Effects of new Out/in visa regulations on teachers

wayned

two observations about many of those "experts" who criticise TEFL teachers.

first they know nothing about TEFL and its methods

Secondly if you stoo=d them in front of a class they wouldn't have a clue what to do..........they couldn't teach anything to anyone.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you employ Phillipinos then it isn't TEFL and you have chosen another way to teach English....the same way many UK citizens were taught French. It was taught in just about every school, yet see how many Brits can utter a single sentence in French.

There's probably one or two sat right next to you in the bar now....just do a straw poll and test them.

Edited by wilcopops

In an ideal world maybe. Thing is, it's time to get real. Asean have pretty much agreed on the same regs when it comes to foreign teachers, so unless Thailand quits Asean, it's not gonna happen.

Sadly true.

There should differences for English EFL teachers teaching speaking and listening, and subject teachers (dare I say proper teachers, in a non derogatory tone) that teach biology, math, chemistry etc. at bilingual and EP schools.

For a native English speaker to be employed as a speaking and listening teacher, they should only need a TEFL cert and a police background check. Perhaps the government could set up its own TEFL course, after which a native speaker that passes it gets a special license (and WP) to teach speaking and listening whether they have a degree or not.

This would benefit everybody.

There are several TEFL/TESOL qualifications that are recognised worldwide.....all they need to do is insist that teachers have one of these rather than some internet or back street parody.

Based on their previous efforts in the field of international education, the very idea that Thailand could devise a satisfactory TEFL course is frankly quite risible.

Edited by wilcopops

In Thailand it is probably better to have people take the TEFL locally. In most schools, there is the Thai way and the wrong way. I have seen so many good teachers just throw up their hands and leave because they simply can't do some of things required of them here.

• Like 1

two observations about many of those "experts" who criticise TEFL teachers.

first they know nothing about TEFL and its methods

Secondly if you stoo=d them in front of a class they wouldn't have a clue what to do..........they couldn't teach anything to anyone.

In addition, they have yet to encounter certain classes. While the kids are usually lovely as individuals, truth be told, few are motivated to learn English.

While supervising an exam this week, a M6/11 student approached me. Would I speak with him? Sure. Gave him my Facebook name and told hime we could do it any time it's convenient, but should do it most days to have an impact. Maybe via Skype?

Wonna bet what the outcome will be?

Many students play with their phones all day long. they are mentally absent. And just don't care for English.

OTOH, there are good and eager classes. With a certain percentage of students who cannot read and repeat the most basic phrases like "my name is Pom" and "I come to school by bus".

Maybe it's partially the teachers' fault. but then not just the foreign teachers'! But to get the whole picture, one needs to look at the whole class one has to teach.