No more Thai visa runs: Immigration will not let visa runners return after Aug 12

I'm on double entry tourist visa spending a week in Vietnam and arriving back to Thailand on 14th for second half of my visa.

Wonder how this will go. I don't have any back to back visas in my passport, and I don't have any visa exemptions. I do have multiple double entry tourist visas over many years. Visa was acquired from home country, not a border country in Asia.

you'll be fine. youre not doing an Out/In

That is wrong info.

He is doing an out/in just not an instant one... It says nothing about them clamping down only on instant turnaround entries, it said they are clamping down on EVERYONE with multiple visas in their passport from re-entering on a tourist visa.

So I would say he is NOT going to be OK.

Remember Sunday where many were refused entry with visas issued in KL?.... That wasn't an instant turnaround out/in situation, but they still got refused.... because they had other tourist visas in their passports.

I think at best he has a 50/50 chance of getting back in, and all down to the officer on the border at the time. You can't even ask immigration for advice because nothing is consistent, any day at any time they can just say NO at will.

I'm on double entry tourist visa spending a week in Vietnam and arriving back to Thailand on 14th for second half of my visa.

Wonder how this will go. I don't have any back to back visas in my passport, and I don't have any visa exemptions. I do have multiple double entry tourist visas over many years. Visa was acquired from home country, not a border country in Asia.

That is wrong info.

He is doing an out/in just not an instant one... It says nothing about them clamping down only on instant turnaround entries, it said they are clamping down on EVERYONE with multiple visas in their passport from re-entering on a tourist visa.

Remember Sunday where many were refused entry with visas issued in KL?.... That wasn't an instant turnaround out/in situation, but they still got refused.... because they had other tourist visas in their passports.

I think at best he has a 50/50 chance of getting back in, and all down to the officer on the border at the time. You can't even ask immigration for advice because nothing is consistent, any day at any time they can just say NO at will.

as far as I read, those folks had just acquired NEW visas. this case is a guy entering on the second entry of an existing visa. not the same at all

That is wrong info.

If you actually read the article, they were only refused at the land border. They were instructed to go back to KL, buy an airline ticket and fly in. Therefore, all visa holders were ultimately NOT denied entry into Thailand.

• Like 1

How do you define Out/In though? I'll be in Vietnam for 7 days. Is Out/In about people who cross back the same day? 1 day? 3 days? 1 week?

I wish the immigration rules were clearer.

I would say it is discretionary but in most other countries where they already have clampdowns on out/in it is between 3 and 6 months. Just to make sure you don't have a regular job here ilegaly.

• Like 1

How do you define Out/In though? I'll be in Vietnam for 7 days. Is Out/In about people who cross back the same day? 1 day? 3 days? 1 week?

I wish the immigration rules were clearer.

I would say it is discretionary but in most other countries where they already have clampdowns on out/in it is between 3 and 6 months. Just to make sure you don't have a regular job here ilegaly.

what countries specify 3 to 6 months between ENTRIES on the same visa?

People are getting confused.

For me, this is further confirmation on the story Thai Visa posted yesterday - http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/742573-tourist-visa-holders-denied-entry-to-thailand-and-left-stranded-in-malaysia/

It's a crackdown on people who abuse the visa exempt system and tourist visas, that's all.

This is aimed at people who get tourist visas or just nip in and out every few months and end up staying here for a couple of years or more.

The line from Immigration yesterday was "you are a tourist for 30 days, no more" which is right IMO.

You can't keep on getting tourist visas just so you can stay in Thailand, it isn't the correct visa for that.

Times are changing.

Will it be ED-Visas next?

tourist visas are for 60 days

• Like 2

That is wrong info.

If you actually read the article, they were only refused at the land border. They were instructed to go back to KL, buy an airline ticket and fly in. Therefore, all visa holders were ultimately NOT denied entry into Thailand.

I DID read the article, and as from next month it includes flying also.... If you read THIS article, then you would know that... wouldn't you.

I don't agree with people just saying 'you'll be fine' how the hell do they know he'll be fine?

Better to make sure your ass is covered and possibly seek BETTER advice than thaivisa members.

It is clear there is a hell of a lot of confusion on here, so best not to have too much faith in the info....

The most important thing is that he said he was arriving back on the 14th, considering it is July 15th one can only assume that his return is 14th August after the airports are included in the clampdown which will be nationwide by that date.... so he could be screwed.

• Like 1

Did anybody read this line in the story: "Visa runners are those who leave Thailand and return immediately for the purpose of extending their stay."

Seems pretty clear to me.

Exactly right, Udon Joe

Although shouldn't this technically read "border runners are those who leave Thailand and return immediately for the purpose of extending their stay."

Wouldn't that be a more accurate terminology to use?

I DID read the article, and as from next month it includes flying also.... If you read THIS article, then you would know that... wouldn't you.

I don't agree with people just saying 'you'll be fine' how the hell do they know he'll be fine?

Better to make sure your ass is covered and possibly seek BETTER advice than thaivisa members.

It is clear there is a hell of a lot of confusion on here, so best not to have too much faith in the info....

The most important thing is that he said he was arriving back on the 14th, considering it is July 15th one can only assume that his return is 14th August after the airports are included in the clampdown which will be nationwide by that date.... so he could be screwed.

the article said NOTHING about using the second entry of a double entry tourist visa after a weeks trip outside the country. you are upsetting the guy unnecessarily

Did anybody read this line in the story: "Visa runners are those who leave Thailand and return immediately for the purpose of extending their stay."

Seems pretty clear to me.

No.... This is not what immigration is saying or how they are categorizing who they are cracking down on. This is what the writer of the OP is saying to explain to the reader what a 'visa runner' is.

I'm wondering how this nonsense will apply to those of us who live next door (in Cambodia)... many of us come to Bangkok regularly throughout the year (normally on visa exemption) for a few days to enjoy "big city" life and stock up on the things we can't get in the Reap. Will we be accused of staying in Thailand because we have a hat full of visa-exempt or tourist visa stamps in our passports?

• Like 2

Wonder what will happen to all those foreigners that are married, have children, but don't have enough money to get a Non-Imm visa based on marriage.

Will Immigration start splitting up families?

No I don't think so.

A one year NON-IMM Multiple entry visa costs only 5000 baht and is valid for a year. A man who is married and or with children should be able to scratch that together. When in a real financial jam the married foreigner can always get a 60 day extension for the low price of 1900 baht.

What's clear is married people are no longer going to be able to live here using back to back visa except/tourist visa extensions.

No, they need to show 400,000 Bt per annum, or monthly equivalent.

You are referring to a visa extension. If you are on a non o multiple entry visa, you will have no problems re-entering, as they are cracking down on visa exempts and tourist visas. you should take your marriage certificate and 20k baht, just in case they ask, but you probably won't need it.

• Like 1

Wonder what will happen to all those foreigners that are married, have children, but don't have enough money to get a Non-Imm visa based on marriage.

Will Immigration start splitting up families?

I hope so.

These guys should have thought about the correct visa before getting married and having kids.

A little forward planning/saving may have helped them here.

You hope that families are split up??

You are a dreadful person.

What about the kids losing their father.... their fault as well eh????

Your bitterness is unique and I m glad I don't think I have had to suffer meeting someone with your thought process.

Maybe one day we will see you back on here whining because your own category is being rinsed by the xenophobic Thai immigration.

My personal opinion is live and let live, these people are seldom terrible people and you wish them a downfall??

More like Thailand needs rid of people like YOU!!!!

the father is perfectly capable of obtaining immigration for his children to his own country.

• Like 1

I'm wondering how this nonsense will apply to those of us who live next door (in Cambodia)... many of us come to Bangkok regularly throughout the year (normally on visa exemption) for a few days to enjoy "big city" life and stock up on the things we can't get in the Reap. Will we be accused of staying in Thailand because we have a hat full of visa-exempt or tourist visa stamps in our passports?

Initially, I think that's a possibility - the officers on the southern border appear to have over-reacted to the instructions they were given purely to 'send a message', but logic says that your exemptions will be separated by at least a month - that hardly lines up with their definition of a 'visa runner'. If anything, you could use your time here to advise those who seem to be looking at Cambodia as the alternative to Thailand, particularly the fellow who naively suggested in another thread that Cambo might be the 'Thailand' he wants to live in. Swings and roundabouts but we just want the swings :D