All Food Related, restaurants, reviews, best pizza, Thai food etc...

Seastallion

I see they're excavating a new faux floating market just downstream from Wat Hat Yai Nai you can see the excavation (it's not flooded yet) if you drive down Soi Sakornmongkol the road parallel to the U-Taphao River opposite the Amphur.

It'll just become some ghastly rubbish filled mosquito farm.

I see they're excavating a new faux floating market just downstream from Wat Hat Yai Nai you can see the excavation (it's not flooded yet) if you drive down Soi Sakornmongkol the road parallel to the U-Taphao River opposite the Amphur.

It'll just become some ghastly rubbish filled mosquito farm.

It makes sense. The established floating market is quite faux in itself and is a bit out of the way and has tuktuk mafia running the transport (we went for a look; 40 baht tuktuk there, but no tuktuk would take us back for less than 250, and all the tuktuks had one man speaking for them)

If you're going to have a tourist trap, make it close to the hotels.

Would be interesting to have a pinned topic we can add to, with all the great / good/ different style of foods or sourcing them. We could use that as a reference point, so they don't disappear in the general posts.

For example where is the best Pizza, best Masaman etc..........

If you are interested let me know.

• Like 2

Would be interesting to have a pinned topic we can add to, with all the great / good/ different style of foods or sourcing them. We could use that as a reference point, so they don't disappear in the general posts.

It's definitely a good idea. The "list of favorite restaurants in Phuket" has over 150,000 views.

The only problem is that you tend to get a lot of cheerleading of venues by owners and their friends.

It's definitely a good idea. The "list of favorite restaurants in Phuket" has over 150,000 views.

The only problem is that you tend to get a lot of cheerleading of venues by owners and their friends.

Yes I know, we have a similar one in the Samui forum, easily vet the commercial side. Recommendations & reviews strictly on a personal experiences, hard but can usually be sorted.

PS, The one in Samui includes everything food related & a new thread started fresh each year.

Edited by Rooo
PS

Definitely interested.

In he meantime, I'll be sure to check out Payomburi Pizza next time I'm in Hat Yai. Thanks for the tip, Seastallion!

• Like 1

I'm in to that.

I can't envisage commercial interests promoting....Southern Thai TV section is relatively small compared to the others, and is not Western tourist oriented.

I had lunch at "Mr Steak" on Kanchanawanich Road in Muang District, Songkhla (just north of Thaksin U, same side) yesterday. Not very good, and quite expensive. (500 baht for two, No beer!). Overstaffed, yet poor, inattentive service across the board. This so often seems to be the case, anywhere I have gone in this country...

They also were showing an extremely graphic, violent movie on the large screen TV. I'd like to know who on this planet enjoys watching images of grotesque people/zombies being riddled with bullets and coughing up blood in slow-motion when they are trying to eat?

The only time the staff really 'perked up' and got off their smartphones was when The Lazy Song came on, performed by some Thai singers. I found the irony quite amusing.

I need to know the location of the best Isarn restaurant in Songkhla Town: asap! Any and all help appreciated.

The bathroom situation there also leaves a lot to be desired: Just one squat toilet that was occupied for at least ten minutes before I got a chance to see it. I was really looking forward to a royal experience (getting to sit on a real throne) after two months of squatting. A big let-down.

• Like 1

Pinning this topic as a reference point for all to share. Please share your experiences,recommendations of restaurants, the best places to source products , recipes , wish list etc...

• Like 1

Pinning this topic as a reference point for all to share. Please share your experiences,recommendations of restaurants, the best places to source products , recipes , wish list etc...

I don't think it's a good idea for this particular forum (Southern Thailand). I would open a thread about restaurants in Hat Yai or Songkhla, but not if the restaurant is likely to be in Chumpon or Betong. It might work for the Samui and Phuket forums, but there are several hundred kms between Chumpon and Betong. In this case, I think a sub-forum would probably be a better Idea so at least a thread title will give some indication if that particular thread/review is likely to be of any interest.

I had lunch at "Mr Steak" on Kanchanawanich Road in Muang District, Songkhla (just north of Thaksin U, same side) yesterday. Not very good, and quite expensive. (500 baht for two, No beer!). Overstaffed, yet poor, inattentive service across the board. This so often seems to be the case, anywhere I have gone in this country...

They also were showing an extremely graphic, violent movie on the large screen TV. I'd like to know who on this planet enjoys watching images of grotesque people/zombies being riddled with bullets and coughing up blood in slow-motion when they are trying to eat?

The only time the staff really 'perked up' and got off their smartphones was when The Lazy Song came on, performed by some Thai singers. I found the irony quite amusing.

I need to know the location of the best Isarn restaurant in Songkhla Town: asap! Any and all help appreciated.

The bathroom situation there also leaves a lot to be desired: Just one squat toilet that was occupied for at least ten minutes before I got a chance to see it. I was really looking forward to a royal experience (getting to sit on a real throne) after two months of squatting. A big let-down.

Hmmm..... I don't know the name of the road , but it is "the old road" Hat Yai - Songkhla, and around the halfway point (very near Wat Kok Sung) is a steak place called Steak Nai Suan. IS that the same place? I've been thinking of going there.

Yes, I have no familial connections with Isaan, but I do like Isaan food,,,would be good to know where to go.

Hmmm..... I don't know the name of the road , but it is "the old road" Hat Yai - Songkhla, and around the halfway point (very near Wat Kok Sung) is a steak place called Steak Nai Suan. IS that the same place? I've been thinking of going there.

Yes, I have no familial connections with Isaan, but I do like Isaan food,,,would be good to know where to go.

Mr Steak is a franchise type restaurant - there's one in the middle of Songkhla City and one out by Taksin Uni/Tesco Lotus. Steak Nai Suan, is actually OKish ... Thai-style steaks at Thai-style prices.

Getting back to Pizza Payom/Payomburi Bakery ... I stopped by this afternoon - it wasn't too bad at all.

post-145960-0-40789300-1405614173_thumb.

post-145960-0-48482600-1405614199_thumb.

post-145960-0-66292900-1405614242_thumb.

post-145960-0-26416700-1405614273_thumb.

• Like 1

Has anyone got GPRS coordinates for the pizza place, i have seen the signs, its got to be 2 minutes from my house but i cant find it, however many times i ride up and down that road.

We go to an issan restaurant in Ked-Pet, the road that Sotus / Paragon are on, opposite side of the road, not far from garage with 7-11. On the corner of paradise bungalow resort road. The Som-tam is good, along with the BBQ fish.

There is also Sukothai 'jim-jum' place, not far from you, on the back road to Big C, Th. Ratbumloong, Sukothai isnt really Issan but they have some nice issan dishes such as duck tongue, which you dont find too often here. There are also some issan 'gardens along the road but we dont rate them that much, a little too expensive, not too authentic, southern style (too much sugar in everything).

Mr.Steak .. We had a discussion at school about this chain, the kids came up with a word i never heard before - naa pee or ghost face to describe the staff. Anyway, along with Jeffers steak, best avoided if you think you are going to get a decent steak. However, we go the one in the soi kind of opposite Siam Nakarin. The service is a little better there and a better environment to the others in Hat Yai and Songkhla.

• Like 2

I just had a really un-entertaining night at Pirom Pizza,

The place wasnt exactly buzzing, just a couple of locals picking over a seafood salad whilst interacting through 'line'. The decor nice, the staff well turned out, i had high hopes.

I took the advice from the OP, steered clear of the hotdog sausage and ordered a ham pizza, the wife, a pasta and salad.

5 minutes later, the condiments were placed upon the table, and a couple of minutes after that, the pasta arrived with a 'carrot' salad garnished with that 5B lettuce they use to decorate street stalls.

We picked at the "salad" the missus wasnt impressed, she was mumbling about it not like the hydroponic stuff that some guy brings to work to sell, but i told her to pipe down as we were havin' a night out.

We waited … we waited .. we talked .. she finished her uneventful pasta .. we waited .. we watched and listened to the service girls 'torturing' a little kid in the middle of the restaurant, and the owner updated her fb profile on her ipad. Then everyone disappeared.

30 mins later .. the girl came to clean the table. The wife enquired where my pizza was ..

The girl gave that look of confusion, I knew what was coming next, I passed the wife my wallet and walked out.

Back home for cheese on toast. It's a sure bet that i will never get to taste a pizza from Pirom.

Edited by recom273

I just had a really un-entertaining night at Pirom Pizza,

The place wasnt exactly buzzing, just a couple of locals picking over a seafood salad whilst interacting through 'line'. The decor nice, the staff well turned out, i had high hopes.

I took the advice from the OP, steered clear of the hotdog sausage and ordered a ham pizza, the wife, a pasta and salad.

5 minutes later, the condiments were placed upon the table, and a couple of minutes after that, the pasta arrived with a 'carrot' salad garnished with that 5B lettuce they use to decorate street stalls.

We picked at the "salad" the missus wasnt impressed, she was mumbling about it not like the hydroponic stuff that some guy brings to work to sell, but i told her to pipe down as we were havin' a night out.

We waited … we waited .. we talked .. she finished her uneventful pasta .. we waited .. we watched and listened to the service girls 'torturing' a little kid in the middle of the restaurant, and the owner updated her fb profile on her ipad. Then everyone disappeared.

30 mins later .. the girl came to clean the table. The wife enquired where my pizza was ..

The girl gave that look of confusion, I knew what was coming next, I passed the wife my wallet and walked out.

Back home for cheese on toast. It's a sure bet that i will never get to taste a pizza from Pirom.

I'm amazed. Not at Piyom Pizza particularly, but at a business that on a quiet night could overlook an order. The girl that took (or didn't take) the order, the chef that ignored the order, or the owner who wasn't supervising.

At least you had cheese in the fridge. Cheese on toast is nice. Sorry about your experience.

May I suggest you right a review on their Facebook page....I'm still hopefull that your experience was isolated because I enjoyed the pizza wee had, very much and will return.

Very interested in the steak across the road from Siam Nakarin...there's two restaurants down that soi that I'm aware of...one on the corner of soi 19 and another just past it...both very standard the usual Thai stuff......Wife says her friend told her there is an Italian place somewhere around there....but wifey can't place it either.

CCF27072014.pdf

Edited by Seastallion

Dont worry mate, its just one of those special Thai moments, I sat there quietly fuming that my wifes food was served 20 mins before mine. I like to give staff the benefit of the doubt, before I start to enquire as we were thinking they had to heat the oven up or something.

Dont blame anyone else other than the girl who took the order, she didnt think we wanted 3 dishes, so she ignored my request. Even tho' my wife also asked for the pizza too. Just bad staff training at the end of the day. We talked about it on the way home, a good restaurant will read back the order, this girl did not.

A good restaurant owner comes over and says hi, hows the food ? This one was so busy on her ipad that it wasnt worth it.

It was hard enough to get the missus to come out in the first place, we have an oven, flour on the shelf, a pack of ham, some moz in the freezer .. she couldnt work out why we were going to spend money outside, but i like to check these things out and support a local business.

BTW: Have you visited Gaps garden, on Thamanooviti by Chao Praya massage ? I hear its over-priced but nice .. there is also another steak restaurant around the area of the old tesco. I wouldnt get your hopes up on Mr.Steak by SiamNak, its just somewhere to get some cheapish western fare when we dont cook at home.

• Like 1

The use of iPads/smartphones/tablets for enjoyment by restaurant staff here seems to be much more of a problem than in other parts of Thailand I have visited.

Maybe it spread from the masseuses...

• Like 1

BTW: Have you visited Gaps garden, on Thamanooviti by Chao Praya massage ? I hear its over-priced but nice ..

I much preferred Gap's when it was at the previous location. The current place is too big, especially when there are only a couple of customers.

there is also another steak restaurant around the area of the old tesco.

Probably Taste Add, just about opposite Baan Suan Coffee place - I can't think of any others in the area. You'll have a long wait if you expect the waitress to repeat your order though. whistling.gif De Van is the best option for steak in Hat Yai, IMHO.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Isaan food.

We were taken to an Isaan garden restaurant (and offered the air con room if we wanted it). I didn't get the name but the banner shows a fat woman with a tum grock. It's on the corner of the soi before you get to Big C Extra, if traveling from Siam Nakarin.

We had quite a few dishes...I thought the serving sizes were a bit small, but overall the food was good.

• 4 weeks later...

I head regularly to Nakhon on business and was looking for recommendations of where to eat, either falang or Thai food at reasonable prices.

I am often on day trips so places open for lunch would be a bonus.

There are good places to eat north of Nakhon City in the Tha Sala area. Try Pang Pring / Pak Duat seafront where there are a number of Thai and Farang restaurants, including the newly opened <removed> (British) Pub & Restaurant (). There is also a range of accommodation to suit all budgets.

Edited by LivinginKata
self promotion removed

I head regularly to Nakhon on business and was looking for recommendations of where to eat, either falang or Thai food at reasonable prices.

I am often on day trips so places open for lunch would be a bonus.

There are good places to eat north of Nakhon City in the Tha Sala area. Try Pang Pring / Pak Duat seafront where there are a number of Thai and Farang restaurants, including the newly opened <removed> (British) Pub & Restaurant . There is also a range of accommodation to suit all budgets.

A pub? Have to see that:lol: , coming this way in a week or so , we will see how good that area is.

• 2 months later...