1 Year Non Immigrant O Extension

I obtained a visa by post from the Thai Consulate Hull UK whilst in the UK. When I arrived at Don Muang they where confused as my lat years visa had not expired. A senior immigration official advised me to enter on my old extension of stay which is valid until the 14th March 2003. When I went to the immigration department last week I was lucky enough to be with someone who knew a very high official who could speed things up. He said I did not need the Hull visa at all and they would give another year based on my previous visa and wrote a lovely note for me saying that everything should be done quickly and courteously for me.. HOWEVER the clerks who actually do the work said that I did need the Hull visa and were so pleased to see one that was actually issued in Hull that they photocopied it for reference purposes!!! I asked about the 3 continuous years of visa for residence and they said that this 2nd extension counted as my 2nd year and that next year I must follow the same procedure and at the end of that period I may appy for residence. The clerk also said that for next year I must have 400,000 Baht in the bank.

When I arrived at Don Muang they where confused as my lat years visa had not expired. A senior immigration official advised me to enter on my old extension of stay which is valid until the 14th March 2003.
I dare say you have us confused also. This is year 2004. If your extension of stay was only valid until March of 2003 it would sure seem to have been expired to me (or is this is typo?). Did you travel with a re entry permit? What was the expiration date on it? Why did you obtain a new visa?

It sounds like perhaps you did not obtain a re entry permit and immigration was very understanding and gave you a break but only you can fill in the blanks. :o

Sorry should read 2004. I got a new visa because the Thai Embassy in London told me I needed to. I had been advised here I didn't need one but was guided by the embassy's advice. As I said before the immigration at Don Muang and the high official said I didnt need the new one but the clerks who do the paperwork said I did.

The big question is; did you have a re entry permit? Without a re entry permit the Embassy was correct - your previous vise extension expired at the time you departed Thailand. If this is the case you can thank the Don Muang immigration officer that allowed you to enter on your old visa extension for keeping your three years status alive. If you did have a re entry permit that is what you should have entered Thailand on. But from staff telling you new visa was needed strongly suspect you did not have the re entry permit.

I asked about the 3 continuous years of visa for residence and they said that this 2nd extension counted as my 2nd year and that next year I must follow the same procedure and at the end of that period I may appy for residence. The clerk also said that for next year I must have 400,000 Baht in the bank.

what is exactly in your passport? and what is the expiration date?

your post and dates are confusing, you said some officers said you needed the hull visa, some say you didn't. how much did you have to show in a thai bank last year to receive your first extension from THAI IMMIGRATION?

I am married to a Thai and have the stamp in my passport that allows me to stay in the country until 14th of March 2004. They have now issued a new stamp that my case is under consideration etc. valid until 23rd April 2004 and I have to go back before I return to England for that to be extended for the full year. As I have to return to the UK on a regular basis I have a multiple entry stamp issued at the immigration office that is valid until 14th March 2004, when I get the full year extension I will get another multiple entry stamp that will cover the same period.

I had 200,000 in the bank last year and 300,000 this year and as I said I was told that next year I must have 400,000.

I am sorry if you find my post confusing, I am trying to be clear. :o

They have now issued a new stamp that my case is under consideration etc. valid until 23rd April 2004 and I have to go back before I return to England for that to be extended for the full year
this is your "under review" extension and is normal. as lopburi3 mentioned, immigration gave you a big break giving you your second one year extension after the first extension expired on 14 march 2003.
As I have to return to the UK on a regular basis I have a multiple entry stamp issued at the immigration office that is valid until 14th March 2004, when I get the full year extension I will get another multiple entry stamp that will cover the same period.

don't leave thailand and go to england without another re entry permit no matter what your expiration date was on your previous visas, you are riding on the 23 april extension right now.

I had 200,000 in the bank last year and 300,000 this year and as I said I was told that next year I must have 400,000.

so much for immigration grandfathering the same bank requirements in your case.

300k?, doctor pp where did that figure come from? just proves again everything is up to each immigration officer and can vary day by day.

They have now issued a new stamp that my case is under consideration etc. valid until 23rd April 2004 and I have to go back before I return to England for that to be extended for the full year

this is your "under review" extension and is normal. as lopburi3 mentioned, immigration gave you a big break giving you your second one year extension after the first extension expired on 14 march 2003.

As I have to return to the UK on a regular basis I have a multiple entry stamp issued at the immigration office that is valid until 14th March 2004, when I get the full year extension I will get another multiple entry stamp that will cover the same period.
don't leave thailand and go to england without another re entry permit no matter what your expiration date was on your previous visas, you are riding on the 23 april extension right now.

so much for immigration grandfathering the same bank requirements in your case.

300k?, doctor pp where did that figure come from? just proves again everything is up to each immigration officer and can vary day by day.

The way I read it Huski, he had 200,000 last year, and just happened to have 300,000 in the bank this time, and they made him aware that he would need 400,000 next year. Mind you, I had to make assumptions. It is a bit hard to advise people when the brothers at Immigration can't agree. Ask 3 officers, you get 3 different replies