Online freelancer, long stay in Thailand

The Thai Elite card doesn't permit one to work, right? It's a solution to stay long term with no questions asked, but not a solution to work online legally. 

You are allowed to play golf.

Perhaps a scan of the actual conditions of the Elite card would show that they actually assist you to get a work permit, if you need one.

It was discussed in the Elite card thread. It's possible to have two valid visas in the passport at the same time and one card owner mentioned he had a non-imm B while working. TE may help with the paperwork, but you still need to get and enter with a non-imm B. Good news is, if your WP gets canceled, in that case you just exit and enter again with the PE visa.

• Replies 433
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Thai Elite card doesn't permit one to work, right? It's a solution to stay long term with no questions asked, but not a solution to work online legally. 

Perhaps a scan of the actual conditions of the Elite card would show that they actually assist you to get a work permit, if you need one.

A work permit for an online freelancer, the subject of this thread?

• Like 1

That's a problem with your country. With my country, if I live more than 180 days per year outside of it, I am a "tax foreigner" and don't pay taxes there.

However, if you live and work in Thailand, it really does not matter what your native country's law says (unless there is a double-taxation treaty): You work here so you pay taxes here. That's not difficult to understand, is it?

Makes sense I suppose. Haven't been here that long and have been going back regularly so it hasn't been an issue thus far.

It doesn't matter how long you have been here; if you work here, you need to pay your taxes. 

Ok, there is the exception of people who come here for a vacation and answer their business emails while on the beach. The Thai government won't expect you to apply for a work permit for that.

But talking about short-time work: An international musical performer or band giving a concert in Thailand does need a work permit, even if they work only for one evening. So does the in-company auditor flying in to check your Thai branch'es accounts for a week. But this is not what we are talking about.

We are talking about people living in Thailand and doing online-work. Do they need a work permit? - The answer is yes.

Would the Thai government know about it? - I doubt it.

But they are cracking down on people living in Thailand for a long time and declaring that they are tourists. Do they have a right to do that? - I say, yes.

• Like 2

It was discussed in the Elite card thread. It's possible to have two valid visas in the passport at the same time and one card owner mentioned he had a non-imm B while working. TE may help with the paperwork, but you still need to get and enter with a non-imm B. Good news is, if your WP gets canceled, in that case you just exit and enter again with the PE visa.

I doubt that you can have two valid visas at the same time. Please provide a link.

It doesn't matter how long you have been here; if you work here, you need to pay your taxes. 

It was stated a few posts above that income from abroad needs to be taxed if you stay in Thailand 180 days or more per year.

I get your drift though.

I've commented this on the other thread regarding this card but I'm going to do so again. 

3 years ago I sold my 50% share in a business I had run for 8 years. Also around the same time before I moved out to Thailand I accepted an offer to develop an online application in exchange for 50% equity in the company. This solution is now working, profitable and requires no input at all from myself. This has put me in a position where for the time being I can have a reasonable lifestyle without working. 

I'm about to apply for a tourist visa - the Elite card sounds perfect but for me it's too much of a risk. If it was guaranteed that you got a 5 year visa with no chance of the rules being changed and the visa being revoked in the future then it would be a no brainer, however being able to afford £10k and gambling £10k on something that's already had a shaky history (if accounts on the forum are to be believed) are completely different things. 

Regarding risk with Elite card, when it was introduced for 1 million baht, I shared same concern and didn't get one.  My friend got one and he's been using it ever since.  That was what, like through 3 or 4 different "governments"???

I don't think I've ever read online where anyone with the card complaint about the it ... just sayin'.

I doubt that you can have two valid visas at the same time. Please provide a link.

Here you go: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/726441-thailand-elite-easy-access-500k-thb-card/?p=8013779

I read: "It was previously in this thread, no work permit possible. Info was from Thailand Elite itself."

The link I would like to see is from Thailand Elite, saying that you can easily get a work permit when you have their visa. 

It was stated a few posts above that income from abroad needs to be taxed if you stay in Thailand 180 days or more per year.

I get your drift though.

That's incorrect. You need a work permit if you work here. I think that is clear now.

You need to pay taxes on your foreign income if you bring it into Thailand within one year. That's a totally different issue though.

Here you go: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/726441-thailand-elite-easy-access-500k-thb-card/?p=8013779

I read: "It was previously in this thread, no work permit possible. Info was from Thailand Elite itself."

The link I would like to see is from Thailand Elite, saying that you can easily get a work permit when you have their visa. 

Yeah that was my post. No such link, on the contrary: you need another non-immigrant visa if you want a WP. TE doesn't directly say this (would be bad marketing, wouldn't it ? TE is a company aiming for profit.), so I had to go digging in that thread. Apparently they will help with some paperwork or some such, but the PE visa that you get as a member of the Thailand Elite can't be used as a basis for applying for a work permit.

EDIT: It was quite a pain to find it there, but finally found the answer TE gave to Stanley78:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/726441-thailand-elite-easy-access-500k-thb-card/?p=7846916

The Elite visa can not apply work permit due to it’s tourist visa but we can expedite you to do work permit.  

If you require to do work permit. Firstly you have to got the Non B visa. Normally it gonna be take 30 days but if you are member we can do it for you within 1 day (in case your document is ready). Then apply for work permit, normally take 15 days but we do for you only 1 days (in case your document is ready). But both case you must show up at immigration office. Before you apply non B visa and work permit. You can contact us to ask about the information such document, qualification and so on.

Actually, visa is considered by immigration office not by Transport Department but member can get 1 year diver’s license for each time.

Apparently TE offers a fast lane for getting the WP processed. Worth something to those who need it, yes.

Edited by DrTuner

I'm in the same boat, I work online and have been staying here on tourist Visas for the last 18 months. I'm planning on leaving next month when my current lease runs out. I have friends in similar situations, some of whom are going down the Ed visa route, but I'm not wasting my time doing that just to get a Visa. There's no way i'm paying for an "elite card" what a joke, i'm not staying here for 5 years! If you're in your 20's then how can you know where you'll be in 5 years! Maybe one year would of been nice. I have enjoyed my time living here, love the food, the girls( non working girls), and basically enjoyed the bang for your buck. I also got to live in a fancy condo that would of cost 5 times the price in the city I last lived in ( Sydney). 

As for obtaining a work permit if you "work online", what an impossibility. I trade on a foreign stock market, and pay taxes in my home country. I don't even have a Thai bank account, the fee structure I currently have doesn't make it worthwhile.

• Like 2

There is a group of expat authors living in Thailand, I wonder what they do to stay legal?

I know one of them, well know for his humoristic cartoons, and he has a work permit. smile.png

Your friend must be quite the cartoonist if he is able to employ two/four Thai nationals in his "humoristic cartoons" company rolleyes.gif

If he isn't employing them then he doesn't have a work permit, or isn't self-employed.

There is no structure that allows a self-employed foreigner to have a work permit, even if he is more than willing to pay taxes.

• Like 1

What does working online even mean? What kind of work is it? Like programming for computer games etc making codes? Or web design?

Most freelancers I've met in Thailand have been IT professionals.

Some of the freelancers I've met in Thailand have been very professional, some just very enthusiastic amateurs, some were just starfish whistling.gif . Still, it passes the time and everyone needs a hobby.

There is a group of expat authors living in Thailand, I wonder what they do to stay legal?

I know one of them, well know for his humoristic cartoons, and he has a work permit. smile.png

Your friend must be quite the cartoonist if he is able to employ two/four Thai nationals in his "humoristic cartoons" company rolleyes.gif

If he isn't employing them then he doesn't have a work permit, or isn't self-employed.

There is no structure that allows a self-employed foreigner to have a work permit, even if he is more than willing to pay taxes.

Have you read the huge topic about the tourist visa holders rejected in south thailand border? Pratically half of the posters got a huge boner reading that news, some of them have even considered denouncing to the authorities anyone who would not follow the rules like themselves, the perfect citizens.

Suffice to say, it's probable that that author's automatic answer to those kind of questions is yes, he has the proper visa and work permit even if he doesn't. 

Although, I've read on another topic, can't remember where, that there exists some kind of shell companies that you pay to employ yourself with all proper documentation. Probably completely illegal as well, but at least you can brag that you have a WP and claim that those pesky divemasters and english teachers should be booted out of Thailand.

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I'm eagerly awaiting the day when Immigration change the rules ... Awaiting from where?

Right here in Bangkok

So you are wishing bad tidings on some the people who are maybe overly-glad to see bad tidings on the way things are going for some today but you are impervious.

Edited by JLCrab

So you are wishing bad tidings on some the people who are maybe glad to see bad tidings on the way things are going today but you are impervious.

I've been told that there are some sentences in Thai that are impossible to translate or explain in a foreign language. Your above seem to be the same, but in "English".

• Like 2

So you are wishing bad tidings on some the people who are maybe glad to see bad tidings on the way things are going today but you are impervious.

I've been told that there are some sentences in Thai that are impossible to translate or explain in a foreign language. Your above seem to be the same, but in "English".

Thank you.

your physical whereabouts don't matter

Yes they do, you need a work permit.

Yes I suppose so.

If a person has a way of working, on-line freelancing, whatever that may be, he would have to be domicile somewhere.

That 'somewhere' may be entitled to income tax from those earnings.

It is hard enough keeping the sticky fingers of the country that issued your passport from dipping in.

I don't see why Thailand is obliged to permit everyone to settle, just those of its choosing.

Even an off-shore worker, on a 28/28 stint should be required to pay income tax if he resides here between work spells, without double taxation  of course.

]

If so, the kind of people we're discussing here are more likely than not to simply move on. I guess LoS will eventually figure out whether that's a win or a loss for them.

You mean the same way LOS figured out who has right of way on a roundabout?

Political situation ? Thailand is politically more stable today than it has been in years, 500k, 5 years stay hassle free for less than the Thai minimum wage of THB 300/day

If you read the posts from the on liners they are always spouting off they are doing well, flush with cash, so 500k "invested" shouldn't be problem

They may be doing well and be able to easily afford 500k; I'm not. Maybe in a few years. It's a good thing that the Elite card exists but I'm more likely to head to Cambodia or the Philippines while I work on improving my finances. I don't know how common my situation is, but I have met dozens of young online freelancers like myself in Thailand so it can't be very uncommon. Maybe 500k isn't an issue for many of them, IDK.

Wherever you go, your first criteria should be internet connectivity, stability and reliable electricity supply, no internet, no work. Can Cambodia/Laos/Veitnam/Burma provide this? It's bad enough in Thailand, I had a generator, ups box and two ISP's when I was 'working from home'. The Philippines? Don't know, but probably more stable than many SE asian countries. Hong Kong? Taiwan, S. Korea?. You could start a small company in Thailand, then you have the stupid 4 Thai employees rule, you could find a Thai registered company that you could pay to employ you, whilst undertaking your own work and perhaps doing something for them. The 500k option sounds best/ 100k per year/ 274 baht a day. Borrow the money from family/friends. If you are any good at what you do, then you should have no problem earning the funds, if you are not confident that you can do this, stay in your comfort zone at home.

• Like 1

This is what interest me to.
Lets say you "work", example:
Building websites, Selling online 3D models made in 3D studio, Youtube partner (get paid by Google), Play games and get paid by doing so, Manager of some company who are not required to stay in the office, Sell on eBay (you sell at your home but decided to come to Thailand for 1-2 or more months) ...... and so on and so on.
So by this logic, as soon as you enter Thailand you are in violation of the law, or... ?

Can someone explain this to me and anyone who wish to know? smile.png

Edit:  I found out that you are not allowed to even wash your car or some other stupid "work" so by that logic , are you allowed even to carry bags from 7/11? You have to pay someone to carry for you?

Watchout Dino,even typing a post may be considered working,according to your source.Have to go,Immi are knocking on the door.
  • Like 1

A work permit for an online freelancer, the subject of this thread?

Perhaps a call to the Elite card offices would clarify that much better than the mis-informed opinions here ;)

I think there might be some confusion.  I was not referring to retirement visa requirements, but specifically about the "young and rich" category of under-50's who want to work online, but who have trouble with raising 500k for the Elite card -- assuming the Elite card actually satisfies their requirements in other ways -- which I have not investigated.

I'm sorry dude, but what in god's name makes you think that anyone working online is young and rich? I know of several people who work online which are neither necessarily young nor rich. Like in any business, most of these people simply make a living. It is few who make it to the riches. I really cannot understand your point.

I think there might be some confusion.  I was not referring to retirement visa requirements, but specifically about the "young and rich" category of under-50's who want to work online, but who have trouble with raising 500k for the Elite card -- assuming the Elite card actually satisfies their requirements in other ways -- which I have not investigated.

I'm sorry dude, but what in god's name makes you think that anyone working online is young and rich? I know of several people who work online which are neither necessarily young nor rich. Like in any business, most of these people simply make a living. It is few who make it to the riches. I really cannot understand your point.

---------------------------------------------------------------

This thread is based on a theoretical situation, following which there were various mentions of wealth.  Anyones situation is their own affair, but they should get the correct visa for their intended purpose of being here.

Perhaps a call to the Elite card offices would clarify that much better than the mis-informed opinions here wink.png

Rhetorical question, if you didn't realise. I'm well aware that the Elite card can't get me a work permit for working online. As other posters wrote, it doesn't get me a work permit either, just hastens the paperwork.

Perhaps a call to the Elite card offices would clarify that much better than the mis-informed opinions here wink.png

Rhetorical question, if you didn't realise. I'm well aware that the Elite card can't get me a work permit for working online. As other posters wrote, it doesn't get me a work permit either, just hastens the paperwork.

Glad you have the information straight from the Elite card offices rather than the mis-informed posters here.  Did they make any suggestion how you could resolve your situation?

What's so difficult to get a valid permit to stay & live in Thailand??? ermm.gif 

There's quite a few situations where you remain a tax resident in your country of origin and cannot easily change that, no matter where you physically spend your time. Since all of the work is provided online, your physical whereabouts are of no importance to your clients - but your tax residency may be of great interest to your country of origin. I don't know about anyone else, but I'm still paying taxes back home.

It would make sense to move your tax residency to Thailand if it was your intention to settle here. That may not be the case for many who nevertheless spend extended periods of time in Thailand.

That's a problem with your country. With my country, if I live more than 180 days per year outside of it, I am a "tax foreigner" and don't pay taxes there.

However, if you live and work in Thailand, it really does not matter what your native country's law says (unless there is a double-taxation treaty): You work here so you pay taxes here. That's not difficult to understand, is it?

"it really does not matter what your native country's law says".      Are you referring to the IRS?   If so I'd say it does matter.