Travel To Chiangmai

Mar

Hello from Canada,

I will be arriving in Bangkok on April 1st. My original plan was to spend a week in BKK and then head south to the islands. I'm reconsidering my itinerary because of Songkran. I hear that Bangkok is a bit of a ghostown during that time and that Chiangmai is the place to be. Would anyone recommend I do this?

What is the best bet for transport from Kao San Road to Chiangmai? Prices? Travel time? What's my best way back down to the islands after? air?

Thanks!

> I will be arriving in Bangkok on April 1st. My original plan was to

> spend a week in BKK and then head south to the islands. I'm reconsidering

> my itinerary because of Songkran. I hear that Bangkok is a bit of a ghostown

> during that time and that Chiangmai is the place to be. Would anyone

> recommend I do this?

YES!

And if you want to experience Songkran, Chiang Mai is definitely the place to be. Go there before Friday 9 April, as many people will start their long Songkran holiday travels on that day. (Taking Monday 12 off or complimentary holiday, and 13, 14, 15 (16) being official holidays.)

> What is the best bet for transport from Kao San Road to Chiangmai?

Whatever you do, do *NOT* take the Khao San 'backpacker bus' you can book from almost every guesthouse and travel agent. Many reports of things stolen, delays or other hassle. If you go for it anyway (is IS cheap.. 150-200 baht even!) watch your belongings like a hawk and leave absolutely nothing of any value in your main bag/pack. I see reports from people all the time who had their bags searched through or find things missing. These buses are pretty much illegal and break even the few government rules that exist for bus travel. (Regular VIP bus will have 2 drivers for example)

Check out www.airasia.com for pricing on cheaper flights in that week. You can find about 1200 baht, 1 hr flight. Alternatives include rail (overnight, saves one hotel night :o, for 600-700 baht if you go for the nice second class aircon sleeper. Or bus from the Northern Terminal (Mor Chit), many afternoon and evening departures, 9-10 hour trip, 403 baht for aircon VIP bus. Can recommend Sombat Co. or Nakhorn Chai Air Co. , buy the ticket at the bus station. Not sure if Nakhon Chai have their website in order again, I think it allows web booking.. www.nca.co.th

My opinion: At 1200 baht, it's almost a no-brainer, though the train is more of an experience in itself. If you're on a seriously tight budget then consider bus.

> What's my best way back down to the islands after? air?

Well.. what islands? An island you can reach quckly overnight without flying would be Ko Samet. There's a direct bus from Chiang Mai to Rayong (Nakhon Chai Co. again) that seems to take forever and passes through what seems liek every little pronince in Central Thailand. Fast for Ko Samet would be to connect at Mor Chit to the Rayong bus.

Or if you're going to islands further south then you can fly, connecting in Bangkok unless you start in Phuket, there's a direct flight Chiang Mai -> Phuket on Thai Airways. Or do a combination of rail/bus and then fly. Or the other way around, for example arranging a train/ferry combo ticket at the railway station (can arrange this in CHiang Mai also), then fly to Bangkok and train/ferry from there.

Lots of options. ;-)

Cheers,

Chanchao

Guest IT Manager

If you look hard enough there are a scad of horror stories about tour buses, including the air cons, rolling and killing many people. The drivers are all loonies, and yes, I recently travelled on one.

As for air travel, use the 1,2 Go service from Orient Thai and put a few baht less in the families' collective pocket. Remember, it doesn't hurt to do the right thing, even if not the best thing.

You pay for what they get in the long run.

I am always amazed at the amount of buses I see crashed on the side of the road, recently my friend and I travelled through a provincial town and saw why, they go too fast through highly populated areas. IMHO I would not travel on the bus, but then again I have the funds, and a car so I can avoid them.

What ever you decide to do, TAKE CARE over the songkran holiday.

Best of luck, and I hope you enjoy your holiday.

I am always amazed at the amount of buses I see crashed on the side of the road, recently my friend and I travelled through a provincial town and saw why, they go too fast through highly populated areas. IMHO I would not travel on the bus, but then again I have the funds, and a car so I can avoid them.

LOL!!

(Well, actually more like a smirkish 'lol', bordering a sarcastic little gargle. Anyway.)

I think I saw quite a few crashed cars on the side of the road as well. :o Especially watch the area near police booths.

I mostly drive myself too when I need to have my own wheels on the other side, but I'm under no illusion that driving that distance isn't one of the most dangerous things you can do in Thailand.

If safety is a concern but you still want to go by bus, then take the Nakhon Chai bus. God these people drive slow, I think they have a policy of not going over 100km/h. Definitely far slower and more careful driving than I would, for sure. I mostly take the Sombat buses, who manage to keep some pace. :D I do note that the trip got a lot safer since the complete distance is now a 4 lane highway with divided lanes.

Cheers,

Chanchao

If safety is a concern but you still want to go by bus, then take the Nakhon Chai bus. God these people drive slow, I think they have a policy of not going over 100km/h.

Right. And there are 2 drivers so one can rest while the other one is driving. On a long distance trip as Bkk-CM, it's safer.

(sorry, wrote this post before reading your reply Adjan jb --edited)

As an aside on Nakhon Chai bus company, I know they actually give safety a high priority. All seats have seatbelts, and a safety video is shown before departure (like you get in airplanes). Also they make the driver introduce himself before the trip and promise to the passengers he will drive safely to the destination, also informing passengers about the expected travel time and number of stops for food and so on.

(Note that even on Thai airways you don't hear a bleep out of the captain until half way into the flight.. in the West, pilots mostly make some kind of announcement about the weather or anything before departure. I think that's a great thing to do.)

So I actually do have a lot of confidence in Nakhon Chai (have a look at their site at www.nca.co.th, no I don't own stock :o I'm under no impression that I can drive safer myself the whole distance than 2 of their drivers can, each getting half of the trip.

Cheers,

Chanchao

• 1 year later...

Just come back down with Thai which was a little bit peng at 4k bt plus but at least got Air miles.

Nice wee business lounge at domestic depts -Bangkok but the one in Chiang mai is shut for Renova.so gotta squeeze into the 1st Floor eating place (small seperate area ..free nibbles)

Chiangers incid was dry....

Take my advice....

Pay the extra and fly.

The buses are a killer.

I used them for years as they were cheap.

But hey so are the planes and you are there in less than an hour and a half........

Sorry, he can't take your advice, try replying in less than 18 months next time

Unless you really are too poor, then fly, coaches are dangerous and tedious

and the seats are awful for anyone above 5' 6".

Bangkok - Chiang mai - Bangkok can be had for Bt 1798 + tax (Can $ 52 +) with Air Asia (airasia.com) 1toGo, Nok Airways etc. :o Book early for best prices.

Edited by naka

Train for me.

Not the absolute cheapest but best value, much more of an experience than flying.

Comfy bed, wake up in the mountains and arrive CM ready for the day and early enough to get a nice room.

TIPS: Bring water to drink as the "drinking" water on board is iffy, if it exists at all.

Toilet paper, the bogs are filthy and never seem to have paper.

DO NOT EAT falang food on board, its awful.