Huge changes proposed for Phuket’s taxi and tuk-tuk system

webfact

Don't hold your breath, proposal after proposal, they have the backing of the army, are they going to police it ?

Give it six months and we all can review it, if its working ,well and good, but as in the past in this Country its been all hot air, and usually not followed through, lets hope im wrong this time.

If they do police it and half the taxi drivers disappear what then?

What do eg 3000-5000 unemployed taxi drivers do in a holiday resort?

I hate to think

Replace the falang scuba instructors and russian tour guides ?

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<snip>

Given this is true, The first two kilometers will cost passengers B50, three to 12 kilometers will cost B12 per km, distances beyond that will be charged at B10/km.

If a taxi from Patong to Kata is going to be around 140 baht - why would someone take a tuk-tuk for 400 baht?

this 140 baht idea will not be profitable or economic if the taxi driver has to drive back empty. I drive this route every day and it's about 12km. My fuel only costs are 4 baht/km so there and back = 96 baht. Add on insurance and maintenace. Slim profit for the driver. No need to be too harsh on the owner/drivers. But 400 - 500 baht in a clapped out old tuk tuk is far too much.

I was thinking the cost per km is not high enough, 10km per km is not going to crack it and will force the drivers to go off meter and offer a "deal" to their clients. In the UK rates are something in the region of £4.15 the first mile and £2 per mile thereafter (it will vary from council to council) and these guys don't get rich. Fuel is double in price compared to Thailand though. This needs more thinking through methinks

Don't hold your breath, proposal after proposal, they have the backing of the army, are they going to police it ?

Give it six months and we all can review it, if its working ,well and good, but as in the past in this Country its been all hot air, and usually not followed through, lets hope im wrong this time.

I hate to think

They can go back to where they came from or get a real job and have to work for a living? Nah, they're self entitled like so many around here that think they can just run an illegal business on public land…

Edited by Jimi007

hmmm a new taxi every six years. Low fares that everybody loves. Wake up people.

The idea is great but not sustainable. I get tired of everybody complaining from their fancy pancy lives.

clear the side walks so we can walk our dogs.

clear the beaches so we can sit on our &lt;deleted&gt; and enjoy the life.

close the motorcycle taxis so only a chosen few can do that business.

stop the tuk tuks freedom to charge what they feel they need to hire out their own time and vehicle.

jobs. jobs jobs to all you out there who have one or don't need one.

these people are not able to receive any welfare benefits. What would you rather they do ??

pick pockets and rob condominiums for food and money to care for those families or try their best to make

an honest living in exchange for a few inconveniences.

thousands of people are being put out of work at the moment.

leave them alone I say. And if you don't want to pay 500 baht to the taxi or tuk tuk, wave another one down.

his free choice to charge, your free choice to ride.

if you don't want to pay 200 baht to the copper , don't.!!! ask for a ticket and go to the police

station and pay a 2,000 baht fine like in your own country , if you want to be such a fine upstanding citizen.

We come here to get away from the chains of our governments and all anybody wants to do

is chain us all up again.

I love Thailand just the way it is.

Nice, they should also do something for Koh Samui. Even for 50 meters, they charge 200 bahts. Usually they try to get 300-800 for 1-10km...

Nobody EVER using meter here.

I don't ask same prices as Bangkok. But still, something more decent.

hmmm a new taxi every six years. Low fares that everybody loves. Wake up people.

The idea is great but not sustainable. I get tired of everybody complaining from their fancy pancy lives.

clear the beaches so we can sit on our <deleted> and enjoy the life.

stop the tuk tuks freedom to charge what they feel they need to hire out their own time and vehicle.

these people are not able to receive any welfare benefits. What would you rather they do ??

pick pockets and rob condominiums for food and money to care for those families or try their best to make

leave them alone I say. And if you don't want to pay 500 baht to the taxi or tuk tuk, wave another one down.

if you don't want to pay 200 baht to the copper , don't.!!! ask for a ticket and go to the police

station and pay a 2,000 baht fine like in your own country , if you want to be such a fine upstanding citizen.

We come here to get away from the chains of our governments and all anybody wants to do

Perhaps you could explain the success of the Pattaya baht bus system then. biggrin.png

Greenchair

I can only assume you have never set foot on Phuket because your reasoning is miles off. If individual Taxi/ Tuk tuk operators want to take their chance , in an open market , then good luck to them because they will need it.

The point is that they refuse to work in an open market , operate a cartel and block ( using threats and violence) any competion including private buses which would be hugely popular on inter beach routes.

Do you seriously believe that the residents and tourists are well served as things stand ?

so good to hear,i dream of a pattaya free of ''tour buses''these monsters dont belong in a city,they should be warehoused on sukumvit and the tour groups shuttled into town,or,at least stop using the tour buses for the tiffany shows and buffets...these tour buses have destroyed this city...

Greenchair

I can only assume you have never set foot on Phuket because your reasoning is miles off. If individual Taxi/ Tuk tuk operators want to take their chance , in an open market , then good luck to them because they will need it.

The point is that they refuse to work in an open market , operate a cartel and block ( using threats and violence) any competion including private buses which would be hugely popular on inter beach routes.

Do you seriously believe that the residents and tourists are well served as things stand ?

"Do you seriously believe that the residents and tourists are well served as things stand ?" - the residents are dying on motorbikes, and the western tourists are going elsewhere. The Russian and Chinese tourist, now the biggest market, have coach buses.

Transport on Phuket is clearly not working, for anyone, but particularly, the tourism industry.

You have sidewalks were you live in Phuket? We just had our dirt road paved for the first time ever about a year ago! The rest of your rant is what got Phuket to the point that only the Thai Army could take control and clear out all the over the top corruption and theft of public lands! Good luck paying off the police, they are afraid of the army, who are doing what's right for all Thais, not just those who pay for their position in government…

If any of you truly believe a taxi/limousine/tuktuk driver is about to give up his week's-earnings-in-one-day income here, you're deluded. The army'd have to open fire on them first w00t.gif

Tell when that is about to happen and I will fly over to watch!

I despise being ripped off by these #$%^

You have sidewalks were you live in Phuket? We just had our dirt road paved for the first time ever about a year ago! The rest of your rant is what got Phuket to the point that only the Thai Army could take control and clear out all the over the top corruption and theft of public lands! Good luck paying off the police, they are afraid of the army, who are doing what's right for all Thais, not just those who pay for their position in government…

You really do sound like a dinosaur soon to be extinct! Time maybe to move to Cambodia where your wild west lifestyle will be sustainable for a few more years. Thailand is finally trying to become civilised, and people like you have no place here.

What a troll! :lol:

You mister have never been to Thailand let alone Phuket, which is a topic of this discussion.

"try their best to make an honest living" cheesy.gif

They can "honestly" beat the shit out of you if you refuse to get in their car and pay when they demand. clap2.gif

You really do sound like a dinosaur soon to be extinct! Time maybe to move to Cambodia where your wild west lifestyle will be sustainable for a few more years. Thailand is finally trying to become civilised, and people like you have no place here.

I guess you are not responding to my post, but the post above mine? Carry on...

Edited by Jimi007

Jimi yes I think he was refering to the previous post. I share your views but lets not celebrate too soon , the time to congratulate the Junta is when all the illegal sites are cleared regardless of how well connected the owners are. When the first hi so businessman or crooked local politician goes to jail I will say job well done , until then its all talk.

Jimi yes I think he was refering to the previous post. I share your views but lets not celebrate too soon , the time to congratulate the Junta is when all the illegal sites are cleared regardless of how well connected the owners are. When the first hi so businessman or crooked local politician goes to jail I will say job well done , until then its all talk.

Well they are in power and aren't about to give it up.

Hopefully when the next govt takes over all the trash will be swept out of Thailand. Phuket is a good start.

• Like 1

Well they are in power and aren't about to give it up.

Hopefully when the next govt takes over all the trash will be swept out of Thailand. Phuket is a good start.

Yes we probably have the biggest pile of trash to clean up of any province, especially one that is so small. We have tons of trash that keeps getting bigger out at the incinerators that can't keep up. No real recycling program, no public transit and still we have all the corrupt politicians and police who paid a lot for their positions at the pork feed trough. I'm glad the army has said to the mayors and the governor, if you can't do your job and enforce the law, you will be replaced! It's a large problem that has been allowed to fester for too many years. It will take a few years to clean it up, if we're lucky. But they're off to a good start! They've done more than any appointed governor has done here ever, and they've done it in just a few months.

I hate to think

What a dumb ass reply !!

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I hate to think

What a dumb ass reply !!

Well, he does have a point. With the great number of illegal workers in both professions there will undoubtedly come up free places now.

I hate to think

What a dumb ass reply !!

Well, he does have a point. With the great number of illegal workers in both professions there will undoubtedly come up free places now.
Unfortunately those "retired" cabbies won't be any good at any of the 2 mentioned occupations. Not something they can learn over the weekend.

Sent from one of my mobiles, whatever mobile it is.

I hate to think

What a dumb ass reply !!

It isn't rocket science!

Nice, they should also do something for Koh Samui. Even for 50 meters, they charge 200 bahts. Usually they try to get 300-800 for 1-10km...

Nobody EVER using meter here.

I don't ask same prices as Bangkok. But still, something more decent.

I recently rode the high speed ferry from Don Sak and noticed that the ferry company was offering to take people anywhere on the island for 150 baht. I also saw that they offer a pick up from anywhere on the island to the ferry terminal for 150 baht. That should cut into the "600 baht to Bo Phut" crowd's business.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

The rates are about twice as expensive as in Bangkok.

Bangkok: 35 baht for first 2 km, then 5 baht per km.

Why not have the same rates as Bangkok - a congested city where taxis have no choice in extended traval times. The rates and distances proposed by Phuket are still expensive vs Bangkok and that just smacks of influential manipulation:

Bangkok Thb 35 first 3km - Phuket Thb 50 first 2km (effective Thb 75 firdt 3km)

Bangkok Thb 5 per km after that - Phuket Thb 10 to 12 Thb per km.

So this great proposal is still more than 100 percent on the cost of a taxi in Bangkok.

So it is still bullshit.

The flag fall fare of 35 Baht in Bangkok is for the first km only. And while the fare for additional distance does start out at 5 Baht/km, that fare is only up to a distance of 12 km, after that it incrementally increases with the distance and tops out at 8.5 Baht/km. Given the differences between Bangkok and Phuket, I think the proposed fares are quite reasonable for all parties.

Sophon

Edited by Sophon

A good step forward, but instead of "proposing", just make it the law. While officials are at it, make the tuk tuks also use metres ( and if they don't do so, they get fined 10K baht) as well as allow any licensed and regulated vehicle to pick up anyone anywhere. If any group gets caught threatening violence to any driver, away to gaol they go. Everyone has a phone with video recordings these days, so proof will be easy to come by.

It's not up to that guy to make the law. I don't see what you find so wrong with him proposing a solution. Do you think anyone should just be able to make up laws?

Well, if history for the last 15 years is anything to go by, the " taxi, tuk tuk associations" made up their own laws. They do not allow competition, they set their own boundaries, set their own fares, and beat up innocent passengers when they feel that they have lost face, or they simply felt like it. I could give you a lot of examples of the lawlessness of these thugs, but hey, google's your friend..

So if this has been allowed to happen for the last 15 years with the complicity of the local government, why shouldn't the military come in and declare their own law? BTW, the new law actually is trying to look out for the majority of the citizens, unlike the "law" the taxi tuk tuk associations declared for their personal fifedoms for the last 15 years.

The solution is to have proper enforceable laws. Not a different bunch of people just making up new laws.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Why not have the same rates as Bangkok - a congested city where taxis have no choice in extended traval times. The rates and distances proposed by Phuket are still expensive vs Bangkok and that just smacks of influential manipulation:

So this great proposal is still more than 100 percent on the cost of a taxi in Bangkok.

So it is still bullshit.

The flag fall fare of 35 Baht in Bangkok is for the first km only. And while the fare for additional distance does start out at 5 Baht/km, that fare is only up to a distance of 12 km, after that it incrementally increases with the distance and tops out at 8.5 Baht/km. Given the differences between Bangkok and Phuket, I think the proposed fares are quite reasonable for all parties.

Sophon

Given what differences? I took a taxi from Sukumvit Soi 4 to DMK for 300 Baht including 120 Baht in tolls! I thanked the driver and tipped him. I told him about what the idiots here in Phuket charge and he said: Oh, really, one fare and I'd be done for the day! They don't want to work! I got to Phuket and they wanted 900 Baht for about the same distance, no tolls, no hills, and just plain greed!

Edited by Jimi007

There are NORMAL buses at the airport that go to Patong and Phuket town.

They are parked outside arrivals way over on the left.

THERE IS NOT ONE SIGN IN ARRIVALS DIRECTING TOURISTS TO THESE BUSES. I used one last week and there were 3 people on it.

This is a disgrace, tell me another INTERNATIONAL airport in the world where buses are not readily available .................... none of course.

All this talk of a wonderful new Taxi / Tuk Tuk service. BUT NO MENTION OF AN AIRPORT BUS SERVICE and of course we all know why !!!!!

Come on guys, lets have some support here for a bus service.

• Like 1

There are NORMAL buses at the airport that go to Patong and Phuket town.

They are parked outside arrivals way over on the left.

THERE IS NOT ONE SIGN IN ARRIVALS DIRECTING TOURISTS TO THESE BUSES. I used one last week and there were 3 people on it.

This is a disgrace, tell me another INTERNATIONAL airport in the world where buses are not readily available .................... none of course.

All this talk of a wonderful new Taxi / Tuk Tuk service. BUT NO MENTION OF AN AIRPORT BUS SERVICE and of course we all know why !!!!!

Come on guys, lets have some support here for a bus service.

And if any tourists asks where to find these buses then they are told 'there are no buses' - let me arrange a taxi for you ...

• Like 1

So it is still bullshit.

Sophon

Given what differences? I took a taxi from Sukumvit Soi 4 to DMK for 300 Baht including 120 Baht in tolls! I thanked the driver and tipped him. I told him about what the idiots here in Phuket charge and he said: Oh, really, one fare and I'd be done for the day! They don't want to work! I got to Phuket and they wanted 900 Baht for about the same distance, no tolls, no hills, and just plain greed!

The difference between a major city and a (comparatively) sparsely populated island. A taxi driver in Bangkok has a much better chance of getting a return fare wherever he is going than a taxi driver in Phuket.

With the proposed fares the trip you quote would cost close to the same price in Phuket as it does in Bangkok (unless they introduce tolls).

Sophon