Huge changes proposed for Phuket’s taxi and tuk-tuk system

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks LIK for the link in the other thread.

It will be interesting how the unmetered tuk-tuks compete with pricing against air conditioned metered taxis.

They would want to be a lot cheaper, or they will go broke, real fast.

I would like to see them make tuk-tuks flat fare. Eg. Patong to Kata - XXX baht. No haggling. No threats of violence. No changing of the price at the other end.

If the Phuket tuk-tuks refuse to opereate like baht buses, make them just like an ordinary bus - customers pay flat fare.

Edited by NamKangMan

“The vehicles used must be no more than six years old, and must have engine capacities of at least 1,500cc.” I suppose that's just for meter taxis.

What about Tuk Tuks or will they be exempt as are the Green Plate "limo mafia at the airport?" Rhetorical question asked and answered...

• Like 1

It will be interesting how the unmetered tuk-tuks compete with pricing against air conditioned metered taxis.

I would like to see them make tuk-tuks flat fare. Eg. Patong to Kata - XXX baht. No haggling. No threats of violence. No changing of the price at the other end.

If the Phuket tuk-tuks refuse to opereate like baht buses, make them just like an ordinary bus - customers pay flat fare.

No need for them to be cheaper, lots of people like them over a/c sitting inside taxi's. Or do you mean cheaper as compared to present prices?

No need for them to be cheaper, lots of people like them over a/c sitting inside taxi's. Or do you mean cheaper as compared to present prices?

"Or do you mean cheaper as compared to present prices?" - yes, that's what I mean.

Given this is true, “The first two kilometers will cost passengers B50, three to 12 kilometers will cost B12 per km, distances beyond that will be charged at B10/km.”

If a taxi from Patong to Kata is going to be around 140 baht - why would someone take a tuk-tuk for 400 baht?

In fact, even if the tuk-tuks matched the metered taxi rate of approximately 140 baht - why would an individual, or a group less then 4 persons, take a tuk-tuk?

• Like 1

<snip>

Given this is true, The first two kilometers will cost passengers B50, three to 12 kilometers will cost B12 per km, distances beyond that will be charged at B10/km.

If a taxi from Patong to Kata is going to be around 140 baht - why would someone take a tuk-tuk for 400 baht?

this 140 baht idea will not be profitable or economic if the taxi driver has to drive back empty. I drive this route every day and it's about 12km. My fuel only costs are 4 baht/km so there and back = 96 baht. Add on insurance and maintenace. Slim profit for the driver. No need to be too harsh on the owner/drivers. But 400 - 500 baht in a clapped out old tuk tuk is far too much.

• Like 1

<snip>

Given this is true, The first two kilometers will cost passengers B50, three to 12 kilometers will cost B12 per km, distances beyond that will be charged at B10/km.

this 140 baht idea will not be profitable or economic if the taxi driver has to drive back empty. I drive this route every day and it's about 12km. My fuel only costs are 4 baht/km so there and back = 96 baht. Add on insurance and maintenace. Slim profit for the driver. No need to be too harsh on the owner/drivers. But 400 - 500 baht in a clapped out old tuk tuk is far too much.

Can't see LPG/Cng taxis spending 4 baht km perhaps 2 so they would have a 200 percent markup to take their expenses out of even if they did not get a return fare,don't feel sorry for them or it will be back to square one.

Edited by kartman
  • Like 2

A good step forward, but instead of "proposing", just make it the law. While officials are at it, make the tuk tuks also use metres ( and if they don't do so, they get fined 10K baht) as well as allow any licensed and regulated vehicle to pick up anyone anywhere. If any group gets caught threatening violence to any driver, away to gaol they go. Everyone has a phone with video recordings these days, so proof will be easy to come by.

It's not up to that guy to make the law. I don't see what you find so wrong with him proposing a solution. Do you think anyone should just be able to make up laws?

• Like 1

A good step forward, but instead of "proposing", just make it the law. While officials are at it, make the tuk tuks also use metres ( and if they don't do so, they get fined 10K baht) as well as allow any licensed and regulated vehicle to pick up anyone anywhere. If any group gets caught threatening violence to any driver, away to gaol they go. Everyone has a phone with video recordings these days, so proof will be easy to come by.

It's not up to that guy to make the law. I don't see what you find so wrong with him proposing a solution. Do you think anyone should just be able to make up laws?

Well they made a "law" that it was okay to charge at least 900฿ for a Taxi from HKT to Rawai, so why not make a "law" to lower it to something reasonable? I told a Bangkok taxi driver about Phuket taxis. He said; one fare and I'd be done for the day! What? Not have to work? He was as disgusted as I've been lately over the BS that's been allowed to go on around here! This BS about: I'm local, so I can control public land and public transportation needs to stop!

Edited by Jimi007