Where Oh, Where Oh, To Live

I've posted something to this effect before but with out much result, so here it is again. Bumming around SE Asia on and off over the last 5 years, Vietnam vet so have used Saigon as sort of my second home but as they say "the times they are a changing". So I'm thinking Thailand might be a better place. The cost of living in Saigon is increasing while services are decreasing and there is the subtle and not so stubble issue of life in a communist state.

On my visits to Thailand, Thai's seem to be a pretty kicked back sort, the government has its issues but still seems easier to deal with and more predictable than the Vietnamese. Also, Saigon is a city of about 11 million people and the congestion as here in California is getting me down. Though, while peace and quite is good I not that old that I can do with out it all together, so I need it with in my reach. Oh ya and as most I would also like to have the ocean with in my reach.

I'm putting together a list of potential places such as Bangkok, Chiang Mai, Hua Hin, Phuket and a visit to Issan for possibles. I'm also taken a look at the Philippines.

So can anyone give any personal insights to where is the spot or how to find it. Thanks, Doug http://vietnam-now.com

Hi Doug,

I am in the same position.Visted Hau Hin, nice but very quite, some golf,quality of houses not so good, finish ect.Definatly better beaches than Pattaya.

Chang Mai, no beaches so why is this in your itinery?

Pattaya.

Golfing good, houses getting better, beaches not so good,close to airport.

Depends on what you are into, me, golf and friends.Good food happy faces so Pattaya wins..

I was going to buy here but I will rent now and look around, some good cheaper condos out there

and more coming.......a small well run condo to lock up will do for now.

Issan, I would like to vist , met a few peopel who live there and come dow to Pattaya for hols ,which could be the best of both worlds.

Philipines.

Visted there but the people from my experience are not so friendly as Thais( sorry just from my experience).

Many beautiful places Boracay ect but not sure about living there.

I agree with Eddy-Ham that Pattaya, even with all its faults, is probably the best bet..though given your wish-list above, you should probably live just outside of the resort area..maybe on the Jomtien side.

There's also the Pattaya suicide issue (2 shots to the back of the head the police say before he lept to his death from the 12th floor..). Guys in your age group seem to be the number one demographic of this phenomenon and need to take care...The place is still quite definitely the Wild West...

Thanks guys,

Nobody mentioned Phuket which is on my list. On the water like Pattaya but maybe a little more upscale and of course harder to get to than Pattaya. Pattaya to me seems to be the same GI type, R&R spot in was during Nam but all the GI's are older now and no longer work for the government but many have the same mentality. Also, I'm not a golfer.

You asked why Chiang Mai. I have visited there and had ok experiences but many expats I've ran into seem to think it's great spot and I put it back on my list.

Also, Issan is on the Mekong, a far cry from the beach scene but spent some time on a farm up there and it was great. She is gone now as are my water buffalo. Not sure what reality would be like now a days.

How about living in Bangkok or in the surrounding area's? Not on the coast but close. Doug http://vietnam-now.com

Hello Doug.

How about BKK? :o

Well the pollution is so bad I walked around this great city in shorts and short-sleeved shirts for 5 years and never once got sunburnt.

Have a look at Phuket & Krabi.

Krabi is only a couple of hours away from the action, in Phuket, if you get bored.

BTW, nice website. :D

Hello Doug.

How about BKK? :o

Well the pollution is so bad I walked around this great city in shorts and short-sleeved shirts for 5 years and never once got sunburnt.

Have a look at Phuket & Krabi.

Krabi is only a couple of hours away from the action, in Phuket, if you get bored.

BTW, nice website. :D

In the hot season the pollution levels in Chiang Mai are worse than in Bangkok. Not only from cars / lorries etc but the uncontrolled forest burning creates such a smog the mountain disappears from view for months at a time. As mentioned by another poster no beach but last year the various floods created some interesting muddy sand bars on most roads between the river and city centre.

BUT I still like it.

• 1 month later...

Chiang Mai, Hua Hin, Phuket and Pattaya are all touristy, packed will holidaymakers, and thus more expensive (chang mai the least) than the other large cities in Thailand.

From your list the west side of Bangkok, the Thonburi side, has it all - klongs, river, sea some 1h drive - is green, peaceful and reasonable clean.

Chiang Mai, Hua Hin, Phuket and Pattaya are all touristy, packed will holidaymakers, and thus more expensive (chang mai the least) than the other large cities in Thailand.

From your list the west side of Bangkok, the Thonburi side, has it all - klongs, river, sea some 1h drive - is green, peaceful and reasonable clean.

Our home is for sale here in Bangbon 4 bed 2 bathroom, small surrounding garden. It's the largest house on this estate.. The area may be to busy for you though. The estate is very quite as long as you don't mind being woken up by people selling food at 6am. I really like it here as just 300yrd away it is very busy with markets and other businesses. Just over an hour away is Pattaya, the other way is Samut. There is also a beach near by but i've never been and netther has my girlfriend so i couldn't comment on that. There are local supermarkets within 10-20 mins depending on traffic.

The reason for sale is we want to buy another property down the road where my girlfriend wants to run her business.

If anyone is interested i can send pictures,

before you commit yourself to buying a property in thailand check legal stuff on the subject. Solution might be renting something long term - before jumping on a deep water. You will have time to see if you like the place and look for some alternatives. It's easy to buy - but it might not be the best option.

Being a fellow Californian, I have found BKK traffic worse.

Haven't been to the Thonburi side as a previous poster mentioned.

I like the Hua Hin area, even though the city gets busy on weekends. You can get away from the city fairly quickly, and just limit the weekend visits.

Prices seem higher than other less traveled areas, but if you don't mind being away from downtown, there can be decent prices

Wish the scuba was closer though!

before you commit yourself to buying a property in thailand check legal stuff on the subject. Solution might be renting something long term - before jumping on a deep water. You will have time to see if you like the place and look for some alternatives. It's easy to buy - but it might not be the best option.
Edited by BlimeyCharlie

• 3 weeks later...

Well Doug,

as a real estate broker i can give you my view of interesting places to buy:

-Bangkok: everything is to do and find here in this busy world city and its pollution, i love bangkok but not sure if i ever Could live here but for going out its the best.....appreciation of the property will always go upwards...

-Cha-am & Hua-hin: Still the weekend place for most of the bangkok people but making a clear spot on the map the last 2 years, prices are still cheap but rising and the area is still relative unspoiled by tourism

-Koh Samui: Well, this island have it all except for good roads then, but quality of property here is the best in Thailand, especially with the company i work with ( the real european homes with WALLS of 23cm and not 9cm walls like thai homes), biggest company in samui and Nr.1 in construction, european quality homes and villas, if you look for quality at an affordable price this is the place to be, you will not be satisfied. Property prices here are almost the same as phuket but here you get more value for your money and you can almost be sure to make a good appreciation on your investement in the future........Here you have the feeling you live on an island and koh samui is becoming the island for expats in the near future, almost like pattaya, except that pattaya is not an island.

-Phuket: I find phuket a nice place to stay but i don't get the feeling that you live on an island....some people love it, some don't, choice is up to you.......Prices will still rise the coming years, maybe not as much as in samui but still a good average........Phuket is big, so look for the unspoiled places more in the northern area direction Phagn Nga, this is the place for the coming years because the south is to expensive for most us now.

-Krabi: especially Ao Nang....great place to invest now with the new infrastructures and roads almost finish now i guess....went there last time in december last year.....great beach, lots of space and quiet........not to much tourism and affordable prices for property

-Pattaya: Too much have been build there the last years, hard to say how the market gonna react on that......oversupply of houses and appartements......i guess prices will stabilisize now....but still a great place for the nightlife and a lot of expats from all over the world.

Last tip: for people who want to buy on the long term........Sichon, Ban Phe.....Phang Nga bay, Pethburi and Pranburi.

Thaibel Asia Co.Ltd :o