Longer visa exemption extensions begin August 29, 2014

You're still going to need to get a tourist visa if you want to stay (for example) 40 days as I can't see the airlines letting you fly without a valid visa.

I flew more than once, with Air Asia, Tiger Airways from Phuket or Bangkok to Kuala Lumpur, Singapore and Phnom Penh return, even on same day, without any problems.

Last, 2012.

I'm thinking more of flights from Europe and the US with airlines like Emirates or KLM etc. I don't think they're going to take the risk of having a planeload of passengers turned back on them because they have no visas.

In these new circumstances, possibly Thai Immigration, can advise the Airlines, that the passengers get a 30 day Visa exemption for sure, if the passenger, arriving from Over seas, was not in Thailand for a specified period, 30 days?

Anyway, most return tickets, people arrive from over seas, can be changed, at least for a fee.whistling.gif

Edited by ALFREDO

I may have misunderstood, but my question would be: will airlines allow somebody to board a flight for Thailand if their return ticket is more than 30 days ahead and they have no visa? in other words: will the airlines place any weight on the fact that a 30 day visa exemption extension is possible? If the position is unclear then tourists who fancy a stay of six weeks or so will probably still want a tourist visa.

Guess yes they only selling tickets , visa is your own responsibillity

Just bought a single trip to bkk , got marriage visa , they never even looked at it

Wouldn't it just be simpler to make the visa exemption 60 days instead of having to extend it?

That would require a ministerial regulation change to do it and that requires cabinet approval. They can do a police order for the extension.

• Like 1

Yes, good news.

I am holding back for the time being on my arrangements for a winter stay in Thailand and hope new updates as mentioned in the OP's post will clarify things for over winter people like myself.

Sounds like the visa out-in crackdown is already cracking up which is good news.

The Out-In rule is not cracking up. It has never been the intention to deny tourists, just people abusing the rules by staying long term in Thailand without the proper visa.

I don't see Thai immigration coming back on that in the near future, and there certainly is no need for that.

What we can hope is a more clear definition of who will fall under the IN-Out rule and who not as currently there is a lot of difference in the interpretation between the different border checkpoints.

• Like 2

Great! Some good news!

But I was wondering if anyone could help me, (Not to sure if its OK to post on here, I'm new to this)

Because of all the news rules that are in place, I'm a little lost. In the past I have had multiple entry tourist visas and also single entry visas from Penang. In October 2011 I took a year out in Thailand to live with my Thai GF, I was a genuine tourist and just slept, travelled, drank, and chilled out almost every day. I always kept in date with my Visa and left in October 2012.

I returned back to the UK and spent 7 month working and collecting money together, and decided I wanted to go back and see my GF, baring in mind be have been together now since 2010 my first trip to Thailand where we met. SO.. I went back to Thailand July 2013 on a double entry tourist visa from the UK to stay with my partner who is a singer, it was coming up to High season and I wanted to travel with her to Khao Lak where she was working, hense why I got a double entry, we wanted to celebrate Christmas together so I went to Malay and got a single entry. I left there in January 2014 and have been in the UK since. Working and saving money to go back!!

Now I'm faced with all of these Immigration rules and I'm not sure what i should believe, am I going to have a problem when I go there in August this year to get a Visa Exemption in Suvanabhumi? I am staying for a period of 3 weeks, and I have a flight ticket out and more than enough funds to cover my stay. I've heard and read many things about them not letting people with a number of visas blah blah.. Please can someone let me know if Im going to be OK. Its supposed to be fun counting down the days until your reunited with your loved ones but I'm so stressted out and confuseddddd!!

Great! Some good news!

But I was wondering if anyone could help me, (Not to sure if its OK to post on here, I'm new to this)

Because of all the news rules that are in place, I'm a little lost. In the past I have had multiple entry tourist visas and also single entry visas from Penang. In October 2011 I took a year out in Thailand to live with my Thai GF, I was a genuine tourist and just slept, travelled, drank, and chilled out almost every day. I always kept in date with my Visa and left in October 2012.

I returned back to the UK and spent 7 month working and collecting money together, and decided I wanted to go back and see my GF, baring in mind be have been together now since 2010 my first trip to Thailand where we met. SO.. I went back to Thailand July 2013 on a double entry tourist visa from the UK to stay with my partner who is a singer, it was coming up to High season and I wanted to travel with her to Khao Lak where she was working, hense why I got a double entry, we wanted to celebrate Christmas together so I went to Malay and got a single entry. I left there in January 2014 and have been in the UK since. Working and saving money to go back!!

Now I'm faced with all of these Immigration rules and I'm not sure what i should believe, am I going to have a problem when I go there in August this year to get a Visa Exemption in Suvanabhumi? I am staying for a period of 3 weeks, and I have a flight ticket out and more than enough funds to cover my stay. I've heard and read many things about them not letting people with a number of visas blah blah.. Please can someone let me know if Im going to be OK. Its supposed to be fun counting down the days until your reunited with your loved ones but I'm so stressted out and confuseddddd!!

With a ticket out after 3 weeks you have nothing to worry.

• Like 1

Back to where we came from.

The only visa exempt extension I have ever had was in March 2008, I only needed a week but they gave me 30 days, apparently that was the norm at the time.

It has been 7 days long before 2008. Sounds more like a tourist visa extension.

• Like 1

You're still going to need to get a tourist visa if you want to stay (for example) 40 days as I can't see the airlines letting you fly without a valid visa.

you evidently have not read the OP

someone can now come here for 60 days without having to do a visa run to the border or be in possession of a tourist visa from their home country provided they can show a flight out of Thailand 30 days from the application for extension, this is very good news and is something people have been wanting for a considerable time, people have been complaining for years about handing money over to Cambodia or other a-joining countries for a visa for a 10min stay plus the added hassle of the travel and associated costs to a visa run company

You can already extend a tourist visa by 30 days and I would assume the same rules will apply

This is all good for genuine tourists who want the option of staying for 60 or indeed 90 days without the need to do a laborious and pointless border runs which with the implementation of other rules have basically been outlawed anyway

Edited by smedly

Thankyou! I have been emailing the consulate in the UK and some have been telling me to get a Visa, and some things they said haven't been clear, I just need clarification for my trip, because of my past visits. So I'll be fine going with myself, passport, and suitcase yea!?

whats the point of a tourist visa if after 29 Aug you can get 30 days on arrival and then extend for 30 days ..?

You don't have to go to an Immigration Office.

what I also am getting at it makes whats going on now quite over the top, as all that have been refused entry over the past 2 weeks will in effect on 29 Aug be allowed into thailand for a possible 60 days...so i just think they has messed up big time ..toughened up the immigation requirements when most of the border have forgotten them. it is very clear on the 10 year over stay that some one has reminded thailand of human rights issues..if they have children of married to a thai national..then ban them for life?

I don't think this changes the previous clamp down on "border runs" you can now stay for 60 days or 90 days without them and border runs will still not be allowed - seems reasonable

So please explain to me how someone who travels to Thailand on a visa exemption who is supposed to have proof of onward travel within those 30 days to board the airplane can now stay for 60 days.

I see no benefit in it,it will still be easier and cheaper just to obtain a tourist visa before travelling.

Admittedly I've travelled 6 times to Thailand this year on a one way ticket and have never been refused boarding,but others on here have said otherwise.

Could someone clarify for me please.

• Like 1

Thanks OP, now much clearer.

However, note that the video tells us what we knew already,

the authorities read topics like this on TVF

so perhaps it's a good idea to think first and post second?

Sounds like the visa out-in crackdown is already cracking up which is good news.

The Out-In rule is not cracking up. It has never been the intention to deny tourists, just people abusing the rules by staying long term in Thailand without the proper visa.

I don't see Thai immigration coming back on that in the near future, and there certainly is no need for that.

What we can hope is a more clear definition of who will fall under the IN-Out rule and who not as currently there is a lot of difference in the interpretation between the different border checkpoints.

Yes, and most importantly clarification on out/in with legit, non back to back, double or triple entry tourist visas. I dont see any good reason why these should be barred.

• Like 1

The 2012 Dept. of Tourism data for average length of stay for all visitors to Thailand is 10 days; those from Europe 16 days; those from USA 15 days; so this would cover the overwhelming majority of who visit Thailand.

Great! Some good news!

Great so i dont need to get any visa right, i can just get the 30 day stamp at Bkk. Oh and one more thing.. im sorry but you guys know alot more than me lol! If I am staying in my partners rented accomodation where she has rented for a year and a half now, how am I to prove that I am staying there? Is an address enough? If im ever asked.. facepalm.gifsmile.png

I think it confirms that immigration is not about scarring tourists away and are making it easier. As they have said all along, they don't want people abusing the system.

If you want to stay long term, you have to get the right visa as anyone else.

If you are a tourist coming here for a holiday, you have nothing to fear.

It's also a very good way to bring in revenue that used to go to visa run operators and Cambodia (or other neighbouring countries).

Edited by tropo
  • Like 2

I think it should be noted that under the current rules, a visitor who entered as Visa Exempt could apply for an extension, be denied, and get 7 days to depart.

I'm willing to bet that the new rule for 30 day extensions will not be an automatic denial, it will be a true extension if granted. In other words, you will actually need to qualify for it and if you don't you will have to depart by the end of the original Permission To Stay.

• Like 1

Great! Some good news!

Thankyou for your help, so i dont need to apply for any visa here in the UK i can just get a 30 day stamp in BKK airport?

please can i ask one more thing, Im staying in my partners rented accomodation and not a hotel, ive done this since we have been together, if i am asked for where i am staying at any time. is an address enough to show them? as im not staying in a hotel ect..

They said they are not targeting people on tourist visas, so why have plenty of people been stranded at the border holding tourist visas then.

They are targeting people with 'many' (open to interpretation) tourist-visas, and/or 'many' in/outs in their passports already. If it's your FIRST tourist visa, then fine. If it's your 3rd of 4th tourist-visa, and the in/outs that have already come from keeping those TR's active in the past...then you have trouble. Contrary to the official speak also, they don't have to technically be 'back to back' in order to see them count against you. If they are in your passport already, from the past, some agents will say 'you are not a tourist'.

Edited by John1thru10