Huge changes proposed for Phuket’s taxi and tuk-tuk system

webfact

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks LIK for the link in the other thread.

It will be interesting how the unmetered tuk-tuks compete with pricing against air conditioned metered taxis.

They would want to be a lot cheaper, or they will go broke, real fast.

I would like to see them make tuk-tuks flat fare. Eg. Patong to Kata - XXX baht. No haggling. No threats of violence. No changing of the price at the other end.

If the Phuket tuk-tuks refuse to opereate like baht buses, make them just like an ordinary bus - customers pay flat fare.

Edited by NamKangMan

“The vehicles used must be no more than six years old, and must have engine capacities of at least 1,500cc.” I suppose that's just for meter taxis.

What about Tuk Tuks or will they be exempt as are the Green Plate "limo mafia at the airport?" Rhetorical question asked and answered...

• Like 1

It will be interesting how the unmetered tuk-tuks compete with pricing against air conditioned metered taxis.

I would like to see them make tuk-tuks flat fare. Eg. Patong to Kata - XXX baht. No haggling. No threats of violence. No changing of the price at the other end.

If the Phuket tuk-tuks refuse to opereate like baht buses, make them just like an ordinary bus - customers pay flat fare.

No need for them to be cheaper, lots of people like them over a/c sitting inside taxi's. Or do you mean cheaper as compared to present prices?

No need for them to be cheaper, lots of people like them over a/c sitting inside taxi's. Or do you mean cheaper as compared to present prices?

"Or do you mean cheaper as compared to present prices?" - yes, that's what I mean.

Given this is true, “The first two kilometers will cost passengers B50, three to 12 kilometers will cost B12 per km, distances beyond that will be charged at B10/km.”

If a taxi from Patong to Kata is going to be around 140 baht - why would someone take a tuk-tuk for 400 baht?

In fact, even if the tuk-tuks matched the metered taxi rate of approximately 140 baht - why would an individual, or a group less then 4 persons, take a tuk-tuk?

• Like 1

<snip>

Given this is true, The first two kilometers will cost passengers B50, three to 12 kilometers will cost B12 per km, distances beyond that will be charged at B10/km.

If a taxi from Patong to Kata is going to be around 140 baht - why would someone take a tuk-tuk for 400 baht?

this 140 baht idea will not be profitable or economic if the taxi driver has to drive back empty. I drive this route every day and it's about 12km. My fuel only costs are 4 baht/km so there and back = 96 baht. Add on insurance and maintenace. Slim profit for the driver. No need to be too harsh on the owner/drivers. But 400 - 500 baht in a clapped out old tuk tuk is far too much.

• Like 1

<snip>

Given this is true, The first two kilometers will cost passengers B50, three to 12 kilometers will cost B12 per km, distances beyond that will be charged at B10/km.

this 140 baht idea will not be profitable or economic if the taxi driver has to drive back empty. I drive this route every day and it's about 12km. My fuel only costs are 4 baht/km so there and back = 96 baht. Add on insurance and maintenace. Slim profit for the driver. No need to be too harsh on the owner/drivers. But 400 - 500 baht in a clapped out old tuk tuk is far too much.

Can't see LPG/Cng taxis spending 4 baht km perhaps 2 so they would have a 200 percent markup to take their expenses out of even if they did not get a return fare,don't feel sorry for them or it will be back to square one.

Edited by kartman
  • Like 2

A good step forward, but instead of "proposing", just make it the law. While officials are at it, make the tuk tuks also use metres ( and if they don't do so, they get fined 10K baht) as well as allow any licensed and regulated vehicle to pick up anyone anywhere. If any group gets caught threatening violence to any driver, away to gaol they go. Everyone has a phone with video recordings these days, so proof will be easy to come by.

It's not up to that guy to make the law. I don't see what you find so wrong with him proposing a solution. Do you think anyone should just be able to make up laws?

• Like 1

A good step forward, but instead of "proposing", just make it the law. While officials are at it, make the tuk tuks also use metres ( and if they don't do so, they get fined 10K baht) as well as allow any licensed and regulated vehicle to pick up anyone anywhere. If any group gets caught threatening violence to any driver, away to gaol they go. Everyone has a phone with video recordings these days, so proof will be easy to come by.

It's not up to that guy to make the law. I don't see what you find so wrong with him proposing a solution. Do you think anyone should just be able to make up laws?

Well they made a "law" that it was okay to charge at least 900฿ for a Taxi from HKT to Rawai, so why not make a "law" to lower it to something reasonable? I told a Bangkok taxi driver about Phuket taxis. He said; one fare and I'd be done for the day! What? Not have to work? He was as disgusted as I've been lately over the BS that's been allowed to go on around here! This BS about: I'm local, so I can control public land and public transportation needs to stop!

Edited by Jimi007

Tuktuks in Bangkok often cost much more than taxis so would probably be the same in Phuket. As long as metered taxis are readily available I think many in Phuket would avoid using Tuktuks...especially if they know how these people operate

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

I agree, just give them 30 days to comply and then come down on any that are illegal. All this 'warning' is a load of crap as it is already known that they will only do what they are forced to do.

Can some one please explain Black, Green and Yellow plates. Also, what is the use, advantage and reason for Limousines when there are many perfectly good taxis, surely this yet another chance to rip someone off with exorbinate rates.

Can we have Pattaya style Baht Busses please too that charge at the same rate as they do in Patts.

First time I was in Pattaya the baht bus driver's eyes nearly popped out of his head when I got a hundred and fifty out and asked if it was enough. My "friend" grabbed my cash and gave him a twenty and dragged me off whilst enquiring something to the tune of whether I had lost my mind. Never got the 150 back though.

Thank you.

SDM

The bht buses on Samui will rip anyone off if they can. I recently hopped on one from Maenam to the Naton-Donsak ferry terminal, living here i know that the rate should be 60 bht. On arrival, 5 people obviously tourists, who boarded with me were charge Bht150 each. When he tried it on me, i just gave him bht 60 with a nice smiling "cop kun krup" and walked away listening to his yells !

Edited by oldsailor35

It's so simple isn't it. Both identifying the problem with its component parts and the solution.

Will the proposals be implemented and enforced on an ongoing basis? Let's just say I am hoping for the best, but planning for the worst. Particularly with the latter bit.

<snip>

I can asure you it will be profitable, otherwise the Taxi's in BKK wouldn't still exist.

Although, the profit wouldn't be as it is today when a Tuk tuk driver can buy a brand new Fortuner in cash and next year buy the newest model, year after year.

Don't feel sorry for these rats. Yeez, I just insulted the family Rattus.

Your post reminds me of a joke I always make with newcomers to Thailand when they arrive in Bangkok and find out that Tuk Tuks are by far the most expensive mode of transport :

Question : Why are Bangkok Tuk Tuks more expensive than car-taxis and motorbikes ?

Answer : Because they combine the inconvenients of both.

• Like 1

Why not have the same rates as Bangkok - a congested city where taxis have no choice in extended traval times. The rates and distances proposed by Phuket are still expensive vs Bangkok and that just smacks of influential manipulation:

Bangkok Thb 35 first 3km - Phuket Thb 50 first 2km (effective Thb 75 firdt 3km)

Bangkok Thb 5 per km after that - Phuket Thb 10 to 12 Thb per km.

So this great proposal is still more than 100 percent on the cost of a taxi in Bangkok.

So it is still bullshit.

Everything in Phuket is 100 percent more expensive than Bangkok.

Why it remains a popular tourist destination remains a mind boggling mystery to me.

Why not have the same rates as Bangkok - a congested city where taxis have no choice in extended traval times. The rates and distances proposed by Phuket are still expensive vs Bangkok and that just smacks of influential manipulation:

Bangkok Thb 35 first 3km - Phuket Thb 50 first 2km (effective Thb 75 firdt 3km)

Bangkok Thb 5 per km after that - Phuket Thb 10 to 12 Thb per km.

So this great proposal is still more than 100 percent on the cost of a taxi in Bangkok.

So it is still bullshit.

To be fair, it's not a total sham.

You have to remember the height differencies in Phuket.

When I drive over the hills to Kata, Patong, Kamala, my car gets real thirsty, not under 1 litre per 10Km whilest going on the east side it consumes 1 litre per 13km.

This hike compared to BKK, I do understand.

Where are the hills between the airport and Rawai then? Or Phuket Town? Should the fare to those destinations be cheaper due to topography?

if I get a driver with a heavy right foot who uses a lot of fuel, can he charge more than one who drives economically? And what if it's an LPG or NGV vehicle? Should it be a cheaper fare?

You are opening up a can of worms by differentiating in any way.

No, the answer lies in supply and demand. Too low a fare will result in too few taxis. Too high a fare, too few passengers. With the proviso that passengers need protection because tourists often have no choice but to use taxis. But whatever the fare, it shown be clearly displayed on a correctly calibrated meter. That way it is never a rip off, even if the meter rate ends up being set at a level that is expensive.