Huge changes proposed for Phuket’s taxi and tuk-tuk system

webfact

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A good step forward, but instead of "proposing", just make it the law. While officials are at it, make the tuk tuks also use metres ( and if they don't do so, they get fined 10K baht) as well as allow any licensed and regulated vehicle to pick up anyone anywhere. If any group gets caught threatening violence to any driver, away to gaol they go. Everyone has a phone with video recordings these days, so proof will be easy to come by.

I can understand the confusion here, as our US friends have a non-metric system, but 'METERS' are used for measuring things such as power and water, and METRES is the INTERNATIONAL system for measurement - kilometres, millimetres.

Don't hold your breath, proposal after proposal, they have the backing of the army, are they going to police it ?

Give it six months and we all can review it, if its working ,well and good, but as in the past in this Country its been all hot air, and usually not followed through, lets hope im wrong this time.

Edited by phanangpete

Why not have the same rates as Bangkok - a congested city where taxis have no choice in extended traval times. The rates and distances proposed by Phuket are still expensive vs Bangkok and that just smacks of influential manipulation:

Bangkok Thb 35 first 3km - Phuket Thb 50 first 2km (effective Thb 75 firdt 3km)

Bangkok Thb 5 per km after that - Phuket Thb 10 to 12 Thb per km.

So this great proposal is still more than 100 percent on the cost of a taxi in Bangkok.

So it is still bullshit.

Everything in Phuket is 100 percent more expensive than Bangkok.

Why it remains a popular tourist destination remains a mind boggling mystery to me.

as far as Taxis goes there's about 350 customers per head in Phuket while in Bangkok there's about 250

Considering most people are concentrated in one small area in Phuket.......The Beach there's little wonder prices are so high.

Too many taxis not enough people

Don't hold your breath, proposal after proposal, they have the backing of the army, are they going to police it ?

Give it six months and we all can review it, if its working ,well and good, but as in the past in this Country its been all hot air, and usually not followed through, lets hope im wrong this time.

If they do police it and half the taxi drivers disappear what then?

What do eg 3000-5000 unemployed taxi drivers do in a holiday resort?

I hate to think

Edited by Tanlic

If they do police it and half the taxi drivers disappear what then?

What do eg 3000-5000 unemployed taxi drivers do in a holiday resort?

I hate to think

smile.png .... that's when your Thai friends will tell you : "Don't think too much!" wai.gif

• Like 2

Very nice move, and a bit ouverdue I guess.

Last month my family vacation to Phuket literally got spoiled becuase of unreasonable and illegal demand of taxi drivers at every step.

Taxi guys were far more innivative than just overcharging. Has anyone heard of a rule that says no more than two passengers per taxi. I found it atrocious.

I feel that Phuket tends to lse majorly on its status as a favourite tourist destination becuase of Txi-Trouble. Best part is that when tourists dry up the taxi drivers can simply drive away and start operating in some other location. But what about the rest of hospitality industry who have millions and billions invested in immovable property?

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Thanks LIK for the link in the other thread.

It will be interesting how the unmetered tuk-tuks compete with pricing against air conditioned metered taxis.

They would want to be a lot cheaper, or they will go broke, real fast.

I would like to see them make tuk-tuks flat fare. Eg. Patong to Kata - XXX baht. No haggling. No threats of violence. No changing of the price at the other end.

If the Phuket tuk-tuks refuse to opereate like baht buses, make them just like an ordinary bus - customers pay flat fare.

"I would like to see them make tuk-tuks flat fare. Eg. Patong to Kata - XXX baht. No haggling. No threats of violence. No changing of the price at the other end. "

All tuk-tuk drivers change the price when you arrive destination, have always done and will always do, if you not accept be ready to get beaten up or in worst case stabbed.

My advice: avoid tuk-tuks at all cost coffee1.gif

• Like 1

“The vehicles used must be no more than six years old, and must have engine capacities of at least 1,500cc.” I suppose that's just for meter taxis.

What about Tuk Tuks or will they be exempt as are the Green Plate "limo mafia at the airport?" Rhetorical question asked and answered...

I think the 'no more than six years old' is wrong. the road worthyness of a car is far more important than it's age.

If any of you truly believe a taxi/limousine/tuktuk driver is about to give up his week's-earnings-in-one-day income here, you're deluded. The army'd have to open fire on them first w00t.gif

Only 2/3 weeks ago in broad daylight at Victory Monument, a nice looking lady (Dressed like a Teacher?)
could not get in a Taxi - because he only offered Ferang Price.

She was very angry at his arrogance, slammed the door and gave him the finger,

followed by, "F... You TOO!"

Still every-day Bangkok

But as an infrequent taxi user, I have found many more Taxis saying "yes"

to my second question "Meter?"

Last year I visited a place 3 different times (Day Light)

Usually THB 80. But on one occasion, 4/5 Taxis refused anything less than THB 200.

(I gave up on Night-Time Mafia, long ago - Piracy on the High Road)

Hope Taxis become user friendly again -

I always tip the honest ones 10- 30%

If any of you truly believe a taxi/limousine/tuktuk driver is about to give up his week's-earnings-in-one-day income here, you're deluded. The army'd have to open fire on them first w00t.gif

And that would be a bad thing why??coffee1.gif Personally, I would love to see it happen. biggrin.png

• Like 2

...they sit around all day waiting for the big fish whilst most tourist walk off shaking their heads -

at ALL THAI People !

I invite the Army to come to Koh Samui and establish the same price structure here for the taxi's of Samui.

At present the rates charged are about 10 times that of Bangkok !

Why not have the same rates as Bangkok - a congested city where taxis have no choice in extended traval times. The rates and distances proposed by Phuket are still expensive vs Bangkok and that just smacks of influential manipulation:

Bangkok Thb 35 first 3km - Phuket Thb 50 first 2km (effective Thb 75 firdt 3km)

Bangkok Thb 5 per km after that - Phuket Thb 10 to 12 Thb per km.

So this great proposal is still more than 100 percent on the cost of a taxi in Bangkok.

So it is still bullshit.

To be fair, it's not a total sham.

You have to remember the height differencies in Phuket.

When I drive over the hills to Kata, Patong, Kamala, my car gets real thirsty, not under 1 litre per 10Km whilest going on the east side it consumes 1 litre per 13km.

This hike compared to BKK, I do understand.

Where are the hills between the airport and Rawai then? Or Phuket Town? Should the fare to those destinations be cheaper due to topography?

if I get a driver with a heavy right foot who uses a lot of fuel, can he charge more than one who drives economically? And what if it's an LPG or NGV vehicle? Should it be a cheaper fare?

You are opening up a can of worms by differentiating in any way.

No, the answer lies in supply and demand. Too low a fare will result in too few taxis. Too high a fare, too few passengers. With the proviso that passengers need protection because tourists often have no choice but to use taxis. But whatever the fare, it shown be clearly displayed on a correctly calibrated meter. That way it is never a rip off, even if the meter rate ends up being set at a level that is expensive.

I agree with KamalaRider and why not? I think it's reasonable to have higher rates (comparing to BKK) based on the hilly region. It is silly to make a comparison based on individual routes or how heavy is driver's foot. Yes some routes aren't hilly but some are. Over a month long time frame any driver would spend some time taking all types of flat and hilly trips around the island.

Besides, again comparing to BKK with its evenly distributed population, most of the Phuket population is near the cost and so a lot of times drivers will go back empty, higher rates will slightly compensate for it. BKK drivers always have a very good chance of getting another customer while dropping someone off. Have you ever tried getting BKK metered taxi (at the airport or from the city) to take you OUT of the city? Pattaya? Sattahip? Etc? They won't go unless you pay the double meter rate or agree to a fixed rate. This may even be mentioned in their rules and regulations, I don't know, but it is reasonable. Otherwise they would be working out of their own pocket.

• Like 1

Has anyone heard of a rule that says no more than two passengers per taxi. I found it atrocious.

I had one goof trying similar trick on me in BKK. My sister came to visit me in Thailand, we were returning from Auythaya and were dropped off from the bus near the Khao San road I think (that was years back so don't really remember). As there were many tourists disembarking the bus, a swarm or taxi stouts came over and started getting their customers. I started walking straight out of there to flag a cab away from this mess but one of the guys kept following us asking " where you go, where you go". So I told him and right then got his more than double inflated rate, I said NO! Meter! He dropped his rate somehow and before I repeated my "no, use meter", he added "for each", I just burst up laughing, told him to get lost, turned around and walked away.

Will this apply to all taxis or just black plate taxis? Who will enforce the law? A similar thing was agreed to in the long lost land of Samui years ago. The drivers abided by the law for two weeks. No enforcement whatsoever, as is always the case on Samui. Land of the forgotten. Any improvement would be welcome. The taxis and Tuk Tuks are a festering boil on the face of Phuket.

Spidermike007

NOW SAMUI !!!

Well, sounds good, Army really do the work. Please do same in Samui,

they do not even have meters in car and do not open the door fr less than 300 baht.

This is outrageous....

If there's no regulated taxi service, then unfortunately the locals could charge whatever THEY want to let you into THEIR car. Kind of like what was happening in Phuket except in Phuket there was organized mafia enforcing their prices, their territorial rules and bullying the honest drivers. Without mafia's influence it would have been a free market which would have kept the prices fairly low.

This is a wrong policy to have a specific standart for taxi fare in Phuket ( double than Bangkok) and it is not fair , first it is not justified , secondly it will continue to attract people from outside Phuket to come as taxi here so this will encourage black taxi activity.

Why not to applie the same policy as Bangkok ??? and why not to impose one car color for all Phuket taxis .To allow personal cars , even with stickers , is again favorising black taxi activity.

A simple way should be to fix one rule for all Thailand.

One reasonable solution would open the transportation space for inter-beach busses. Who knows, with this new army led climate, it might even be possible.

Main transportation between beaches, to the town and norther Phuket would be done with local busses. Some people would still use taxis.

Taxis no longer are allowed to have zones. All taxis are allowed to take customers from everywhere on the island. This would allow taxis to have customers both ways on their trips therefore reduce the gasoline costs.

I hope at some point there will be much more LPG stations on the island. This is also to reduce the costs for the cars. I guess the baht/km cost is about 1/2 or even 1/3 while driving with LPG compared to gasoline.