Longer visa exemption extensions begin August 29, 2014

Positive announcement, after a bit confusing times and changed regulations. wink.png

As per normal though Alfie.

I don't think there will be any change of stance though on the ones that are abusing the system.

• Like 2

so 3 back to back tourists = 180 days plus 60 non-visa = 240 days?

I think it may change the kind of visas people are asking for now that all g7 visitors can stay for 2 months without the need for a visa.........couple this with some tourist visas and the visa runners, who won't show up for another month.....looks like a busy time for immigration. i hope they are all well versed in ALL the new regs!

whats the point of a tourist visa if after 29 Aug you can get 30 days on arrival and then extend for 30 days ..?

You don't have to go to an Immigration Office.

what I also am getting at it makes whats going on now quite over the top, as all that have been refused entry over the past 2 weeks will in effect on 29 Aug be allowed into thailand for a possible 60 days...so i just think they has messed up big time ..toughened up the immigation requirements when most of the border have forgotten them. it is very clear on the 10 year over stay that some one has reminded thailand of human rights issues..if they have children of married to a thai national..then ban them for life?

• Like 1

You're still going to need to get a tourist visa if you want to stay (for example) 40 days as I can't see the airlines letting you fly without a valid visa.

I flew more than once, with Air Asia, Tiger Airways from Phuket or Bangkok to Kuala Lumpur, Singapore and Phnom Penh return, even on same day, without any problems.

Last, 2012.

You're still going to need to get a tourist visa if you want to stay (for example) 40 days as I can't see the airlines letting you fly without a valid visa.

I flew more than once, with Air Asia, Tiger Airways from Phuket or Bangkok to Kuala Lumpur, Singapore and Phnom Penh return, even on same day, without any problems.

Last, 2012.

I'm thinking more of flights from Europe and the US with airlines like Emirates or KLM etc. I don't think they're going to take the risk of having a planeload of passengers turned back on them because they have no visas.

whats the point of a tourist visa if after 29 Aug you can get 30 days on arrival and then extend for 30 days ..?

You don't have to go to an Immigration Office.

And you have an option to extend your 60 days for another 30 days having tourist visa.

• Like 1

This is still going to be a major inconvenience to many.

You can only really stay for 60 days on exemption and have a ticket out of the country.

After that 60 days is up, then 'maybe' you can get a tourist visa from outside the country, but a 60 day double entry isn't going to be helpful, because after 60 days plus 30 day extension (90 days) your tourist status is going to look very iffy to a border officer.

However, most people will already have a large amount of out/ins in their passport before these rules kick in.

I would say by Christmas, a lot of people will be feeling uncomfortable. Before then we will all have read many horror stories.

I don't think this changes anything much at all.

They said they are not targeting people on tourist visas, so why have plenty of people been stranded at the border holding tourist visas then.

• Like 1

Extension seems to be only given with a ticket out, to unsure one is a real tourist.

But as others said, for a visa exempt entry by air one needs to show a ticket out within 30 days in the first place. So you can only get the extension if you buy a ticket that you can change.

• Like 1