rant on 'real estate tourists'

My house has been on the market for a while now and I am advertising on a few free ads as well as with a few agents and I have noticed that there are a large segment of the 'buyers' that simply use the agents to get a free tour of the city/country with no real intent to buy and waste my time as well as the agent's. I partially blame the unprofessional agents that allow themselves to be fooled by these insincere, rude fake 'buyers' that invade my privacy in the pretense of looking for real estate for a free tour when they get bored looking at elephant camps, wats, trekking and other activities and decide that it's much more fun to be driven around and invade other people's privacy.

End of rant......................

• Like 1

A few factfinding questions to the customer from the agent or you if a private buyer is all thats needed to know how to proceed. Heres an example of how people will act. When I worked in samui,we had customers come in with their 3 kids and suitcases asking to see properties. Obvious they were going home that day. Checkout 12 midday, flight 7 pm. wanted to kill a few hours and knew that the agent would drop them at the airport hence saving THB 500 for a taxi from Chaweng. I just said was busy, give them a magazine and take their email then ask them to leave. Many DEMAND to see a property now when its not convenient for vendor or agent and I know most agents will dance around and do everything to get a viewing. Ask, have a look tomorrow and if the answer is am going home etc, obvious they are not in a position to buy now so can view on their next visit.

• Like 1

Many such critters around. When I lived in small town in Oklahome a favorite Sunday afternoon amusement was visiting one or several of the open for-sale houses, just for something to do. Sometimes got a good idea from the layout or decorations at the house.

haha good rant mate - I am sure there are a few people that do this.

On the other hand, let's see fly to TH, seen the beach, zoos, waterparks, gardens and temples... got some spare time. call an agent and let's go check out how people really live here - do they clean behind the couch and all that.

• Like 1

I see the problem as the total lack of professionalism with the RE industry and lack of training and requirements to sell real estate. I [or anyone] can call themselves a RE agent here where there are no RE courses, certification, escrow or any other requirements to be a RE agent and make 3% for simply being in the middle of a deal, something a tuktuk driver can [and does] do.............no separate representation of the buyer or the seller.............just a middle man . I've sold property here myself, using my Thai wife's name to close the deal and gave her the commission for fun money.

A little training would probably go a long way for the agents to actually screen the prospective buyers to see if they are sincere and qualified to buy or are simply 'time wasters', but it's not Thai style to do things the simple, ethical and practical way...............just throw your hook in the water and hope a fish will bite it even if there is no bait on the hook.

One agent that has brought a lot of 'lookeyloos' by simply doesn't listen to me and probably doesn't listen to the clients as well, as I've instructed hi to make sure that the client is informed properly but.............. TIT!!

Once they see your property is on an abandoned moobaan project, I can't imagine any force on this earth would persuade them to buy.

This a big problem for early builders on those first plots.

All the utils will be going to hell, roads cracked and overgrown, water and electricity unreliable.

I've lived in a similar house, 1 of 5 built on a moobaan planned for 200.

Am I wrong, have they built on more than 3 plots where you live?

Edited by AnotherOneAmerican

Once they see your property is on an abandoned moobaan project, I can't imagine any force on this earth would persuade them to buy.

This a big problem for early builders on those first plots.

All the utils will be going to hell, roads cracked and overgrown, water and electricity unreliable.

I've lived in a similar house, 1 of 5 built on a moobaan planned for 200.

Am I wrong, have they built on more than 3 plots where you live?

Yeah, it is an abandoned moobaan and that is the reason that I bought it in the first place, as I had lived in a few 'successful' moobaans with still crumbling infrastructure, no or little maintenance and lots of crime.

There were almost daily robberies even with a 3 meter wall around it and 5 guards to keep you in [or them out?] and our small community here in this moobaan has true community spirit with neighbors looking out for each other and [knock on wood] we haven't had a break in or intrusion in 10 years.

The few neighbors we have are respectful of each other's space and privacy, but not close enough to hear their toilet flush or their TV on. Some people like that kind of lifestyle, some want to be surrounded by people for the illusion of security, but at the sacrifice of their privacy.

Water is clean reliable well water, electricity is as good as you can expect here even in more crowded developments and we do get the occasional outage that is usually repaired in a half hr of calling the office. Internet is as fast as most, but slowed a bit by the filtering of the military for now.

You are wrong as there are 10 households in our moobaan that are inhabited with good reliable neighbors.

You seem like you know me and where I am, but don't know the details of our little community that is a one of a kind peaceful location that has served us well for 10 years and will be impossible to find a similar setting without driving an hour or more from the city............do you know me?? PM if you do...............

i have been renting a couple of times and found it incredible how difficult it is to find a agent who actually understand anything, or even tries to.

Most just want to take me to a drive to see lots of available options even if they did not meet my requiements.

That said, im sure, someone, beeing on holiday here get caught in their holiday move and decide to check out available options, in case they should decide to move here later, which 99% properly not do, for one reason or another.

You seem like you know me and where I am, but don't know the details of our little community that is a one of a kind peaceful location that has served us well for 10 years and will be impossible to find a similar setting without driving an hour or more from the city............do you know me?? PM if you do...............

I don't know you but,

I was looking for a house last year, did a drive through of your moobaan.

Spotted your house from photos you put on TV previously.

Didn't notice 10 houses, or if I did may have mis-remembered, viewed lots of semi-abandoned places.

Yours was between Bosang and Doi Saket.

Saw others in a similar state near BigC extra beyond Hang Dong, at least 4 failed projects out there.

Loads of abandoned houses around Bosang, but usually non-estate.

Everyone was asking ridiculous prices.

Quite frankly surprised how many there were.

These places have been like this for 15 years already, top of the market now, building cutting back.

Can't imagine them getting better for at least another 15 years.

Suspect they will become even more run down.

Anyway, good luck with selling yours.

Imagine many of your real estate tourists thinking the same as me.

Unlike me they arranged viewings and went ahead without enthusiasm.

I had no viewing booked, and just kept driving.

I did buy a house in the end 1.8M, on a new moobaan near MaeJo.

Now the Junta have taken over, I'm sort of regretting the purchase.

Losing interest in staying in Thailand the way things are going.

Suspect everyone else is too.

Sorry, long meandering sort of rant.

But good luck again with your sale.

If your property is sensibly priced and advertised correctly then it will sell in a few weeks after a modest number of viewings and so you wont have a problem with endless streams of time-wasters.

If your property gets viewings and does not sell in a few weeks then it is overpriced for what it is and you should act accordingly (drop the price or add value).

Dont blame others because they want a cheap laugh look at this property that has been on the market for years at an asking price double what it is worth.

The high dollar tours are in Udon Thani. I cannot believe what people pay for houses there. Some are double of what they pay in more popular areas.

I seen some better houses in Chiang Mai for half the price.

If you do not believe me...the tour bus is taking reservations. It is all a bit funny.

I am trying to sell/rent a house I own in a good moo-bann with all the houses occupied (28 dwellings). Initially I just put a sign up on the gate and have had a couple of viewings. However, I am plagued with agents cold calling wanting to list my property and I am happy that they do so, until they inform me that they want 5% commission!

We normally end the conversation at that point. I just will not pay such an outrageous sum. In the UK I can engage an agent for 1 to 2 percent on a multiple agency deal. Less if I give sole agency. I think my max would be 3% here. Why are they all so greedy?

Is there a simple reason?

My house is on the dark side of Pattaya near Mabrachan Lake. I would appreciate any advice from forum members on the best way to proceed. I am not desperate to sell or rent, but the house is unoccupied and I really would like to see it used.

Thanks to all for any constructive comments.

I am trying to sell/rent a house I own in a good moo-bann with all the houses occupied (28 dwellings). Initially I just put a sign up on the gate and have had a couple of viewings. However, I am plagued with agents cold calling wanting to list my property and I am happy that they do so, until they inform me that they want 5% commission!

We normally end the conversation at that point. I just will not pay such an outrageous sum. In the UK I can engage an agent for 1 to 2 percent on a multiple agency deal. Less if I give sole agency. I think my max would be 3% here. Why are they all so greedy?

Is there a simple reason?

My house is on the dark side of Pattaya near Mabrachan Lake. I would appreciate any advice from forum members on the best way to proceed. I am not desperate to sell or rent, but the house is unoccupied and I really would like to see it used.

Thanks to all for any constructive comments.

So agents should sell the house for free.

FYI in pats standard rates are 5 to 10 percent depending on project, new or resale.

Bangkok is 3.

Sent from my LG-P970 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app