a bad hair day already

Edited by terryp
  • Like 2

Please no more off topic posts. This topic is only about border entries in the southern Thailand . Not visits to immigration offices and etc.

Off topic posts will be removed without notice.

Nothing is being said officially yet, right?

Although, these crackdowns are just too much of a coincidence, there is something going on.

As others have said on this forum, maybe Thailand and its visa system is about to go through a massive change?

It will be interesting to see if this starts happening at any other border points in Thailand

Edited by pinkpanther99