No more Thai visa runs: Immigration will not let visa runners return after Aug 12

The 64,000 dollar question is:

What is the minimum amount of time a suspected visa-runner should stay out of the kingdom to avoid the dreaded O-I stamp?

Will it be 24 hours, 48 hours, 72 hours, or is it going to be another arbitrary decision based on the whim of each border agent?

Off-topic side note: This past week I have been inundated with requests to teach or tutor English. Requests are coming from all directions. I say no because I am not a qualified English teacher. Are a lot of undocumented English teachers packing up and leaving?

I am curious about this also. When I was a teacher, it was like pulling teeth to get my employer to get me my WP. It eventually got done but sometimes needed to do a I-O.

Schools will now need to be more proactive and only hire those with a degree.

I've been asked to teach English at a small private school although I'm not a teacher. I think the main reason is just to give exposure to native English speech so it's not teaching in the real sense. The main reason for not doing it is the difficulty in getting a work permit for irregular employment. I seem to remember there was a scheme a little while back to use native speakers in schools but it had problems because the rules weren't drawn up until people had already agreed to do this. Some just wanted to help but the rules were too restrictive regarding how many hours were needed Not sure what happened about it.

It does seem as if this might affect a lot of those teaching under these circumstances.

What person with a teaching degree is going to work for peanuts !

It's not about being perfect, but a question about being a responsible parent!

Like circumstances never change! Stupid comments from cruel and stupid people - how anyone could actually hope (and publically state that fact) that families are torn apart by the state because the family are no longer as wealthy as they once were (ill-health/world wide financial collapse - heard about that?/loss of job/unexpected family costs (sick child etc)/etc) are truly the worse kinds of people - and deserve to live in countries where such things are common place and feel the pain and damage that inflicts!

I do NOT support his statement about hoping that families will be split apart over this.

Yes everything costs money, but getting a proper visa is actually a lot less expensive that making border runs as tourist. No matter what, then it is irresponsible to to get caught up in this crackdown as foreign parent in Thailand. Of course it's not good for anyone that families will split, specially not the kids, but it doesn't make the actions less irresponsible.

The same counts for those who had their illegal business taken down, it's not an excuse that they lose their living and that they have done it for several years. What they have done is illegal, and the fact that they have been doing it for years only makes the case worse.

Getting a visa (5k) will not help - they would still need to do 90 day, back-to-back, visa runs. They would have to get an extension for reasons of marriage, which means having 400,000 in the bank for two months (seasoned) which will be beyond the scope of many people that have had this suddenly sprung upon them and especially those with hardships (not all hardship can be planned for) - tearing apart a family in never the answer - ensuring that that person dos not work illegally (not so hard to do - random spot visits etc), making it easier for long term married (and married with kids) families to stay together regardless of bank balance would - how does damaging families help the state or the future of the country? There is more to immigration policy than cash, that is why all the wealthiest countries with the greatest draw to illegals, still have laws and immigration rules to protect families.

In a country with practically no welfare net - and none for foreigners at all - there is no valid reason for this to be a priority and certainly no benefit over tearing apart families. Xenophobia pure and simple!

I don't hope it ruins families - I hope it destroys the already tentative tourist industry here - maybe then they will learn the Buddhist mantra of cause and effect.

• Like 1

To all the people on here making negative comments to those who are now facing some major difficulties. I want to see your face when your condo price drops in half and your investment condos sit empty..... Maybe too those owning a house through a company gets it taken away as it is not legal to own... Your time is coming !

I am fine with my visa but feel a little sad for some people. This country provided a loophole and people took advantage ( doing nothing wrong) and after investing money and time here are now left outside the system. It was not really their fault. I think Thailand is doing a very bad service to many people.... Karma will take its revenge on Thailand....

You're wishing revenge on Thailand for simply enforcing its own immigration laws? Perhaps karma will get back at you for your insidious attitude.

A lot of people are going to lose a lot. Including Thais. This is baby with bath water on steroids. Too inflexible and done too fast. It would be OK if there were now easier "real" visas, work permits, including legalization of online freelancing, etc. But there is not. On the condo market, no kidding, this is really bad for places like Pattaya. Cause and effect clearly not well considered on this one.

having lived in pattaya for over 20 years i dont know any condo owner that is a visa runner.

False.... under 50 year old age ( I don't worked, I dont leartn thai, I had no thai wife... I was just a long term tourist: Only relax and spending my money ) no any other options to stay in the country for longer time, than the 3 entry tourist visa ( visa runs ) Now it seems illegal, despite the law says it is still legal.... BTW I own 3 condo and planned to buy a 4th... Under the new " visa lottery " I changed my mind...

You get a double or multiple entry and leave to come right back in its a NO GO as THAT IS BACK TO BACK that means your holiday winters are out and your condo is only useable for 30 days and NOT that lovely multiple entry visa you were issued back home...

You understand that ALL multiple entry visas if used back to back either by land or an airport can now be refused and very possibly will be ... with all your stuff stuck in Thailand and poss your air ticket home or route out of swampy too

If you take extended hols here, say retired and have a condo your now stuffed if you have a family you spend time with for any more than 30 days your stuffed unless you leave and go tour around another country while out here... yea great use of the time when your here to spend your winters or dont get to see family every year so do a 6 weeker or more. How about your family coming to spend the winter with you or a few months ? they are also stuffed now... think about it you people who think its so great they "enforcing things" they really are messing this one up. ... or maybe you dont have any family who want to spend more than 30 days with you.. rolleyes.gif.pagespeed.ce.hZ59UWKk-s.gif

Parties over unless your on a work visa or retirement or a married visa...an ED or a package or 30 day max stay... anything else and your winging it.... ive sent this thread and another to all people I know... I suggest you do the same before some get badly caught out and maybe worse, stranded at some border.

That's marriage/retirement extensions - multi-visas based on those reasons are just as vulnerable to back-to-back 90 day visa runs. ED Visas are going to be the next target, just watch.

Im pretty sure it will be too. If any time it was more true that "never invest more than you can afford to walk away from" I have never seen it more glaringly true in near 20 years of being here.

To anyone who thinks they are safe. NOTHING is safe and secure here only tolerated.

They can easily revoke the spouse ownership of land and houses married to farang just as easily as they brought it in and roll things back a few decades.. Laws can be changed and not grandfathered if they choose, or simply revoked.

Others can be interpreted exactly as they want, and do.

• Like 1

A lot of people are going to lose a lot. Including Thais. This is baby with bath water on steroids. Too inflexible and done too fast. It would be OK if there were now easier "real" visas, work permits, including legalization of online freelancing, etc. But there is not. On the condo market, no kidding, this is really bad for places like Pattaya. Cause and effect clearly not well considered on this one.

Forget "online freelancing" - if it doesn't take a job from a Thai, it doesn't matter. Just... forget about it.

• Like 1

Like circumstances never change! Stupid comments from cruel and stupid people - how anyone could actually hope (and publically state that fact) that families are torn apart by the state because the family are no longer as wealthy as they once were (ill-health/world wide financial collapse - heard about that?/loss of job/unexpected family costs (sick child etc)/etc) are truly the worse kinds of people - and deserve to live in countries where such things are common place and feel the pain and damage that inflicts!

I do NOT support his statement about hoping that families will be split apart over this.

Yes everything costs money, but getting a proper visa is actually a lot less expensive that making border runs as tourist. No matter what, then it is irresponsible to to get caught up in this crackdown as foreign parent in Thailand. Of course it's not good for anyone that families will split, specially not the kids, but it doesn't make the actions less irresponsible.

The same counts for those who had their illegal business taken down, it's not an excuse that they lose their living and that they have done it for several years. What they have done is illegal, and the fact that they have been doing it for years only makes the case worse.

Getting a visa (5k) will not help - they would still need to do 90 day, back-to-back, visa runs. They would have to get an extension for reasons of marriage, which means having 400,000 in the bank for two months (seasoned) which will be beyond the scope of many people that have had this suddenly sprung upon them and especially those with hardships (not all hardship can be planned for) - tearing apart a family in never the answer - ensuring that that person dos not work illegally (not so hard to do - random spot visits etc), making it easier for long term married (and married with kids) families to stay together regardless of bank balance would - how does damaging families help the state or the future of the country? There is more to immigration policy than cash, that is why all the wealthiest countries with the greatest draw to illegals, still have laws and immigration rules to protect families.

In a country with practically no welfare net - and none for foreigners at all - there is no valid reason for this to be a priority and certainly no benefit over tearing apart families. Xenophobia pure and simple!

I don't hope it ruins families - I hope it destroys the already tentative tourist industry here - maybe then they will learn the Buddhist mantra of cause and effect.

If you have problems either making 40k per month or somehow manage to show a "saving", i think you have more serious issues than only getting visa, specially if you have to provide for a family. This is not done to damage families, it's done to get rid of those who are not here on proper visa. This can actually help make it easier to get a job for those who are here for good reason such as children. Because this will make it harder for people to stay and work without proper visa and work permit, hence it can also become easier to get one of the few jobs foreigners can actually get here.

It is true that there is no welfare, but shouldn't that have been something to consider before creating family here? If you want to stay here as foreigner, you should be able to provide for yourself (and family if you have).

Only a very evil minded person would hope it will ruin families. I actually hope this will get rid of a lot the illegal workers who are here, that makes it more difficult for foreigners with family to get a job.

It is a shame that things has to come to this, and we have those to thank who has been abusing the loop holes.

• Like 1

You get a double or multiple entry and leave to come right back in its a NO GO as THAT IS BACK TO BACK that means your holiday winters are out and your condo is only useable for 30 days and NOT that lovely multiple entry visa you were issued back home...

You understand that ALL multiple entry visas if used back to back either by land or an airport can now be refused and very possibly will be ... with all your stuff stuck in Thailand and poss your air ticket home or route out of swampy too

If you take extended hols here, say retired and have a condo your now stuffed if you have a family you spend time with for any more than 30 days your stuffed unless you leave and go tour around another country while out here... yea great use of the time when your here to spend your winters or dont get to see family every year so do a 6 weeker or more. How about your family coming to spend the winter with you or a few months ? they are also stuffed now... think about it you people who think its so great they "enforcing things" they really are messing this one up. ... or maybe you dont have any family who want to spend more than 30 days with you.. rolleyes.gif.pagespeed.ce.hZ59UWKk-s.gif

Parties over unless your on a work visa or retirement or a married visa...an ED or a package or 30 day max stay... anything else and your winging it.... ive sent this thread and another to all people I know... I suggest you do the same before some get badly caught out and maybe worse, stranded at some border.

back to back visas means more than one visa. a double or triple entry TV is ONE VISA

But, when the first 30 days is used up, then the "tourist" does a Visa run to extend it to 60 (then 90). This is extending the visa via a visa run for the purposes of staying in the country longer - just what they have said is the NO NO. A carte blanche excuse for any little-Hitler on the immigration desk to refuse entry.

All the talk has been for Tourist Visas, but non-imm 'o' visas (not extensions) are also visa run every 90 days - in/out - and thus are fair game. All the talk of "get the right visa" is fine and dandy, but what about those that have, that are now precariously close to a border run as part of their multi, that may suddenly get barred from their families.

• Like 2

Wonder what will happen to all those foreigners that are married, have children, but don't have enough money to get a Non-Imm visa based on marriage.

Will Immigration start splitting up families?

If they are that poor, they shouldn't have had children.

To me, until Immigration make a statement of exactly what they mean, there will be confusion.

People need to understand if they can get a Double Tourist visa and be able to stay in Thailand for 6 months before they go back to their home country. Currently the situation is too vague.

Many I know over-winter in Thailand. They keep renting houses year after year for the full year and stay in them for 6 months before going back to their home country. This saves them the hassle of having to fine another place where they are comfortable and happy.

This apparent mish-mash of immigration is not helping the situation. Someone in authority needs to sit dow and actually state EXACTLY what the rules are.

• Like 1

Took some time, but now at least all the cheap and crapy foreigners will leave the country.

Hope that after implementation of this law, the army will conduct razzia's to deport foreigners, so we, the ones who came to Thailand on legal grounds will have a better stay.

Wonder what will happen to all those foreigners that are married, have children, but don't have enough money to get a Non-Imm visa based on marriage.

I hope so.

These guys should have thought about the correct visa before getting married and having kids.

A little forward planning/saving may have helped them here.

You live in a very black and white world don't you nottocus?

Edited by lostmebike

I don't get the problem, why doesn't people just get a proper visa?

Because for the under 50's there are no straight forward visas to get.

Unless you are married to a Thai, have a child with a Thai or want to study.

The 5k visa you refer to is a multiple entry no o visa. The order is targeting visa exempts and tourist visas only. The order also states they want people on the correct visa, which i interpret as non o and non b visas. The recent events at the southern border bears this out, as only visa exempts and tourist visas were refused entry.

Everyone here has an opinion, many are opinionated, but none of us really knows what's going on, or what will go on. That shouldn't give us reason to make up the facts as we go along. None of us has the right to pontificate or gloat at the expense of others, and definitely not to be nasty to or about them.

The rules are the rules in most places but things are different here, they get bent, twisted or just plain ignored for all sorts of reasons. One thing is for sure, it always happened because it suited whoever to let it happen.

Now we are in uncharted waters and we have to wait and see. A lot of lives are being affected in a negative way. Surely the right thing to do would have been to tell people " you can use this visa exemption this time but no more" or "you cannot use tourist visas to live here any longer after this one is used up". Would that not be a fairer way to deal with the crackdown instead turning people away at the border.

When it comes down to it Thais don't really like foriegners

Our money is wanted but our persons are not

the thais in my village do
How do you know? Actually if you ask thais if they like farang most will say no but there's no malice in it generally. It's just that they feel we are alien or its just a preference.
Again, it is most likely impossible to talk to every Thai (the "They"). Qualify with actual experiences and specifics. It really helps add credibility to a post.

A lot of visa run companies and van operators will be shutting up shop along with Farang bar owners.

Thailand is just applying visa rules like any other country in the world.

On a personal level I hope this crackdown removes a lot of the shady characters who live in the Kingdom.

I don't get it. I mean even some of the experienced mods are suggesting a visa run is same day or very most overnight. Where is immigrations definition of "in/out".

I'm currently in HCM for 5 nights. I have a lot of 30 day stamps. If it was post aug12 I would have zero confidence of getting back in. Even though I can show extensive traveling throughout Thailand while being a tourist. I'm 60 and made my bucks and befor all the high and mighty say "get a retirement visa" yes I agree and am in process, but will need to go back to AU to get paperwork/funds etc.

This has all been done way to hasty and heavy handed. I don't want to go to AU for couple of months. Maybe get a tourist visa in hcm. But don't even know rules to that. Have spent about $60,000au here in past 15 months all from au. If Thai government don't want it then stuff em

• Like 1

the father is perfectly capable of obtaining immigration for his children to his own country.

This may entail separating them from their Thai mother!

Can anyone say whether or not doing a border run is still acceptable if you have a proper non B visa? If not traveling home the the states i often like to cross the border just as a day trip and spend some time in chiang rai. Beats the hell out of chiang mai immigration. It sounds like this is about tourist visa abuse, but still leaves lots of uncertainty? Non immigration B still able to in and out?? Thanks to anyone who can answer.

The OP is referring to back to back in-out visa exempt and tourist visa entries.

"Non immigration B still able to in and out?"

Yes. The non immigrant visa category is not affected.

There's a recent report of a long-term non-B holders being viewed with grave suspicion because he hadn't secured a work permit.

back to back visas means more than one visa. a double or triple entry TV is ONE VISA

To reactivate a multiple the same day return would mean its back to back and thats a no no ... that is how a lot of immigration officers will see them, and you should know how variable they can be on new orders/directives. Fancy taking a chance or telling your family spending the airfare to find out in a lottery border return because of the way you interpret things compared to some gimp at a border crossing deciding hes gonna see it his way ?

Good luck with that and your look out.

To all the people on here making negative comments to those who are now facing some major difficulties. I want to see your face when your condo price drops in half and your investment condos sit empty..... Maybe too those owning a house through a company gets it taken away as it is not legal to own... Your time is coming !

I am fine with my visa but feel a little sad for some people. This country provided a loophole and people took advantage ( doing nothing wrong) and after investing money and time here are now left outside the system. It was not really their fault. I think Thailand is doing a very bad service to many people.... Karma will take its revenge on Thailand....

You're wishing revenge on Thailand for simply enforcing its own immigration laws? Perhaps karma will get back at you for your insidious attitude.

He did not wish revenge on Thailand, he said Karma will take its revenge. He means cause and effect as he quite eloquently outlined in the first paragraph. As real tourists fall fail, and airlines start to get scared of being lumbered with refused entrants, just watch as the tourism figures fall. Just watch as Cambodia, Philippines and Burma take advantage of it as they open up more and more for tourism and make it easier for retirees and expats too. Watch as those businessmen that come back and forth from other Asian countries suddenly start to get refused and forced to jump through complex hoops - and decide enough is enough and rebase to other ASEAN countries more open.

A simple change to hit a soft target that is not a problem at all, but makes the new guy (and the junta) look tough in the Thai press - can cause immense damage when taken to its conclusion.

Five years ago all the expats here I knew were here for life - now many are working out their escape plans (not all the same people) - fact is, as far as I can tell, a lot of people here (Thailand not just TV) have seen the terrible decline in Thailand from all angles ( violence, litter, scams, violent crime, burglary, muggings and theft, political violence (like never before - even in 73 it was very localised and short lived), xenophobia bordering on hatred, police indifference and scamming, and so much more ) and it continues to decline and we continue to take the brunt of their xenophobic scapegoating. People will be looking elsewhere in future and people already here that can leave, are thinking long and hard about doing just that. Me included - in fact I am working towards it right now, not back home, somewhere else warm and more welcoming.

If they are that poor, they shouldn't have had children.

What a puerile post. Obviously your parents had money as it seems you have a misguided sense of superiority in your posting.

Do you also consider yourself to be better than others because you have money?

In my experience those born into money are generally a poor reflection of their heritage, parents who married young and worked hard to get ahead in life. Pity most made the same mistake in giving their progeny an easy life - it shows in the self-entitlement and attitude towards others.

Some of the world's greatest leaders came from the most poverty stricken backgrounds. Show me where you stand compared to them.

Edited by ParadiseLost

Basically...

If they are happy to refuse a nice new shiny unused 60 day visa at the border.....

Then there is no way they are going to have a problem refusing the second entry of an 60 day double that the holder has already enjoyed a decent length of time in the kingdom already from.

Ignore AYJAYDEE I doubt it makes any difference between new and unused and already 60 to 90 days used visa,... If anything coming for a second entry may prove to be the most dodgy.

But we shall soon see. I think everything will become clearer soon.

Really...?!?!?!

Ummm so what is the purpose of a double entry tourist visa?

(hint: the answer is in the name)

• Like 1

A lot of lives are being affected in a negative way. Surely the right thing to do would have been to tell people " you can use this visa exemption this time but no more" or "you cannot use tourist visas to live here any longer after this one is used up". Would that not be a fairer way to deal with the crackdown instead turning people away at the border.

I don't know how long you have lived in Thailand, but the warnings have gone out long before the military took control. The only difference is that the military is following through with the warnings.

From my experience, this is much like a speed limit sign. Most drivers comply with the posted speed limit signs. (Dont even comment about speed limit signs here :)). Some don't and may be issued warnings. Eventually, after enough warnings, the police decide to issue citations. With enough citations, one can loose their license to drive.

It may be in simple terms, but sometimes simple is easier to understand for some folk.

"Resistance is futile"

The Borg

Sorry guys, but nobody ever mention the Non Immigrant Multiple Entry B Visa, which I have. I have a brand new passport as I run out of pages on my previous one. I had no prblem getting in by air the first time, but will it be the same in the future? The majority of topics seem to be focused on Tourist Visas, but I read on this fourm that even people with B Visas were turned away if they did not have a WP.

Anybody has info/thoughts on this matter?

thank you very much!

Edited by rogerpilly

So what kind of a problem are we looking at here? and I am mainly interested in the Falang quota.

For example;

For every 1,000 falang in thailand, how many have visa's and how many just do in/out border runs?

I mean a fairly high percentace will have retirement visas, another high percentage will have marriage visas, some will have normal work permits and others will have other sorts of visas, Ed visa for example. So how many remain without a visa?

Are we looking at 10% on in/out border runs? 20%? more?

And what is the prime reason they are doing this,

Seems to me that there are so many visa options available, so I am wondering why so many problems seem to be occuring.

Looks like a lot of foreigners are either leaving or will have to get married, have a child or get a retirement visa.

condos will be selling for peanuts soon

Interesting realignment of the planet's axis at this time, ...... ie: major changes to the Thai country and, yes I agree, Condo's becoming available at giveaway prices & ye' ole Visa Runners are crippled or obliged to invest $$$$$ into the Economy by way of Investment &/or Work Permits ??

.......... Sounds like a gigantic enema which could be a good thing, ....cleaning out foreigners overstaying their welcome..