Online freelancer, long stay in Thailand

• Replies 433
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If it would be possible. Probably.

For example. You can stay and live in germany with self-employment as a foreigner. I just dont know yet if this is for foreigner of all nations or only for EU members countries..

I refer to this document: http://www.ihk-berlin.de/linkableblob/bihk24/recht_und_steuern/gewerberecht/Download/2043484/.9./data/Residence_and_employment_of_foreign_nationals_and_companies_in-data.pdf

3.2 Requirements for self-employment in Germany

Foreign nationals, who have their place of residence in Germany or intend to transfer their resi-

dence here and (intend to) pursue a self-employed activity, usually require a corresponding resi-

dence title, which either expressly allows this activity (residence permit) or encompasses its pursu-

ance of its own accord (settlement permit).

I know there are a lot more paragraphs but at least there is a official visa law for this. 

Edited by SoFarAndNear

your physical whereabouts don't matter

Yes they do, you need a work permit.

Show proof of more than one case of an on-line freelance worker being arrested in Thailand please and I'm not talking about 8 sweaty blokes in a boiler room thieving money from grandmothers. Show me a case of one bloke designing websites in his condo in Thailand that has been arrested and prosecuted. You won't find anything because it never happens.

Stop your scare mongering rubbish. 

And why do you think all these people are refused entry because they are no real tourists ?

No -- he is saying that as of today nobody WORKING freelance online out of their residence has been arrested and prosecuted for not having a work permit.

And why do you think all these people are refused entry because they are no real tourists ?

If they are here in Thailand now, they haven't been refused entry.

Edited by JLCrab

Here is a question: If I wanted to go to, say Australia or the EU as an ASEAN citizen, and just settle down and work as a freelancer, would that be OK without requirement for certain documentation and work permits? If I arrived at the US as a tourist and want to just stay for a few years and do my online work, would that be supported by the government?

Yes it would. If the online worker get his money from abroad and would spend his full income in the US he would do that country a favour. Because his full income is coming abroad so his full income is flowing into the countries economy.

Example.

A foreign worker working in thailand for a thai company (most probably a teacher). He earns 50k THB . The money he earns is already in Thailand. So this is just domestic turnover in this country.

A foreigner online freelancer who gets 50k THB per month brings his full money to thailand. So this is a 50k THB absolutly plus +++++ for thai economy because it is foreign investment brought into the country. 

So who is better for thai economy?

You didn't read my question. Let me rephrase:

If I go to the US - or to your country of origin - as a tourist, can I do online business there and stay forever?

If it would be possible. Probably.

For example. You can stay and live in germany with self-employment as a foreigner. I just dont know yet if this is for foreigner of all nations or only for EU members countries..

I refer to this document: http://www.ihk-berlin.de/linkableblob/bihk24/recht_und_steuern/gewerberecht/Download/2043484/.9./data/Residence_and_employment_of_foreign_nationals_and_companies_in-data.pdf

3.2 Requirements for self-employment in Germany

Foreign nationals, who have their place of residence in Germany or intend to transfer their resi-

dence here and (intend to) pursue a self-employed activity, usually require a corresponding resi-

dence title, which either expressly allows this activity (residence permit) or encompasses its pursu-

ance of its own accord (settlement permit).

I know there are a lot more paragraphs but at least there is a official visa law for this. 

Correct. If you have a a residence or settlement permit, you can pursue self-employed activities. Where does it say you can work on a tourist visa?

Note: In the link you sent, Chapter 2 is about EU citizens, but the quote is from Chapter 3, which is about citizens form Third Countries. 

Here is a question: If I wanted to go to, say Australia or the EU as an ASEAN citizen, and just settle down and work as a freelancer, would that be OK without requirement for certain documentation and work permits? If I arrived at the US as a tourist and want to just stay for a few years and do my online work, would that be supported by the government?

Yes it would. If the online worker get his money from abroad and would spend his full income in the US he would do that country a favour. Because his full income is coming abroad so his full income is flowing into the countries economy.

Example.

A foreign worker working in thailand for a thai company (most probably a teacher). He earns 50k THB . The money he earns is already in Thailand. So this is just domestic turnover in this country.

A foreigner online freelancer who gets 50k THB per month brings his full money to thailand. So this is a 50k THB absolutly plus +++++ for thai economy because it is foreign investment brought into the country. 

If I go to the US - or to your country of origin - as a tourist, can I do online business there and stay forever?

No you can't to do that in any country one has to establish some form of legal residency first, a tourist is not a legal resident
  • Like 1

Example.

No you can't to do that in any country one has to establish some form of legal residency first, a tourist is not a legal resident
The ONLY option for those that WANT to work freelance in Thailand is to do it illegally then, right? Can't wait for another thread to open on this topic and go around in circles again.

OB

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

[quote name="Oceanbat" post="8126013" timestamp="1405827266"]

[quote name="Soutpeel" post="8125993" timestamp="1405826825"][quote name="onthemoon" post="8125950" timestamp="1405826180"][quote name="SoFarAndNear" post="8122670" timestamp="1405751792"]
 [quote name="onthemoon" post="8120553" timestamp="1405703243"]

[/quote] 

Example.

So who is better for thai economy?[/quote] 

If I go to the US - or to your country of origin - as a tourist, can I do online business there and stay forever?[/quote]No you can't to do that in any country one has to establish some form of legal residency first, a tourist is not a legal resident[/quote]The ONLY option for those that WANT to work freelance in Thailand is to do it illegally then, right? Can't wait for another thread to open on this topic and go around in circles again.

OB

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand[/quote]

I think we need to differentiate between a "freelancer" and someone running an "on line business" as a 1 man band,

I do know people working as "freelancers" who work short term contracts for different companies in Thailand, they get taken on for a predefined job or time by the company WP is arranged by the company and taxed, but they are not "staffers" some even have their own Thai limited companies with 4 employee's to "offset" the tax burden

These guys for all intents and purposes are "freelancers" in Thailand as well

As SP has said, there is a difference between a freelancer and someone working online. There are freelancers in a lot of professions, they move around, but for all intensive purposes when they are "working" they are legal, either through their own entity, or by being employed on a legitimate contract with a Thai company paying tax, and with a WP.
  • Like 1

[quote name="Soutpeel" post="8126063" timestamp="1405828089"][quote name="Oceanbat" post="8126013" timestamp="1405827266"][quote name="Soutpeel" post="8125993" timestamp="1405826825"][quote name="onthemoon" post="8125950" timestamp="1405826180"][quote name="SoFarAndNear" post="8122670" timestamp="1405751792"] [quote name="onthemoon" post="8120553" timestamp="1405703243"]Here is a question: If I wanted to go to, say Australia or the EU as an ASEAN citizen, and just settle down and work as a freelancer, would that be OK without requirement for certain documentation and work permits? If I arrived at the US as a tourist and want to just stay for a few years and do my online work, would that be supported by the government?

[/quote] 

Example.

So who is better for thai economy?[/quote] 

If I go to the US - or to your country of origin - as a tourist, can I do online business there and stay forever?[/quote]No you can't to do that in any country one has to establish some form of legal residency first, a tourist is not a legal resident[/quote]The ONLY option for those that WANT to work freelance in Thailand is to do it illegally then, right? Can't wait for another thread to open on this topic and go around in circles again.

OB

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand[/quote]

I think we need to differentiate between a "freelancer" and someone running an "on line business" as a 1 man band,

I do know people working as "freelancers" who work short term contracts for different companies in Thailand, they get taken on for a predefined job or time by the company WP is arranged by the company and taxed, but they are not "staffers" some even have their own Thai limited companies with 4 employee's to "offset" the tax burden

These guys for all intents and purposes are "freelancers" in Thailand as well[/quote]
My apologies for confusing the matter. I was referring to online workers and being facetious.

OB

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

@The OP

Come to Cambodia. Online freelancing is a legal option here. No requirement for a work permit. No requirement for language lessons. No ridiculously over-priced tourist visa either. $285/year all in. If you want a year's language lessons - that would cost about $100 on top.

I could afford the Elite card but there's no way on earth that I would afford it. 500K (that's $16k USD) Baht plus other fees for a 5 year tourist visa? Lol. If Thailand ever decides to enter the modern age and make it easy to incorporate a sole-trader that pays taxes but neither hires Thais nor hires an office; I'd consider moving to Thailand until then... not on your nelly.

The long-term impact of this visa crackdown is going to damage Thailand's ability to trade internationally give them a few years and economic pressures will make them relent (or at least come up with a sensible set of requirements for a long-term visa). Until then, come to the Kingdom of Wonder and enjoy a cheaper lifestyle without a single visit to register in a police station in your whole time here.

Thailand has lots of visas, exemptions and rules that other countries do not have. It is an apples and oranges comparison. Thailand is not the US, and enacts immigration rules and laws specific to its own circumstances.

The relevant questions, and they are open ones, are

1. which of these online freelancers is beneficial to Thailand's economy
2. how to accomodate them
3. what the drawbacks are
4. whether the net benefit is great enough to accomodate them
5. what charge or tax to levy

Tough questions to answer indeed and no perfect solution. However, I think the 100K/year elite card rough filter makes a reasonable fist of all 5.

@The OP

Come to Cambodia. Online freelancing is a legal option here. No requirement for a work permit. No requirement for language lessons. No ridiculously over-priced tourist visa either. $285/year all in. If you want a year's language lessons - that would cost about $100 on top.

I could afford the Elite card but there's no way on earth that I would afford it. 500K (that's $16k USD) Baht plus other fees for a 5 year tourist visa? Lol. If Thailand ever decides to enter the modern age and make it easy to incorporate a sole-trader that pays taxes but neither hires Thais nor hires an office; I'd consider moving to Thailand until then... not on your nelly.

The long-term impact of this visa crackdown is going to damage Thailand's ability to trade internationally give them a few years and economic pressures will make them relent (or at least come up with a sensible set of requirements for a long-term visa). Until then, come to the Kingdom of Wonder and enjoy a cheaper lifestyle without a single visit to register in a police station in your whole time here.

Legally, residents are liable for income tax on worldwide earnings in Cambodia, iirc. Not such a better setup if you look at it that way, since Thailand levies tax on offshore income only when it is remitted to Thailand in the same year it is earned.

Edited by rwdrwdrwd

@The OP

A few twenty-something online traders, working out of apartments, no longer being able to do so will not impact Thailand's economy in the least or its' ability to trade.

The biggest problem with the visa enforcement is legitimate tourists hearing rumours and being scared off.

This is not the place for young entrepreneurs, designers, entertainers, artists, writers, IT people or online contractors.  

Rules and regulations for immigration, running a company and trying to be legal are more hassle than they are worth. You'll unwittingly be lumped in with career criminals, terrorists and undesirables.  

The pool of international talent is thus diminishing as investment of time, energy, ideas and money reaches a legal drag co-effeicent.

• Like 1

Thailand has lots of visas, exemptions and rules that other countries do not have. It is an apples and oranges comparison. Thailand is not the US, and enacts immigration rules and laws specific to its own circumstances.

Tough questions to answer indeed and no perfect solution. However, I think the 100K/year elite card rough filter makes a reasonable fist of all 5.

If one doesn't know what to do...just follow the intelligent people.

Despite overcrowding, high costs of living, pollution and general stress. Hong Kong has become a magnet for young entrepreneurs. Immigration is simple and straightforward. Being legal is generally easy. Now get to work. 

@The OP

Legally, residents are liable for income tax on worldwide earnings in Cambodia, iirc. Not such a better setup if you look at it that way, since Thailand levies tax on offshore income only when it is remitted to Thailand in the same year it is earned.

I would be if I had any earnings. The joys of being a company director is we don't get paid a salary - we collect drawings instead. No income = no tax. My company meets all my expenses (legally) for everything I do (rent, bills, etc.) and I draw zero dollars in earnings. (Hint: Open a Limited Company in a tax haven).

@The OP

So how much income tax are you contributing to the Cambodian economy then

If one doesn't know what to do...just follow the intelligent people.

Despite overcrowding, high costs of living, pollution and general stress. Hong Kong has become a magnet for young entrepreneurs. Immigration is simple and straightforward. Being legal is generally easy. Now get to work. 
I believe you still need to prove you will make a significant contribution to the Hk economy. Just buying things that you are consuming yourself probably isn't significant.

OB

@The OP

None. It's completely legal. My company does no business in Cambodia. It leaves me to decide where I will work. My company is a Hong Kong registered entity, trading completely overseas, no Hong Kong business allowed. I don't get paid a salary thus I have no income to tax. I pay an annual accounting fee in Hong Kong and can expense everything I can get a receipt for; including my rent, bills, etc. you don't pay taxes on expenses (apart from possibly VAT). If I can't get a receipt - I don't buy it.

@The OP

None. It's completely legal. My company does no business in Cambodia. It leaves me to decide where I will work. My company is a Hong Kong registered entity, trading completely overseas, no Hong Kong business allowed. I don't get paid a salary thus I have no income to tax. I pay an annual accounting fee in Hong Kong and can expense everything I can get a receipt for; including my rent, bills, etc. you don't pay taxes on expenses (apart from possibly VAT). If I can't get a receipt - I don't buy it.

So why would Thailand want you?

OB

• Like 1

@The OP

So why would Thailand want you?

OB

Umm... because as my first post says; if I could incorporate in Thailand, I'd pay tax? Are you being deliberately obtuse?

[quote name="TheSiemReaper" post="8127056" timestamp="1405844229"][quote name="Oceanbat" post="8127048" timestamp="1405844149"] [quote name="TheSiemReaper" post="8127033" timestamp="1405843920"] [quote name="Soutpeel" post="8127007" timestamp="1405843509"] [quote name="TheSiemReaper" post="8126870" timestamp="1405841240"]@The OP

The long-term impact of this visa crackdown is going to damage Thailand's ability to trade internationally give them a few years and economic pressures will make them relent (or at least come up with a sensible set of requirements for a long-term visa). Until then, come to the Kingdom of Wonder and enjoy a cheaper lifestyle without a single visit to register in a police station in your whole time here.[/quote]So how much income tax are you contributing to the Cambodian economy then
 [/quote] 
 [/quote]So why would Thailand want you?

OB

[/quote]
Umm... because as my first post says; if I could incorporate in Thailand, I'd pay tax? Are you being deliberately obtuse?[/quote]
Yep. Sounds like an awesome deal for Thailand.

OB

[quote name="Oceanbat" post="8127048" timestamp="1405844149"] [quote name="TheSiemReaper" post="8127033" timestamp="1405843920"] [quote name="Soutpeel" post="8127007" timestamp="1405843509"] [quote name="TheSiemReaper" post="8126870" timestamp="1405841240"]@The OP

The long-term impact of this visa crackdown is going to damage Thailand's ability to trade internationally give them a few years and economic pressures will make them relent (or at least come up with a sensible set of requirements for a long-term visa). Until then, come to the Kingdom of Wonder and enjoy a cheaper lifestyle without a single visit to register in a police station in your whole time here.[/quote]So how much income tax are you contributing to the Cambodian economy then
 [/quote] 

OB

[/quote]
Umm... because as my first post says; if I could incorporate in Thailand, I'd pay tax? Are you being deliberately obtuse?

OB

Given that the tax on my company earnings would be equivalent to 8 x Thailand's GDP per capita - it's an awesome deal for Thailand. I wonder how much tax you're contributing Mr. High and Mighty? I suspect the answer is "nowhere near that much" but I'm full of myself anyway.

[quote name="TheSiemReaper" post="8127075" timestamp="1405844496"][quote name="Oceanbat" post="8127065" timestamp="1405844365"][quote name="TheSiemReaper" post="8127056" timestamp="1405844229"][quote name="Oceanbat" post="8127048" timestamp="1405844149"] [quote name="TheSiemReaper" post="8127033" timestamp="1405843920"] [quote name="Soutpeel" post="8127007" timestamp="1405843509"] [quote name="TheSiemReaper" post="8126870" timestamp="1405841240"]@The OP

[/quote] 

OB

[/quote]
Umm... because as my first post says; if I could incorporate in Thailand, I'd pay tax? Are you being deliberately obtuse?[/quote]

OB

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand[/quote]
Given that the tax on my company earnings would be equivalent to 8 x Thailand's GDP per capita - it's an awesome deal for Thailand. I wonder how much tax you're contributing Mr. High and Mighty? I suspect the answer is "nowhere near that much" but I'm full of myself anyway.[/quote]
But no inclination to employ Thais or increase skills etc? 8 is my lucky number by the way. I'm happy for you your business is a great success.

OB

The answer to your tough questions is actually very simple, if Thailand had a need for farang on liners they would create a class of visa/wp for them, they havent done so, and there appears there is no plan to do this, therefore it suggests Thailand doesn't need them, in a similar manner Thailand needs Cambodian and Burmese worker's, so what have they done ? Made it quite easy for them to stay and work in Thailand and get a WP

[quote name="Oceanbat" post="8127065" timestamp="1405844365"][quote name="TheSiemReaper" post="8127056" timestamp="1405844229"][quote name="Oceanbat" post="8127048" timestamp="1405844149"] [quote name="TheSiemReaper" post="8127033" timestamp="1405843920"] [quote name="Soutpeel" post="8127007" timestamp="1405843509"] [quote name="TheSiemReaper" post="8126870" timestamp="1405841240"]@The OP

[/quote] 

OB

[/quote]

OB

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand[/quote]
Given that the tax on my company earnings would be equivalent to 8 x Thailand's GDP per capita - it's an awesome deal for Thailand. I wonder how much tax you're contributing Mr. High and Mighty? I suspect the answer is "nowhere near that much" but I'm full of myself anyway.

But no inclination to employ Thais or increase skills etc? 8 is my lucky number by the way. I'm happy for you your business is a great success.

OB

No inclination to employ anyone at all. Why would I? I'm a sole-trader. I don't need staff. I don't need an office. And I expect 100% ownership of my business - not 49% of it. Hiring people would just drag my earnings down and then how would I pay my staff? Thailand can build hospitals with my taxes instead or schools... or they can't and they can't have those taxes. Simple equation.

• Like 2