Volunteers in Chiang Rai

Rotweiler

A lot of North Americans and Europeans think it's a hoot to "volunteer" for a week or two as a part of their vacation to Thailand.

Most of them are misguided, under-informed, and often do more damage than good to the communities they "volunteer" in.

A number of years ago, I met a young man from Northern USA who was volunteering to 2 weeks in a LISU village in Chiang Rai Province. He was teaching the children in the village English", he said. The reality was he was looking to get l**d as often as possible - after all, he smiled "I'm in Thailand".

Last week I met a young Belgian couple in our city who had been here a week and were planning an at least another 2 - as volunteers. I asked what they were providing. Huh. Seems they were volunteering as playmates for the children in Doi *****, getting their trip paid for by their home missionary organizations. "We'll go to Samui after we're done here. Three weeks. Get rid of the damp here and have a real vacation".

Many years ago on a visit to my birth country, I was approached by a lady who asked if it were better to provide original or generic aspirin to the hill tribes people when she was there. "After all, they have nothing, no health care, no medicine, no................ etc etc ...... and we'll head off to Phuket as soon as we are done there".

What created this fit of distemper was a visit at my door from representatives of a well-known missionary organization from North America. They had apparently seen the flags flying at our gate.

They wanted to know where they could find some heathens they could help. They showed us their bottles of generic aspirin and antibiotics (very stale-dated as well).

This crap must stop.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have been planning on coming and volunteering for next 2 years. Should I not?

If your volunteer plan is to try and spread YOUR religious beliefs then stay home. If your plan is to keep your "faith" to yourself and sincerely attempt to help some very poor people then there are many areas where it is needed.

Contrary to what a lot of western churches seem to believe the Thai people have their own beliefs and faith and really are not in need of "saving" .

• Like 2

I was planning on bringing laptops/ipads to schools. I was also going increase the Information infrastructure as well. I would likely teach classes in various computer technologies.

I have been an Certified trainer for years. I am rather bored with corporate life and wanted to share my talents.

I was planning on bringing laptops/ipads to schools. I was also going increase the Information infrastructure as well. I would likely teach classes in various computer technologies.

I have been an Certified trainer for years. I am rather bored with corporate life and wanted to share my talents.

Unfortunately in Thailand even to volunteer as you would like to do then you are suppose to have a work permit even if you do not get paid....this alone scares away a lot of people who would like to help.

There are ways "around" the work permit thing though it is not without some risk IF you manage to piss off some Thai person or other farang and they blow the whistle on you.

When do you plan to come to CR as I might be able to help you figure it out?

I was planning on coming in November. I am trying to avoid snow here. I looked at places all over and decided on coming to CR. The money I have to spend on helping others will go much further in CR than most places. I would be interested in Visa ideas. a 90 day visa is not enough time to get much accomplished.

I was planning on coming in November. I am trying to avoid snow here. I looked at places all over and decided on coming to CR. The money I have to spend on helping others will go much further in CR than most places. I would be interested in Visa ideas. a 90 day visa is not enough time to get much accomplished.

Send me a PM and i'll give you some more info.

I consider such people harmeless but deluded.Let them be .

Maybe the young people that try to help are harmless.

But, there are some groups (organizations?) that are not so innocent.

Every year there are groups that come to the government school, next door to me in Mae Chan.

They make the kids write a letter seeking a 'god father/mother'. They are given a 'pre-written letter' to copy. The kids don't know enough English to understand the letter.

The 'sponsors' are from many countries. They 'adopt' a kid and send money.

However, the only thing the kids have gotten is a very flimsy uniform and pair of shoes that don't usually fit. The uniforms are substandard copies of what parents buy in Lotus.

This is done without permission from the parents. However, the school administrator and teachers let these people in the school and cooperate with them.

I don't know what's in it for the school or the teachers.

• Like 1

Not usure what you mean by the "Thai" people - but in general, the people here don't really care one way or another. For the lan na, it is mostly a source of amusement. The con doi accept them to a point - assuming they bring lots of nice presents and pay them during your stay there.

In general, does it seem that the majority of Thai people would prefer there to be no volunteers in CR?

• Like 2

I absolutely would be doing it for selfish reasons. I have developed an insatiable desire to help people. This all started rather recently at the Asian Grocery here. A woman was unable to pay for her groceries and I got the opportunity to buy them for her. It felt freaking GREAT! The Filipino people in town started calling me Mr. Nice Guy. This felt even better! I have done some volunteer work in the past and enjoyed it. It is much more satisfying than the pat on the back from an employer.

Other selfish reason are the peppers look awesome. I love chile peppers. Actually, all the food looks spectacular. I am not too sure about crickets though. I would have to work up to that.

• Like 1

I absolutely would be doing it for selfish reasons. I have developed an insatiable desire to help people. This all started rather recently at the Asian Grocery here. A woman was unable to pay for her groceries and I got the opportunity to buy them for her. It felt freaking GREAT! The Filipino people in town started calling me Mr. Nice Guy. This felt even better! I have done some volunteer work in the past and enjoyed it. It is much more satisfying than the pat on the back from an employer.

Other selfish reason are the peppers look awesome. I love chile peppers. Actually, all the food looks spectacular. I am not too sure about crickets though. I would have to work up to that.

If you are not sure whether you will like crickets or not read the "Thais need cricket" thread.

I think, I have a situation arranged to deliver a bunch of laptops to the schools in the area. I am also willing and able to teach people advanced computing skills. I have been a Certified Computer Trainer for many years. I would be thrilled to buy a uniform for a kid in need. The kids here, have more money than sense. They are rude and I have no desire to help them.

I am sure it will work out. I have traveled a great deal (including southern Thailand) and I have always been able to make friends and get along.

The most valuable thing we all have is TIME......you can always make more money but you can never make more time. And as many of us are retired we do seem to have some extra time on our hands.

To those who are willing to give some of their time to help others I think most will find it to be one of the most gratifying things you can do...of course donating some bucks or some equipment etc is also appreciated.

The kids in Chiang Rai have sure repaid me with humour and happiness many times over for the little time, energy, and money I have "donated" to try and help teach them a bit about the big world out there and help them to get up the nerve to actually try and speak and understand a bit more English...

There are some very generous farangs in CR who do try and help.

I think generally you will find that most all of the CR expats are all for helping some people out as long as the agenda doesn't include religion or politics or sex or misdirected funds.

Bringing computers and/or tablets from overseas will not provide a standard Thai Language keyboard or programming.

Yes, there are other ways to go on this issue but the keyboard issue is hard to resolve.

Yes, a plethora of pirate programmes may also be available "here and there" but is that what you want to teach?

Edited by AjarnP
  • Like 1

I have been planning on coming and volunteering for next 2 years. Should I not?

come and do not listen to the people who think they run this city welcome people who volunteer are doing good for other people it does not matter where they go to do it