Huge Poles in Rawai.

Chainsaw

Has anyone got any information about the very tall poles that are being erected in Rawai and Nai Harn? They have some kind of light array at the top.

Are they going to replace the existing street lights? Are they really needed?

• Like 1

Yes I have noticed these around Rawai and Nai Harn too. As LIK alluded to, they have already installed them on Kata and Karon beaches. I am pretty sure they are part of the "tourist safety" concept that keeps popping up in the news.

My only issue with them is from a marine conservation aspect. They are a disaster for sea turtles. Having them so close to the beach further disrupts both the nesting mothers and hatchlings. Especially big metal-halide's like these. I have been meaning to bring this up with the Mai Khao Turtle Foundation and PMBC since my last trip to Florida and seeing what they have done there. Removing the businesses on the beaches, especially the beach chairs, is great news for Phuket sea turtles. These massive lights are huge step in the wrong direction. Endangered or threatened loggerheads, leatherbacks, Olive ridley's, hawksbills, and green sea turtles used to nest regularly on all the beaches before tourism hit, and are still quite common up north in Phangna where their biggest threat is being dug up and sold/eaten by locals, Every now and then we still get them nesting as far south as Karon beach. I was really hoping we might see them again with the beach chairs and other businesses gone.

Turtle_Streetsign.jpg

10245573_10152765280607388_2600146775981

_wp-content_uploads_2010_05_TurtleNestBo

sdzfg.jpg

may12nl_3.jpg

Lights are a threat no doubt, however their biggest threat is all the plastic in the water.

Yes I have noticed these around Rawai and Nai Harn too. As LIK alluded to, they have already installed them on Kata and Karon beaches. I am pretty sure they are part of the "tourist safety" concept that keeps popping up in the news.

My only issue with them is from a marine conservation aspect. They are a disaster for sea turtles. Having them so close to the beach further disrupts both the nesting mothers and hatchlings. Especially big metal-halide's like these. I have been meaning to bring this up with the Mai Khao Turtle Foundation and PMBC since my last trip to Florida and seeing what they have done there. Removing the businesses on the beaches, especially the beach chairs, is great news for Phuket sea turtles. These massive lights are huge step in the wrong direction. Endangered or threatened loggerheads, leatherbacks, Olive ridley's, hawksbills, and green sea turtles used to nest regularly on all the beaches before tourism hit, and are still quite common up north in Phangna where their biggest threat is being dug up and sold/eaten by locals, Every now and then we still get them nesting as far south as Karon beach. I was really hoping we might see them again with the beach chairs and other businesses gone.

Turtle_Streetsign.jpg

10245573_10152765280607388_2600146775981

_wp-content_uploads_2010_05_TurtleNestBo

sdzfg.jpg

may12nl_3.jpg

Lights are a threat no doubt, however their biggest threat is all the plastic in the water.

"Lights are a threat no doubt, however their biggest threat is all the plastic in the water." - and the fact that they are tasty. smile.png

Edited by NamKangMan
  • Like 1

All the more reason to do what we can, s. amongst others reduce the light.

• Like 1

At two dangerous turnoffs in Khao Lak, at one of them they put up traffic lights, at the other one two of those poles, which are probably cheaper than traffic lights. The very best solution isn't even traffic lights, but a roundabout if technically doable.

@ NomadJoe- I don't believe Nai Harn Beach is quite the turtle nesting area, I would think the lights of Patong keep them well north,as you mention Mai Khao,Natai etc.

Sure, necessary Chainsaw,safety issue,people like to walk/jog around the lagoon,no reason they shouldn't be able to do so at night without hitting pitch black spots.

• Like 1

@ NomadJoe- I don't believe Nai Harn Beach is quite the turtle nesting area, I would think the lights of Patong keep them well north,as you mention Mai Khao,Natai etc.

Sure, necessary Chainsaw,safety issue,people like to walk/jog around the lagoon,no reason they shouldn't be able to do so at night without hitting pitch black spots.

Karon and Kata are, or used to be.

I thought it was new tsunami sirens, I didn't see any lights on top.

They are "high mast lights". The lights themselves are on an assembly which is raised and lowered by winch to replace/repair the lights as needed. You don't see anything at the top because that bit hasn't been installed and raised yet.

Worker-raises-the-light-fixtures-after-c

Looking-up.jpg

pic_under.jpg

• Like 1

At least two of these have been erected in Kamala. One in the vacant lot south of the Tsunami Memorial Park and one at the bridge opposite 7/11 on the beach road. The beach road bridge area was always a scary spot. Dark, lots of taxi guys, and soi dogs (same same).

Not anymore, no. but certainly used to:

"K. Kanjana explained that turtles are known to lay eggs at only three beaches in Phuket: Mai Khao Beach, Nai Harn Beach and Karon Beach."

Remove the humans and the lights and it would be again.

http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-news/Leatherback-lays-eggs-Karon-Beach/5415

On the now defunct thai-blogs website I read posts from people living in Patong in the 70's and 80's talk about turtles on the beach and in the bay.

Karon Beach 2006:

post-153200-0-51569000-1405264108_thumb.

North of Phuket 2012:

post-153200-0-42414200-1405264034_thumb.

Locals suspected of turtle poaching: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-news/Under-Investigation-Phuket-villagers-foraging-for-turtle-eggs/20381#ad-image-0

I have seen green and hawksbill turtles diving off Kata and Karon beaches numerous times over the years. Turtle nesting season in Phuket roughly correlates to our high season.

Edited by NomadJoe