Scores of foreigners refused entry to Thailand at Malaysian border

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

diplomatically I want to say I am astonished to see how many are so gullible to take immigration at their word thinking it's only going to apply to back to back visas. This is a royal flush out for those who have too many stamps in their passports, back to back or otherwise. At least I see it's time to wake up and smell the coffee. However if you can convince border post guy you're not working there's still hope perhaps.

Diplomatically I want to say, "time to stop trolling." Have you ever crossed into Thailand? Have you ever visited Thailand? Where and when and for how long. Try and let the folks who have some experience with boots on the ground relate their experiences instead of stirring the pot with things you imagine.

If I am wrong and you have made a border crossing recently please inform us.

I have had nothing but good experiences with Thai immigration in the 40 times I have interacted with them over the past ten years.

Stop spreading rumors and try personal experiences.

rumours are things people talk about but don't happen. You need to do some more research and reading. I am not a troll. Why do you see it fit to accuse people? I could accuse you of something but such conflict would not be conducive to the fraternal help needed on this forum. Times have changed.
  • Like 1

diplomatically I want to say I am astonished to see how many are so gullible to take immigration at their word thinking it's only going to apply to back to back visas. This is a royal flush out for those who have too many stamps in their passports, back to back or otherwise. At least I see it's time to wake up and smell the coffee. However if you can convince border post guy you're not working there's still hope perhaps.

Diplomatically I want to say, "time to stop trolling." Have you ever crossed into Thailand? Have you ever visited Thailand? Where and when and for how long. Try and let the folks who have some experience with boots on the ground relate their experiences instead of stirring the pot with things you imagine.

I have had nothing but good experiences with Thai immigration in the 40 times I have interacted with them over the past ten years.

rumours are things people talk about but don't happen. You need to do some more research and reading. I am not a troll. Why do you see it fit to accuse people? I could accuse you of something but such conflict would not be conducive to the fraternal help needed on this forum. Times have changed.

Fraternal? Have you ever been to Thailand? When? So, any more reports from the Borders today of people being turned away with tourist visas? Try posting something useful instead of creating an atmosphere of fear and loathing.

Fraternal? Have you ever been to Thailand? When? So, any more reports from the Borders today of people being turned away with tourist visas? Try posting something useful instead of creating an atmosphere of fear and loathing.
respectfully you must have missed theno more than 6 month in 2 years report. This is what has prompted me to write this. I will not lower myself to bicker with you, especially as you are busy bickering with many. I can read, write and speak both laos and thai so i believe i may have spent more than a week in Thailand. I find it childish that one needs to boast about their time spent in Thailand. I have far more respect for Mother Theresa.

respectfully you must have missed theno more than 6 month in 2 years report. This is what has prompted me to write this. I will not lower myself to bicker with you, especially as you are busy bickering with many. I can read, write and speak both laos and thai so i believe i may have spent more than a week in Thailand. I find it childish that one needs to boast about their time spent in Thailand. I have far more respect for Mother Theresa.

You are a fellow from Malaysia trying to re direct tourists to your own country. Obvious. Better more experiences with border crossings than trying to scare people coming to Thailand.

It's official.

I have just rung the farang owner of a bar I regularly use who told me last night he was getting his wife to call immigration at Poipet to ask what they consider 'too long' The IO told her more than six months of tourist visas in your passport over the last 2 years and you will be questioned.

That is the order that came from the bosses in BKK and being circulated around all border points as the official guide rule.

They don't consider anyone to be a tourist of more than 6 months across the past 2 years, and you have to be good to prove you are.

Secondly he also confirmed that second visits on double entry visas are not considered. You will still be turned away at the border regardless.

That is official from the horse's mouth.

Thank you, most helpful. Now i know why the IO was very unhappy with me even though I had been out of Thailand for 8 months. Time for me to be a long term tourist somewhere else. Your priceless post certainly confirms this. I am now under no illusions.
no more than six months. I for one are taking note. Some posters wish you to disregard this recent post. Completely incomprehensible logic to call people trolls and scare mongers. One must see a problem then tackle it. Your post I believe has revealed the way things will transpire. Your post the greatest of help for thai visa members. A job well done ! Edited by ilocos

It's official.

I have just rung the farang owner of a bar I regularly use who told me last night he was getting his wife to call immigration at Poipet to ask what they consider 'too long' The IO told her more than six months of tourist visas in your passport over the last 2 years and you will be questioned.

That is the order that came from the bosses in BKK and being circulated around all border points as the official guide rule.

They don't consider anyone to be a tourist of more than 6 months across the past 2 years, and you have to be good to prove you are.

Secondly he also confirmed that second visits on double entry visas are not considered. You will still be turned away at the border regardless.

Thank you, most helpful. Now i know why the IO was very unhappy with me even though I had been out of Thailand for 8 months. Time for me to be a long term tourist somewhere else. Your priceless post certainly confirms this. I am now under no illusions.
no more than six months. I for one are taking note. Some posters wish you to disregard this recent post. Completely incomprehensible logic to call people trolls and scare mongers. One must see a problem then tackle it. Your post I believe has revealed the way things will transpire. Your post the greatest of help for thai visa members. A job well done !

You wrote, "I for one are taking note." Why?

It's official.

no more than six months. I for one are taking note. Some posters wish you to disregard this recent post. Completely incomprehensible logic to call people trolls and scare mongers. One must see a problem then tackle it. Your post I believe has revealed the way things will transpire. Your post the greatest of help for thai visa members. A job well done !

I think that is quite obvious. Look at the forum heading.

I think that is quite obvious. Look at the forum heading.

Three people a day being refused visas. Wow. How many people per day come into Thailand at that border crossing?

Edited by thailiketoo

Has anyone here ever booked a hotel room for 6 months solid?

Nah, didn't think so.

Let's have less of the BS, shall we?

I have, but not in Thailand. I lived in a 5 room executive suite at a hotel in China for about a year and a half.... smile.png

Let's say that I am 40 years old and have passive income in my home country that has allowed me to retire and I spend 2m baht a year in Thailand.

I want to live in Thailand but I am not married to a Thai, do not want to work in Thailand, too young for retirement visa.

That means that I have two options:

500k elite card

or

10m baht investment visa?

Let me turn that question around a bit and see what the response will be:

Let's say that I am 40 years old and have passive income in my home country that has allowed me to retire and I spend $30,000 USD a year in the USA.

I want to live in the USA but I am not married to a USA woman, I do not want to work in the USA, and am too young for retirement visa.

How would you answer that?

Answer: Anybody who would want to go to my country and try to live on $30,000 and not work is a nutter and should be denied for that reason alone.

All joking aside we get your point. Thailand is way more liberal than US and has more visa options for expats who want to stay full time. However a visa exempt foreigner can fly in fly out every 90 days to his home in Aspen, on freehold land, until he is blue in the face. Apparently there is also a 10 year multi entry visa, and it does not cost 666,000 Baht! The ones without money marry the first chick who says yes, with scant regard for weight or apppearance. (Many of the European pilots in my company got the green card this way) And so did the exwife!

Edited by arunsakda

I'm interested in the elite Card. I think this will be a much cheaper and a more peaceful option than marrying. Please advise of links to elite Card.

Google "Thailand Elite card." http://www.thailandelite.com/index.php
2 million baht for elite card extremely cheap compared to marrying. I recommend it to all Thai Visa members.

Who are you? What are your credentials to make a recommendation?

Thai elite card - reserves the right to change and modify privileges. I will part with my 2 million baht with the greatest peace of mind as I would buying a wife a home. A very sound investment. Cambodia, Laos $200 usd a year with guaranteed terms & conditions.

I'm interested in the elite Card. I think this will be a much cheaper and a more peaceful option than marrying. Please advise of links to elite Card.

There is easy acces card for 500k for 5 years as well

With all the varying stories and opinions we are concerned about being denied entry into Thailand this year. I called the Royal Thai Embassy in Ottawa, On Canada. I explained that we had been traveling to Thailand for a few months every year for the past 5 years and wanted to make sure, with the apparent rule changes, that we had the correct visa. The person who answered the phone, whom I recognized as the woman I always speak with when I go to the Embassy for a visa, assured me several times that a double entry tourist visa was sufficient. She said that new approach was only for "visa runners". Her exact words.

I do understand that having a visa does not guarantee entry to the country, as has always been the case.

I have a high skill job in the United States and make US$150k per year. I do not need to be in an office in the United States 100% of the time to do this job, and honestly it doesn't take me that much time. I do have an ID card from my (large) employer, which is well known (and easy to find online). I have a page on my employers website with my photo there. I also own a business in which 90% of the work is subcontracted out and make another US$100,000 from this company. I am in Thailand on a 30 day waiver.

I was in Thailand in December/on a single 30 day visa waiver (used about 7 days) went to Vietnam with my Thai GF (who has a great job) for a holiday and returned after 4 days. Another visa waiver in January and used about 10 days. Left the country for two months until mid March and had a visa waiver (used 21 days). Left the country until July 1 (more than 3 months). Will leave July 30 (used all 30 days) and plan to return August 8 for a few weeks. I have a return ticket to the US on the 28th.

So why am I here? I come to visit my GF. She has a 10 year US business visa and comes to visit me when she has time off as well. (The US stamps her for 6 months at a time...) I spend lots of cash here, stay at Marriott's and eat at 5* restaurants.

I think it's pretty obvious that I am a tourist, but still wondering about what's going to happen when I return as the next "out" will only be 5-7 days.

Any recommended strategies? Should I show my work ID on arrival? Should I show a letter from the US embassy that I have a job and salary outside Thailand? I guess the embassy will issue such a letter for $50. Should I ask my employer to write a letter verifying employment in the US?

Edited by moto77

With all the varying stories and opinions we are concerned about being denied entry into Thailand this year. I called the Royal Thai Embassy in Ottawa, On Canada. I explained that we had been traveling to Thailand for a few months every year for the past 5 years and wanted to make sure, with the apparent rule changes, that we had the correct visa. The person who answered the phone, whom I recognized as the woman I always speak with when I go to the Embassy for a visa, assured me several times that a double entry tourist visa was sufficient. She said that new approach was only for "visa runners". Her exact words.

I do understand that having a visa does not guarantee entry to the country, as has always been the case.

how long do u usually stay out on your out/in?

This might just be the beginning.I can see Thailand's neighboring countries having problems with all the farangs that can go into

Thailand.

The Burmese border post at Mae Sot will be none too pleased. At 500 Baht a pop for every in-and-out, it gave them a steady flow of cash from dawn to dusk. And Thai side was collecting overstay fines. I've seen a few handing over substantial wads of money on that score!

They may as well shut down, close the bridge and start shooting each other again.

Nonsense, now you can enter Myanmar there and stay overnight in Myawady, travel to other parts of the country (I've done it three times at that border) if you arrive with a Myanmar visa. Myanmar has already stopped border passes at one other crossing (Htee Khee opposite Phu Nam Ron) and at least one poster was told that the days of US$10 one day visa runs to Myanmar via Myawady have ended because Myanmar is now no longer issuing these passes (that guy might have been mistaken though).

If you want to enter Myanmar there or at any other crossing, get a Myanmar visa in advance.

Edited by Tomtomtom69

I guess the embassy will issue such a letter for $50. This would be form at the US Embassy in Bangkok which states the following:

4. The U. S. Embassy does not guarantee the contents of my own sworn statement.

While I'm sure they don't guarantee anything, the income version of that form doesn't say that.

http://photos.state.gov/libraries/thailand/231771/acs/income_affidavit_template.pdf

I guess the embassy will issue such a letter for $50. This would be form at the US Embassy in Bangkok which states the following:

4. The U. S. Embassy does not guarantee the contents of my own sworn statement.

While I'm sure they don't guarantee anything, the income version of that form doesn't say that.

http://photos.state.gov/libraries/thailand/231771/acs/income_affidavit_template.pdf

He posted the wrong link.That is just a plain affidavit form that can be used for many things.