Phuket restaurateur strikes back at Patong mayor's family

webfact

Phuket restaurateur strikes back at Patong mayor's family
Suthicha Sirirat

1404985115_1-org.jpg
Suriya Sinsoke (right) hands her complaint to Damrongtham Centre chief Prapan Kanprasang.

PHUKET: -- The Patong businesswoman who was told yesterday (July 9) by Municipal officials that she must tear down her restaurants on public land next to the beach in Patong, has struck back.

Suriya Sinsoke was one of the loudest voices among the crowd of business people who protested against the Army-backed municipal drive to clear Patong Beach of illegal businesses.

In the afternoon she visited the provincial ombudsman’s office, the Damrongtham Centre, to hand over a complaint alleging that a resort near the beach, belonging to a member of Mayor Chalermluck Kebsap’s family, was illegal.

She asked officials to check the building which, she alleged in her complaint, exceeded height regulations in Patong.

The complaint alleged that in 2008 and 2009, the then-mayor Pian Keesin, approved the construction of a four-floor building that was then described as a restaurant with accommodation.

A couple of years later, he also signed the approvals for a fifth floor to be added to the building, which became the 81-bedroom Baan Laimai Beach Resort.

The first application was made by Pakjan Kepsap and the second by Phuket Kebsap Property.

But, Ms Suriya alleged, the company later added a basement and a sixth floor, but without the correct permits.

Ms Suriya told Damrongtham Centre director Prapan Kanprasang, “I hope the process will be fast and fair.”

Asked by The Phuket News if she was doing this to take revenge for the Mayor and the mun9icipal team ordering her to pull down her illegal restaurants, Ms Suriya replied, “I have known about this situation for a long time and I thought the public should know about it.”

Mayor Chalermluck told The Phuket News, “This is nothing to do with me. But I am a politician, so it is normal that some people may try to do things that affect me [negatively].”

Attempts to reach Phuket Kebsap Property today were unsuccessful.

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-restaurateur-strikes-back-at-patong-mayor%E2%80%99s-family-47299.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2014-07-10

• Like 1

And now the dog fighting has started - where is my popcorn.

Don't you mean, "the cat fighting has started?" biggrin.png

I hope this has a snow ball effect and ALL of the ten big families on Phuket start dropping each other in it. biggrin.png

How about 'handbags at dawn' laugh.png

"You want to crap on my yard, then I'm gonna crap on yours!"

More a case of, "If I'm going to lose my business, I'm taking yours down with me."

Unfortunately, it appears their anger is aimed at the current Mayor, and not the ex-Mayor, who was in power when these businesses were "allowed" to start.

Keesin was in power for so long, and pillaged Patong, and had a major influence on the downturn of the western tourist market for the tourism industry on Phuket.

He is the one who should be held to account for his corruption.

Correct, he and his son were running Patong into the ground for so long that when I saw the headline, I thought for sure this was about the "contract" and Pian Keesin. Doesn't Pian's Pisona group also have a dodgy hotel encroaching on the beach there?

• Like 1

More a case of, "If I'm going to lose my business, I'm taking yours down with me."

Unfortunately, it appears their anger is aimed at the current Mayor, and not the ex-Mayor, who was in power when these businesses were "allowed" to start.

Keesin was in power for so long, and pillaged Patong, and had a major influence on the downturn of the western tourist market for the tourism industry on Phuket.

Correct, he and his son were running Patong into the ground for so long that when I saw the headline, I thought for sure this was about the "contract" and Pian Keesin. Doesn't Pian's Pisona group also have a dodgy hotel encroaching on the beach there?

Patong Bay Garden Resort. Always thought that their swim pool and beach bar were well encroaching the public beach.

• Like 1

Did she also hand over her "contract" for her restaurant that was signed by the local municipality? Seems no mention of that. I also wonder how much more dirty laundry will be aired, this could be very interesting and entertaining.

There's so much dirty laundry, you'll have to bring in more migrant workers just to handle the overflow!

... but does she have the kind of "close protection" that she is likely to need if it comes to court proceedings and she is called as a witness...?!

Dog fighting? Cat fighting? I say it's more like piranhas! When the there is food around huge masses of them get along perfectly. When the easy food starts to run thin, they look for the sick or injured....when the sick and injured prey are gone, they turn each other to eat.

Patong Bay Garden Resort. Always thought that their swim pool and beach bar were well encroaching the public beach.

I stayed at Patong Bay Resort 3-4 times before moving to Phuket permanently.

I understand one small bar on the beach in front of the resort has already gone, and there may be plans to remove parts of the upstairs bar and restaurant extensions made a few years ago.

I don't think the swimming pool encroaches on the beach, at least no more than the neighbouring, and upmarket, La Flora and Impiana Resorts. Unless you consider everything to the west of the beach road to be encroaching, I would think the main infrastructure of Patong Bay Resort would be safe.

I think it may be a bit beyond even the powers of the Army to raze everything in that section.

Edited by Old Croc

And now the dog fighting has started - where is my popcorn.

This is just great, I mean this way the secrets come up and more action will be taken (hopefully). It could snowball into a clean Phuket.

Or it could mean that those big guns who have skeletons in their closet and who are supposed to clean up Phuket will think twice just in case they get 'uncovered' too. Hope you are right but IMO the only way forward is to have Non Phuket people take over the job of cleaning up and investigate every business including, and especially those owned by so called VIT's (replaced P {People) with T (T**d) the thai name for the 'derier' of the human's anatomy).

After all's done in Phuket, let's hope the clean-up task-force moves on to Samui next ....

Spot on. So far, Samui has remained untouched. The same multi millionaire families are running the island as if nothing happened. The same mafia taxi rackets continue to charge 200 baht for 1 km. The same inept police roam the island looking for a payday. Still no traffic safety whatsoever, even though the island has the unique distinction of having the highest death rate on the roads per capita, as nearly anyplace on this planet, and certainly the highest in Thailand. The ambulance companies, and the hospitals love it, but is that a good reason to make it so? Samui needs so much work. The mayor has been trying, and to be fair, he has accomplished a lot. But, he is up against a lot of criminals, and a lot of entrenched interests. Some of which need to be tried, convicted, and sentence to long terms in prison, before any of this will be cleaned up. Not to mention the environmental catastrophe Samui has become. But, that is for another post.

Ahhh, yes, the Pisona Group.

I think "Pisona" is short for "PIS-ON-Anyone." smile.png

Edited by NamKangMan
  • Like 1