Scores of foreigners refused entry to Thailand at Malaysian border

Why cant a person stay here and do a work electronically in another country?

Because it is against the Thai law.

Their country, their laws

If you read the whole saga you will notice it was about changing the rules/visa system to make it possible to do such work in Thailand. At present its against the law but the question was if it should be as its not competing with Thai workers and its contributingto the economy.

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just to clarify that I did not misunderstand them... here is the notification

Hi xxxxxx

I have spoken with our Visa team and they have informed me that they no longer recommend Non Immigrant Visa applications in the UK especially for newly formed Companies.

All applications in the UK are now re-routed to the Thai Embassy in London, which have proven to be stricter than Thai Consulates elsewhere. The main stumbling block here though is the requirement of the WP3 documnet which is a pre Work Permit confirmation. This document is only available if the company is already registered on the social security system. (The 4 Thai employees already registered).

I believe we have 2 options here:

1. Upon your departure from the UK, you travel to either Singapore or Australia (Adelaide or Melbourne) to apply at the Thai Consulates there. These consulates do not have this WP3 requirement and are much more lenient in handing out the Visa. You then travel into Thailand where we move on to the Work Permit Application.
  2. You acquire a 90 day Tourist Visa from the Thai Embassy in London. We then deal with the conversion to the Non immigrant (90 days) as well as the subsequent 1 year extensions in country. Please however note that this option is not recommended for newly formed companies, as its easier to acquire the Visa at the Consulate than it is at the Immigration department in Thailand as well.

I completely understand that option 1 above may cause inconvenience with regards to both cost and travel plans. Please however note that it remains the safest and most efficient way to acquire the Non Immigrant Business Visa without any complication.

Im getting more and more convinced Thailand doesn't want us (or our money) anymore!!!!

Hi imjustagirl,

A few years ago I was all set to get a work permit but a cock up by the Thai Embassy in London left me with the wrong visa (one that stated 'Employment Prohibited' despite me informing them of what it was for!), so I had to go to Ranong, get the visa cancelled and come back in to Thailand on a 30 day visa exempt; this was then converted to a non immigrant visa within Thailand and my work permit could go through. So option 2 is possible as your lawyer says, and I don't remember it being much hassle. The company wasn't newly formed though, so I can't comment on whether that makes a difference. It is probably worth making enquiries (on here would be a good start) as to where you can get the Visa that they are telling you is only available in Singapore or Australia - I'm pretty sure I have heard of people getting a Non B in Laos but these things do change. Good luck with it anyway.

Thanks wanderlust, so not just me then!

Seems crazier and crazier.....I'm trying to open a distribution division in Thailand with turnover of $500k a year, staff of 6 Thai, existing corps in Hong Kong... yet I'm not allowed a visa to be here without jumping left right and center.....perhaps with the new visa enforcement then they should look at making it easier for people start legitimate businesses here or they will just end up pushing away companies....I'm not about to marry a Thai for a visa and am under 50, true - elite is possible but I do have to monitor my own company which would mean without wp I would be breaking the law.....

I just hope Singapore doesn't give me hassle!!!

My husband and I have been coming to Thailand now for 5 years. We always have a double entry visa. We get the first visa extended after 60 days and then at the 90 day mark we leave the country and go on a trip somewhere for about a week. We then return to Thailand for another 60 days. We then return to Canada for about 6.5 months. We own a condo in Thailand so no hotel reservations to show. We also own a house in Canada which is our permanent residence.

My husband is 61 and I am 65. We don't want to apply for a retirement visa for a number of reasons. I don't think we would qualify financially and we do not want to have to leave that large amount of money in a Thai bank.

We have tickets to return to Thailand Nov.1. We are planning a trip to Borneo the end of January for at least a week. We will have air plane tickets to this effect when we arrive in Thailand. We will then return to Thailand for less than 60 days. We have tickets to return to Canada at the end of March.

Does this qualify us as tourists or should we be exploring other visa options?

Thanks.

I am very pro Thailand.... I mean I love the country. I have been only living here for 9 months (on ED visa, and soon a work permit), but have been preparing for the move since 2004.... literally. However, this crackdown just rubs me the wrong way because the visas should not have been issued in the first place then denied at the border. I don't care if Thais or any other country has a right to do this, it is just wrong.

So, if I am to apply for that 500k Elite Visa card which I have money for no problem in case I decide not to teach, who is to say that after one year I can be denied based on some silly loophole like you previously had an ED visa in your passport or something similar.

No. This gives Thailand a bad name.

Don't issue Visas if you are not ready to Honor them.

This is just something you don't do, even though you can.

Edited by theguyfromanotherforum

It's official.

I have just rung the farang owner of a bar I regularly use who told me last night he was getting his wife to call immigration at Poipet to ask what they consider 'too long' The IO told her more than six months of tourist visas in your passport over the last 2 years and you will be questioned.

That is the order that came from the bosses in BKK and being circulated around all border points as the official guide rule.

They don't consider anyone to be a tourist of more than 6 months across the past 2 years, and you have to be good to prove you are.

Secondly he also confirmed that second visits on double entry visas are not considered. You will still be turned away at the border regardless.

That is official from the horse's mouth.

We own a condo in Hua Hin, so no travel itinerary or hotel bookings.... we like to golf and sit on the beach. Normally get a double or tgriple entry tourist visa and stay for the winter months.

We spend a lot of $$ in Thailand, golfing and such are not cheap. If indeed we are denied entry , it is quite likely we will sell and never return.

I think Thais would like the farang with money and who is respectable of any age to stay in Thailand. But there are too many people staying here who they don't want. Yesterday I was on an Airasia flight and we were coming in for a landing. A stupid farang maybe 40 year old looking a bit dirty got up and opened the overhead bin and started playing around with his bags. This approach was very ruff and the flight attendant was yelling at the guy but he just acted stupid as stupid does... She had to risk being injured and come to close the bin. The Thai people sitting near me had the look on their face like " stupid farang" . It made me shy... What can I say, too many stupid farang now in Thailand and they make us all look bad and open for abuse by Thais. Their once respect for us is long gone.

We brought this on ourselves....

Lets see what happens when busy season no longer exists for those who are employed in the tourist industry. Hopefully they make the retirement visa easier to get if you own your condo or house there.

I work hard in my home country for 7 months so i can afford to stay in Thailnd for 4 or 5 months and relax, golf, sit on the beach, and play in the dart and pool leagues. If Thailand doesnt want my money , so be it, i will go to the other asian countries like Laos who have no issues with extending your stay... you dont even have to leave the country..

Edited by mouserman

My husband and I have been coming to Thailand now for 5 years. We always have a double entry visa. We get the first visa extended after 60 days and then at the 90 day mark we leave the country and go on a trip somewhere for about a week. We then return to Thailand for another 60 days. We then return to Canada for about 6.5 months. We own a condo in Thailand so no hotel reservations to show. We also own a house in Canada which is our permanent residence.

My husband is 61 and I am 65. We don't want to apply for a retirement visa for a number of reasons. I don't think we would qualify financially and we do not want to have to leave that large amount of money in a Thai bank.

We have tickets to return to Thailand Nov.1. We are planning a trip to Borneo the end of January for at least a week. We will have air plane tickets to this effect when we arrive in Thailand. We will then return to Thailand for less than 60 days. We have tickets to return to Canada at the end of March.

Does this qualify us as tourists or should we be exploring other visa options?

Thanks.

Apply for a non immigrant O multiple or O-A multiple visa.

• Like 1

People keep saying how this will affect tourism but I think this is highly unlikely.

Firstly, the tourists that the elite of Thailand (who ultimately pull the strings on these kinds of things) are bothered about are those who are 'respectable' and bring the real money in - those couple's and families who mainly go to the beach resorts for 2 or 3 weeks and stay in the nice resorts. And those people are not going to pay the slightest interest in visa changes, they just book with the travel agent and away they go.

Backpackers might do a bit more research on visas but again, for them Thailand is one of the top spots for backpacking and they are not going to let some visa changes affect them. If they need to show some kind of itinerary then they'll bring it and they won't have a passport full of visas to mess things up anyway. Most Thais are disgusted at the thought that someone is going to live out of a rucksack and sweat their way around Thailand, so they won't care if some of them slip through the net anyway.

The only people it's going to put off is the ones they want it to - those that aren't actually tourists.

How does one prove that they are a genuine tourist?

There is a hint in the news article quoted in the first post of this topic:

Legitimate tourists who wish to enter Thailand are advised to show officials hotel bookings or some kind of travel itinerary.

I think Thais would like the farang with money and who is respectable of any age to stay in Thailand. But there are too many people staying here who they don't want. Yesterday I was on an Airasia flight and we were coming in for a landing. A stupid farang maybe 40 year old looking a bit dirty got up and opened the overhead bin and started playing around with his bags. This approach was very ruff and the flight attendant was yelling at the guy but he just acted stupid as stupid does... She had to risk being injured and come to close the bin. The Thai people sitting near me had the look on their face like " stupid farang" . It made me shy... What can I say, too many stupid farang now in Thailand and they make us all look bad and open for abuse by Thais. Their once respect for us is long gone.

We brought this on ourselves....

Ever been on an aircraft flying out of or into HK, China Taiwan ??

It's official.

I have just rung the farang owner of a bar I regularly use who told me last night he was getting his wife to call immigration at Poipet to ask what they consider 'too long' The IO told her more than six months of tourist visas in your passport over the last 2 years and you will be questioned.

That is the order that came from the bosses in BKK and being circulated around all border points as the official guide rule.

They don't consider anyone to be a tourist of more than 6 months across the past 2 years, and you have to be good to prove you are.

Secondly he also confirmed that second visits on double entry visas are not considered. You will still be turned away at the border regardless.

That is official from the horse's mouth.

youre saying a double entry tourist visa wont be honoured?

We own a condo in Hua Hin, so no travel itinerary or hotel bookings.... we like to golf and sit on the beach. Normally get a double or tgriple entry tourist visa and stay for the winter months.

We spend a lot of $$ in Thailand, golfing and such are not cheap. If indeed we are denied entry , it is quite likely we will sell and never return.

thousands like you

That's an easy one, (Western tourist only):

1. A genuine Western tourist usually arrives via international air borders.
  2. The difference between last visit and new visit should be > 6 months.
  3. A return ticket to country of origin should be in the tourist's possession, to be shown to immigration.

I'm sure others can think of other ways to determine a true western tourist...

I'll ring the bell on that statement.

A Canadian friend of mine is married to a Malaysian lass. He doesn't qualify for

residence there as he's not Muslim. Neither is his wife. However, due to a change in

Malaysia's laws on marriage & visas he can do visa runs to LOS every 90 days and

reside in Malaysia as long as they're married. He quite likes doing this. All he must do

is have a certified copy of their marriage license in his possession to show the Mal

immigration officer upon his return. He's been doing this for over 20 years with zero

problems.

They came to visit the missus & I last month, his passport is full ov VOA chops...but

since he spends less than a week in LOS each "visit" he has no problems...even in

light of the current situation. He drives up sometimes...sometimes he walks the border

...sometimes takes a taxi....no probs. He has money, he dresses casually and he has

a pony tail...then again he's 59 years old.

So...just what is a "Western Tourist" again?

That's an easy one, (Western tourist only):

1. A genuine Western tourist usually arrives via international air borders.
  2. The difference between last visit and new visit should be > 6 months.
  3. A return ticket to country of origin should be in the tourist's possession, to be shown to immigration.

I'm sure others can think of other ways to determine a true western tourist...

I'll ring the bell on that statement.

A Canadian friend of mine is married to a Malaysian lass. He doesn't qualify for

residence there as he's not Muslim. Neither is his wife. However, due to a change in

Malaysia's laws on marriage & visas he can do visa runs to LOS every 90 days and

reside in Malaysia as long as they're married. He quite likes doing this. All he must do

is have a certified copy of their marriage license in his possession to show the Mal

immigration officer upon his return. He's been doing this for over 20 years with zero

problems.

They came to visit the missus & I last month, his passport is full ov VOA chops...but

since he spends less than a week in LOS each "visit" he has no problems...even in

light of the current situation. He drives up sometimes...sometimes he walks the border

...sometimes takes a taxi....no probs. He has money, he dresses casually and he has

a pony tail...then again he's 59 years old.

So...just what is a "Western Tourist" again?

Looks like he's gonna have to head somewhere else now.

so next is to chase the overstayers & blacklist them

I'm sure there'll be plenty of blackmaillisting going on when someone on an overstay is caught.

I expect the number of passport inspections to greatly increase over the next 6 months or so, ocasionally they will hit the jackpot and find one.

Lets see what happens when busy season no longer exists for those who are employed in the tourist industry. Hopefully they make the retirement visa easier to get if you own your condo or house there.

I work hard in my home country for 7 months so i can afford to stay in Thailnd for 4 or 5 months and relax, golf, sit on the beach, and play in the dart and pool leagues. If Thailand doesnt want my money , so be it, i will go to the other asian countries like Laos who have no issues with extending your stay... you dont even have to leave the country..

Bye….hahahaha

Bye….hahahaha

Wow - what a life you have in Thailand - sitting all day trolling across multiple threads.

I am jealous. Much. jerk.gif.pagespeed.ce.TMGfqs4Lzz.gif

• Like 1

I think there will be a lot of people with new passports on the way

This will make no difference to travel histories, because everything is on the Immigration Department's data base. Haven't you ever noticed the officer typing your info whilst watching a computer screen? They are not chatting on Facebook!

What is amazing (not unsurprising) is nobody has said you must stay out of the country XXXX days / weeks / months before we will consider to allow you back in again.

Meanwhile over at TAT, the spin machine has thrown a belt and they are looking for a new part.

That's right. TAT are expecting record numbers in 2015 ... just don't stay longer than your entry visa!

They might get them too. China has requested again that it's citizens be allowed visa free travel to Thailand.

In my opinion this is the only way Thailand will increase the volume of tourists while these regulations are in place.

Do you work harder than those of us who sat in that bloody departure lounge at DM or Swampy, year after year, knowing that it would be 6 months+ before we'd be able to return for another stint as a 2-week millionaire ? Those of us who dreamt of the day when we'd be able to get off the plane without having to return to our home countries ? I might have had one boss in my entire working life who thought allowing people to take leave twice a year was a good idea - the rest just didnt want to know and there was inevitably a mountain of crap in my inbox when I got back from leave. I accept that you may not have been a wage slave, but that was my fate and I was intensely relieved when I turned 55.

I dont agree with some of the bile being heaped on people from sections of the retirement brigade, but I can understand how it has festered inside some over the years when we get back to another Winter in Dullsville to read crap like 'Dont worry fellas - we'll take real good care of your women while you're away !'. It would seem that the worm has turned - interesting times ahead for us all.

Whatever!

Of course there is a very large contingent of visarunners.

But many of them are NOT working.

This is another sign that Thailand is getiing on the wrong track.

If it gets known that Thai visa's are not worth the money you pay for it, this will have a negative effect on "real" tourists.

Besides this bad effect, what about the loss of capital, loss of jobs?

I know a guy, 42, swimming in his money....well ok, wading, a visa runner.

Spends around 2-3 million baht a year.

He will probably not get a visa any more.

Byebye!

He should look at investing 10 mill and going for an investment visa if he wants to stay, under 50 and single no need to be bound to Thailand I doubt he would be missed anyway it's only 2-3 mill a year.

To add he can afford the elite card plenty options if he is just not so tight.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

"I doubt he would be missed anyway it's only 2-3 mill a year."

He'll be missed by by many people, I only spend maybe half a mill a year and I'd be missed by plenty of people. Many businesses will go under and many Thai people will suffer. This is bad news for many people, farang and Thai.

If a married bloke needs 400k, how much does a tourist? At the moment there is no new "way" so, one can only conclude that they want to remove a certain type of tourist

Yes, they want to remove people that are obviously not tourists from using tourist visas and visa exemptions.

It has been explained by Immigration and on TV ad nauseum.

You want to stay long term, get a long term visa.

If you can't qualify for that visa, Thailand doesn't want you.

"Thailand doesn't want you"

Wrong! A bunch of 5star resort owning democracy stealing fascists don't want you! The ordinary Thai people on the tourist trail most certainly do. This is going to hurt a lot of people.

• Like 2

Has anyone here ever booked a hotel room for 6 months solid?

Nah, didn't think so.

Let's have less of the BS, shall we?

As a matter of fact I have. Done it 3 times. The Seven Seas in Phuket. Great location and off season rate that includes electric, water, wifi,

and daily cleaning. Owned by a lovely successful Thai lady, friendly/helpful staff. Can't say enough good things. thumbsup.gif

3 and a bit people per day. Suggest the immigration guys need to pull the finger out and try harder.

Well if you have a visa, you have reasonable expectation to be allowed to enter the country.

There is only a presumption by the border officials that a visa holder could be working. Do Thai immigration (and Samran) really believe people who could make $15 an hour working legally in their own countries are flocking to Thailand to work illegally for $15 a day with no benefits, then exit and enter the country again every 60 days ?

many are .

Well I see you seem to have a comeback for everything.

Many are? Where do these many come from? US, UK, Australia, Canada, NZ?

Get a grip.

People from these countries would not dare work for 15,000 baht a month, and that's being generous. Immigration could take one look at where you are from and work out the probability of you working illegally in Thailand. You want to catch those working illegally, use better methods.

If you need to change and enforce the laws make it clear. Turning people away at borders with valid Visa's is a effin disgrace. With today's technology every Visa issuing office should be equipped with a database of information on all people that are and have been entering Thailand, to make judgement if they a worthy of a Visa.

• Like 2