Tourist visa holders denied entry to Thailand and left stranded in Malaysia

Do you think the Sugai Golok border point is more strict due to the insurgency down there. Who wants to go to Naratiwat? Its dangerous. Is it the same at Sadao, Padang Besar?

That's what I was thinking. I was surprised to read that 8 foreigners were even trying to gain entry to Thailand into such a risky area - if they were local Malaysians from the nearby area just border hopping for shopping or trade OK but New Zealanders, Russians etc.? 8 foreigners mostly from countries that have specifically warned it's citizens not to travel to the 3 southernmost border provinces, including entering or leaving Thailand there on their way to/from Malaysia. Sungai Kolok itself has been the subject of bombings and not far away in Tak Bai district 78 men (suspected insurgents) were found suffocated in a truck a few years ago. Rubber tappers, teachers, army soldiers, policemen and innocent civilians have all been targeted or at least caught in the crossfire and have died in attacks down there. Martial law has been in place for around a decade now and dozens of checkpoints probably make travel very difficult and annoying. Why would anyone voluntarily subject themselves to that?!

Also, why anyone would risk their lives traveling through such a region where their insurance would be invalidated if they had a problem (if they have any insurance at all) defies logic. Being foreign tourists in Thailand, I doubt they would have cars so they almost certainly arrived by public transport, either bus or train. That's even more risky given how many times the railway line east of Had Yai towards the Malaysian border has been blown up. Only a few weeks ago on that line I think it was that's exactly what happened. I'd be sh** scared going through that region and if I did show up at all, I'd be filling up my car with petrol on the Malaysian side (much cheaper there anyway), I'd come armed with snacks so I wouldn't have to stop for meals along the way and drive through the region not stopping before reaching at least Had Yai. Under no circumstances would I ever consider traveling by public transport in that region.

Anyway, I'm seriously surprised that any non-Malaysian foreigners would be traveling in that region at all.

Sadao and Padang besar have suffered one isolated incident last year but otherwise the western crossings to Malaysia are pretty safe. I would not attempt to cross the border anywhere east of Had Yai just from a simple security standpoint. Maybe these people refused entry should be counting their blessings - next time consider flying back or cross into Thailand from the west coast, where more tourist friendly towns and cities (such as Langkawi and Penang) can keep you occupied for a few days before you return to Thailand (assuming a few days away from Thailand is enough to satisfy immigration officials).

Oh really ?

How is up there on your bar stool ? .. Life goes on in any 'warzone', if i worried about bombs and insurgents i wouldnt go out of the house. There is a public van that leaves HY every hour and there are several visa companies operating out of Samui that take the route. You are statistically more venerable taking a speeding deathtrap bound for Penang over a run down the Golok.

The Kota Bahru consulate has to be the most efficient and easiest consulate in the region and the immigration staff at Golok, are some of the most helpful, efficient and professional i have come across, the border post itself sees so little traffic.

• Like 1

This will be a windfall for many Thai GF/Wives. Many businesses here set up with Farang in the background earning income thinking they are clever doing visa runs in death vans as "Tourists" :)

I have stayed in Thailand for 1 and a half years on tourist visas in the past (an indefinite tourist) without working here. I am now on an education visa as I am studying Thai. My girlfriend is pregnant at the moment and I am worried about when my education visa runs out. I make enough money back home to support us but not to qualify for a non O visa. What can I do? I realize they won't have any sympathy for splitting up a young family and I am worried I am going to have to leave my wife and young child here. Any ideas would be much appreciated.

Why having a child if you can't even afford a visa to stay with your GF and child?

With so little money you obviously have to start working so you get some money. That's what all other people have to do

One moment she is the girlfriend, next she is the wife ???? If married - get a non-O based on marriage - simple.

if not - marry her smile.png

Well she is my แฟน or fan, which doesn't really differentiate between the 2. We are not married yet. That'll be sometime next year........ perhaps sooner so I can get the non O!

Like I said before, it's not about the money, it's having it in a Thai bank account as I don't work here........

Differentiation between married or not is easy -- you don't have a marriage certificate unless you are married and that's what you need for a non-O based on Marriage. Sounds like you are abusing the system anyway if you don't work here but have income from work abroad - presumably online? You've been getting away with it for long enough -- time to sort out your visa situation properly maybe ? ;)

this is totaly stupid, incomprehensible and useless for a country who live from tourism.....if an ambassy give a visa then entry has do be absolutly given to that person unless he is recognised as a criminal surch by interpol....

otherwise dont give any visa.

it is like you want to see a movie...ok 5 dolars...you pay .... then when you want to watch your film and the entrance guy tell you sorry, you dont fit here...!

what the hell...make up your mind first.

I'm so happy I live in Malaysia on a 10 year visa when I see all this Thai visa shit. No hassles and the immigration guys here smiles and usually says welcome back sir at the borders. I go to Bangkok like 10 times a year for business and I always feel happy when I come back home to Kuala Lumpur. People here speak passable English even in the rural areas, in LOS you have a hard time finding a taxi driver with a usable command of English. And the food is more varied here - not that I'm not enjoying thai food, but it gets a bit boring after a while....

But I suppose that Malaysia never will be the next Thailand - being an Islamic country the liquor/beer is much more expensive and there's harder to find "GFs"/hookers here. The two things that it seems that 90% of the tourists are looking for.

You are the first non malaysian that I have ever said the food is good. Better than Thai ? :cheesy:

Hopefully one of the mods will be able to offer some advice on my situation or maybe someone else in the same situation as me, im not looking to debate the rules as i agree with them being implemented, I am just looking for advice.

I work offshore 4weeks on 4weeks off and about 18 months ago i went to immigration to extend for 7 days on my exempt entry stamp. At this time i told the IO what i do and how i come in and out monthly and asked is there a better visa i could be using, his reply was just keep doing what you are doing it is fine.

So now it doesnt look like this is fine. I stay in a rented villa in a resort complex and am not married and not over 50 so i treat each trip back to thailand as basically a holiday, going to the beach, gym, restaurants and bars so i could pass as a "tourist" in my opinion.

I have applied for and been approved for the 5 year elite card however when i spoke to immigration in krabi they didnt even know about an elite visa. There is plenty of people on here saying it is a solution however the visa issued is a "special tourist" visa so there is a possibilty you could be denied entry even after buying it. I know this is highly unlikely but it is possible as other people are being turned away with legitimate visas.

What would you suggest is the best option for someone in my situation. Im just about ready to send off the form to pay for the elite visa but i am wondering if there is any other alternatives. I would not hesitate to take the elite visa if it was paid yearly however i am concerned that if the rules change again or my circumstances change in the 5 years.

It looks like 4 weeks on and 4 weeks off would not expose you to immigration problems if you are one of those people who are elligible for the 30 visa exemption on arrival. This costs you absolutely nothing.

There is no Elite Visa. There is a partnership with the government and Thai Elite that includes a five year visa. It matters not if if your local immigration office has heard of it or not, they will eventually. When you receive your visa from Thai Elite it will have an expiration date of five years from the beginning date stamped in your passport. You are good to go even if the Thai Elite program dies it will have no effect on your visa. Other Elite services would be gone but not the five year visa.

• Like 1

Hopefully one of the mods will be able to offer some advice on my situation or maybe someone else in the same situation as me, im not looking to debate the rules as i agree with them being implemented, I am just looking for advice.

I work offshore 4weeks on 4weeks off and about 18 months ago i went to immigration to extend for 7 days on my exempt entry stamp. At this time i told the IO what i do and how i come in and out monthly and asked is there a better visa i could be using, his reply was just keep doing what you are doing it is fine.

So now it doesnt look like this is fine. I stay in a rented villa in a resort complex and am not married and not over 50 so i treat each trip back to thailand as basically a holiday, going to the beach, gym, restaurants and bars so i could pass as a "tourist" in my opinion.

I have applied for and been approved for the 5 year elite card however when i spoke to immigration in krabi they didnt even know about an elite visa. There is plenty of people on here saying it is a solution however the visa issued is a "special tourist" visa so there is a possibilty you could be denied entry even after buying it. I know this is highly unlikely but it is possible as other people are being turned away with legitimate visas.

What would you suggest is the best option for someone in my situation. Im just about ready to send off the form to pay for the elite visa but i am wondering if there is any other alternatives. I would not hesitate to take the elite visa if it was paid yearly however i am concerned that if the rules change again or my circumstances change in the 5 years.

The Elite Card is not known everywhere. I was recently at Sakon Nakhon Immigration and asked them what the think about the Thailand Elite Card and the chap I talked to said he didn't seen yet the Elite visa in any passport. When asked his superior, he was told the visa is valid for 5 years and we have to treat them a bit like VIP and give them the best service.

If you have the card, things will be very smooth for you. Remember if you stay 4 months and fly out and back to Thailand you get another one year on the spot, at least that what I have been told.

It looks like 4 weeks on and 4 weeks off would not expose you to immigration problems if you are one of those people who are elligible for the 30 visa exemption on arrival. This costs you absolutely nothing.

There is no Elite Visa. There is a partnership with the government and Thai Elite that includes a five year visa. It matters not if if your local immigration office has heard of it or not, they will eventually. When you receive your visa from Thai Elite it will have an expiration date of five years from the beginning date stamped in your passport. You are good to go even if the Thai Elite program dies it will have no effect on your visa. Other Elite services would be gone but not the five year visa.

Grant,

I would like to think i am not going to have problems with immigration but i suspect i will as my passport is full of visa exempt stamps. They are a month apart but there is alot of them with very few stamps in between as i dont get stamped into Malaysia.

The elite card does not give you a 5 year visa, it only gives you a 1 year visa which is renewable 5 times, hence the reason i would prefer to pay only yearly.

Any other options anyone knows of. Im not trying to find loopholes, i would like a genuine solution to stay correctly.

I'm so happy I live in Malaysia on a 10 year visa when I see all this Thai visa shit. No hassles and the immigration guys here smiles and usually says welcome back sir at the borders. I go to Bangkok like 10 times a year for business and I always feel happy when I come back home to Kuala Lumpur. People here speak passable English even in the rural areas, in LOS you have a hard time finding a taxi driver with a usable command of English. And the food is more varied here - not that I'm not enjoying thai food, but it gets a bit boring after a while....

But I suppose that Malaysia never will be the next Thailand - being an Islamic country the liquor/beer is much more expensive and there's harder to find "GFs"/hookers here. The two things that it seems that 90% of the tourists are looking for.

You are the first non malaysian that I have ever said the food is good. Better than Thai ? cheesy.gif

He... That's a good question. 20 years ago when I started going on holidays to south-east Asia I definitely would have said that Thai food is #1. But today I'm not so sure. Some of the Malaysian flavours definitely is an acquired taste, like the strange flavours of icecream, and belachan (the fermented shrimp paste). I seem to adapt and enjoy to if faster than my wife. With the mix of Indonesian, Indian and Chinese foods here there's so much more to choose from. I drink Cham and have pork/rice porridge for breakfast or a nasi lemak without batting an eye, something that my expat friends here never would do.

My stance on being an expat is like "Adapt yourself to where you live or gtf out of there."

• Like 1

Prostitution is regulated in Thailand, not illegal. Also the current changes in visa policy pre-date the junta.

I know its a joke ---But prostitution is illegal, & has been illegal in Thailand since 1960.

The "Entertainment Places Act of 1966", still in effect today,

I don't however want to get off topic....just clarifying that.

It's not as simple as that - many later Acts have regulated it. However, I agree this is not the thread to discuss the complexities of the legislation.

You must have read a different article to me . . . they are not refusing entry to "tourists", they are refusing entry to people who consistently abuse the Tourist Visa, i.e. "visa runners", and with all the recent reporting on this subject, why are you surprised or shocked about this?

As per the article:

"All of the foreigners who were denied entry had a previous history of multiple visa exempt entries or back to back tourist visas."

Thailand is currently undergoing some fairly major changes, reducing corruption and following the law a lot more closely. I have no idea how long this will last for, but the message is clear . . . we're trying to do things better, and you (foreigners) need to follow the law as it is written now.

Although the visa situation here isn't easy, simple or convenient, most of us manage to stay here for years at a time by doing things "properly" . . . I suggest some of these others start to do the same, and perhaps, just perhaps, when they see that we can do things correctly, they might just make it easier for us doing it properly to stay here even longer/easier at some future point in time.

They were NOT abusing the system.

That is the system that has always been in place in Thailand for years, signed, sealed and delivered by none other than the immigration Bureau of Thailand.

You went to an embassy, they gave you a visa, sometimes they deny you a double entry and stick you with a single entry, but THEY issued the visas.

You wanted an extension, you went to immigration and THEY extended it for you... simple as that.

As a matter of fact, up until these new xenophobic changes, this is the very website where people came for advice on how to stay in Thailand long term on tourist visas and were helped by scores of members of all the tricks of the trade. Nobody used to chime in saying 'shame on you' or 'you are not a tourist, stop abusing the system'...

Yet most of you lot probably found your way onto this website in the first instance by looking for the very same info for your own needs.

I reckon there is a lot of hypocrisy in this thread coming from people who themselves have done their own fair share of visa runs, as a matter of fact I don't think I know many farang here who haven't and I have met many many farang in my time.

It is Thailand that has brought this culture of visa runs, and as far as I am concerned, no visa running farang has ever abused a system put in place by immigration themselves.

If i correctly recall, just about the first postings of this was when a young Russian lady living in Phuket was loudly complaining that she was refused entry because she had gone to a wedding in KL. She was on a tourist visa and as she claimed was entitled to re enter after only a couple of days. However it was subsequently discovered that she had been living here for several years and was working as a Dive Company manager on a "60 day tourist visa"

Because of liars like her the Immigration dept has had to 'crack down' on the abuse of these visas. Yes maybe not all are abusers, but it had become an easy way to stay. If you want to stay, then get the proper visa and stop trying to bend the rules. I have a Non Imm 'O' so only have to do 90 day runs, giving me 15 months. If you get caught doing the wrong thing as she did, my advice is "Cop it sweet and stop the wingeing" coffee1.gif

Yes - she lied about working and she was wrong and she was caught.. but why were the immigration authorities giving anyone more than one 30 day extensions over these years? Why have so many back to back Tourist Visas been issued by the Immigration Authorities or Embassies and Consulates? No one held a gun to their collective heads and made them issue the Tourist Visas and stamp them in and out.

For those who were not lying and working in Thailand who also used successive Tourist Visas and Border Run extensions... numbering in the tens of thousands over the years - they broke no law... they did what was allowed by the authorities - no tricks - no deception. So they didn't get a 'real' long stay visa...so what? They were not required to do so. Successive Tourist Visas and Border runs were allowed by Thai Immigration and Border authorities ... It is the same as some in America who annually complain - 'they took too many tax deductions and I was not able to"... Note: the tax deductions taken were legal - allowed.

When you apply for a visa such as the Tourist Visa, you are making a statement when you sign and accept that visa that you are a "tourist" and are visiting Thailand for the purposes of tourism . . . NOT to support a Thai gf, NOT to support illegal or online working, NOT to allow you to avoid paying taxes, NOT to allow you to live here indefintely just cos you think you are entitled to do so, etc etc.

If you've ever received a visa, that's what you've agreed to. If you (as in the case of the visa runners caught up in the original OP) are here for anything other than "tourism" you are here illegaly (under false pretenses) and breaking the law.

What happened or was allowed in the past is completely irrelevant now. If they were lax in their enforcement of laws in the past, they are not lax any more and everyone has been warned about what would happen, so keep with the times, work out what legitimate visa is best for you, and then stay here legally.

Were the ones caught up in the Op doing something other than tourism

Sent from my LG-P970 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

this is totaly stupid, incomprehensible and useless for a country who live from tourism.....if an ambassy give a visa then entry has do be absolutly given to that person unless he is recognised as a criminal surch by interpol....

otherwise dont give any visa.

it is like you want to see a movie...ok 5 dolars...you pay .... then when you want to watch your film and the entrance guy tell you sorry, you dont fit here...!

what the hell...make up your mind first.

Sorry, can't agree with you.

The vast majority of tourist who arrive for a holiday of 3 to 4 weeks and have flights, hotels etc booked up will have no problems getting in. 3 or 4 times a year if they feel like it because it's clear to the IO that they are tourists, not long term stayers who are living here on visa exempt entries.

There is a world of difference.

Re your 'absolutely must be given', I posted a long time ago about a mate who went to UK with his Thai girlfriend for a holiday and when he approached the IO and stated 'what's the problem, why so long , she has a visa'

He was told by the IO that it does not mean they must let you in automatically, they can interview and decide yes or no.

Why should Thailand be different.?

Edited by overherebc

I have stayed in Thailand for 1 and a half years on tourist visas in the past (an indefinite tourist) without working here. I am now on an education visa as I am studying Thai. My girlfriend is pregnant at the moment and I am worried about when my education visa runs out. I make enough money back home to support us but not to qualify for a non O visa. What can I do? I realize they won't have any sympathy for splitting up a young family and I am worried I am going to have to leave my wife and young child here. Any ideas would be much appreciated.

Why having a child if you can't even afford a visa to stay with your GF and child?

With so little money you obviously have to start working so you get some money. That's what all other people have to do

One moment she is the girlfriend, next she is the wife ???? If married - get a non-O based on marriage - simple.

if not - marry her smile.png

Like I said before, it's not about the money, it's having it in a Thai bank account as I don't work here........

Differentiation between married or not is easy -- you don't have a marriage certificate unless you are married and that's what you need for a non-O based on Marriage. Sounds like you are abusing the system anyway if you don't work here but have income from work abroad - presumably online? You've been getting away with it for long enough -- time to sort out your visa situation properly maybe ? wink.png

Abusing the system??? Earning money from something overseas and spending it in another country is abusing the system? Isn't that tourism!?!

To answer your assumption, no, I don't work online. I own a house in the UK which I rent out. Getting away with what? Am I breaking any laws? Last time I checked it was perfectly legal to rent out property you own or to choose to live in another country.

A fellow poster, who isn't being a smart arse ;-) has given me all the information I need. I'll be fine :-D

• Like 2

You must have read a different article to me . . . they are not refusing entry to "tourists", they are refusing entry to people who consistently abuse the Tourist Visa, i.e. "visa runners", and with all the recent reporting on this subject, why are you surprised or shocked about this?

As per the article:

"All of the foreigners who were denied entry had a previous history of multiple visa exempt entries or back to back tourist visas."

Thailand is currently undergoing some fairly major changes, reducing corruption and following the law a lot more closely. I have no idea how long this will last for, but the message is clear . . . we're trying to do things better, and you (foreigners) need to follow the law as it is written now.

Although the visa situation here isn't easy, simple or convenient, most of us manage to stay here for years at a time by doing things "properly" . . . I suggest some of these others start to do the same, and perhaps, just perhaps, when they see that we can do things correctly, they might just make it easier for us doing it properly to stay here even longer/easier at some future point in time.

They were NOT abusing the system.

That is the system that has always been in place in Thailand for years, signed, sealed and delivered by none other than the immigration Bureau of Thailand.

You went to an embassy, they gave you a visa, sometimes they deny you a double entry and stick you with a single entry, but THEY issued the visas.

You wanted an extension, you went to immigration and THEY extended it for you... simple as that.

As a matter of fact, up until these new xenophobic changes, this is the very website where people came for advice on how to stay in Thailand long term on tourist visas and were helped by scores of members of all the tricks of the trade. Nobody used to chime in saying 'shame on you' or 'you are not a tourist, stop abusing the system'...

Yet most of you lot probably found your way onto this website in the first instance by looking for the very same info for your own needs.

I reckon there is a lot of hypocrisy in this thread coming from people who themselves have done their own fair share of visa runs, as a matter of fact I don't think I know many farang here who haven't and I have met many many farang in my time.

It is Thailand that has brought this culture of visa runs, and as far as I am concerned, no visa running farang has ever abused a system put in place by immigration themselves.

If i correctly recall, just about the first postings of this was when a young Russian lady living in Phuket was loudly complaining that she was refused entry because she had gone to a wedding in KL. She was on a tourist visa and as she claimed was entitled to re enter after only a couple of days. However it was subsequently discovered that she had been living here for several years and was working as a Dive Company manager on a "60 day tourist visa"

Because of liars like her the Immigration dept has had to 'crack down' on the abuse of these visas. Yes maybe not all are abusers, but it had become an easy way to stay. If you want to stay, then get the proper visa and stop trying to bend the rules. I have a Non Imm 'O' so only have to do 90 day runs, giving me 15 months. If you get caught doing the wrong thing as she did, my advice is "Cop it sweet and stop the wingeing" coffee1.gif

Yes - she lied about working and she was wrong and she was caught.. but why were the immigration authorities giving anyone more than one 30 day extensions over these years? Why have so many back to back Tourist Visas been issued by the Immigration Authorities or Embassies and Consulates? No one held a gun to their collective heads and made them issue the Tourist Visas and stamp them in and out.

For those who were not lying and working in Thailand who also used successive Tourist Visas and Border Run extensions... numbering in the tens of thousands over the years - they broke no law... they did what was allowed by the authorities - no tricks - no deception. So they didn't get a 'real' long stay visa...so what? They were not required to do so. Successive Tourist Visas and Border runs were allowed by Thai Immigration and Border authorities ... It is the same as some in America who annually complain - 'they took too many tax deductions and I was not able to"... Note: the tax deductions taken were legal - allowed.

When you apply for a visa such as the Tourist Visa, you are making a statement when you sign and accept that visa that you are a "tourist" and are visiting Thailand for the purposes of tourism . . . NOT to support a Thai gf, NOT to support illegal or online working, NOT to allow you to avoid paying taxes, NOT to allow you to live here indefintely just cos you think you are entitled to do so, etc etc.

If you've ever received a visa, that's what you've agreed to. If you (as in the case of the visa runners caught up in the original OP) are here for anything other than "tourism" you are here illegaly (under false pretenses) and breaking the law.

What happened or was allowed in the past is completely irrelevant now. If they were lax in their enforcement of laws in the past, they are not lax any more and everyone has been warned about what would happen, so keep with the times, work out what legitimate visa is best for you, and then stay here legally.

Were the ones caught up in the Op doing something other than tourism

Sent from my LG-P970 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Were the ones caught up in the Op doing something other than tourism? Well, let's see what the OP said:

"Narathiwat is a popular destination for visa runners and border runners to exit and re-enter the country in order to extend their stay in Thailand.

All of the foreigners who were denied entry had a previous history of multiple visa exempt entries or back to back tourist visas."

So reading through that, they were all people that had multiple back to back tourist visa's or multiple visa exempt entries . . . leading Immigration to come to the conclusion that they are NOT legitimate tourists here for the purposes of tourism. Simple.

The officers are doing their job by following the rules. In any new set of procedures there will be those that do not comprehend exactly to the letter what is required and the innocent individuals will get their balls chopped off. There has to be a statement from the Embassies and Consulates what the exact rules are. It is beyond belief that in an age looking for transparency the final say is an officer who can determine yes or no to entry. When you allow individuals to act on a whim of their choosing then you give an opportunity for corruption to creep in. Be consistent and let everyone know what is the law in Thailand. I took a days leave to go to Immigaration and then was refused an extension of stay based on teaching though i had a valid work permit and was on a Non O (multiple). You have been teaching for 7 years but you are not in our system. Obviously not for i am on a Non O and do not have to report to immigration i leave the Kingdom every 90 days. No you must got and get the houseowner where you stay to sign this form they must pay x baht i want also to see that you have paid your tax. I said i had to pay the tax and show it to the Labour office before i got my current work permit which expires 31st March 2015. No i want you to show me the receipt. Well went the following friday after taking another days leave and another officer no i don't need this. I looked at the previous officer and she showed no sign of recognition and ended up making the tea for her boss.<deleted>. So i went away with the understanding- why empower staff that do not comprehend the rules.

Am I wrong in saying that this was announced by the government some time ago and now people are surprised that the law is being enforced? It is one thing to disagree with the law, but don't be surprised when a country enforces it.

• Like 2

Hmm. How can they deny entry with a valid visa? That’s impressive...coffee1.gif

<snip>

IMHO, even if you have a Visa, it doesn't mean that you automatically will be allowed to Enter.

Even having a visa does not guarantee entry to the host country. The border crossing authorities make the final determination to allow entry, and may even cancel a visa at the border if the alien cannot demonstrate to their satisfaction that they will abide by the status their visa grants them.

Link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visa_(document)#Entry_and_duration_period

For the past years I've been living in Thailand during European winter months (November-March). My work is online and has nothing to do with Thailand, can do it anywhere but I like living in Thailand. I travel around quite often within Thailand and rent a house for 5 or 6 months. I used to apply for a triple entry tourist visa as I can't get a non-o because I'm 34. Does anybody know what I should do for next winter?

Edited by hilfiger

Whereas I understand that this thread is based on one border crossing in the South, it appears to either be the writing on the wall, or a misinterpretation of the directive from Bkk.

What I don't understand is why there hasn't been an official statement from immigration. We hear it on TV, but not everyone reads TV.

And a further counter-statement from TAT. If tourist visas are such a problem, where would a genuine "tourist" stand with a double or triple entry tourist visa now? What would happen to said genuine tourist if they visited Myanmar, Laos and Cambodia during their stay in Thailand, re-entering after each trip?

The official stance was on visa exemption stamps, this obviously doesn't appear to be the case as it certainly doesn't end there.

For the past years I've been living in Thailand during European winter months (November-March). My work is online and has nothing to do with Thailand, I can do it anywhere but I like living in Thailand. I travel around quite often when I'm here and rent a house for 5 or 6 months. I used to apply for a triple entry tourist visa as I can't get a non-o because I'm 34. Does anybody know what I should do for next winter?

Pay up 500k for elite visa, you are elite online worker smile.png

Edited by BillR

Whereas I understand that this thread is based on one border crossing in the South, it appears to either be the writing on the wall, or a misinterpretation of the directive from Bkk.

What I don't understand is why there hasn't been an official statement from immigration. We hear it on TV, but not everyone reads TV.

And a further counter-statement from TAT. If tourist visas are such a problem, where would a genuine "tourist" stand with a double or triple entry tourist visa now? What would happen to said genuine tourist if they visited Myanmar, Laos and Cambodia during their stay in Thailand, re-entering after each trip?

The official stance was on visa exemption stamps, this obviously doesn't appear to be the case as it certainly doesn't end there.

UJ, explained it perfectly in this post (I think)

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/742573-tourist-visa-holders-denied-entry-to-thailand-and-left-stranded-in-malaysia/#entry8096072

I think some official was jut pointing fingers at Bangkok. I think it is a case of an over zealous regional commander causing these problems in the South.

Edited by MJCM

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

'Saw this coming. More ahead no doubt. Preachy non-O holders, pack up your smugness in your old kit bag, 'cause you're next on the agenda. And it's not even 12 AUG yet. I actually doubt this is going to help Elite sales much. Turn-aways like this create confusion and uncertainty, which is the opposite of what someone buying an expensive visa (or any expensive investment, or expensive anything) for the long-term tend to look for and expect. The very few who allow themselves to be herded toward the Elite program will be outweighed baht-wise by the many wondering what the heck is going on, and just deciding they can live without the hassle & go elsewhere. Whoever's behind all this either has no concern for the long-term damage he's doing, or no understanding of it. It's like a store-owner telling customers they have to leave if they haven't bought anything within the first 15 minutes. He might have his reasons (e.g., fear of shoplifters), but he'll end up driving away all his business, even those who might otherwise be first-timers, who'll walk the other way just based on the bad hearsay without knowing or caring about the details.

And next after Non 'O' holders (who will be mostly forced to do Extensions of Stay for Retirement - if the qualify) - sometime down the road those on Extensions of Stay for Retirement (EoSR) with get the shaft in the arse. First just do away with the Embassy certificate in lieu of 800,000 in the bank (for those who are allowed to use the cert.)..... Then later push everyone on Extension of Stay for Retirement into the first level of the Elite Visa - 500,000 baht for five years by basically doing away with the EoSR all together. After all - all the EoSR folks have 800,000 in the bank don't they - the government wants that money - not just left lying around in a bank... Thailand has bills to pay ... Rice Scheme and all ...

In the end no one is going to be immune to this huge enforcement change which will lead to a whole mind set change by the Thai leadership.

But eventually the Thai Leadership will run into big problems when the Low Season in all the resort areas is the permanent season.

And you know all of this is true and correct exactly how?

Or are you looking for your 5 seconds of fame?

Do actually KNOW this or are you just making it up?

If it is true of course, you will have all the links and information and will be willing to post it so go ahead and prove it.

If not please stop posting rubbish and rumours.

He is either the smartest person in the room or the dumbest. No facts, just angry HE got caught up it this never ending morass of laws, loopholes and visa myths.

• Like 1

Were the ones caught up in the Op doing something other than tourism? Well, let's see what the OP said:

"Narathiwat is a popular destination for visa runners and border runners to exit and re-enter the country in order to extend their stay in Thailand.

All of the foreigners who were denied entry had a previous history of multiple visa exempt entries or back to back tourist visas."

So reading through that, they were all people that had multiple back to back tourist visa's or multiple visa exempt entries . . .

leading Immigration to come to the conclusion that they are NOT legitimate tourists here for the purposes of tourism. Simple.

Sorry but it's your interpretation of the text, not what the text said.

OP could have said "All those who where denied entry had sunglasses",

that would not mean that if someone arrives without sunglasses (or without a visa "history")

he will not be denied too...

This ambiguity in the ThaiVisa OP - and in the title - is the reason why this topic already runs on more than 10 pages...

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

The officers are doing their job by following the rules. In any new set of procedures there will be those that do not comprehend exactly to the letter what is required and the innocent individuals will get their balls chopped off. There has to be a statement from the Embassies and Consulates what the exact rules are. It is beyond belief that in an age looking for transparency the final say is an officer who can determine yes or no to entry. When you allow individuals to act on a whim of their choosing then you give an opportunity for corruption to creep in. Be consistent and let everyone know what is the law in Thailand. I took a days leave to go to Immigaration and then was refused an extension of stay based on teaching though i had a valid work permit and was on a Non O (multiple). You have been teaching for 7 years but you are not in our system. Obviously not for i am on a Non O and do not have to report to immigration i leave the Kingdom every 90 days. No you must got and get the houseowner where you stay to sign this form they must pay x baht i want also to see that you have paid your tax. I said i had to pay the tax and show it to the Labour office before i got my current work permit which expires 31st March 2015. No i want you to show me the receipt. Well went the following friday after taking another days leave and another officer no i don't need this. I looked at the previous officer and she showed no sign of recognition and ended up making the tea for her boss.<deleted>. So i went away with the understanding- why empower staff that do not comprehend the rules.

Why were they classed as legal entries before?

Why did immigration have no problems stamping them in?

Who's in the wrong, immigration or the "tourist?

It is easy to blame one side to be wrong, but in this case it really does take two to tango..........................wink.png

i stop being suprised here years ago....whistling.gif ..buy a legal visa from a THAI consul (WHO HAVE THE POWER TO REFUSE) and then be refused entry at teh border...idiotic to say the least

It's again worth remembering that possession of a visa doesn't guarantee the holder admission to a country, it's the Immigration Officer at the Border that has the final say, this applies to most countries in the World, including the likes of the UK, the Schengen Area and the United States of America.

I just wish the USA enforced their immigration laws like the Thais do.