Illegal occupation of public parking next target of Phuket tourist centre cleanup

webfact

Keep up the good work !

Once there is a public transport system in Phuket and they start to properly clean the beaches, me and the mrs will also consider going back for a visit.

As I said before, a tram system that runs on the road from beach to beach would be ideal, like the london tram or even the San Francisco style going up the hills. It's a big project and will do a world of good for the island, making it seem like a civilized place to stay. And would create lots of jobs in building it and running it,

and they need a mainline rail connection from Phuket town via the airport connecting to Surat Thani so one can get the train from Bangkok. Would be lovely

Why would you use trams instead of a bus?

No rails, no electrified overhead wires.

Seems stupid and non-effective to use trams over a bus.

Less pollution, noise, traffic and accidents... I could probably thing of a few more in another 10 seconds. whistling.gif

Exactly

They are CLEAN and not chucking out shit into the atmosphere like thai busses, they have a very SMOOTH ride so you can get to your destination in COMFORT, they are SAFE the thai driver can't overtake and hit oncoming traffic, he's on fixed rails so no funny business, they are QUICK at getting you to your destination as the tram takes precedent on the road in all situations, they can go 'off road' meaning with some good civil engineering they can go routes the bus can not

Loads more reasons but these are off the top of my head. If Thailand are keen on their image then this would make Phuket looks great with such a good piece of infrastructure. They could quite comfortably afford it and have done for decades, if you took out all corruption from their budget. Unfortunately the selfishness and short sightedness of those in charge in Phuket has meant such a project has not been built or even envisioned (other than the recent feasibility study for a tram only in Phuket town..)

Aside from the fact the energy produced in order to power said trams is not, currently, available on the Island.,......

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Walked along the beach yesterday. Dodged the motorbikes,jet ski's and pickups. Rubbish everywhere, the only bins are right at the back along the road side. Disgusting. It was just as dirty at Surin and Kamala the week before.

Tourists laying on towels amongst the mess. alt=thumbsup.gif>

Maybe they can get the people from the overcrowded jails in Phuket town on a chain gang and clean the place up, make them give something back to the community.

This Island is going to sink under the weight of trash! alt=bah.gif>

YEP! This is why Thailand will never be a world-class destination. Thais don't get it. They are perfectly happing living amid rubbish and disarray. I'm amazed because they keep themselves so clean (I have never come across a bad-smelling Thai). But while they are meticulous about their personal appearance and the cars they drive if they can afford one, they keep messy dirty homes for the most part and have no concept of aesthetics.

Never been on a motorbike taxi?

Smell like Polecats, most of them.

jb1

How do you know they smell, if you have never been on one?

Edited by Valentine

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Walked along the beach yesterday. Dodged the motorbikes,jet ski's and pickups. Rubbish everywhere, the only bins are right at the back along the road side. Disgusting. It was just as dirty at Surin and Kamala the week before.

Tourists laying on towels amongst the mess. alt=thumbsup.gif>

Maybe they can get the people from the overcrowded jails in Phuket town on a chain gang and clean the place up, make them give something back to the community.

This Island is going to sink under the weight of trash! alt=bah.gif>

Not sure if you are referring to Patong Beach but yesterday I only saw one jet ski on the beach. Don't know what you mean about dodging motorbikes and pickups. The surf was very high until mid afternoon so of course a lot of crap washed up on shore and there is still garbage on the beach ( back of the tree line) left from closed down beach bars. However, tremendous progress in just a few days so we should be optimistic that much better days are ahead.

Yes, Patong Beach. Late afternoon. There were several jet ski's out at sea and a few on the beach. Two pickups were racing along the shore line at quite a speed. They were not beach patrol pickups. Motorbikes along the back of the beach and some between the tree's dodging tourists as they went.

Fresh rubbish ( not washed up) all around the place.

I"m not disputing the progress of the army just pointing out what a disgusting mess the beach area is.

I doubt they would be able to manage anything else...

I agree. So let someone such as the Swiss install and manage the tram system - they have good experience of running tram-like' trains up the steepest mountain...

• Like 1