Scores of foreigners refused entry to Thailand at Malaysian border

Scores of foreigners refused entry to Thailand at Malaysian border

tourist+visa+stock+photo.jpg

SONGKHLA:-- More than 100 foreign nationals per month are being refused entry to Thailand despite having valid tourist visas, according to a senior Immigration official at the Sadao border checkpoint.

Following Thaivisa.com’s breaking news story regarding the crackdown on the misuse of tourist visas, deputy superintendent Lt. Col Banphot Kittivarathe of Sadao Immigration has confirmed that if an individual can not prove they are a genuine tourist they will be refused entry to Thailand, reports the Phuket Gazette.

Col Banphot claimed that as as many as 100 foreigners per month are being denied entry on the basis they could be using a tourist visa to enter the country and work illegally.

Persistent abusers of the tourist visa system and the ones who are likely to arouse suspicion of Immigration officials are those who “are using many tourist visas to enter Thailand multiple times”, says Col Banphot.

Legitimate tourists who wish to enter Thailand are advised to show officials hotel bookings or some kind of travel itinerary.

Sadao is located in Songkhla province and is one of the major border checkpoints on the Thai/Malaysian border.

In the past, Sadao has been popular with border runners travelling from Phuket and other tourist destinations in southern Thailand.

tvn.png
-- 2014-07-15

• Like 1

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How does one prove that they are a genuine tourist?

think again!

Trying to enter the country without a luggage, wearing a business attire, having numerous back to back tourist visas, just to name a few, should already be a sign....

Of course, you can object, but if you are honnest with yourself, you will just think how you are when you enter a country a s tourist....

• Like 1

Have ya tilak from Bangla or Soi Reggai do the border jump with youlaugh.png

On a serious note its getting quite scary for some

Edited by PattayaPhom
  • Like 1

As an example, the vast majority of tourists visit a country of a set amount of time and have hotels and flight home booked. I think it would be pretty obvious if you're a tourist or not. Tourists don't stay in the same country for years for example. So those getting back to back visas for years on end are obviously not tourists. There will be some gray areas, but for the vast majority it's very easy to know.

A very productive answer.

Just how long is a while?

1 day, 1 week. 1 month 1 year.

how long?

by going home for a while

Going home at all is more than most seem to ever do -- maybe will look good if you are from XYZ country to have a Tourist visa 1-3 entries issued at Thai Embassy/Consulate in XYZ country.

Whatever!

Of course there is a very large contingent of visarunners.

But many of them are NOT working.

This is another sign that Thailand is getiing on the wrong track.

If it gets known that Thai visa's are not worth the money you pay for it, this will have a negative effect on "real" tourists.

Besides this bad effect, what about the loss of capital, loss of jobs?

I know a guy, 42, swimming in his money....well ok, wading, a visa runner.

Spends around 2-3 million baht a year.

He will probably not get a visa any more.

Byebye!

Agree....but I guess a few have ruined it for the genuine tourists who do like to stay here for a length of time.....

• Like 1

Whatever!

Of course there is a very large contingent of visarunners.

But many of them are NOT working.

This is another sign that Thailand is getiing on the wrong track.

If it gets known that Thai visa's are not worth the money you pay for it, this will have a negative effect on "real" tourists.

Besides this bad effect, what about the loss of capital, loss of jobs?

I know a guy, 42, swimming in his money....well ok, wading, a visa runner.

Spends around 2-3 million baht a year.

He will probably not get a visa any more.

Byebye!

Why doesn't he get the PE card ?

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/726441-thailand-elite-easy-access-500k-thb-card/page-20#entry8106119

http://www.thailandelite.com/newcreate/file_upload/20140304170727_WEB1.jpg

http://www.thailandelite.com/tpc_news_view.php?id=6

Edited by jpinx

Living in the LOS for the last 22 years , work legally , visa and work permit I have friends visiting on regular basis and staying in my house , sometime for few weeks using it as a holiday base ..... how does it work in those cases ? this witches hunt is understandable but also very stupid ..... there are so many different cases of tourists nowadays .

If your friends are coming on a tourist visa once or twice a year it should present no difficulties. The current clampdown is clearly specified -- they won't allow people to enter if they have a history of going out and in to Thailand frequently without legitimate reason and proof.

This might just be the beginning.I can see Thailand's neighboring countries having problems with all the farangs that can go into

Thailand.

May be it's a good time to go and open hotels, clubs and travel agencies at the borders of those neighboring countries. :D

Edited by lynnnayko

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

think again!
Trying to enter the country without a luggage, wearing a business attire, having numerous back to back tourist visas, just to name a few, should already be a sign....
Of course, you can object, but if you are honnest with yourself, you will just think how you are when you enter a country a s tourist....
I have my own condo with everything I need, so no big luggage. I fly to Thailand 5-7 times a year and stay a week or three max. Then I fly back to work overseas. I checked my passport and so far this year I have been in country total of 5 weeks. No bookings, and no check-out time! Thats why I bought the condo! What does it matter what I wear on the plane, am I not a tourist? If not what am I?

The difference is that you are not a visa runner who is walking across the border and then back again usually on the same day. You own property here and fly out by airplane, spend loads of time abroad and then fly back in. Completely different set of circumstances.

Seems to me that this is a case of a few bad apples spoiling the bunch. The police have clearly stated that the crackdown is aimed at Russians, Koreans, and Vietnamese who clearly intend to skirt the work permit rules. The "no visa run" solution is a blunt instrument with a reach broader than the intended target. So it is with many bureaucratic solutions.

An alternative solution is for immigration police or labor officials to conduct selective raids on businesses employing foreigners in certain areas and ask to see work permits. Samsung was mentioned as one particular abuser. And, many of you know of other examples from language schools to dive operators.

Edited by DavidHouston
  • Like 2

The police have clearly stated that the crackdown is aimed at Russians, Koreans, and Vietnamese who clearly intend to skirt the work permit rules.

It doesn't seem other nationalities are treated any less differently than those "targeted":

"The countries of origin of the 8 refused foreigners include the UK, Italy, USA, Russia, Ukraine, Romania and New Zealand."

• Like 2