Volunteers in Chiang Rai

Rotweiler

The keyboard shouldn't be too much of a problem. I gave my old laptop from Australia to a student and they bought a sticker set from a shop that had the Thai and English characters on each key. Can't remember how much, but I think it was only 20 or 30 baht.

Edited by Riggi
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I have seen first hand the damage done by ‘do-gooders’ who come & go in other countries, whether they be there as religious missionaries, government aid or private philanthropic organisations. Some do gooders do actually mange to do good, but many make the same basic mistake of believing they know what is best for those they are ‘helping’.

That said, if/when we come to live in Thailand, I would like to have a worthwhile means of occupying myself & consider some form of ‘volunteering’ might fulfil this need as well as finding a ‘way in’ to the local community. Probably far more likely it might be in the form of assisting neighbours with building or gardening projects, but I’d love the opportunity to develop a regular long term relationship with an elephant! smile.png

I have seen first hand the damage done by do-gooders who come & go in other countries, whether they be there as religious missionaries, government aid or private philanthropic organisations. Some do gooders do actually mange to do good, but many make the same basic mistake of believing they know what is best for those they are helping.

That said, if/when we come to live in Thailand, I would like to have a worthwhile means of occupying myself & consider some form of volunteering might fulfil this need as well as finding a way in to the local community. Probably far more likely it might be in the form of assisting neighbours with building or gardening projects, but Id love the opportunity to develop a regular long term relationship with an elephant! smile.png

If you really want to develolp a relationship with an elephant you consider reading this for early study http://help.elephantsworld.org/Elephant_care_manual_for_mahouts_2005.pdf and then doing a Mahmout Course at The Lampang Elephant Conservation centre,. I believe they have two types of course, one you stay cheaply near the elephants and help a mahout as he works with them and one where you pay a lot more and have air conditioned accomodation and a more direct learning and less work.

Edited by harrry
  • Like 2

• 2 months later...

I was planning on bringing laptops/ipads to schools. I was also going increase the Information infrastructure as well. I would likely teach classes in various computer technologies.

I have been an Certified trainer for years. I am rather bored with corporate life and wanted to share my talents.

About tablets etc .. there r more than U can imagine. Even ppl in the hills r NOT as inadequate as most could imagine ;>

They just lik their way of dressing up.

On top, these stuff needs electricity, who is goin to pay the bill? ;>

But if U really wish to hav some experience on the Cr life, U can consider as a volunteer in CRICS. They always need teacher - free ... :>

More bible beaters trying to shove their "faith" down the throats of others......

"I get to enjoy sharing Christ with students from non-Christian families while helping missionaries spread the Word!" Cindy M., 3rd Grade Teacher CRICS

Edited by pomchop
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

I volunteered a few years ago in Chiang Rai. I signed up for a year in an "orphanage". I left after two weeks, when I found out that the kids (Akkha and Lisu) were not in fact orphans. They had been taken from their villages in exchange for money, so that the organization could claim international funding…
The kids were thrown out of the "orphanage" when they reached the age of 18, and having lost contact with their tribes, they ended on the streets.

I suggest that people watch the following film:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LC9n6CiwfVg

Some organizations do good work but they are few and far between. If anyone wants to volunteer, they should thoroughly research the organization.

I volunteered a few years ago in Chiang Rai. I signed up for a year in an "orphanage". I left after two weeks, when I found out that the kids (Akkha and Lisu) were not in fact orphans. They had been taken from their villages in exchange for money, so that the organization could claim international funding…

The kids were thrown out of the "orphanage" when they reached the age of 18, and having lost contact with their tribes, they ended on the streets.

I suggest that people watch the following film:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LC9n6CiwfVg

Some organizations do good work but they are few and far between. If anyone wants to volunteer, they should thoroughly research the organization.

Good advice. Amazingly there are a few that CHARGE the volunteers several thousand USD to volunteer and even more AMAZING is the amount of money they are able to FLEECE out of perhaps well meaning volunteers.

Recently became aware of yet another missionary/money-making scheme based here http://medialightasia.com/home/

Seems to be a family-run project where the main benefactors are the family themself, not only do they receive tax-free donations from America but they also charge for their media course, donations used mainly frequent expensive coffee shops in/around Chiang Rai with lots of nice rented houses and international travel, definitely big fans of Je$u$.

Edited by pastafarian

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Rotweiler,

I was in a central coffee shop recently (1 coffee half the price of an agricultural worker's daily pay). The next table was occupied by some wierd nice white/pink boys and girls from Australia and UK, 2 days' experience collectively in T-L ... and full of wisdom in how to tame the natives...

what should I do,

yours sincerely,

T

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.volunteerhq.org/volunteer-in-thailand

here's another one..pay $300 a week to sleep in a crappy dorm room and go work for free? How much profit is made on these "volunteers"? Unfortunately it seems that CR province has become the HUB of this entire INDUSTRY.

Hi PC, I agree about the Christian profiteers here. And I also agree that CR province seems to be probably the most established centre of Christian missionaries inside Thailand. You know, I really find this wierd. I am British, my country gave up (in general) missionary work in the early 20th century or before (100 years or before), ie during the days of rampant colonialism. Even British Christians would probably find the idea of missionary work primitive.

Most (actually all) of the the Christian missionaries that I know of here are from the US. Pls don't interepret this as a criticism of US citizens, or even of Christianity. But I find this kind of evangelism wierd and distasteful in the extreme.

I met a number of Korean missionaries, who arrived here recently.

They were working in China and could speak one of the languages.

Now, they're learning Thai. I guess they'll be here awhile.

Thabks RJB, I met the results of a number of US missionaries that arrived here 40 years ago.....

the missionaries seem to want to be here on long term holiday, as they have no other way of getting a visa....these ppl are not at the bottom of farang society in my opinion, but the are close to it.....

Edited by tom07

I live in CR and work full-time. There is so much need here I contacted the local charities and offered my services advising or consulting in the mental health and addiction field (I have been here 5 years, designing and training Thai facilities in Western, effective mental health programs) and made clear I would do it for free, as I am already employed. The only replies I got were from the ones that said we don't actually want your help, but we will take a cash donation....