Effects of new Out/in visa regulations on teachers

wayned

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is what is behind this whole crackdown on Visa Runs. To prevent people from working in Thailand without a Work Permit. So I hope the Effect is great.

This is a 2 edged sword! With no Work Permit you have zero rights! The Demand is there so as long as there is a Supply who will work in the Black Way nothing will ever change.

If these Visa Rules continue to be enforced this Supply should dry up forcing them to do things legally. Which means legal work permits and the wages, paid vacation, and the small benefits and rights that go with that.

Thais teaching native speakers how to teach English. There's no need for this idea since Philippine teachers qualify for teaching credentials in Thailand and there are plenty of them willing to work for less than 20K. That's why my hope for salaries to go back up with this crackdown is just a pipe dream.

With a view to the OP, you'd like the crackdown to result in higher wages, but concede it's probably a pipe dream.

At the beginning of each new school term my local immigration center is full of Philippine teaches all applying for extensions. They are usually cheaper, often cleaner, and definitely more Asian looking than western teachers. They all have degrees as well. Most importantly they love it here.

I agree with you that the crackdown won't lead to higher wages. I see more Philippine teachers in the future. I met one from Cameroon the other day as well.

Are these Filipino teachers willing to work for Thai wages? IIRC, under ASEAN agreements coming next year, wages for Filipinos teachers in Thailand must match those of a Thai teacher. I can't imagine a Filipino wanting to work for such a salary unless there are good benefits that come with it.

They are very happy to work for Thai wages. The Philippines is an absolutely horrible place to live.

That's not what I say, that's what they say. They absolutely love living and working here on Thai wages.

Have to agree. With this crackdown on out/in visas coming so close to the AEC next year, it's almost like it's part of the plan as opposed to coincidence. If it's true that citizens of ASEAN member countries can move freely within the region, a flood of Filipinos will be coming to Thailand to work as English teachers. The Filipinos that I've met in the education field are typically well qualified and extremely motivated. Thailand will benefit.

So there won't be a shortage of English teachers in Thailand. If anything, I see a surplus for many years to come. Unless the PI economy magically improves tenfold.

The junta should consider a program to enable unqualified teachers a path to gaining credentials. Perhaps education loans at foreign student rates while being allowed to continue to work at a reduced rate. I know the hang em high brigade will come out against any idea like this, but it's time to get realistic about the situation. There simply are not enough qualified teachers that will work in Thailand. You cannot demand First world credentials and pay third world salaries and get the quality you are looking for. In this way the government could also assign teachers to work in less desirable locations outside of Bangkok. Everyone wins in a scenario like this. The schools get teachers, the government gets money from loans, and the Universities receive a cash injection.

Thais teaching native speakers how to teach English. There's no need for this idea since Philippine teachers qualify for teaching credentials in Thailand and there are plenty of them willing to work for less than 20K. That's why my hope for salaries to go back up with this crackdown is just a pipe dream.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Talking with a friend who is from Romania... even she said that in Romania they hire Filipinos to change nappies and would never dream of asking them to teach English, and if her English is proof of that policy, then it has worked very well.

Apologies to the few Filipinos who are quite good.

If a teacher arrived without a visa, they'd receive 30 days visa-exempt permission to stay. They could then visit a Thai consulate or embassy to obtain a 60-day tourist visa. this visa can be extended for 30 days in-country (double this for a double entry). This is 4 - 7 months before they need to obtain a non-immigrant B visa.

Schools need to start processing paperwork before probation periods end.

I don't see a major problem unless teachers have been holidaying for months before looking for work.

Working while in a tourist visa is expressly prohibited. Teaching is a respected occupation in Thailand and teachers shouldn't disabuse their students of this notion by openly flouting the law.

If a teacher arrived without a visa, they'd receive 30 days visa-exempt permission to stay. They could then visit a Thai consulate or embassy to obtain a 60-day tourist visa. this visa can be extended for 30 days in-country (double this for a double entry). This is 4 - 7 months before they need to obtain a non-immigrant B visa.

Schools need to start processing paperwork before probation periods end.

I don't see a major problem unless teachers have been holidaying for months before looking for work.

Working while in a tourist visa is expressly prohibited. Teaching is a respected occupation in Thailand and teachers shouldn't disabuse their students of this notion by openly flouting the law.

Do you actually know WHAT is required in Thailand to legally teach English conversation (TEFL)?

Sent from my XT1032 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

With only about 375 million native English speakers in the world and around 7 billion people wanting to learn English, just how does Thailand think it will attract the native English teachers with degrees, TEFL qualifications, the right age, colour, etc....

The easy way would be to open up the door to anyone who could pass a standards test, possibly commission the British Council to set up a test that the applicant pays for and will be comprehensive enough to sort out the good from the bad.

Another way would be to double or treble the salaries on offer.

Your numbers are off...just Great Britain and the US alone and your at 400 million; then you add in the Canadians, Aussies, Kiwis, and you can add in another 50 million or so.

Have to agree. With this crackdown on out/in visas coming so close to the AEC next year, it's almost like it's part of the plan as opposed to coincidence. If it's true that citizens of ASEAN member countries can move freely within the region, a flood of Filipinos will be coming to Thailand to work as English teachers. The Filipinos that I've met in the education field are typically well qualified and extremely motivated. Thailand will benefit.

So there won't be a shortage of English teachers in Thailand. If anything, I see a surplus for many years to come. Unless the PI economy magically improves tenfold.

It isn't true.

It isn't true.

Very true. Some people are equating the free movement of labour provisions of the AEC to its counterpart in the EU, however they're completely different. Yes, there is language in the various AEC treaties and agreements calling for it but the devil is in the details. Individual countries will still be able to have their own testing and licensing schemes for all classes of labour and I believe free movement of unskilled labour is expressly prohibited. So there will be no large increase of legal Filipino teachers in Thailand anytime soon.

The junta should consider a program to enable unqualified teachers a path to gaining credentials. Perhaps education loans at foreign student rates while being allowed to continue to work at a reduced rate. I know the hang em high brigade will come out against any idea like this, but it's time to get realistic about the situation. There simply are not enough qualified teachers that will work in Thailand. You cannot demand First world credentials and pay third world salaries and get the quality you are looking for. In this way the government could also assign teachers to work in less desirable locations outside of Bangkok. Everyone wins in a scenario like this. The schools get teachers, the government gets money from loans, and the Universities receive a cash injection.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Talking with a friend who is from Romania... even she said that in Romania they hire Filipinos to change nappies and would never dream of asking them to teach English, and if her English is proof of that policy, then it has worked very well.

Apologies to the few Filipinos who are quite good.

Filipinos speak a lot better English than they do in Romania.

The junta should consider a program to enable unqualified teachers a path to gaining credentials.... <snip>

With a view to the OP, you'd like the crackdown to result in higher wages, but concede it's probably a pipe dream.

At the beginning of each new school term my local immigration center is full of Philippine teaches all applying for extensions. They are usually cheaper, often cleaner, and definitely more Asian looking than western teachers. They all have degrees as well. Most importantly they love it here.

I agree with you that the crackdown won't lead to higher wages. I see more Philippine teachers in the future. I met one from Cameroon the other day as well.

Are these Filipino teachers willing to work for Thai wages? IIRC, under ASEAN agreements coming next year, wages for Filipinos teachers in Thailand must match those of a Thai teacher. I can't imagine a Filipino wanting to work for such a salary unless there are good benefits that come with it.

They are very happy to work for Thai wages. The Philippines is an absolutely horrible place to live.

That's not what I say, that's what they say. They absolutely love living and working here on Thai wages.

They would come here for the better quality of the rice, let alone the higher wages. At least that what Greg's Filipino servers at Sunrise have told me. In any case, there won't be any surge of workers from AEC countries to Thailand next year because the labour movement provisions are in word only and the actual implementing regulations effectively bar it.

• Like 1

They would come here for the better quality of the rice, let alone the higher wages.

At least that what Greg's Filipino servers at Sunrise have told me.

In any case, there won't be any surge of workers from AEC countries to Thailand next year because the labour movement provisions are in word only and the actual implementing regulations effectively bar it.

They are here. I agree, probably not for the rice. Although, Thai rice isn't that bad is it?

Quite a few farang expats with Pinay wives are living together in Thailand. The farangs flatly refuse to live in the Philippines because they say it's absolutely horrible.

The Filipino teachers are here. Every new term the immigration offices are full of them. The school my kids go to employs them exclusively.

You are spot on about the AEC bringing no tsunami of foreign workers anytime soon.

This is what is behind this whole crackdown on Visa Runs. To prevent people from working in Thailand without a Work Permit. So I hope the Effect is great.

This is a 2 edged sword! With no Work Permit you have zero rights! The Demand is there so as long as there is a Supply who will work in the Black Way nothing will ever change.

If these Visa Rules continue to be enforced this Supply should dry up forcing them to do things legally. Which means legal work permits and the wages, paid vacation, and the small benefits and rights that go with that.

"Paid vacation"?!? I'm all for it! Alas, I was suckered into coming to a school. The promised 12 months' contract was renegged on later. Now it's shorter and no paid hols.

Moreover, how come that there are "teachers" with a TOEIC score of less than 550? The minimum score is 600, isn't it?

Wish the crackdown would be universal and affect all aspects of our profession.

Personally, I've stayed here on T Visas for years. The began teaching. Got some B-Visas, WPs and there were times when I was back on T-Visas. Got "show proof of financial support" stamped in red onto my last T-Visa. Not sure what that means and what they are looking for? 400 k in the bank? Monthly payments from overseas?

Anyhow, if they really want to uproot illegal teachers, they need to focus on degrees and the ability to do the job.

They would come here for the better quality of the rice, let alone the higher wages.

At least that what Greg's Filipino servers at Sunrise have told me.

In any case, there won't be any surge of workers from AEC countries to Thailand next year because the labour movement provisions are in word only and the actual implementing regulations effectively bar it.

They are here. I agree, probably not for the rice. Although, Thai rice isn't that bad is it?

Quite a few farang expats with Pinay wives are living together in Thailand. The farangs flatly refuse to live in the Philippines because they say it's absolutely horrible.

The Filipino teachers are here. Every new term the immigration offices are full of them. The school my kids go to employs them exclusively.

You are spot on about the AEC bringing no tsunami of foreign workers anytime soon.

Agree there are lots of Pinays already working in Thailand, some legally, but most illegally or informally I imagine. (In fact, over the past year so so, there's been a notice influx of Pinay ladyboy sex workers in both Bangkok and Pattaya, which adds some variety to the mix.) I'd be pretty leery having my kids taught English by a Pinoy as they do have a very pronounced accent...but they do come cheap.

Yeah, the AEC labor provisions are nothing like those in the EU, where there is basically complete mobility of labor within the bloc; with AEC, it's effectively prohibited no matter what they say.

It isn't true.

Very true. Some people are equating the free movement of labour provisions of the AEC to its counterpart in the EU, however they're completely different. Yes, there is language in the various AEC treaties and agreements calling for it but the devil is in the details. Individual countries will still be able to have their own testing and licensing schemes for all classes of labour and I believe free movement of unskilled labour is expressly prohibited. So there will be no large increase of legal Filipino teachers in Thailand anytime soon.

Agree that there isn't going to be an absolute freedom of movement within the region. That would be catastrophic as hordes of unskilled labor would be flooding in from Cambodia, Myanmar, Laos, Vietnam, PI, etc., to higher paying economies like Singapore and Thailand.

But for the skilled labor segment, i.e., those warranting work permits and such, I would imagine there would be more flexibility and simplicity for those citizens in member countries to move about. That's really the whole intent of the AEC. But the devil's in the details so we shall see how this is actually implemented, not just in Thailand, but other ASEAN countries as well.

It isn't true.

Agree that there isn't going to be an absolute freedom of movement within the region. That would be catastrophic as hordes of unskilled labor would be flooding in from Cambodia, Myanmar, Laos, Vietnam, PI, etc., to higher paying economies like Singapore and Thailand.

But for the skilled labor segment, i.e., those warranting work permits and such, I would imagine there would be more flexibility and simplicity for those citizens in member countries to move about. That's really the whole intent of the AEC. But the devil's in the details so we shall see how this is actually implemented, not just in Thailand, but other ASEAN countries as well.

Probably just the opposite...at least for Thailand as they need the unskilled labour more than skilleda d the unskilled have little political political power to protect their turf while he skilled people, like lawyers, accountants, architects, engineers, teachers, nurses and doctors, etc. have powerful lobbies and professional associations to keep out the foreign labor competition.

To take just one example of which I'm most familiar: Say a Filipino nurse wanted to work in Thailand. They would have to pass the same licensing and practical tests taken by Thai nurses, IN THAI. That is even assuming that they can work out standards as to the equilivency of various nursing degrees between the two countries and the academic standards for the degrees. I imagine it's the same for all the other professions I listed so unlikely to be much labor movement anytime soon between any of the AEC countries. If the AEC ever got around to harmonizing these standards and maybe settled on English as the second official language for testing and such then labor might start to become more mobile, but that day is a long way in he future.

• Like 1

Most of the Filipinos earn more than the Thai teachers, IIRC

As they should. They speak good English and have degrees.

Some speak good English with little accent while many speak OK English with a very strong accent. And worth noting that up until very recently the university starting age in the Philippines was 16, 2yrs earlier than most other countries so they have 2yrs less education than someone that has a degree from the UK, America, Australia, Canada etc and surely the degree isn't to the same standard if 16yr olds are studying for it!

• Like 2

Some speak good English with little accent while many speak OK English with a very strong accent. And worth noting that up until very recently the university starting age in the Philippines was 16, 2yrs earlier than most other countries so they have 2yrs less education than someone that has a degree from the UK, America, Australia, Canada etc and surely the degree isn't to the same standard if 16yr olds are studying for it!

" ...surely the degree isn't to the same standard if 16yr olds are studying for it!"

Surely not. The piece of paper they have is definitely no guarantee of anything. I wouldn't dare to compare a degree from a university in the Philippines to a degree from the UK, America, Australia, Canada etc.

However, at least it's a degree and in most cases better than nothing.

I wasn't aware that in the Philippines the kids could start university at age 16. Thanks for that.

" ...surely the degree isn't to the same standard if 16yr olds are studying for it!"

Surely not. The piece of paper they have is definitely no guarantee of anything. I wouldn't dare to compare a degree from a university in the Philippines to a degree from the UK, America, Australia, Canada etc.

However, at least it's a degree and in most cases better than nothing.

I wasn't aware that in the Philippines the kids could start university at age 16. Thanks for that.

I think it changed to 18 last year so all Filipinos currently working in Thailand would have studied at university from 16-19/20 instead of the usual 18-21/22. Those extra 2yrs make a big difference!

The salary and benefits, by the way, are on par with most other schools.

Kind of reminds me of the phrase 'competitive salary'. And we all know what that means.

If the system becomes more difficult here than in the past, the schools and recruiters will need to adjust and the wages & training for local staff improved rather than relying on teachers whose only qualifications are a detectable pulse, a fair complexion and an absence of better opportunities. Given the appalling results of so many students as reported on TV from time to time, it's hard to imagine what all these supposed good teachers were contributing.

I am guessing, and it's only a guess based on past experiences, a lot of the supposed "good" teachers were affable, well-liked and no more productive than anyone else who pitched up looking for a paid holiday in an "exotic" location.

Still blaming westerners for all Thailand's ills' I see.

From what I remember, the 'appalling results' shown by Thai students were ones where the students had Thai teachers teaching them English.

• Like 2

Thai students in Thailand start their degree (at Technical Colleges) at 16 too.

It's a longer, more hands on program, than the average 4 yr degree started at 18.

No they don't, they can do a pre-degree course at a vocational or commercial school at 16 but the actual degree doesn't start until at university at 18+yrs of age and is normal length. This is different to the Philippines where students would graduate high school at 16 and then start their university degree the same year.

That certainly seems a reasonable idea to me although not based on any first hand knowledge.

I'm on firmer ground with this comment though.

In this way the government could also assign teachers to work in less desirable locations outside of Bangkok.

What makes you think the less desirable areas are outside of Bangkok? Some might be in it.

That certainly seems a reasonable idea to me although not based on any first hand knowledge.

In this way the government could also assign teachers to work in less desirable locations outside of Bangkok.

What makes you think the less desirable areas are outside of Bangkok? Some might be in it.

The less desirable locations are outside of Bangkok because I've tried my hand at recruiting. Bangkok is by far the most desirable. It's much harder placing teachers outside of Bangkok unless they've been here for a year minimum and enjoy the culture but not the overwhelming pace of life in Bangkok. I like smaller provinces myself but I'm rooted in BKK. Point is if they adopted a scheme like this, or one like it, the government could assign foreign teachers to posts the same as they do for domestic teachers. Effectively the foreigner would be working for the government for a contracted period. They could potentially get good, experienced teachers into rural areas that need teachers. No KFC tough life.

• Like 1

Especially when many of them study in their mother tongue, but then become English teachers with a degree written in English.

In an ideal world maybe. Thing is, it's time to get real. Asean have pretty much agreed on the same regs when it comes to foreign teachers, so unless Thailand quits Asean, it's not gonna happen. Pinoy teachers are already here. More will follow. The parents will be up in arms at first, but it will soon become the norm. I can't see schools reducing their course fees, but they'll have more money left over by employing Pinoys at half the rate. There will be some foreign teachers left (Inter schools or those with B.Eds) but not many. Will supply/demand take over and increase their pay? Personally, I hope that's the case (good luck to 'em etc), but T.I.T.

• Like 1

The less desirable locations are outside of Bangkok because I've tried my hand at recruiting. Bangkok is by far the most desirable. It's much harder placing teachers outside of Bangkok unless they've been here for a year minimum and enjoy the culture but not the overwhelming pace of life in Bangkok. I like smaller provinces myself but I'm rooted in BKK. Point is if they adopted a scheme like this, or one like it, the government could assign foreign teachers to posts the same as they do for domestic teachers. Effectively the foreigner would be working for the government for a contracted period. They could potentially get good, experienced teachers into rural areas that need teachers. No KFC tough life.

Point taken. It was more a dig at the idea that Bangkok is better. I would assume that places like Pattaya and Phuket are OK as, like Bangkok they are more foreigner friendly.

We do have KFC in Isaan though so there's hope for us yet. smile.png

Edited by kimamey

The main issue with schools hiring more Fillipinos will be selling it to the parents. I have taught in Bangkok for 8 years, in a school which has a staff of around 50 Fillipinos and 15 native speakers. It is no secret that the school would much prefer the staff to be entirely Fillipino, who work for half the salary of a native speaker. However, we are still there because the parents seem to feel that being taught by a native speaker with the correct accent is what they want for their kids. In the past we have even had parents complain because their child comes home speaking with a Fillipino accent. I'm not taking anything away from the Fillipino teachers. They are almost without exception hard working, dedicated teachers who are fully qualifed with many years of experience. Unfortunately this is not taken into account by the parents when they look at who is teaching their children. Until this attitude changes, there will be a place for a native english speaking teachers.

The foriegn teachers on the other hand are almost without exception not qualified teachers! This is not to say they are poor teachers. In my experience those who should not be teaching rarely last longer than a couple of years. The teachers who have stayed for more than five years are mostly dedicated, competent teachers. They may not have correct qualifications, but we regulary discuss teaching methods and improve our teaching techniques. Experience counts for a lot. As with any profession, you do not come out of school ready to go, but learn and improve through practice. The teachers earn the salary they are paid. They do not teach technical subjects, they teach English speaking, reading, listening and writing, which they are more than capaable of doing! If they were properly qualified they would not be working at this school, but would have moved up to higher paying, international gig.

It seems something has to change, unless Thailand will loose many capable teachers. I like the idea of a government sponsered program, but hey who cares what we think. I think for lower end schools work permits could be issued on reccomendation from the employer also.

• Like 1