All Food Related, restaurants, reviews, best pizza, Thai food etc...

Seastallion

Very nice clean English Thai restaurant, "Sweet Sawi," with both Thai and Farang food. Wonderful steak with fries and salad.

On the beach about 15 minutes on good highway from Sawi, in a pretty Thai setting. Good prices, and English spoken.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi, I was recently back in Khanom and was happy to go see the nice people at Dusty Gecko Restaurant. They are number 1 on Trip advisor for a reason you know!! If you want some western food that you have been yearning for since you left your home country, then you'd be as mad as a box of frogs NOT to go to Gecko. Moose? Crocodile tail fillets? And not a bad pool player either. (Check who's name is under the table!!) 10/10 on food and service with a smile!!

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Search?q=dustygecko&geo=&pid=3826&typeaheadRedirect=true&redirect=&startTime=1445551669402&uiOrigin=MASTHEAD&returnTo=__2F__

Hi, I was recently back in Khanom and was happy to go see the nice people at Dusty Gecko Restaurant. They are number 1 on Trip advisor for a reason you know!! If you want some western food that you have been yearning for since you left your home country, then you'd be as mad as a box of frogs NOT to go to Gecko. Moose? Crocodile tail fillets? And not a bad pool player either. (Check who's name is under the table!!) 10/10 on food and service with a smile!!

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Search?q=dustygecko&geo=&pid=3826&typeaheadRedirect=true&redirect=&startTime=1445551669402&uiOrigin=MASTHEAD&returnTo=__2F__

Nice free advert.laugh.png

• 3 weeks later...

What other places do you like to eat about and around the Kanom beach area?

The most awesome place to buy food is the evening market by the bridge, by the fishing boats, north of Khanom town.

If you have your own plates, etc, it's not just it's cheap as we end up with three times the amount of food than a restaurant. You can find lots of unusual dishes - way better than any Thai restaurant.

• Like 1

I'm looking forward to Vaughn opening his steak house in replacement of The Hive.

Have you been over to Sunset Cafe over at Ko Yor ?

Although it's not too convenient to go and see the sunset over the fish cages, you can pick up some great steak to cook at home.

The pies are pretty good too ..

Edited by recom273
  • Like 1

I'm looking forward to Vaughn opening his steak house in replacement of The Hive.

Have you been over to Sunset Cafe over at Ko Yor ?

Although it's not too convenient to go and see the sunset over the fish cages, you can pick up some great steak to cook at home.

The pies are pretty good too ..

It's a bit of a hike, but thanks for the suggestion regarding the steak and pies!

Entertaining friends visiting for the weekend saw us visit two old favourites and two new restaurant/bars in Hat Yai.

The two old favourites are both Thai restaurants the first 'Kan Eng' on Kimpradij Road not far from the BP Grand Tower hotel. Pork is the star here with both the braised pork leg and deep fried pork knuckle being our favourite choices. It's a no nonsense family run business on two floors. Service is quick and the restaurant is nearly always full. It's a must visit for Malaysian and Singapore Chinese tourists. The cost of dinner for six, total of six dishes plus rice was Bht1,500 (we weren't drinking any alcohol).

The second is the Samila Sea Sport Restaurant on Rajyindee Soi 6 this is the sister restaurant to the Samila Sea Sport on Samila Beach in Songkhla. This is Thai seafood and the seafood is fresh and cooking excellent, service is a little more measured but dishes keep coming at a the right pace for you to enjoy the meal. The restaurant can variously be packed or near empty as it's away from the city centre and the main cluster of hotels. Cost of a dinner for six, that was eight dishes plus rice, including two whole fish, two large crab, and four langoustine, was Bht4,000 again no alcohol, we took our own wine and they had no problem with that.

The first bar/restaurants was Quigley's Irish Bar & Restaurant which is in town on Sanehanusorn Road just south of the BP Grand Hotel, so not far from the Kan Eng. It's not really an Irish Pub as it's small and full of tables, more an 'Oirish' themed restaurant. But it was busy and the food looked great, the menu is extensive and very reasonably priced but we didn't eat there, a mixture of Thai, Chinese and British pub food. Most importantly the draught Guinness was very good, certainly a better pint than the Post Laser Disc which is the only other place in Hat Yai that I've drunk Guinness. The place was busy with mostly Thai families and a very light sprinkling of farang.

The second bar/restaurants was Gap's Garten which is out on Thumnoonvithi Rd heading east past Thanon Rajyindee, look out for the yellow neon gecko sign near the Daza Bar on the right hand side travelling away from Hat Yai. Gap's Garten is about 100m down the soi. It's a big open plan space with plenty of comfortable seating, it wasn't too busy the nights we went in and the customers were all Thai. Restaurant is German/Thai the owner is a German with his Thai wife. No draught beer but a huge selection of German and Belgian bottled beers. The beer menu is almost the size of the food menu. Beers aren't cheap but it makes a great change from the usual suspects available everywhere else. Service is excellent, beers come in their own special glasses served just right. We didn't investigate the food beyond a plate of German sausages but we'll certainly go back for a meal one evening.

There are several in Thung Wua Laen Beach (Pathio, Thailand). But I will name 2.

1) Take A Seat Cafe. The sign is down, but it is located near White Beach restaurant, right next to where the Curry Shack (Jasmine Bar) used to be. They don't have a large menu, but what he does he puts a lot of pride into. The only place I know that does french fries with fresh cut potatoes. Currently open for breakfast and lunch. He plans in the near future to have a separate dinner menu with Thai food and close earlier in the day, reopening 17:00 or so.

post-109486-0-77297900-1447732794_thumb.post-109486-0-92584700-1447732911_thumb.

2) Nit's Kitchen. Great spot to get coffee, western pancakes and breakfast, french bread/rolls, pumpkin / banana cookies, brownies, chocolate chip cookies (and sometimes oatmeal), and cakes also when they were doing it. Also have pad thai, fried rice, noodles, and a couple of other thai dishes. They are located near the Saphli Market after the 7-eleven (opposite side).

post-109486-0-48375000-1447732212_thumb.post-109486-0-00743800-1447732215_thumb.post-109486-0-99925100-1447732220_thumb.post-109486-0-44957600-1447732223_thumb.post-109486-0-29347100-1447732225_thumb.

Edited by 4evermaat

• 2 weeks later...

Great to hear from Stocky that Kan Eng is still in business...haven't been there is 15 years but look forward to going back.

We were there the other night, and my wife was wrong about the bill, this time there were four of us plus our five year old granddaughter, we had the braised pork leg, steamed fish chilli and lemon, tom-yam talay, spicy squid, fish cakes, steamed rice plus drinks including a large beer and the bill was only Bht1,350. Very busy considering it was a weekday. Fast service, excellent food.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

In NST Amphur Muang, a new bar cafe has open its doors for business, Lemontee.. they serve Mexican food.. open for 20 days now.. the food is good. the burito is a rocker.. .. a bit breeze and loud as the motorcycle gun down the road.

Location is a bit of a challenge, the location is on the same cross street as the RR station, look for the yellow sign in English.. if are down my the shell and temple, then you are in the wrong direction.. it is actually across from the C tary...  or that area where you can take a car to another province, taxi service.. see them on face book.

cheers

Edited by Rhys

In Hat Yai, two newish restaurants well worth visiting on/or just off Thumnoonvithi Road at the studenty end toward PSU are:

Hashi Japanese Restaurant (Phone No. 074-221988)

A good menu with excellent quality sashimi, an interesting sushi offering, plus some very tasty grilled and barbecued fish, seafood and meat dishes. There's a good selection of Japanese craft beers, plus sake and Japanese malt whisky. A good meal for 3 adults and 1 child; sashimi, sushi, three meat dishes plus dessert and alcohol came to just over Bht4,000.

The restaurant is on the left hand side heading out of town, some 350m past the main junction with Rajyindee Road (Thanon Sam Sip Met).

Gäp's Garten German Restaurant (Phone No. 074-231230)

Apart from a great choice of German/European food, they have a huge selection of Belgian and German bottled beers. Service can be a little slow on occasions but the food is well worth waiting for, and with good beer on offer what's the hurry. A good meal for 3 adults, main course plus dessert, with several beers comes to around Bht3,500.

The restaurant is down the Soi Chuntarajanusorn just opposite the Japanese restaurant about 40m on the left hand side. Look for the yellow sign with the jinjok logo.

Stocky mentioned 'studenty' which reminded me ..

Big Dads burger .. Do a fb search ..

It's on the back road in the student area near PSU. The place is in an apartment block car park.

It's a bit of a cross between an American gourmet food truck and a British greasy food van.

His burgers are cheap, good and thick - in a good brioche style bun - I don't live on that side of town but if your passing in the early evening - he's well worth a look, something a bit different.

Does anyone know if there is a place that sells real baguettes or rolls in HY or Songkhla Town? I don't want those stale things that they sell in supermarket bakeries, but the real thing, soft on the inside...any help appreciated.

The only place (that I know) that does 'reasonable' bread including baguettes is TOPS, but it can be a lottery depending on turnover; it can be fresh or yesterdays!  Of the options Robinsons, Diana or Festival, then the Tops in Robinsons is usually the more reliable, but that sometimes that means they've sold out. 

Edited by Stocky
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, phuketsub said:

Does anyone know if there is a place that sells real baguettes or rolls in HY or Songkhla Town? I don't want those stale things that they sell in supermarket bakeries, but the real thing, soft on the inside...any help appreciated.

I make my own. Easy to do and I know exactly what goes into it and there are NO preservatives. Start to finish I takes me less than 2 hours.

My biggest problem is how not to eat to much at one time.

• 1 month later...

Another western restaurant worth trying in Hat Yai.

Wine Society (Phone No. 090 713 0525)

A good menu, emphasis on grilled meats, fish and seafood, they also have pasta and pizza. Service was good, food was excellent. An interesting selection of wines, significantly cheaper by the bottle than the glass, sadly I'm the only wine drinker and didn't want a bottle to myself. Three course meal for three adults and one child with soft-drinks and a couple of glasses of wine was Bht2,700.

Restaurant  is on the corner of Phetkasem and Punnakan Roads just south of PSU, look for the Sure Toyota showroom, it's tucked away beside and behind, once you know that it's easy to find.

• 1 month later...

Samila Seafood, Hat Yai (Phone No. 074-351353)

Intended eating at the Samila Seafood restaurant on Thanon Sam Sip Met but it has shut down permanently it seems. So we went to the main Samila Seafood restaurant in Hat Yai on Sangsri Soi 2, just off Supasarnrangsan Road, turning opposite The Bed Hotel (the one with the black spotted facade).

They've made some changes since I last ate there five yeas ago, it's a little less shed like, though not by much, they also now have a Japanese food counter, so you get two menus to pick from. Emphasis is on good quality fresh seafood, you can go and pick your seafood from the ice filled displays if you wish. Service was fast and efficient whilst the food was excellent. We were five adults and a child and we had six main dishes, including a whole fish and several fresh crab, plus rice and vegetables and finally some Japanese ice cream. Total bill was Bht2,900 including drinks and alcohol. 

It's all about the food, it's a no frills building, formica topped tables and plastic chairs, it gets very busy with locals and Malaysian & Singaporean tourists, but service is fast and the food is very good.

Edited by Stocky

• 3 months later...

This one's been around for a couple years I think, but first time we've tried it.

De Van Cuisine (Tel: 074-351438)
Small neat restaurant on the corner of Prachathipat and Prachathipat Soi 2, about 500m from Lee Gardens. An extensive menu, with both à la carte and set meal options, plus a specials blackboard in Thai, but you can get an rough translation if you ask. Style is approximately French/Italian with an emphasis on meats and fish, with a good selection of beers and wines. Meats on offer include beef, pork, lamb and venison with both local and imported options, and a range of sausages. Prices are very reasonable, there were four of us plus a child, three course meal with beer and soft drinks was a very modest Bht2,600. Service was good, even though the restaurant was very busy, and most importantly the food looked and tasted great.

We'll be back.

On 2017-1-15 at 1:24 PM, Stocky said:

Samila Seafood, Hat Yai (Phone No. 074-351353)

Samila Seafood restaurant in Hat Yai on Sangsri Soi 2, just off Supasarnrangsan Road, turning opposite The Bed Hotel (the one with the black spotted facade).

Was there yesterday and note that they've added a large a/c room inside the 'shed', not a high priority for myself but the Malaysian tourists seemed to be enjoying it. Food and service as good as usual.