Visa crackdown: Is this the end of the road for unqualified ESL teachers in Thailand?

• Replies 442
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Last time we heard about cleaning the immigration status of illegal workers, it was about the Cambodian nationals => they went back home but Thais realized they badly needed them => Cambodians came back.

Same story here? No => Thais DON'T NEED English teachers from abroad because millions Thais speak a perfect English and can teach to the children.

It's true. My wife and all her sisters speak excellent English. One is fluent in French as well.

• Like 2

There is a good point in the article about the schools having to get themselves in order too.

This is so true.

When I was teaching, I taught the first 3 months on a tourist visa as the school ensured me that the policy was for all new teachers to work a probation period, after which they'll sort out the Non-B.

When the 3 months was up and I needed to get my Non-B they sent me to Laos but they left out some crucial documentation that meant my Non-B visa was rejected upon application. I then had to re-enter Thailand on a 15 day visa exempt stamp (as it was then) to go back to the school so they could correct the mess.

Under the new rules, I wouldn't be able to re-enter and all because the school messed up the paperwork for my Non-B visa.

It turned out that a school director had forgotten to sign 3 pieces of paper! I then had to go back to Laos afterwards, which was like two trips in the space of a week, where I eventually got my Non-B but the whole episode was a major headache.

• Like 2

I always love when people say Thais could teach English. There are certainly fluent english speakers here, but they can command a much higher salary doing almost anything else than teaching. Having taught a number of Teacher Training camps, the 'fluency' of Thai English teachers is a major factor in Thai students scoring so low on competency tests. Also there are more than a few ESL certificates that are rigourous in their training and include observed classroom instruction and have a internationally standardized grading system. Why wouldn't these people be qualifed to teach? They would be in other countries.

I think you're talking about the DELTA/CELTA or Trinity TESOL. Those are all enough to teach ESL legally in Europe. They're also bloody expensive courses. (Level 5 professional qual above a HND and below a level 6 full hons degree). The problem is they can lumped in with Beach TEFLs by those without knowledge on the subject.

To Quote the OP..."Why would someone with a Bachelor Degree in Education come and work in Thailand when they can go to Japan or Korea and earn double that amount? Head to the UAE or Qatar and earn five, six or even seven times the amount an English teacher picks up in Thailand."

Is it possible the ‘TEFLers’ have forced that salary level down, schools will opt for the way cheaper option than

employing someone with a Bachelor Degree in Education...

Edited by pkkpaul
  • Like 1

Don't most countries have qualifications and working visa requirements for teachers? What's wrong with Thailand doing the same?

OT: I am just going to take a wild guess here: unqualified students with ED visas of convenience will be next in the clearing out.

• Like 2

How the heck cares? Thailand survived before these unqualified people showed up and Thailand will survive if they all leave

Thai people are still poor in English without without them

I am so tired of reading this malarky about "teachers this and teachers that"

If you cannot get a valid visa ... bye bye ... mai pen rai

• Like 2

Qualified English teachers??? Because a bachelors degree in zoology or computer science makes you a qualified English teacher....... What a joke.

If you have a TELF certificate, you are already a more qualified English teacher than some one with a degree in, say, astro-physics. 

Oops, that should say TEFL* certificate........

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Qualified English teachers??? Because a bachelors degree in zoology or computer science makes you a qualified English teacher....... What a joke.

If you have a TELF certificate, you are already a more qualified English teacher than some one with a degree in, say, astro-physics. 

Hmmmm......... a few months ago I was on the BTS and trapped listening to (I had no choice as there were talking above everyone else) a group of Americans bragging about how easy it was to teach English in BKK and all the stupid things their students said.....! Everyone of their ignorant, ill informed, grammatically incorrect sentences contained the word "like" between every few words, said with a whiney accent of course. No way would I let those TELF stars near an English language classroom.

• Like 2

Don't most countries have qualifications and working visa requirements for teachers? What's wrong with Thailand doing the same?

OT: I am just going to take a wild guess here: unqualified students with ED visas of convenience will be next in the clearing out.

In case you have only just woken up, it comes down to money, qualified people can make more in other countries, why come to Thailand and settle for maybe 30000 baht a month. Thailand needs english teachers more than english teachers needing Thailand. Hope this isn't to hard for you to understand.

If what you say is true Rorri ..... why do so many english teachers come here?

I would say it is the freedom, lifestyle and or women/ladyboys/men

for that there is a price to be, you must be qualified to stay