Online freelancer, long stay in Thailand

Those individual IT consultants who work remotely (as in they can work from anywhere) for large corporations on 3-6 month contracts at between 150-200,000 baht a month you mean.    

Yes, these rich young entrepreneurs can work from anywhere.....except Thailand!

Not true!

They just can't work in Thailand long-term, but I bet most of them don't want to settle down long-term anyway.

Nothing wrong with doing 6 month stints in Bangkok, Bali, Saigon, Penang, etc.

Or they can get an education visa and work quietly from their bedroom provided they can get one, which most of the people who have been abusing the system over the last few years won't be able to do.

The problem with moving is you need to ship all your possessions (or dump them all and buy all new which is what I did last time)

You need to find somewhere to live and get internet connected....  so you have potentially significant downtime.

Being able to be mobile doesn't mean you don't want to find somewhere you like and settle there for a while.  

• Replies 433
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

International Internet access is largely good enough for any online work. smile.png
Even Poker player can use it wink.png

Not true.
Some work requires more interactive activity than other (video conferencing, real-time software testing, etc.)

What is not true? I don't understand.
Video conferencing certainly doesn't need several Mbits of upload by example.

Try day trading from Siem Reap if you doubt me.

Siem Reap is not in Thailand AFAIK wink.png

Those individual IT consultants who work remotely (as in they can work from anywhere) for large corporations on 3-6 month contracts at between 150-200,000 baht a month you mean.    

Not true!

They just can't work in Thailand long-term, but I bet most of them don't want to settle down long-term anyway.

Or they can get an education visa and work quietly from their bedroom provided they can get one, which most of the people who have been abusing the system over the last few years won't be able to do.

The problem with moving is you need to ship all your possessions (or dump them all and buy all new which is what I did last time)

You need to find somewhere to live and get internet connected....  so you have potentially significant downtime.

Being able to be mobile doesn't mean you don't want to find somewhere you like and settle there for a while.  

Yeah if you want to go down that route you don't have Thailand any more, but still Malaysia, Bali, Cambodia, and probably Vietnam at the moment.

Then South America, Central America, and if you're European anywhere in Europe.

To K. Surapundit -- Your notion that should you hire, say, 4 Thai media/journalism graduates for a newly formed company that they would be of no value to the prospering of that entity and would be paid to just "sit around an office and do nothing" shows a lack of imagination that I hope is not also lacking in your 50 published books.
  • Like 1

Not true!

Not legally!!! Maybe Thailand will address the online single person operation Work Permit thing, but right now there is none.

Not true!

Not legally!!! Maybe Thailand will address the online single person operation Work Permit thing, but right now there is none.

Yeah they can't do it legally.

I'm not actually sure what is considered legal really. If you're on holiday and you reply to a few business emails are you breaking the law?

But it's up to Thailand and they can enforce the rules as they please.

To K. Surapundit -- Your notion that should you hire, say, 4 Thai media/journalism graduates for a newly formed company that they would be of no value to the prospering of that entity and would be paid to just "sit around an office and do nothing" shows a lack of imagination that I hope is not also lacking in your 50 published books.

I take your point, but I can't imagine how a staff of four (or even one) Thais, media graduates or not, could possibly provide enough added value to me to justify their employment. I write the novels and create my own cover art. I pay a native English speaker to proofread (naturally), I manage my own promotion, and have no need for any additional help outside the group of fellow authors around the world who work with me for mutual gain. My last novel sold enough copies to secure a place on the New York Times and USA Today bestseller lists (but wasn't eligible as Amazon locked me into an exclusive deal, and novels must be sold at more than one venue to qualify). I do fine, to the point at which I don't even need to work any more.

My point is that setting up a company and hiring a staff is a needless and wasteful expense, and the requirement to do so would satisfy the letter of the law but not the spirit. 

I take your point, but I can't imagine how a staff of four (or even one) Thais, media graduates or not, could possibly provide enough added value to me to justify their employment. I write the novels and create my own cover art. I pay a native English speaker to proofread (naturally), I manage my own promotion, and have no need for any additional help outside the group of fellow authors around the world who work with me for mutual gain. My last novel sold enough copies to secure a place on the New York Times and USA Today bestseller lists (but wasn't eligible as Amazon locked me into an exclusive deal, and novels must be sold at more than one venue to qualify). I do fine, to the point at which I don't even need to work any more.

My point is that setting up a company and hiring a staff is a needless and wasteful expense, and the requirement to do so would satisfy the letter of the law but not the spirit. 

Yes I agree with you and incidentally your first post in this thread was excellent.

The rules are out of date and far too broad.    What would the rules say about someone who came to Thailand to find business opportunities then spent a year here researching products to export, building themselves a website and getting their business ready.   But making zero income, not being paid, simply living off savings and family money.     

Then when everything is ready their plan was to form a company and keep things legal. 

Have they wasted the past year and the effort they put into this business venture?     Was them tooling around online and walking around shopping areas looking at possible saleable merchandise considered "working".

Were they really expected to rent an office, hire staff, pay for a company setup 12 months before they planned to be ready to launch the site?

There are so many holes in the current system.

And how about the freelancer working for clients in say the UK, but choosing to base themselves here.    They might have only offered their services to UK companies to keep within the spirit of the Thai Law that they don't take jobs from Thais.

So now they are forced out and go to Cambodia or Vietnam where they are allowed to stay and work.     If I was in their position I'd wait till I was there then start a huge marketing drive to get as much business from companies in Thailand and say screw you, I'm going to make sure I take jobs that might have gone to Thai companies.    (Note"  I wouldn't really because I'm not petty but I think you get the point.)

(BTW I hate nested quotes) K. Sortapoundit. -- You would not set up a company in Thailand to do what you are already doing -- the 4 Thai employees with sufficient encouragement and a bit of training based upon your literary skills could look for work in publishing, copy writing, or any other service here in Thailand and maybe in neighboring countries. Maybe you could take on others who are looking to boost their self-publishing efforts.

But if you just want to keep your status quo and refer to  how James Michener did it that's something else. 

The most likely scenario for getting in trouble for working online would be if you physically  met one of the mean spirited, nasty old sods from this forum who might grass you up to the authorities. With a few exceptions what is written on this forum is laughable and the suggestion that you need to hire 4 Thai staff to hang around your hotel picking their noses while you write your latest book is one of the more ludicrous that I have heard.

Not true!

Yeah they can't do it legally.

I'm not actually sure what is considered legal really. If you're on holiday and you reply to a few business emails are you breaking the law?

But it's up to Thailand and they can enforce the rules as they please.

The "on holiday replying to email" is often cited as an extreme example.
Let's be realistic. If you lease an apartment and have a motorcycle, big screen tv, etc....you are living here and working illegally. Edited by duanebigsby
  • Like 1

The most likely scenario for getting in trouble for working online would be if you physically  met one of the mean spirited, nasty old sods from this forum who might grass you up to the authorities. With a few exceptions what is written on this forum is laughable and the suggestion that you need to hire 4 Thai staff to hang around your hotel picking their noses while you write your latest book is one of the more ludicrous that I have heard.

The most likely scenario now is getting grassed at the border with back to back entries.
That is why the "ludicrous" suggestions about a company employing Thais is being made. You can't be here without the proper visa anymore.

Yes I agree with you and incidentally your first post in this thread was excellent.

Thank you very much :) Looks like I should have asked my proofreader to go over that post, though, as I just noticed my unforgivable their/there typo. My kingdom for an edit button.

It's called setting up a business which would qualify the gent for a long stay based upon his writing/journalism skills and the 4 Thai people would not necessarily have anything to do with his existing business.

Let's be realistic. If you lease an apartment and have a motorcycle, big screen tv, etc....you are living here and working illegally.

And if you're an in and out worker who spends all of their time off the rig living in Thailand they're not a tourist. They're living here, but you don't see me kicking up a fuss about them because I don't really care, it doesn't affect me, and I'm not so petty.

• Like 1

Let's be realistic. If you lease an apartment and have a motorcycle, big screen tv, etc....you are living here and working illegally.

And if you're an in and out worker who spends all of their time off the rig living in Thailand they're not a tourist. They're living here, but you don't see me kicking up a fuss about them because I don't really care, it doesn't affect me, and I'm not so petty.

You don't see me kicking up a fuss either. I also don't care and I'm not petty.
I believe there should be a work permit for online workers, but there isn't. The rig workers should be able to have access to a visa class that addresses them, but there isn't.
  • Like 1

It's called setting up a business which would qualify the gent for a long stay based upon his writing/journalism skills and the 4 Thai people would not necessarily have anything to do with his existing business.

Quoting from his post:

I'm an author living maybe 6-8 months a year in Thailand - so he will be paying these four 'Nominees' a years salary for doing sweet FA?

I wrote the book variously in Thailand, Vietnam, India, Laos and Mongolia, and when I clicked 'publish' on Amazon KDP I was in Ulaanbaatar. Since its publication I've written newsletters for my 2,000 strong fan club while travelling in Thailand, Mongolia, the UK, France, Spain, Italy, Germany and the Czech Republic

So as he was also breaking the law in Vietnam, India, Laos and Mongolia he should have set up companies in each one of these countries?

• Like 1

If he wants to stay in Thailand long-term, he can set up a company -- there are companies in Bangkok and regionally looking for editorial / publishing assistants that may be interested in contract work instead of hiring if contract work is properly supervised by a published author. If you want to come up with all sorts of reasons why this can't be done, that is fine.

BTW this was in my mailbox today based on this and other subscriptions I have to the world wide publishing industry:

http://publishingperspectives.com

Edited by JLCrab

You are right -- there is no visa for the under age 50 lone proprietor and I would not expect there to be one soon. Thailand as I noted in several posts above has a priority to encourage companies that will invest in online services including online publishing services and hire Thai university graduates. If they provide incentive for the sole practitioner that is a dis-incentive to those who would make such investments and hirings.

I provided an ad hoc suggestion as to how one in K. Sortapundit's circumstances might comply with those priorities but he I guess is not interested and a few others came on to hoot.

Doesn't bother me but I deal with the world wide publishing industry on a daily basis but from the legal angle working through an NGO I founded in the US.

BTW although I am now on retirement extension my first 4 years in Thailand were based on multi-entry non-imm 'B' visas as I am a skilled -practitioner in library sciences certified by the US Library of Congress.

Edited by JLCrab
  • Like 1

You are right -- there is no visa for the under age 50 lone proprietor and I would not expect there to be one soon. Thailand as I noted in several posts above has a priority to encourage companies that will invest in online services including online publishing services and hire Thai university graduates. If they provide incentive for the sole practitioner that is a dis-incentive to those who would make such investments and hirings.

I provided an ad hoc suggestion as to how one in K. Sortapundit's circumstances might comply with those priorities but he I guess is not interested and a few others came on to hoot.

Doesn't bother me but I deal with the world wide publishing industry on a daily basis but from the legal angle.

It's not so much that I'm not interested. Your suggestion was both good and valid, and would allow me to stay legally (though my partner would be a different story, and would require me to hire 8 Thais and put her on my payroll). My problem is simply that I'm pretty much retired, and I don't actually live full time in Thailand (depending on your definition of 'full time'). Setting up a company and hiring employees might be a solid option for a working author who lives here year round, but for me it would be an unreasonable investment simply to abide by the clunky laws of one of the countries in which I spend time, and, as anonymouse said, I'd still be in breach of the law if I wrote anything while on holiday in a neighbouring country. 

There's nothing that can be done about it, really. It just helps to grumble a little about the problem. 

• Like 1

Well OK -- I've posted more than I intended on these topics but when people say "Don't they realize ..." or "I'm not taking anything away from Thais or Thailand ..." or in your case  that you would have to hire 4 Thais to sit around and do nothing, I tend to respond hopefully in as brief a manner as possible.

BTW isn't that Amazon v. Hachette dust-up entertaining?

Edited by JLCrab

The most likely scenario now is getting grassed at the border with back to back entries.
That is why the "ludicrous" suggestions about a company employing Thais is being made. You can't be here without the proper visa anymore.

This, incidentally, is the reason it's so frustrating to see the finger wagging schadenfreude of those expats whose situation happens, by chance, to fit within a rigid visa framework laid out before the Internet existed. It's not that these people have a greater common sense claim to visit or live in Thailand, or that they hold the moral high ground for satisfying visa conditions, but simply that they happen to be part of a group of people whose circumstances were considered by some guy who wrote a law decades ago. It's more than a little annoying.

Luckily I am in a situation where I have a valid long term visa but it is the nastiness and vindictiveness these threads bring out in many Thai visa members that also get me. So apologies to Duane who maybe is trying to offer a valid solution...and I'm out of here, spending too long on Thai Visa is like shopping with my Wife it should never be longer than 45 mins.

I took no offense whatsoever, so no apologies necessary. There are visa categories lacking for people
who would otherwise be fine additions to Thailand. Many times on TV we're on the same page but it sounds more like an argument.
Cheers Guys
  • Like 2

There is a group of expat authors living in Thailand, I wonder what they do to stay legal?

I know one of them, well know for his humoristic cartoons, and he has a work permit. smile.png

Your friend must be quite the cartoonist if he is able to employ two/four Thai nationals in his "humoristic cartoons" company rolleyes.gif

If he isn't employing them then he doesn't have a work permit, or isn't self-employed.

There is no structure that allows a self-employed foreigner to have a work permit, even if he is more than willing to pay taxes.

Freelance media visa.. 

There is one solution for freelance programmers or contract IT folks who want to work here LEGALLY.

You can get hired by an IT company in Thailand that specializes in outsourced work.

The company invoices your client instead of you directly.

The company pays you a salary based on how much you bring in minus some percentage.

They pay taxes out of the portion that was taken out, and you get Thai health insurance.

You get a non-B visa and work permit.

*Extra bonus--> As the visa is tied to a BOI promoted company, you also get to use the fast lane at the airport.

Here is one company that is doing this: http://iglu.in.th/work/

As it is a BOI company, they can get around the 4:1 Thai/foreigner staff ratio, so they're actively looking for more people.

You have to meet the legal requirements to get a visa, which would be a degree in your field or min 5 years experience.

Plus you need to be able to bring in a minimum of $2000 per month from your clients.

For many people that should be no problem.

The company I linked to is in Chiang Mai. But there may be some other companies in Bangkok or other places with a similar setup that I don't know about.

First, I would insist on an escrow account if using something like this. You don't want your money gone to someone else's account.

Second: prone to crackdown. Isn't exactly what BOI had in mind, is my guess.

Third: a work permit must list the address of the workplace. Which for one man bands would be their living room, not the office of the umbrella company. Might not fly.

Edited by DrTuner

What really irks me is the backbiting churlish responses from so many of the posters on thaivisa, if the ball was in the other court how many people who post that 500k bhat is nothing would really be willing to part with that much money themselves! It strikes me as shear jealousy and petty mindedness that there are people who were able to live here under retirement age, is working from your home country online really that detrimental to Thailand? Does this clamp down personally benefit those on different visa?

As for working online when I applied for my ED visa I was asked what I did for income I explained and showed them statements and they didn't seem to have a problem with it.

What really irks me is the backbiting churlish responses from so many of the posters on thaivisa, if the ball was in the other court how many people who post that 500k bhat is nothing would really be willing to part with that much money themselves! It strikes me as shear jealousy and petty mindedness that there are people who were able to live here under retirement age, is working from your home country online really that detrimental to Thailand? Does this clamp down personally benefit those on different visa?

As for working online when I applied for my ED visa I was asked what I did for income I explained and showed them statements and they didn't seem to have a problem with it.

In a lot of the cases I would agree with you.. But in the case of people who simply refuse to become legal and pay their taxes, and invent reasons why they should be exempted from doing so, no I dont think thats petty or churlish.. 

Thailand has said what it wants.. If people want to work here theres a process to do it.. It has costs.. Dont want to face those costs then either leave Thailand or stop working. 

• Like 2

I believe there should be a work permit for online workers,

And creat a whole new cycle of visa abuse ?, the thing they are trying to crack down on right now you mean ?

If you get away from all the hysteria from the on liners...its just not fair, etc think about this in the cold light of day as to the loop hole something like this would create ?

To date nobody on this thread or the many others  that have been done over the years  has even come up up with a realisitc or practical solution of how something like this could be set up and and controlled in Thailand from both an immigration and a business perspective, it seems to me the on liners want something for nothing

All you ever get in these posts is its just not fair, its xenophobia, the laws are not keeping up with the times etc followed up by stamping of the feet and spitting the dummy...all complaining and whinging but never any solutions.

• Like 2

In a lot of the cases I would agree with you.. But in the case of people who simply refuse to become legal and pay their taxes, and invent reasons why they should be exempted from doing so, no I dont think thats petty or churlish.. 

Thailand has said what it wants.. If people want to work here theres a process to do it.. It has costs.. Dont want to face those costs then either leave Thailand or stop working. 

I'd be more than happy to pay tax here on my income here if that was possible, opening a business isn't viable a visa I'd have to employ 4 Thai people to essentially sit there and do nothing all day.