Illegal occupation of public parking next target of Phuket tourist centre cleanup

webfact

llegal occupation of public parking next target of Phuket tourist centre cleanup
Eakkapop Thongtub

1405316532_1-org.jpg
Mayor Chalermluck (striped shirt) talks with local people.

PHUKET: -- Patong Mayor Chalermlak Kebsab went to Patong Beach again yesterday (July 13) to check on progress with clearing illegal businesses off the beach and the public land behind it.

She also spoke about tackling businesses occupying public car parking spaces, particularly along the beach road.

These include motorbike taxis, car and bike rental businesses and black taxis operating from public parking.

The responsibility for clearing these businesses off public parking lies with Kathu Police, she said.

Accompanied by Territorial Defence Volunteers and police, she also talked with local long-tail boat operators, whose boats were parked on sand.

They assured her that this was purely temporary; that they were keeping their boats safe from the bad weather and as soon as the weather improved they would put them back in the water.

Now that most of the entrepreneurs have been cleared off the beach, she added, the focus will turn to transportation services on Rat U-Thit 200 Pi Rd “soon”.

A meeting will be held in the coming days to discuss the reorganisation of transport services in the town.

A month ago Mayor Chalermluk proposed reorganising the tuk-tuks and taxis into a hop-on hop-off public transport system, with the vehicles being parked away from town and called in when needed or when it is their turn, in a system similar to the popular “baht buses” in Pattaya or Chiang Mai’s rot daeng (red trucks).

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/illegal-occupation-of-public-parking-next-target-of-phuket-tourist-centre-cleanup-47335.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2014-07-14

Walked along the beach yesterday. Dodged the motorbikes,jet ski's and pickups. Rubbish everywhere, the only bins are right at the back along the road side. Disgusting. It was just as dirty at Surin and Kamala the week before.

Tourists laying on towels amongst the mess. thumbsup.gif

Maybe they can get the people from the overcrowded jails in Phuket town on a chain gang and clean the place up, make them give something back to the community.

This Island is going to sink under the weight of trash! bah.gif

• Like 2

Keep up the good work !

Once there is a public transport system in Phuket and they start to properly clean the beaches, me and the mrs will also consider going back for a visit.

As I said before, a tram system that runs on the road from beach to beach would be ideal, like the london tram or even the San Francisco style going up the hills. It's a big project and will do a world of good for the island, making it seem like a civilized place to stay. And would create lots of jobs in building it and running it,

and they need a mainline rail connection from Phuket town via the airport connecting to Surat Thani so one can get the train from Bangkok. Would be lovely

• Like 1

I hear about beach cleanup, sidewalk cleanup, but when will they start dealing with the real problem of corruption or have I just been missing that news? What about the unsafe hotels in Pattaya where people keep falling to their deaths. I don't know but these seem to me to be a couple of the larger problems.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Walked along the beach yesterday. Dodged the motorbikes,jet ski's and pickups. Rubbish everywhere, the only bins are right at the back along the road side. Disgusting. It was just as dirty at Surin and Kamala the week before.

Tourists laying on towels amongst the mess. alt=thumbsup.gif>

Maybe they can get the people from the overcrowded jails in Phuket town on a chain gang and clean the place up, make them give something back to the community.

This Island is going to sink under the weight of trash! alt=bah.gif>

YEP! This is why Thailand will never be a world-class destination. Thais don't get it. They are perfectly happing living amid rubbish and disarray. I'm amazed because they keep themselves so clean (I have never come across a bad-smelling Thai). But while they are meticulous about their personal appearance and the cars they drive if they can afford one, they keep messy dirty homes for the most part and have no concept of aesthetics.

• Like 1

If the tuk-tuks are moved off Beach Road and Rat-U-Thit Road, the only way they can operate is to either drive around like baht buses, or set up several "booths" with staff having radio contact with the drivers.

Such "booths" will also be illegal structures, so hopefully they will have no choice but to circulate as baht buses.

If the tuk-tuks are moved off Beach Road and Rat-U-Thit Road, the only way they can operate is to either drive around like baht buses, or set up several "booths" with staff having radio contact with the drivers.

Such "booths" will also be illegal structures, so hopefully they will have no choice but to circulate as baht buses.

Good, let them operate like Baht Buses. Do a bit of driving work all through the day, and not laze about cluttering up the place all day for the one or two big fares each day. Fact of the matter they would earn money, sure the would use more fuel, but still make more income.

• Like 1

Good, let them operate like Baht Buses. Do a bit of driving work all through the day, and not laze about cluttering up the place all day for the one or two big fares each day. Fact of the matter they would earn money, sure the would use more fuel, but still make more income.

Exactly LIK.

When in Pattaya, and I see the baht buses, everytime I see a full one, and that's most of the time at night, I think to myself, "There's another 120 to the driver."

On Beach Road and 2nd Road, the driver usually gets another 10 baht every couple of hundred metres. Doesn't sound like much, but over a 10 hour shift, that's quite good salary for an unskilled Thai, working as a driver.

As you say, the tuk-tuks on Phuket are lazy, and are only happy to sit around until it's their turn rip off one or two tourist for a 400 baht, 10 minute ride, and that's a day's salary, made in 20 minutes.

Unless they circulate, where are they all going to park, and how much is that going to cost them?

Edited by NamKangMan
  • Like 1

......and the jet-skis doing business on public land?

Yep I am really hoping these guys get the boot completely. I have had many close calls with them while diving off Kata or Karon beaches. I know of one instructor who claims a jet ski hit him.

Aside from all the scams and extortion cases, piloting a boat of any kind requires a Thai captains license. They are allowing tourists to operate them illegally. Kata, Karon and Nai Harn jet ski touts all take their jet skis out of the water at the north end of Kata using 4x4 vehicles and samlors which race up and down the beach to get speed enough to cross the loose sand, causing tourists to grab their children and jump out of the way. I have seen small children very nearly run over. Last year one the the jetski touts hit a tourist with an anchor after running over his stuff. All the vehicles on the beach are setting a bad precedent. I recently saw a group of Russian divers drive their Fortuner out onto the beachand park near the water and unload their dive kit!

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

YEP! This is why Thailand will never be a world-class destination. Thais don't get it. They are perfectly happing living amid rubbish and disarray. I'm amazed because they keep themselves so clean (I have never come across a bad-smelling Thai). But while they are meticulous about their personal appearance and the cars they drive if they can afford one, they keep messy dirty homes for the most part and have no concept of aesthetics.

You just don't know the right Thai's. I know plenty that are so happy the army is getting to work fixing dozens of problems. Most are happy to stay under military rule forever. Its the only way to keep corruption down.

• Like 1

Never been on a motorbike taxi?

Smell like Polecats, most of them.

jb1

Never been on a motorbike taxi?

Smell like Polecats, most of them.

jb1

How do you know they smell, if you have never been on one?

Keep up the good work !

Once there is a public transport system in Phuket and they start to properly clean the beaches, me and the mrs will also consider going back for a visit.

As I said before, a tram system that runs on the road from beach to beach would be ideal, like the london tram or even the San Francisco style going up the hills. It's a big project and will do a world of good for the island, making it seem like a civilized place to stay. And would create lots of jobs in building it and running it,

and they need a mainline rail connection from Phuket town via the airport connecting to Surat Thani so one can get the train from Bangkok. Would be lovely

Why would you use trams instead of a bus?

No rails, no electrified overhead wires.

Seems stupid and non-effective to use trams over a bus.

Keep up the good work !

Less pollution, noise, traffic and accidents... I could probably thing of a few more in another 10 seconds. whistling.gif

• Like 1

Keep up the good work !

Less pollution, noise, traffic and accidents... I could probably thing of a few more in another 10 seconds. whistling.gif

Exactly

They are CLEAN and not chucking out shit into the atmosphere like thai busses, they have a very SMOOTH ride so you can get to your destination in COMFORT, they are SAFE the thai driver can't overtake and hit oncoming traffic, he's on fixed rails so no funny business, they are QUICK at getting you to your destination as the tram takes precedent on the road in all situations, they can go 'off road' meaning with some good civil engineering they can go routes the bus can not

Loads more reasons but these are off the top of my head. If Thailand are keen on their image then this would make Phuket looks great with such a good piece of infrastructure. They could quite comfortably afford it and have done for decades, if you took out all corruption from their budget. Unfortunately the selfishness and short sightedness of those in charge in Phuket has meant such a project has not been built or even envisioned (other than the recent feasibility study for a tram only in Phuket town..)

Keep up the good work !

Exactly

They are CLEAN and not chucking out shit into the atmosphere like thai busses, they have a very SMOOTH ride so you can get to your destination in COMFORT, they are SAFE the thai driver can't overtake and hit oncoming traffic, he's on fixed rails so no funny business, they are QUICK at getting you to your destination as the tram takes precedent on the road in all situations, they can go 'off road' meaning with some good civil engineering they can go routes the bus can not

Loads more reasons but these are off the top of my head. If Thailand are keen on their image then this would make Phuket looks great with such a good piece of infrastructure. They could quite comfortably afford it and have done for decades, if you took out all corruption from their budget. Unfortunately the selfishness and short sightedness of those in charge in Phuket has meant such a project has not been built or even envisioned (other than the recent feasibility study for a tram only in Phuket town..)

I doubt trams as you call them, would go over hills very well. This is a mountainous island. The San Francisco cable cars are an antique system that requires a lot of maintenance and the cars are custom made and maintained by the city. They are not an electric trolly. If the government can't even set up a bus public bus system, I doubt they would be able to manage anything else...

• Like 1