Effects of new Out/in visa regulations on teachers

wayned

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If a teacher arrived without a visa, they'd receive 30 days visa-exempt permission to stay. They could then visit a Thai consulate or embassy to obtain a 60-day tourist visa. this visa can be extended for 30 days in-country (double this for a double entry). This is 4 - 7 months before they need to obtain a non-immigrant B visa.

Schools need to start processing paperwork before probation periods end.

I don't see a major problem unless teachers have been holidaying for months before looking for work.

What about a work permit ???? i thought that was one of the reasons these new rfules came into force, or old ones been enforced

lets hope that the teachers that are here legally can ask for more salary ?

:)

and if the runners are gone, they are going to be in demand...

does the sweet general not want good educators ? or just people to fill in positions and nothing ever changes ?

lets hope that the teachers that are here legally can ask for more salary ?

smile.png

and if the runners are gone, they are going to be in demand...

does the sweet general not want good educators ? or just people to fill in positions and nothing ever changes ?

Its a nice theory....The law of supply and demand would suggest that would happen.....this is Thailand though.....

Let me get this straight. If a prospective teacher gets the paperwork for the 90-day non-B from her agency/school, doesn't that give them 90 days before the work permit paperwork is needed? Shouldn't the last 30 days of that 90-days be enough time to process the work permit papers and the first 60 days would suffice as a probationary period for the school/agency?

Have I missed something?

It's not the work permit + extension which is usually the problem. As the school has 90 days to process these, which should be plenty of time (although not always if they're slack, or if the applicant isn't properly qualified).

Rather, the problem is when someone first enters Thailand, they usually arrive either visa exempt (30 days) or have a tourist visa (60 days, with the option of extending to 90).

They then start looking around for a job, this might take a week, or it might take months for them to find a job.

When they do have a job, they often don't have a lot of time remaining on their existing permission of stay. The school that they're working for, needs to then provide them with their paperwork for a Non Immigrant B visa. It's a while since I've done one, but from memory this not only requires a letter from the school, but also a letter from the local Educational Service Area Office.

Once the applicant has the documents from the school + the Educational Office, they can then go to a consulate abroad to apply for a Non Immigrant B visa. This will then allow them to stay for 3 months (And then apply for a work permit + get an extension to their permission to stay).

What people are referring to, as causing problems, is the initial application for a Non-Immigrant B visa. If after finding a job, someone doesn't have enough time on their current Tourist/Visa Exempt status for the school/Education office to complete their paperwork, then this could be a problem. In the past the applicant would just leave and return on a tourist visa or visa exempt status to give the school a bit more time to complete their paperwork (They'd usually be working during this time, so technically illegal, but it's the standard practice at most schools).

However, if the applicant had previously been "out and in" or on a tourist visa, then they might be denied re-entry to Thailand.

They could of course then have the paperwork mailed/delivered to them at a hotel in Malaysia or Laos (I'm pretty sure originals are required, so documents can't be e-mailed), as if they can successfully apply for a Non-B visa, then they'd be allowed to re-enter. But obviously this is a situation which would cause frustration and considerable hotel expenses, depending on how long the documents take to arrive (If they even arrive at all), not to mention the shame incurred at being denied entry to Thailand (Which is something which you'd then need to state when applying for visas to many other countries abroad, which could be problematic).

With this in mind, I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of people who were teaching, give up on their dream simply due to visa issues (Even if they are legitimately qualified teachers).

Of course, the people who have this happen to them, may share some of the blame themselves for not finding a job quicker, or for previously having a lot of tourist visas or visa exempt stamps, and likewise the school and the Education Office should be doing their paperwork faster. They should, but that's not of much solace to any of the teachers who are sitting in hotels in Penang or Vientiane contemplating their future.

• Like 1

I've taught and been an administrator at the secondary and tertiary level in several other countries. In each case interviews (by video conference call or with someone sent to interview candidates), documentation review, official approval, signatures, immigration submissions and visa approval took several months the first time around. You waited. When everything was finally sorted out, then you submitted your passport for the visa and you were sent air tickets and travel expenses, etc.

If the system becomes more difficult here than in the past, the schools and recruiters will need to adjust and the wages & training for local staff improved rather than relying on teachers whose only qualifications are a detectable pulse, a fair complexion and an absence of better opportunities. Given the appalling results of so many students as reported on TV from time to time, it's hard to imagine what all these supposed good teachers were contributing.

I am guessing, and it's only a guess based on past experiences, a lot of the supposed "good" teachers were affable, well-liked and no more productive than anyone else who pitched up looking for a paid holiday in an "exotic" location.

The problem is that most Thai English teachers CANNOT speak English. I say this with literally more than a decade of working with them. The students in the high school I am currently working in are a product of this incompetence. I have started this year at another govt high school, the kids are nice BUT at first they could not answer basic questions about themselves. I am trying to fix years, and years of VERY poor teaching of my language. The kids know that the Thai teachers are uselss, thats why they come to me and ask me how to say something in English, that they want to translate from Thai. I can actually teach them how to form sentences in a way that DOES NOT MAKE THEM SOUND LIKE A THREE YEAR OLD....

Thailand has the right to ask for well educated teachers but it needs to also sort out its own mess...especially when it comes to Thai English teachers. The only reason that there are Philipinos working here is that even they are better than the Thais. In the ideal world it would be a happy mix of good Thai English teachers and native speakers. This isnt going to happen anytime soon. Ask for me to get a Masters Degree in education?...dont expect me to work for 35,000 - 45,000 per month. I have a degree and I have a TEFL cert. I also have a lot of experience. For this I will put up with the not so hot salaries

I hope that getting rid of some of the long term backpacker type of teachers will equate to better pay and conditions. I am not going to hold my breath.

I hope that getting rid of some of the long term backpacker type of teachers" completely subjective and prejudiced comment. Surprised in comes from someone claiming to be a professional teacher.

I've taught and been an administrator at the secondary and tertiary level in several other countries. In each case interviews (by video conference call or with someone sent to interview candidates), documentation review, official approval, signatures, immigration submissions and visa approval took several months the first time around. You waited. When everything was finally sorted out, then you submitted your passport for the visa and you were sent air tickets and travel expenses, etc.

If the system becomes more difficult here than in the past, the schools and recruiters will need to adjust and the wages & training for local staff improved rather than relying on teachers whose only qualifications are a detectable pulse, a fair complexion and an absence of better opportunities. Given the appalling results of so many students as reported on TV from time to time, it's hard to imagine what all these supposed good teachers were contributing.

I am guessing, and it's only a guess based on past experiences, a lot of the supposed "good" teachers were affable, well-liked and no more productive than anyone else who pitched up looking for a paid holiday in an "exotic" location.

The problem is that most Thai English teachers CANNOT speak English. I say this with literally more than a decade of working with them. The students in the high school I am currently working in are a product of this incompetence. I have started this year at another govt high school, the kids are nice BUT at first they could not answer basic questions about themselves. I am trying to fix years, and years of VERY poor teaching of my language. The kids know that the Thai teachers are uselss, thats why they come to me and ask me how to say something in English, that they want to translate from Thai. I can actually teach them how to form sentences in a way that DOES NOT MAKE THEM SOUND LIKE A THREE YEAR OLD....

Thailand has the right to ask for well educated teachers but it needs to also sort out its own mess...especially when it comes to Thai English teachers. The only reason that there are Philipinos working here is that even they are better than the Thais. In the ideal world it would be a happy mix of good Thai English teachers and native speakers. This isnt going to happen anytime soon. Ask for me to get a Masters Degree in education?...dont expect me to work for 35,000 - 45,000 per month. I have a degree and I have a TEFL cert. I also have a lot of experience. For this I will put up with the not so hot salaries

I hope that getting rid of some of the long term backpacker type of teachers will equate to better pay and conditions. I am not going to hold my breath.

I hope that getting rid of some of the long term backpacker type of teachers" completely subjective and prejudiced comment. Surprised in comes from someone claiming to be a professional teacher.

You know I think that comment is a valid one. They work for 20,000THB per month. Would you want your kid learning from a back packer?

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

"My friend is the head of the English Department of a local government school that uses an agency."

It's like "my friend was on heroine for 20 years ,but he's sober now taking methadone." Does the school really use the agency, or does the agency use the school?

Agencies only deliver white people that even make all the Filipinos look good. Some are "on the run", some had be imprisoned for many many moons.

The only part of the problem that is relevant is that Visa Runs are done, over.

A thinking person would then apply for a real visa as a tourist, giving time to look for a job.

Real employers, language or not, know how to make up the paper justifications for the dept of labor to hire a person, usually one yr with work permit and proper class of visa. Then the person works and worries are over for at least that year. All that is renewable.

A history of visa run stamps will need explanations and maybe pleading, but with calm polite persistence, should result in a real visa. Belligerent arrogance will lead to denials, of course.

Seems all here is just griping that the old easy way is over. Griping about this is like cursing the weather.

If a teacher arrived without a visa, they'd receive 30 days visa-exempt permission to stay. They could then visit a Thai consulate or embassy to obtain a 60-day tourist visa. this visa can be extended for 30 days in-country (double this for a double entry). This is 4 - 7 months before they need to obtain a non-immigrant B visa.

Schools need to start processing paperwork before probation periods end.

I don't see a major problem unless teachers have been holidaying for months before looking for work.

The problem with this is, immigration requires you to have 30 days on your current visa to apply. Not 28, 27 days. So unless you apply immediately when you come in, your screwed. Happened to me..

The junta should consider a program to enable unqualified teachers a path to gaining credentials. Perhaps education loans at foreign student rates while being allowed to continue to work at a reduced rate. I know the hang em high brigade will come out against any idea like this, but it's time to get realistic about the situation. There simply are not enough qualified teachers that will work in Thailand. You cannot demand First world credentials and pay third world salaries and get the quality you are looking for. In this way the government could also assign teachers to work in less desirable locations outside of Bangkok. Everyone wins in a scenario like this. The schools get teachers, the government gets money from loans, and the Universities receive a cash injection.

Thais teaching native speakers how to teach English. There's no need for this idea since Philippine teachers qualify for teaching credentials in Thailand and there are plenty of them willing to work for less than 20K. That's why my hope for salaries to go back up with this crackdown is just a pipe dream.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Edited by mooris6

I don't actually know. I wasn't there. He apparently got a Tourist Visa in Penang, but was told he could not enter. He had one in/out. He has since returned to his home country.

He's a pretty straight forward person, but I don't know if there were any other complications that could have affected it.

I will pursue it with him further. If he wishes to return, we may be able to get him his non-B in his home country.

He got the tourist visa in Penang, but was refused entry on arrival in Bangkok?

I thought people coming in on flights were 'safe' until August 12th?

"My friend is the head of the English Department of a local government school that uses an agency."

It's like "my friend was on heroine for 20 years ,but he's sober now taking methadone." Does the school really use the agency, or does the agency use the school?

Agencies only deliver white people that even make all the Filipinos look good. Some are "on the run", some had be imprisoned for many many moons.

I guess she was really brave for having had your friend on her for 20 years.

...What people are referring to, as causing problems, is the initial application for a Non-Immigrant B visa. If after finding a job, someone doesn't have enough time on their current Tourist/Visa Exempt status for the school/Education office to complete their paperwork, then this could be a problem. In the past the applicant would just leave and return on a tourist visa or visa exempt status to give the school a bit more time to complete their paperwork (They'd usually be working during this time, so technically illegal, but it's the standard practice at most schools).

However, if the applicant had previously been "out and in" or on a tourist visa, then they might be denied re-entry to Thailand. ...

"Persistent abusers of the tourist visa system and the ones who are likely to arouse suspicion of Immigration officials are those who “are using many tourist visas to enter Thailand multiple times”, says Col Banphot.

Legitimate tourists who wish to enter Thailand are advised to show officials hotel bookings or some kind of travel itinerary."

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/743066-scores-of-foreigners-refused-entry-to-thailand-at-malaysian-border/

I'm fairly sure that if a teacher needs a second tourist visa to allow for the time for the local ed office and their school to process paperwork, a letter from the school explaining this, if presented when re-entering the country, would satisfy the immigration officer.

Persistent abusers of the tourist visa system and the ones who are likely to arouse suspicion of Immigration officials are those who “are using many tourist visas to enter Thailand multiple times”, says Col Banphot.[/size]

Legitimate tourists who wish to enter Thailand are advised to show officials hotel bookings or some kind of travel itinerary."

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/743066-scores-of-foreigners-refused-entry-to-thailand-at-malaysian-border/

I'm fairly sure that if a teacher needs a second tourist visa to allow for the time for the local ed office and their school to process paperwork, a letter from the school explaining this, if presented when re-entering the country, would satisfy the immigration officer.

Possibly, depending on the individual's past visa history (e.g.If someone has previously had multiple back to back tourist visas or visa exempt stamps, then they might still have a tough time convincing immigration.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

A very sad situation for the hopes of Thai students gaining education from foreign teacher.

Thing is….they are just missing out on getting taught by an unqualified foreign "teacher" so they aren't really missing much.

• Like 1

Persistent abusers of the tourist visa system and the ones who are likely to arouse suspicion of Immigration officials are those who “are using many tourist visas to enter Thailand multiple times”, says Col Banphot.[/size]

Possibly, depending on the individual's past visa history (e.g.If someone has previously had multiple back to back tourist visas or visa exempt stamps, then they might still have a tough time convincing immigration.

Past history could definitely be a deal breaker. If just 1 or 2 previous tourist visas, I think there shouldn't be a problem. immigration are clear about who they want to prevent entering Thailand: people who have abused the visa system over a sustained period of time.

The junta should consider a program to enable unqualified teachers a path to gaining credentials.... <snip>

Thais teaching native speakers how to teach English. There's no need for this idea since Philippine teachers qualify for teaching credentials in Thailand and there are plenty of them willing to work for less than 20K. That's why my hope for salaries to go back up with this crackdown is just a pipe dream.

With a view to the OP, you'd like the crackdown to result in higher wages, but concede it's probably a pipe dream.

At the beginning of each new school term my local immigration center is full of Philippine teaches all applying for extensions. They are usually cheaper, often cleaner, and definitely more Asian looking than western teachers. They all have degrees as well. Most importantly they love it here.

I agree with you that the crackdown won't lead to higher wages. I see more Philippine teachers in the future. I met one from Cameroon the other day as well.

I don't actually know. I wasn't there. He apparently got a Tourist Visa in Penang, but was told he could not enter. He had one in/out. He has since returned to his home country.

He's a pretty straight forward person, but I don't know if there were any other complications that could have affected it.

I will pursue it with him further. If he wishes to return, we may be able to get him his non-B in his home country.

He got the tourist visa in Penang, but was refused entry on arrival in Bangkok?

I thought people coming in on flights were 'safe' until August 12th?

No, he was refused entry at a land crossing on the Malaysian border. -- That's my understanding. He went with another person and I will try and find out from the other person exactly what had happened. The other person got a non-immigrant B visa and was allowed to return.

• Like 1

Past history could definitely be a deal breaker. If just 1 or 2 previous tourist visas, I think there shouldn't be a problem. immigration are clear about who they want to prevent entering Thailand: people who have abused the visa system over a sustained period of time.

"If just 1 or 2 previous tourist visas, I think there shouldn't be a problem. immigration are clear about who they want to prevent entering Thailand: people who have abused the visa system over a sustained period of time." - I don't think they are clear at all....especially about HOW they will identify these people and how they are training their operatives on the myriad customs/immigration posts around the country.

I am starting to grow concerned about my situation. Studied at uni for 3 year on ED extensions, but will soon have to go on tourist visa until i get a job. I will have to leave the country when my study ends in a couple of months, so we will see how it goes. I suppose it depends on how fast I can get a job and everything "legal" for the visa and work permit etc etc..

By the way, when we finish our studies at uni on an ED extension, do you have to leave the country by midnight like workers do?

Let me get this straight. If a prospective teacher gets the paperwork for the 90-day non-B from her agency/school, doesn't that give them 90 days before the work permit paperwork is needed? Shouldn't the last 30 days of that 90-days be enough time to process the work permit papers and the first 60 days would suffice as a probationary period for the school/agency?

Have I missed something?

It's not the work permit + extension which is usually the problem. As the school has 90 days to process these, which should be plenty of time (although not always if they're slack, or if the applicant isn't properly qualified).

Rather, the problem is when someone first enters Thailand, they usually arrive either visa exempt (30 days) or have a tourist visa (60 days, with the option of extending to 90).

They then start looking around for a job, this might take a week, or it might take months for them to find a job.

When they do have a job, they often don't have a lot of time remaining on their existing permission of stay. The school that they're working for, needs to then provide them with their paperwork for a Non Immigrant B visa. It's a while since I've done one, but from memory this not only requires a letter from the school, but also a letter from the local Educational Service Area Office.

Once the applicant has the documents from the school + the Educational Office, they can then go to a consulate abroad to apply for a Non Immigrant B visa. This will then allow them to stay for 3 months (And then apply for a work permit + get an extension to their permission to stay).

What people are referring to, as causing problems, is the initial application for a Non-Immigrant B visa. If after finding a job, someone doesn't have enough time on their current Tourist/Visa Exempt status for the school/Education office to complete their paperwork, then this could be a problem. In the past the applicant would just leave and return on a tourist visa or visa exempt status to give the school a bit more time to complete their paperwork (They'd usually be working during this time, so technically illegal, but it's the standard practice at most schools).

However, if the applicant had previously been "out and in" or on a tourist visa, then they might be denied re-entry to Thailand.

They could of course then have the paperwork mailed/delivered to them at a hotel in Malaysia or Laos (I'm pretty sure originals are required, so documents can't be e-mailed), as if they can successfully apply for a Non-B visa, then they'd be allowed to re-enter. But obviously this is a situation which would cause frustration and considerable hotel expenses, depending on how long the documents take to arrive (If they even arrive at all), not to mention the shame incurred at being denied entry to Thailand (Which is something which you'd then need to state when applying for visas to many other countries abroad, which could be problematic).

With this in mind, I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of people who were teaching, give up on their dream simply due to visa issues (Even if they are legitimately qualified teachers).

Of course, the people who have this happen to them, may share some of the blame themselves for not finding a job quicker, or for previously having a lot of tourist visas or visa exempt stamps, and likewise the school and the Education Office should be doing their paperwork faster. They should, but that's not of much solace to any of the teachers who are sitting in hotels in Penang or Vientiane contemplating their future.

Technicall illegaly = exactly the same as working illegaly ;)

"If just 1 or 2 previous tourist visas, I think there shouldn't be a problem. immigration are clear about who they want to prevent entering Thailand: people who have abused the visa system over a sustained period of time." - I don't think they are clear at all....especially about HOW they will identify these people and how they are training their operatives on the myriad customs/immigration posts around the country.

They will count the number of previous consecutive tourist visas/visa exemptions. Isn't that obvious? because it will be to the immigration officer.

The junta should consider a program to enable unqualified teachers a path to gaining credentials.... <snip>

With a view to the OP, you'd like the crackdown to result in higher wages, but concede it's probably a pipe dream.

At the beginning of each new school term my local immigration center is full of Philippine teaches all applying for extensions. They are usually cheaper, often cleaner, and definitely more Asian looking than western teachers. They all have degrees as well. Most importantly they love it here.

I agree with you that the crackdown won't lead to higher wages. I see more Philippine teachers in the future. I met one from Cameroon the other day as well.

Are these Filipino teachers willing to work for Thai wages? IIRC, under ASEAN agreements coming next year, wages for Filipinos teachers in Thailand must match those of a Thai teacher. I can't imagine a Filipino wanting to work for such a salary unless there are good benefits that come with it.

Are these Filipino teachers willing to work for Thai wages? IIRC, under ASEAN agreements coming next year, wages for Filipinos teachers in Thailand must match those of a Thai teacher. I can't imagine a Filipino wanting to work for such a salary unless there are good benefits that come with it.

They are very happy to work for Thai wages. The Philippines is an absolutely horrible place to live.

That's not what I say, that's what they say. They absolutely love living and working here on Thai wages.