Longer visa exemption extensions begin August 29, 2014

so 3 back to back tourists = 180 days plus 60 non-visa = 240 days?

I think it may change the kind of visas people are asking for now that all g7 visitors can stay for 2 months without the need for a visa.........couple this with some tourist visas and the visa runners, who won't show up for another month.....looks like a busy time for immigration. i hope they are all well versed in ALL the new regs!

I entered Thailand 15-07-2015. Thai Immigration at Bangkok Airport looked at my passport and saw that I had been in Thailand with my tourist visas and extensions and told me I could not be in Thailand on entry visas for more than a total of 6 months a year.

so 3 back to back tourists = 180 days plus 60 non-visa = 240 days?

I think it may change the kind of visas people are asking for now that all g7 visitors can stay for 2 months without the need for a visa.........couple this with some tourist visas and the visa runners, who won't show up for another month.....looks like a busy time for immigration. i hope they are all well versed in ALL the new regs!

I entered Thailand 15-07-2015. Thai Immigration at Bangkok Airport looked at my passport and saw that I had been in Thailand with my tourist visas and extensions and told me I could not be in Thailand on entry visas for more than a total of 6 months a year.

If you obtained and used a triple-entry tourist visa (not obtainable everywhere, but in some places) anywhere near its potential (60d plus a possible 30d extension on EACH of the three entries), that'd be somewhere in the neighborhood of 270days (assuming a 180day "must-enter-by" date on the visa). 'Course that's not to say that your three stays couldn't add up to much less, but how the heck are you supposed to know how MUCH of that possible 270days you can actually plan on?? It just goes to show the inconsistency and capriciousness that occasionally seems to find its way into the thai immigration gameshow.

OK - now cue the "if-you're-here-more-than-<fill in your favorite arbitrary no.>-days-you're-not-a-tourist" / "get-the-elite-card" / "it-happens-everywhere" harpies.

Did you have visas or visa exempt entries?

There is no 6 month rule, but those using visa exemptions can set off alarms when they have lots of entries leading to questions being asked at the airport.

That is incorrect. Such regulation has been repealed few years ago, check yourself:

http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/doc/temporarystay/policy778-2551_en.pdf

That is incorrect. Such regulation has been repealed few years ago, check yourself:

http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/doc/temporarystay/policy778-2551_en.pdf

You're right. The problem is those few IOs who are somehow unaware of this, or just simply make up their own rules when they feel like it. What's a traveler supposed to do when he encounters a situation like Travelightly did? Argue with the IO? Ask to see a supervisor? Just smile & ignore what he's being told and hope that on his next trip through immigration he gets a more competent IO? (It doesn't sound like Tl was actually turned away on the 15th - only sort of "warned" but allowed in; so I presume a matter of his next attempt to enter...).

You're right. The problem is those few IOs who are somehow unaware of this, or just simply make up their own rules when they feel like it. What's a traveler supposed to do when he encounters a situation like Travelightly did? Argue with the IO? Ask to see a supervisor? Just smile & ignore what he's being told and hope that on his next trip through immigration he gets a more competent IO? (It doesn't sound like Tl was actually turned away on the 15th - only sort of "warned" but allowed in; so I presume a matter of his next attempt to enter...).

I don't think they are unaware, just applying pressure. I remember clearly after a while the regulation was repealed one officer seeing my various visa exempt stamps smiled and said to me "this is now OK, you can stay as long you want".

Anyway, one can't be denied entry just because travels often on visa exempt. As you said all ends with verbal warnings about getting a visa next time. See other reports:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/823678-questioned-by-immigration-at-the-airport-on-a-30-day-entry/

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/809844-getting-problems-for-frequent-entries/

Sine there are more up to date topics and posts on this forum about visa exempt extensions and I have just had to remove a post with a profanity and a flame that was in reply to a year old post this topic is now closed.

mfr_closed1.gif

• Like 1