All Food Related, restaurants, reviews, best pizza, Thai food etc...

Seastallion

1 hour ago, Stocky said:

They've got rid of the huge great bar area, they've replaced the non-functional air con units but the peeling faux brick print wall paper and random saucepans remain, all part of the quirky look of the place. They've changed the tables, or maybe just got rid of the table cloths, I suspect the latter - allows for better cleaning, likely a Covid hangover.

How was the food? The pizza is still one of my favorites.

19 hours ago, recom273 said:

How was the food?

Excellent, I've never tried the pizzas there though they do look good.

I had the duck confit which was splendid, there was even a brussels sprout amongst the vegetables. Wife had the pork stuffed with parma ham and a mushroom duxelles, and granddaughter had the pork tenderloin with mushroom and truffle sauce. Starters we shared the crab crepe, and Thai salmon tartar, dessert was fruit and ice cream, strawberries in cream (they were sharp), and a chocolate surprise. 

Service was good, and the food came in the right order, all in all a very pleasant evening.

40 minutes ago, Stocky said:

Excellent, I've never tried the pizzas there though they do look good.

I had the duck confit which was splendid, there was even a brussels sprout amongst the vegetables. Wife had the pork stuffed with parma ham and a mushroom duxelles, and granddaughter had the pork tenderloin with mushroom and truffle sauce. Starters we shared the crab crepe, and Thai salmon tartar, dessert was fruit and ice cream, strawberries in cream (they were sharp), and a chocolate surprise. 

Service was good, and the food came in the right order, all in all a very pleasant evening.

Yes, I had the duck before - Its all flooding back now. I always enjoyed meals there, just the vibe and the service. I think spending so long in HY, you work out the menus never change, I remember Homless being another culprit, an great looking crew of chefs but no creativity, no weekly/daily/seasonal specials.

We have some great pizza places here in Khon Kaen, but I don't think it beats the quality of Japanese restaurants in HY - Mari Jang near the bus station and the one on the side road opposite Siam Nakarin building are still some of my favorite places in Thailand. We can get HY fried chicken in Issan, but like we gave up buying it, such a disappointment - there is nowhere that can compete with the morning places in HY Nai or the evening spot under the railway bridges near the central market.

Haven't you seen sprouts in HY before? I miss them very much, we usually found them in market behind the tiger temple / Sri Sawang Wong school.

On 6/5/2023 at 12:46 PM, recom273 said:

Haven't you seen sprouts in HY before?

Yes. but not normally in restaurants as part of the 'seasonal vegetable' offering; I like sprouts, but suspect more people don't.

The Marichan Japanese restaurant is still running, but there's no Japanese opposite the Siam Nakarin Complex anymore, I can't remember one there.

My personal favourite is still the Hashi, though I also like the Mushashi Isakaye too.

Edited by Stocky