BANGKOK
Sign in to follow this  
Rotweiler

Volunteers in Chiang Rai

I think you will need to fend for yourself, though there may be others in the game who are willing to mentor you, if they don't see you as competition.

I absolutely would be doing it for selfish reasons. I have developed an insatiable desire to help people. This all started rather recently at the Asian Grocery here. A woman was unable to pay for her groceries and I got the opportunity to buy them for her. It felt freaking GREAT! The Filipino people in town started calling me Mr. Nice Guy. This felt even better! I have done some volunteer work in the past and enjoyed it. It is much more satisfying than the pat on the back from an employer.

Other selfish reason are the peppers look awesome. I love chile peppers. Actually, all the food looks spectacular. I am not too sure about crickets though. I would have to work up to that.

• Like 1

Yea, I would'nt be seen as competition. I work for free and have a perfect wife wink.png

Edited by akw

VillageFarang - I loved your pictures by the way on this site. Oddly, the one of the stump in the water caught my eye for some reason.

I absolutely would be doing it for selfish reasons. I have developed an insatiable desire to help people. This all started rather recently at the Asian Grocery here. A woman was unable to pay for her groceries and I got the opportunity to buy them for her. It felt freaking GREAT! The Filipino people in town started calling me Mr. Nice Guy. This felt even better! I have done some volunteer work in the past and enjoyed it. It is much more satisfying than the pat on the back from an employer.

Other selfish reason are the peppers look awesome. I love chile peppers. Actually, all the food looks spectacular. I am not too sure about crickets though. I would have to work up to that.

If you are not sure whether you will like crickets or not read the "Thais need cricket" thread.

I think, I have a situation arranged to deliver a bunch of laptops to the schools in the area. I am also willing and able to teach people advanced computing skills. I have been a Certified Computer Trainer for many years. I would be thrilled to buy a uniform for a kid in need. The kids here, have more money than sense. They are rude and I have no desire to help them.

I am sure it will work out. I have traveled a great deal (including southern Thailand) and I have always been able to make friends and get along.

The most valuable thing we all have is TIME......you can always make more money but you can never make more time. And as many of us are retired we do seem to have some extra time on our hands.

To those who are willing to give some of their time to help others I think most will find it to be one of the most gratifying things you can do...of course donating some bucks or some equipment etc is also appreciated.

The kids in Chiang Rai have sure repaid me with humour and happiness many times over for the little time, energy, and money I have "donated" to try and help teach them a bit about the big world out there and help them to get up the nerve to actually try and speak and understand a bit more English...

There are some very generous farangs in CR who do try and help.

I think generally you will find that most all of the CR expats are all for helping some people out as long as the agenda doesn't include religion or politics or sex or misdirected funds.

Beware of Customs and the taxes if you show up unprepared with a lot of computers and tablets.

• Like 1

I like the post on Time, what every child needs. Also a continuous amount of time. 2 weeks is no time. As for gifts anything is nice, but the best thing to give is what they want. And that is not always easy.

• Like 1

Bringing computers and/or tablets from overseas will not provide a standard Thai Language keyboard or programming.

Yes, there are other ways to go on this issue but the keyboard issue is hard to resolve.

Yes, a plethora of pirate programmes may also be available "here and there" but is that what you want to teach?

Edited by AjarnP
  • Like 1

I have been planning on coming and volunteering for next 2 years. Should I not?

come and do not listen to the people who think they run this city welcome people who volunteer are doing good for other people it does not matter where they go to do it