I weakened . . .

14710309393_4e2de5b52a_b.jpg

With the smc Pentax-FA 31mm f/1.8 Limited, not on tripod just propped on kitchen counter.

This is one horrible photo. Far from you quality. What did happen?

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is one horrible photo. Far from you quality. What did happen?

Being polite I didn't want to say anything but I did cringe when I saw it.  smile.png

I suspect not quite used to having a FF sensor yet.  At wide open (1.8) and at that short distance to the object with a FF the DOF will be less than a cm.  Perhaps testing that though a different smaller object would have been a better choice.

//edit - actually even a APS-C or u 4/3 will have longer but not significantly so DOF.

I think MJP being MJP he has something on his sleeves. Out of focus pictures of the tomatoes is not interesting. Pictures taken by expected professional could be interesting as those show what the lens can do. Showing how shallow the DOF with F1.8 lens is interesting. 

MJP you have some explaining to do. Why to take wide open images of the static objects? Then again. What are the benefits to use fast lens for this kind of photos?

These are test shots. Test shots are meant to be extremely bad. I do however like the colours.

Do note the little tomato is in focus. Is it little though? Or is it just far away?

Add to that it was wide open using the Pentax 31mm Limited which has developed a focus sticking issue and hence is off for repair this week. Oh how I do hope they can finally sort that lens out!

Edited by MJP

@MJP I should have known better. The best artists are the ones who have the best stories and explanations what their art represent. 

No wonder why I always got the best grades from my abstract arts on the class as I was able to talk my way about the mess to impress my teacher. 

I had absolute no idea what I was painting. 

@MJP I should have known better. The best artists are the ones who have the best stories and explanations what their art represent. 

No wonder why I always got the best grades from my abstract arts on the class as I was able to talk my way about the mess to impress my teacher. 

I had absolute no idea what I was painting. 

Pentax 31mm Limited should be stripped down, cleaned, re-aligned and perfect within the next couple of weeks. A good copy of this lens is incredible. Mine is awful . . . at the moment.

Sony Zeiss FE 55/1.8 (similar to Otus quality) will be here Wednesday.

Then a massive amount of crappy old glass is going on Ebay to whittle the kit down to something sensible.

@MJP somehow the most memorable photos you have taken have been black and white. Can we now expect to see some colors as well?

In this age of vivid colour, a mass of it, I think B&W photos are the most memorable.

Yes! I think this A7r device, especially with the Pentax glass and a few of the M42's will shoot some incredible black and white images. So long as I push all the right buttons at the right times whilst holding the thing steady. That's the limitation. Quite a big one.

Then a massive amount of crappy old glass is going on Ebay to whittle the kit down to something sensible.

If it's that crap you might as well give it to me laugh.png

Which camera are you getting, I'm quite happy to send you some.

MJP doing his witchcraft once again. Could someone give the instructions how to reach the pyre?

Do you like the black and white tomato?

I did not found the tomato impressive nor liked it, but the dog with no mouth was something I could not stop staring - for reason I could not comprehend. 

What was the thing about the b&w tomato with very short dof? 

MJP doing his witchcraft once again. Could someone give the instructions how to reach the pyre?

Do you like the black and white tomato?

I did not found the tomato impressive nor liked it, but the dog with no mouth was something I could not stop staring - for reason I could not comprehend. 

What was the thing about the b&w tomato with very short dof? 

It's a macro lens wide open and fairly close. It's no longer red.

I have a K-r and a Lumix G3 at the moment biggrin.png

Edited by sustento

I have a K-r and a Lumix G3 at the moment biggrin.png

Okay, so you can use M42 and K-mount. This is good because I have M42 and K-mount.

I've got the kit 18-55 and an old A 50mm f1.7 K mount at the moment. I'm not too knowledgeable about the variety of lenses out there especially not M42s. I'm a bit of a novice really.

I will send you a Jupiter-11A with M42 adapter.

Edited by MJP

In that case the shot was either too technical or too artistic for me to understand and give value it deserves. I might come back to this after couple of years and give you huge credit of the shot :)

In that case the shot was either too technical or too artistic for me to understand and give value it deserves. I might come back to this after couple of years and give you huge credit of the shot smile.png

Nah, I'm only pullin' yer leg, it's dreadful.

Sony ILCE-7S
FE 55mm F1.8 ZA

f/8, 1/60s, ISO 10,000

14344737810_afaacc6abf_b.jpg

Sony ILCE-7S
FE 70-200mm F4 G OSS

125mm, f/4, 1/400s, ISO 51,200 (FIFTY ONE THOUSAND TWO HUNDRED AND ZERO PENCE!!!)

14565236894_8276a2d64b_b.jpg

Edited by MJP
  • Like 2

I've got the kit 18-55 and an old A 50mm f1.7 K mount at the moment. I'm not too knowledgeable about the variety of lenses out there especially not M42s. I'm a bit of a novice really.

Wow, that is real nice of you.

Can you send me the Tair 11A please.wai.gif  

Just joking.

Wow, that is real nice of you.

Can you send me the Tair 11A please.wai.gif  

Just joking.

Sadly, my Tair-11A copy is mint and optically perfect.