Homeless guy, Farang, in Hat Yai

Seastallion

On Wednesday, wifey and I went to Robinsons, Hat Yai. Parked up on the road near the train station. As we approached the corner, there was a farang sitting on the ground in a corner going through a rubbish sack and eating scraps.

My first instinct was to approach him and offer help, but his appearance (slightly deranged) and our own mission (urgent) meant we walked on by. His strange appearance aside, I resolved to do something when we came back out of Robinsons, but he was gone by then.

I have regretted that I didn't do something at first ever since.

I wonder if anyone has seen this guy. I wonder if he is known.

He had the oddest look; he had a ring of facial hair around his mouth. Not a moustache and goatee, his chin was bare and so was under his nose, just facial hair surrounding his mouth.

It's an unusual situation for Hat Yai, I guess.

Thoughts? Advice? Comments?

Are you sure he's a f-®ang? Lots of f-®ang look alikes I've seen over in Myanmar, like Nepalese or even some (white-skinned, not albino, with blond hair and blue [but squinted] eyes) that were speaking some dialect of Chinese. Only thing I could think of after you described his strange facial hair.

Are you sure he's a f-®ang? Lots of f-®ang look alikes I've seen over in Myanmar, like Nepalese or even some (white-skinned, not albino, with blond hair and blue [but squinted] eyes) that were speaking some dialect of Chinese. Only thing I could think of after you described his strange facial hair.

I take your point, but I definitely place him as western....minutiae that I can't verbalise.

The facial hair thing is what strikes me as so odd (for any culture) and made/makes me think he has a mental condition.

I have NEVER seen that type of facial hair style in my life, not in movies or anywhere......but it does indicate that he shaves and cultivates the look.....which in turn indicates that he has some sort of resources.

It's very odd.

Have any Hat Yaians seen this guy?

Over the past few years I've seen two homeless westerners in HY. About eight years ago there was one chap in his late 50s or early 60s hanging out near Nipan Uhtit 3, the police ignored him and left him to beg as he wasn't aggressive. Around four or five years ago there was a younger one sleeping outside Carrefour (now Big C Xtra) during the day. Once again no one bothered him as he never caused problems for anyone.

I'll make a couple of calls tomorrow and see if anyone knows about his background. I'll report back.

I have a feeling it may be a person who used to be well respected in HY but started hitting the bottle harder than most a couple of years ago and lost his well paying job, friends and apartment. I never found out what happened after he became a full time alcoholic but it wouldn't surprise me to learn it's him.

• Like 2

Update: I phoned a couple of friends in HY and they've seen this chap over the past couple of months but never spoken to him as he looks quite scary. Yes, he's been spotted around the train station area but is once again ignored, invisible to the locals as they don't want to get involved.

No it wasn't who I thought it could be. My question is "Will this man be picked up for over staying or just left alone?". I'd put my money on being left alone as the authorities understand he'd just be a drain on the taxpayers if they put him in the deportation centre. Nobody's going to pay his airfare so he's stuck there.

I'm not sure how I feel about helping out homeless farangs as I know that they can go to any temple for food and shelter like the Thai homeless do. If they have a mental illness or addiction then there's not much we could do unless you have deep pockets, patience and the time to befriend them.

Sad and shocking to see nonetheless.

• Like 2

Update: I phoned a couple of friends in HY and they've seen this chap over the past couple of months but never spoken to him as he looks quite scary. Yes, he's been spotted around the train station area but is once again ignored, invisible to the locals as they don't want to get involved.

No it wasn't who I thought it could be. My question is "Will this man be picked up for over staying or just left alone?". I'd put my money on being left alone as the authorities understand he'd just be a drain on the taxpayers if they put him in the deportation centre. Nobody's going to pay his airfare so he's stuck there.

I'm not sure how I feel about helping out homeless farangs as I know that they can go to any temple for food and shelter like the Thai homeless do. If they have a mental illness or addiction then there's not much we could do unless you have deep pockets, patience and the time to befriend them.

Sad and shocking to see nonetheless.

Well, I've been feeling regret that I didn't make an offer of help, but feel slightly vindicated now that others agree he looks strange....yep, I too would say scary.

He was smiling at passersby as he fingered and ate the slop in the rubbish bag. Very disturbing.

As I noted, he must have some resources because albeit he was sitting on the ground eating rubbish, he looked relatively clean.

Very odd.

It sounds like he would stand out in Haad Yai a lot more than in Bangkok, Phuket or Pattaya, where homeless farang are not so uncommon.

The fact that he is scavenging, as opposed to begging, is good, imho.

Will keep an eye out for him next time I hit the big city.

Is there any welfare group to help destitute falangs? For example, accumulate resources to send them back to their country?

I doubt there's any sort of welfare group such as that in Thailand. Can you imagine how people would try and abuse it? Spend all their money, sell their belongings and then try and get their ticket home for free.

Being homeless in Thailand is far better for them as the climate is warmer than in the west. I hate to imagine being homeless and trying to keep warm during the winter months in the UK.

• Like 1

About five years ago there was a farang beggar who'd stand outside Central near the Novotel asking for cash.

I've not seen your guy or any farang in Hat Yai searching bin bags, though I've seen that in Bangkok.

In Phuket they actually have a shelter for tourists in distress, on the grounds of the regional Tourist Police headquarters in Phuket Town.

Not sure if it still is, but I think it was the only one in Thailand when it opened about five years ago.

"Guests" range from those who have been cheated/robbed to, for lack of a better term, "international hobos"..some of which get deported and then return.

Scandinavians are well represented.

Speaking of people in need....a few weeks ago, one evening, wifey got a phone call from her friend. There was a farang woman at the tour company office across the road from where she lives who had been dropped off there by the minivan. The van was supposed to take her all the way to the Malaysian border but was running late so just dumped har at the agent's office with no explanation.

She had come from Koh Phangan (apparently), had been teaching there for 3 years, and was on her visa run. Nobody at the agent's office knew anything or could help her (it's all the driver's fault).

Anyway, I spoke to her over the phone and she was in tears, had no idea where she was, and apparently had no money because she'd booked her accomodation in Malaysia and paid already. (Don't know how she was planning to eat, or buy more cigarettes as she had just run out)...

The locals weren't helping much (but had given her a cup of tea and a seat, and had sought my help), so I went to see her. Wifey didn't want to put her up for the night (I don't blame her) so we took her to a nearby guesthouse, paid for the night, gave her 100 bht for breakfast and half my pack of ciggies and told her NOT to miss the van the next morning.

End of story.

As she was not homeless and had a job, but was just in a bad situation, it would have been nice, and an encouragement to help someone again in the future, if we had heard back from her, because we are not rich by any measurement and that 500 bht spent actually was felt.

So, Catherine from London who teaches on Koh Phangan, I hope you pass it forward.

I'm sorry but to do a visa run with no back up funds if things go wrong is just insane. Further words fail me!

For once. tongue.png

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Same as weegee, I've been down to Hat Yai a couple of times since this thread opened but haven't seen him downtown. Parked outside Robinson's near the train station, had a walk around and asked a motorcycle taxi driver I know but he hasn't been seen recently.

• 3 weeks later...

Is there any welfare group to help destitute falangs? For example, accumulate resources to send them back to their country?

I doubt there's any sort of welfare group such as that in Thailand. Can you imagine how people would try and abuse it? Spend all their money, sell their belongings and then try and get their ticket home for free.

Being homeless in Thailand is far better for them as the climate is warmer than in the west. I hate to imagine being homeless and trying to keep warm during the winter months in the UK.

You think it would be abused any more here than welfare is abused in the West? It's the management of the welfare that matters.

And, in cold Western climates a simple brick through a window may give you three squares and a warm cot.

You think it would be abused any more here than welfare is abused in the West? It's the management of the welfare that matters.

And, in cold Western climates a simple brick through a window may give you three squares and a warm cot.

Not surprising that the number of 'guests' at the Tourist Police shelter in Phuket Town tend to be from countries with 'nanny state' forms of government.

• Like 1

Not surprising that the number of 'guests' at the Tourist Police shelter in Phuket Town tend to be from countries with 'nanny state' forms of government.

Lot's of Kiwis are there?