South Thailand border crossings reports problems to enter with 60-days tourist visas "TR60"

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

People on a Non O visa will be able to go,enter freely without any hindrance whatsoever. Why because if you are married they cannot refuse you to visit family..... by law this is.

It's about time they are cracking down on border runners with just a single tourist visa. Who knows, maybe we will see better teachers. clap2.gif

Bit naive and insensitive, not to mention very smug was your last paragragh. If this crackdown really does get enforced like they are saying it is not just the wrong un's and people working here illegally tha it will affect. It will/could also affect decent honest people like offshore workers who visit here say every 2 or 3 months for holiday or family reasons. This could go way beyond affecting just the border runners/cheap charlies., etc.

I doubt it will affect oil workers or anyother kind of workers who are outside the country(making their money) for more than 180 days a year as they are not tax liable. I dont think they have any problem with these guys.

People on a Non O visa will be able to go,enter freely without any hindrance whatsoever. Why because if you are married they cannot refuse you to visit family..... by law this is.

It's about time they are cracking down on border runners with just a single tourist visa. Who knows, maybe we will see better teachers. clap2.gif

Bit naive and insensitive, not to mention very smug was your last paragragh. If this crackdown really does get enforced like they are saying it is not just the wrong un's and people working here illegally tha it will affect. It will/could also affect decent honest people like offshore workers who visit here say every 2 or 3 months for holiday or family reasons. This could go way beyond affecting just the border runners/cheap charlies., etc.

I doubt it will affect oil workers or anyother kind of workers who are outside the country(making their money) for more than 180 days a year as they are not tax liable. I dont think they have any problem with these guys.

Well a chap earlier who works offshore in Malaysia with family here said he got the once over at Don Muang for the first time in 15 years just recently. But as long as they have their story and info to back it up then I would suspect that you are right.

They'll have a problem with them trying to access Thailand six times a year on visa-exempt.

There's going to be a lot of explaining to do at the airport for a lot of these guys.

They'll have a problem with them trying to access Thailand six times a year on visa-exempt.

There's going to be a lot of explaining to do at the airport for a lot of these guys.

At least the ones that are married to a Thai can go to Laos and get a Non-O.

Why? Where does it say you can not use a visa-exempt 6 times a year? A lot of doom and gloom her as usual.

The general vibe is that immigration are on the look out for people that spend a lot of time in Thailand on tourist visas, ie, why do you spend so much time here on 'holiday'? as that is what a tourist visa (non exempt visa) implies that is what you are doing, they may not necessarily be looking just for the back to back guys. But as I stated earlier, if they explain hat they work offshore and prove that (which shouldn't be diffulcult) and that they come here to see family or for relaxation etc on their times off they really shouldn't have a problem at all.

• Like 1

Could you explain why people with non-imm visas were turned away at Ranong - was it just because they didn't have tickets? Anyway, I didn't think a non-imm visa holder would be required to show a ticket, that's new. Were they non-imm B or non-imm O visas. I intend on getting a non-imm B multi-entry soon. Not that I normally go to Ranong for a re-entry (haven't been there since 2004 actually - went past in Ranong in May for the first time since then but not to cross the border only passing through town on my way back to Bangkok) but just want to make sure. Normally I cross the Lao, Cambodian or Mae Sot/Myawady (Myanmar) borders for my re-entries (or fly out depending on where I'm heading), but generally I go for business in those countries so I never actually just do a one day turnaround.

From the above it seems that you are living in Thailand and from Thailand make business trips to Laos, Cambodia and Myanmar. The multiple-entry non-B visa does not appear to be the correct visa for this purpose.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I'm going to be spending more time outside of Thailand than in Thailand soon so the non-B is definitely the best visa for me. Certainly not another tourist visa. I am not married (yet) so a non-O is not an option at this stage either. If I can get a multi non-B then I'm sure this will be my best option. Otherwise please suggest another visa category for me.

Maybe but on the other hand, there are people who spend between 1-5 days in Thailand about 20 times a year (such as my dad) who mainly use Thailand as either a transit point (for example, you can't fly from Sydney to Kunming the same day, you have to stay the night in BKK) or to make brief visits to the universities he is collaborating with, mostly on trips between Australia and China/India/Vietnam or Europe. I'm quite sure someone like him will continue to be admitted without any issues otherwise all hell will break loose in Thailand if that weren't permitted anymore, come on.

It depends more on HOW LONG someone spends in Thailand as opposed to being away. Someone here 6 times a year on visa exempt entries but spending 27-30 days each time may find themselves scrutinized, whereas someone with a collective total of 30 days in Thailand over 15-20 trips probably won't.

• Like 1

Well the "general vibe" here is way off track. They are trying to stop people who are continueously staying in Thailand on the wrong visa. If you are here for 180+ days a year you need to pay tax on your income. You are considered a resident for tax purposes. I dont think its unreasonable or very difficult to understand.

Edited by beammeup

@tomtomtom69

You may be right about discriminating between people ref how long they have spent here on previous visits, but is that really practical? Going through all those passports with a fine tooth comb, checking out prevous lengths of stays, you would be there all day waiting to get through. I agree with what you say though, they can't suddenly tell people like your Dad that he is no longer welcome, there would be murders, but it does still remain a grey area.

It depends more on HOW LONG someone spends in Thailand as opposed to being away. Someone here 6 times a year on visa exempt entries but spending 27-30 days each time may find themselves scrutinized, whereas someone with a collective total of 30 days in Thailand over 15-20 trips probably won't.

Correct.

I unfortunately see the same happening to those with multi-entry non-imm visas.

If they spend 90 days here, do a border-run, return for another 90 days, for years and years while getting a multi-entry visa every 15 months to enable them to do so, I think they might run into trouble in the future and be told to either get an extension (with proof of funds of course) or be denied entry or run into other issues.

Perhaps Non-Imm O multi-entry visas (for marriage or retirement) might be scraped altogether and the only option given would be to get the Single-Entry visa and you then have to extend it (with proof of funds etc.) within 90 days and that's it.

Pure speculation on my part, but I would not be surprised to see it happen within the next 6-12 months.

Edited by Deacon Bell

@tomtomtom69

You may be right about discriminating between people ref how long they have spent here on previous visits, but is that really practical? Going through all those passports with a fine tooth comb, checking out prevous lengths of stays, you would be there all day waiting to get through. I agree with what you say though, they can't suddenly tell people like your Dad that he is no longer welcome, there would be murders, but it does still remain a grey area.

I agree that it may be a grey area but yes it would be practical to check out how long people are staying or have stayed in the past and isn't that difficult at all - don't you think that in this day and age the immigration computer systems would be able to show this information in an instant? Shouldn't take more than a few seconds really. So yes, absolutely it's practical and it's what happens in other countries.

I remember watching an episode of UK border force i think it's called and a US passenger was admitted to the UK for only 2 or 3 days after she pleaded with immigration about needing more time to collect her belongings. This was after a lengthy stay on a previous visit just months earlier. She then came back a third time and was granted 1 day or something on that occasion. So in that case immigration knew exactly how long she had stayed. I don't recall if she had previously overstayed or not though. If however she were a business visitor staying only say a week or two at a time, coming and going regularly, chances are she would have never been pulled aside.

On this very forum a member mentioned how a Thai traveller had spent 3 weeks in Singapore on a 30-day visa exempt entry. Not 2 weeks later she returned for a wedding, hoping to stay about 3 days. She was unable to show proof she was a genuine tourist. She was subsequently denied entry on suspicion of working illegally and placed on the next flight back to Bangkok.

So looking at someone's travel history and asking them questions definitely helps ascertain their eligibility to enter.

Correct.

If they spend 90 days here, do a border-run, return for another 90 days, for years and years while getting a multi-entry visa every 15 months to enable them to do so, I think they might run into trouble in the future and be told to either get an extension (with proof of funds of course) or be denied entry or run into other issues.

Perhaps Non-Imm O multi-entry visas (for marriage or retirement) might be scraped altogether and the only option given would be to get the Single-Entry visa and you then have to extend it (with proof of funds etc.) within 90 days and that's it.

Pure speculation on my part, but I would not be surprised to see it happen within the next 6-12 months.

I agree that may be possible, but let's not jump the gun here. I think for now people in those categories should still generally be OK. What the future holds is anyone's guess though.

Well the "general vibe" here is way off track. They are trying to stop people who are continueously staying in Thailand on the wrong visa. If you are here for 180+ days a year you need to pay tax on your income. You are considered a resident for tax purposes. I dont think its unreasonable or very difficult to understand.

You definitely have a very apt user name, that's for sure.

Try not to get yourself so upset if someone has a different view to your own, it's a forum, remember!

@tomtomtom69

I agree that it may be a grey area but yes it would be practical to check out how long people are staying or have stayed in the past and isn't that difficult at all - don't you think that in this day and age the immigration computer systems would be able to show this information in an instant? Shouldn't take more than a few seconds really. So yes, absolutely it's practical and it's what happens in other countries.

I remember watching an episode of UK border force i think it's called and a US passenger was admitted to the UK for only 2 or 3 days after she pleaded with immigration about needing more time to collect her belongings. This was after a lengthy stay on a previous visit just months earlier. She then came back a third time and was granted 1 day or something on that occasion. So in that case immigration knew exactly how long she had stayed. I don't recall if she had previously overstayed or not though. If however she were a business visitor staying only say a week or two at a time, coming and going regularly, chances are she would have never been pulled aside.

On this very forum a member mentioned how a Thai traveller had spent 3 weeks in Singapore on a 30-day visa exempt entry. Not 2 weeks later she returned for a wedding, hoping to stay about 3 days. She was unable to show proof she was a genuine tourist. She was subsequently denied entry on suspicion of working illegally and placed on the next flight back to Bangkok.

So looking at someone's travel history and asking them questions definitely helps ascertain their eligibility to enter.

I completely disagree. If you have entered Thailand several times, and I assume that you have, then you should know that the officer always checks your history by flipping through your passport and NOT on the computer. I don't see that changing just because of these new rules. So flipping through all passports trying to establish lengths of previous stays and with questions etc, then I stand by what I say, ie it's not practical and you would be there all day.

Correct.

You are going down the very dangerous road of suggesting that people who who are here supporting wifes and children ie Thai women and children may no longer be allowedt o stay, or at least it would be made more diffulcult for them. You should back off on that as that would be absolutely absurd to say the least, comple and utter anarchy would prevail.

@tomtomtom69

I completely disagree. If you have entered Thailand several times, and I assume that you have, then you should know that the officer always checks your history by flipping through your passport and NOT on the computer. I don't see that changing just because of these new rules. So flipping through all passports trying to establish lengths of previous stays and with questions etc, then I stand by what I say, ie it's not practical and you would be there all day.

Yes but what would happen if you arrived with a new passport? How do you know what immigration's computers see? Come on, if Thai immigration was that far behind then we'd all be getting new passports after a few entries to fool immigration and those with multiple citizenships like me would be laughing all the way because with each new entry on a different passport, we'd be treated like a new person.

So with that being said it will be necessary for an immigration officer to scrutinize each traveller and separate the ones who are merely travelers (transiting Thailand on regular occasions) to the visa runners.

Unless you are closely connected to immigration and can prove you are right and I'm wrong then the way I understand the rules this is exactly what is happening. And unless you only arrived in Thailand yesterday you would have noticed that Thai immigration has always been relatively slow with processing travellers. It typically takes 2-5 minutes to process someone hence the 1+ hour lines at Suvarnabhumi or Don Muang, even 10+ years ago. Now it may even take longer.

• Like 1

@tomtomtom69

On this note:

I can remember when there was the 90 days in a 180 days period crackdown.

During that time, I lived in Cambodia and was entering Thailand frequently (just for a day or 2) to buy groceries.

Every time I entered Thailand, the Immigration Officer was frantically calculating my previous stays, but I just gave him a piece of paper (Excel Sheet (which listed every day I came in and left and also had the total count of the days I stayed in Thailand) and after he saw that he, checked it, said thank you and just stamped me in.

Maybe this will work again for you guys

• Like 1

Do u need return ticket if u got turist visa from laos. Proper visa in pasport not on arrival

Technically no, but given the current crackdown it might not be a bad idea to have one in case you are questioned at the border.

Technically, yes, based on the information published on the website of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. However, many Thai consulates are not asking for it and it remains to be seen whether this will change in future. Hopefully, it will not change, because it is unreasonable to ask a visa applicant to buy a ticket before he has the visa in his hands. Many tickets are non-refundable and most others are refundable only for a hefty fee.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

There were a few comments about calculating time spent in Thailand by the immigration. It looks like they are finally stepping into the IT age where every entry and exit is in the immigration database. Last time I arrived at swampy a year ago the officer scanned the barcode in my passport and started scrolling with the mouse. Didn't bother to look through the pages before stamping me in.

Once they get all border points online, expect cross referencing automatically from the database and a dialog presented to the officer by the system after scanning the passport. The integration with the Interpol database already gives a hint of this being implemented.

Computers are notoriously hard to bribe, too.

Only an option for someone with more dollars [baht] than sense. Just carries too much risk.

Seems like it's less risky than living a back-to-back existence. While not 100%, the question is- how much does one stand to lose on the counter risk? Million baht car, 5 million baht condo, 3 million baht boat? 500K seems a pretty reasonable risk to someone with assets to lose....

I have stated exactly what you have said in another post and coming from that angle I agree with you. However for the said group this would be a further 500,000 on top of everything else that a getting bleached for. I am basically aiming this at those who just want a relaxed life, spend a good part of the year in Thailand, abide by the law to a T, and just contribute to the economy but also have connection back home, but don't need to build houses for their teeluks, buy hiluxes for their teeluk's fathers and moto cy's for their brothers etc.

This option is risky. Wasn't it scrapped before and people were out of pocket???

There were a few comments about calculating time spent in Thailand by the immigration. It looks like they are finally stepping into the IT age where every entry and exit is in the immigration database. Last time I arrived at swampy a year ago the officer scanned the barcode in my passport and started scrolling with the mouse. Didn't bother to look through the pages before stamping me in.

Once they get all border points online, expect cross referencing automatically from the database and a dialog presented to the officer by the system after scanning the passport. The integration with the Interpol database already gives a hint of this being implemented.

Computers are notoriously hard to bribe, too.

I suspect that you and I both know how easy it would be to write code to give them a summary of the time spent in Thailand in any given period - I'm not going to give an example as someone will inevitably question my approach but once you have a series of dates it's a trivial exercise to create any mapping you need - including graphs for those who don't want to pore over figures all day. Some will bristle at the notion that it could come down to whether a computer 'decides' if you've breached a given threshold or not, but as you said computers are hard to bribe. Take some of the load off the IO and put it back onto a system that could be more easily standardised : 'this is the graph showing me how much time you've spent in Thailand over the last x days and these are our thresholds for entry to Thailand as a tourist'. Might be a bit tough with the current configuration of those booths, but if they want the process to appear transparent and equitable (and thats a big IF) then surely this is the way to go.

Perhaps I've spent too much time as a code monkey, but surely that beats the hell out of an IO simply smiling as he gives you the dreaded 'You're not a tourist !' line ? I'm not suggesting we remove the discretionary powers of the men and women in uniform - simply that Thailand needs to give them the tools they need to make objective decisions. If they can install Excel on their workstations, they can give them a single-click view of someone's travel history.

Edited by MrWorldwide

Correct.

You are going down the very dangerous road of suggesting that people who who are here supporting wifes and children ie Thai women and children may no longer be allowedt o stay, or at least it would be made more diffulcult for them. You should back off on that as that would be absolutely absurd to say the least, comple and utter anarchy would prevail.

Umm, he's speculating on an internet forum, not formulating government policy.

• Like 1

Correct.

They will be allowed to stay in such a scenario, by getting an annual extension of stay by providing the proof of appropriate funds as stated by the immigration law. No problem there.

They are cracking down on visa abuses. The Multi-entry system designed for people to come and go is being abused by people who cannot show the proof of funds to get an extension of stay and stay here 90 days at a time with a 5 minute border hop inbetween.

It is pure speculation on my part, but I would not be surprised to either see this multi-entry visa done away with and everybody told to get the appropriate extension of stay, or a crack down on those using them to live here indefinitely without showing any funds whatsoever (could be working illegally).

If this is the case, it seems reasonable to me. Apply for and receive an appropriate visa for ones situation. If one wishes to stay longer for whatever reason and qualify to extend the visa, make the application and if approved, you're good to go.

Whatever can be done to allow qualified foreign tourists, skilled workers, family members, and retirees to work and reside in Thailand is to be applauded; and whatever can be done to keep out the rest is to be equally applauded.

I have not heard any reports of people being denied entry on a non-o visa.

From ubonjoe, "I think that the Ranong crossings could be added to the list. Even those with multiple entry non-o visas were turned away there along with tourist visas."

I really meant to write non immigrant visas not only non-o. To early in the morning I guess. But there have been people questioned when entering on non-o visas.

You must remember that non-o visas can be issued for many reasons. Having proof of the reason for having one should end the questions if you are married or have a Thai child. Others may have more problems.

Those with multiple entry non-b's are being asked for a work permit. If no work permit you need to be prepared to show a reason for having one.

Joe, that's great info. I have never taken my marriage cert. when doing border runs, but will do so from now on. I had already planned on making sure i had easy access to 20k baht, just in case they asked.

Exactly, back on page 4 i think there was a article in Phuket were they weren't going to let people cross cause the farang didn't have the cash

to show 10,000 and or 20,000. The IO didn't know or aleast wasn't informed that foreigners can show a atm slip and or cash.The man in charge at the district office stepped in and instructed the boader offices not only cash.How often does this scenario play ?

So if they are turning people back with a valid tourist visa? What will happen to people who have the elite visa? I have applied and been approved after the police and bankruptacy background check.

I asked the elite service agent what type of visa i would recieve and was told it is a "Special TR" visa so essentially a tourist visa. I have yet to hand over the 500k as i am very concerned about this happening to me at the border if the officer is having a bad day. I was in Krabi immigration to get a re-entry permit to my TR visa recently and spoke to the chief their as she spoke very good english. I asked her for her advice on the best visa for me and she suggested having a baby or getting married.

I suggested the 500k elite visa and she had no idea this even existed. How many other immigration officials dont know about this? Afterall the elite scheme is run by TAT not immigration.

How can one be sure this "special TR" is going to be good for the whole 5 years?

For all the people on 'O' visas on here that say get the correct visa if you want to stay, give an honest answer if you would hand over the 500k? I know alot of over 50's who dont even like having the 800k in the bank for the extension, at least you still get to keep that money.

I think it would be fair to say that if you have forked out 500k for a visa you will not have any problems at all.

Essex,

I think the same however the people being turned back with TR visas also paid money for their visas (not 500k admitedly) but the other thing that worries me is the chief at Krabi had never heard of this elite visa? How many other immigration officers dont know? I would have thought any memo through immigration the cheif shoud at least know about it.

I wonder if they just check the passport for the stamps, or they also look at their computers. Actually we are all registered in a database, but it seems they don't use that to check. What if you renew your passport, and have a brand, clean ones? I have never seen this mentioned, but actually this makes quite a big difference, right?

thats what I did

waiting for new one