Am I being cheap?

benj005

I need an opinion(s) on my issue. Anyway, I am currently living in Bangkok with my girlfriend. I have only been with her for 3 weeks.I told her that if I was going to live in Bangkok with her then I was going to pay the rent. I don't mind it's only $220 USD a month. We share food payment and other things that we need on a daily basis.

We went to see her mother last weekend in Korat. It's a 4 hour ride from Bangkok. My girlfriend was mad at me because I didn't give her gas money and I didn't get her mom a gift. She had to spend $3,500 baht for the ride plus lunch on Sunday. I didn't give her any money while we were in Korat.

So now we are back home and she wants me to help her with half of the $3,500 baht. I keep asking her how much and she keeps saying "up to you." Also, we went to the dentist 2 days ago and I paid for a cavity that she needed filled. That was $800 baht. Anyway, I relented and gave her $1,000 baht for gas, stay at mom's house and lunch on Sunday. I said that we split food but normally I am the one paying if we go out. She will buy food and bring home occasionally, but it's normally street food so it's not expensive.

Should I have given her the $1000 baht. I'm a bit of a tight wad, and I believe in financial responsibility. It seems like most Thais would rather spend money.

We are going on a budget. I told her! I don't think she understands yet. :)

Edited by benj005

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3500B for gas to Korat???

Get a bus.

I can get from Khon Kaen to Bkk in my car for 900 Baht.

Any woman that says, "up to you" more than one a year is a money-grabbing ex pro. - dump her before she dumps you.

Does she have a job?

She had to pay her friend to take us. He also slept the night at her mom's house. I thought 3,500 baht was too much as well.

Get a bus.

Any woman that says, "up to you" more than one a year is a money-grabbing ex pro. - dump her before she dumps you.

Does she have a job?

yeah, that's a fair amount of gas - although I assume the "freind" wasn't going to it for free.

Does the OP have a job?

No woman capable of financial prudence and responsibility would move in with a guy within 3 weeks of meeting him.

Well we were going out for a year. It was a long distance relationship, but it wasn't like I just met her.

Thai women have such a bad reputation when it comes to money, so I am always on my guard with my girlfriend. I know its not the right thing to do, but its my personality. I also haven't been in a relationship in a long while. I've only had to spend money on myself. :)

Dont expect her to change anytime soon.Thai women think you are made of money,

I guess. I've read a few horror stories on how farang(s) have been duped out of their money by their Thai girlfriend.

I know it's not good to think like this.

OP what nationality are you?

American. Italian/Irish with some Jewish blood from mom's side.

That's where the money thing comes in. smile.png

Jewish Mom. No woman is good enough for my little prince.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Get a bus.

Does she have a job?

She had to pay her friend to take us. He also slept the night at her mom's house. I thought 3,500 baht was too much as well.

As well as being cheap, I think you might be a little simple to.

Simply from under the bridge me thinks.......................coffee1.gif

• Like 1

My girlfriend is a very hard worker. She works 40-50 hours a week. Its just that she doesn't make a lot of money.

I forgot to mention that we went to a soccer game last week. Free VIP seats. I didn't pay a dime. Free food/beer and a ride to the game.

Hmm... Maybe I am cheap.

Edited by benj005
  • Like 1

Thai women have such a bad reputation when it comes to money, so I am always on my guard with my girlfriend. I know its not the right thing to do, but its my personality. I also haven't been in a relationship in a long while. I've only had to spend money on myself. smile.png

Thai women as a group are generally frugal when it comes to spending money. The exceptions are Thai women who date farangs.

Ah...maybe the stories that I've been reading have more to do with the love relationships between bar girls and farang.

Get a bus.

Does she have a job?

Are you sure the friend is not her husband ?

Not that I an being cynical.

• Like 1