Faulty transformer sparks Phuket fire

webfact

Faulty transformer sparks Phuket fire
Darawan Naknakhon

1405390842_1-org.jpg

PHUKET: -- A power transformer in Kathu at the Getho juntion, near Irrawaddy Village, caught fire last night (July 14) at 9.10 pm.

The fire travelled along cables, threatening one home and the entrance sign for Irrawaddy Village. Before it could affect either, however, firemen arrived and quickly put out the flames. No one was hurt.

Power supplies to the area were unaffected, though electricity, internet and cable TV cables were damaged. They will be replaced today.

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/faulty-transformer-sparks-phuket-fire-47348.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2014-07-15

Phuket does seem to be the "hub" of transformer fires.

Because there is no load planning. Everyone just hooks up to the transformer supply, more building,bigger buiding = overload.

You'd think that the would be designed to trip out when overloaded?

Phuket does seem to be the "hub" of transformer fires.

Going back a few years to when I lived in Phuket it was not uncommon to hear a massive bang followed by complete darkness. Fair play to the electric board though, power normally used to be restored within an hour or so, they must have had a stockpile of spare transformers at the ready somewhere.

• Like 1

Had it some weeks ago in front of the condo block where I live in, in Patong. Loud bang, wires dropping to the floor and people running around like headless chicken. No one got hurt. Surprisingly, the orange truck came quick and after an hour or so, lights were on again. Overload I will exclude in this case, as it was an early Saturday morning in super low season. Many times it's just poor to no maintenance.