Longer visa exemption extensions begin August 29, 2014

All we need now is longer visa's for those married to thai citizens and to stop the 90 reporting, then we will be able to see that things are improving for the better.

For instance they could also think of Non Imm "O" Extension based on marriage or retirement for two years / I will be glad to pay the double fee accordingly...

• Like 2

You're still going to need to get a tourist visa if you want to stay (for example) 40 days as I can't see the airlines letting you fly without a valid visa.

you evidently have not read the OP

I have read the OP. I'm saying that even though Thai immigration may now have the ability to give you a 30 day extension it doesn't necessarily mean that airlines are going to let you board their aircraft unless you have a visa that is valid for the length of your stay.

Maybe that is a question for the airline when you book your ticket - if they say no then get a tourist visa for 60 days - seems simple enough

This is still going to be a major inconvenience to many.

You can only really stay for 60 days on exemption and have a ticket out of the country.

After that 60 days is up, then 'maybe' you can get a tourist visa from outside the country, but a 60 day double entry isn't going to be helpful, because after 60 days plus 30 day extension (90 days) your tourist status is going to look very iffy to a border officer.

However, most people will already have a large amount of out/ins in their passport before these rules kick in.

I would say by Christmas, a lot of people will be feeling uncomfortable. Before then we will all have read many horror stories.

I don't think this changes anything much at all.

They said they are not targeting people on tourist visas, so why have plenty of people been stranded at the border holding tourist visas then.

Well, people who want to stay much more than 2 months should at least have to explain why they are still on a tourist visa. If they have made this change now, who knows what else they might change.

Yes, some people want to use thailand as a hopping point but, obviously they need to come up with a new plan. Obviously this change isn't quite as unthought as people have thought.

They said they are not targeting people on tourist visas, so why have plenty of people been stranded at the border holding tourist visas then.

They are targeting people with 'many' (open to interpretation) tourist-visas, and/or 'many' in/outs in their passports already. If it's your FIRST tourist visa, then fine. If it's your 3rd of 4th tourist-visa, and the in/outs that have already come from keeping those TR's active in the past...then you have trouble. Contrary the officialdom, they don't have to technically be 'back to back' in order to see them count against you. Compounded by a discrepency between the consultates that are issuing the visas, and the agents deciding at the entrance. That is the reason.

What if youve been out the country for several months but have tourist visas from the past still in your passport ? (single entry and double entry that is ) no walking out walking back in nonsense

Edited by rebeccax28

so 3 back to back tourists = 180 days plus 60 non-visa = 240 days?

I think it may change the kind of visas people are asking for now that all g7 visitors can stay for 2 months without the need for a visa.........couple this with some tourist visas and the visa runners, who won't show up for another month.....looks like a busy time for immigration. i hope they are all well versed in ALL the new regs!

If it is a triple entry it is not back to back.

This may be a little off the subject BUT

I think it would be worthy of consideration,to have available in the system provision for

Permanent Resident category for non O visa holders,married to a Thai spouse,as is common

in some countries (New Zealand for one)I do not mean Citizenship

Sure there are regulations but ones that are not to hard to meet.The continual updating of Visas could be

done away with and this would simplify the volume of (unnecessary work) the department has to repeat

so expensivly and boringly.time consuming.

No doubt someone will shoot me down in flames??!!

Some people still don't understand it. They do not target tourists with Tourist Visa. Thy target visa-exempt in/outs. I bet, that tese guys who got denied to enter Thailand at the Malaysian border had many visa-exempts before they got a TR visa.

• Like 1

They are targeting people with 'many' (open to interpretation) tourist-visas, and/or 'many' in/outs in their passports already. If it's your FIRST tourist visa, then fine. If it's your 3rd of 4th tourist-visa, and the in/outs that have already come from keeping those TR's active in the past...then you have trouble. Contrary the officialdom, they don't have to technically be 'back to back' in order to see them count against you. Compounded by a discrepency between the consultates that are issuing the visas, and the agents deciding at the entrance. That is the reason.

What if youve been out the country for several months but have tourist visas from the past still in your passport ? (single entry and double entry that is ) no walking out walking back in nonsense

I have been denied a new tourist visa, myself (after inquiring at many consulates) for having tourist-visas from as long as 5 years ago still in my passport. All with long periods outside of Thailand each year. Some people here will argue this with great anger, quoting official rules from websites. But that is my experience, and I've had several people in the business of visa-trips quote to me: "It is by a visual first impression". That has been confirmed to me by several different visa-run companies, etc.

Also keep in mind, some people have a completely different experience, sailing through without any problems. The truth is, it can be very confusing (despite people here who repeat that the rules are supposedly easy). I've known guys recently who had a year overstay, paid the fine, and sailed back in with a new visa. I don't know how they did that. I'm just stating, I've had long past tourist-visas from years ago counted as if they were 'back to back', and there was no chance for discussion.

One advice I can give you, is to renew your passport if you can. Start over, so that it's easy to comprehend what's going on in there. My passport is like a phone book of world travel, and times I've been here for one month, left for 3, came back for 2...on and on for 5 years. They don't like it. And that's just a visual thing.

Edited by John1thru10
  • Like 1

Hi.

I just want to confirm regarding the new rules posted in this thread.

I am currently on my 2nd entry of my Tourist Visa.

I would like to get a 30 day extension then fly outside Thailand for 6 weeks.

Question:

When I apply for a 30 day extension at Jomtien on September 2nd , do I need to bring:

1A onward flight ticket or eTicket out of Thailand within the 30 days

2. Minimum 10,000 Baht

3. Hotel booking confirmation

4. One photo, passport sized

5. Application fee, 1,900 Baht

Previously getting a 30 Extension on a Tourist Visa I had a Passport, photo and 1900 baht.

Thanks.

TC.

All we need now is longer visa's for those married to thai citizens and to stop the 90 reporting, then we will be able to see that things are improving for the better.

For instance they could also think of Non Imm "O" Extension based on marriage or retirement for two years / I will be glad to pay the double fee accordingly...

There are 2 hopes of that happening, no hope and Bob Hope.

• Like 1

Great. The lord giveth, the lord taketh. So, now repeated tourist visas are invalid, as such indicate that you are not a real tourist, but visa exemptions can be extended for that magical figure of 1900b. Is there any practical difference? Just what is it with these people? Why is the sight of farang staying in Thailand so scary? Are they doing any harm—no. Are they doing some good—yes. A lot of westerners want to live in Thailand, and not old enough for retirement, don't want to marry and get a 'marriage' visa, but stay anyway. Just what is the problem? I can get 60 days on arrival free in Singapore, and repeat this again a few times. What does Sing know that Thailand does not? Sing has always been open to outsiders, a small island, that welcomes foreigners.

• Like 2

I have been denied a new tourist visa, myself (after inquiring at many consulates) for having tourist-visas from as long as 5 years ago still in my passport. All with long periods outside of Thailand each year. Some people here will argue this with great anger, quoting official rules from websites. But that is my experience, and I've had several people in the business of visa-trips quote to me: "It is by a visual first impression". That has been confirmed to me by several different visa-run companies, etc.

Also keep in mind, some people have a completely different experience, sailing through without any problems. The truth is, it can be very confusing (despite people here who repeat that the rules are supposedly easy). I've known guys recently who had a year overstay, paid the fine, and sailed back in with a new visa. I don't know how they did that. And the someone else is barred from entering on their first visa. It's just confusing.

I'm not trying to be argumentative with some of the people here who can be so angry about things, but I'm just stating, I've had long past tourist-visas from years ago counted as if they were 'back to back', on more than a few ocassions.

So what should I do? I'm only going for 3 weeks. I have flight ticket back to UK

Sent from my i-mobile i-STYLE 7.5A using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Some people still don't understand it. They do not target tourists with Tourist Visa. Thy target visa-exempt in/outs. I bet, that tese guys who got denied to enter Thailand at the Malaysian border had many visa-exempts before they got a TR visa.

Maybe it's you that doesn't still understand it. Back to back tourists visas will be an issue. Remember the reason for this initially was to route out the people working here illegally. Even on a tourist visa or visas you are basically telling immigration that you are on holiday for 6-12 months + Not really believable is it.

• Like 1

I have read the OP. I'm saying that even though Thai immigration may now have the ability to give you a 30 day extension it doesn't necessarily mean that airlines are going to let you board their aircraft unless you have a visa that is valid for the length of your stay.

You're still going to need to get a tourist visa if you want to stay (for example) 40 days as I can't see the airlines letting you fly without a valid visa.

Maybe that is a question for the airline when you book your ticket - if they say no then get a tourist visa for 60 days - seems simple enough

When you buy an airline ticket the assumption is that you make your own visa arrangements. You won't know whether you're going to be denied boarding until you get to the gate. The only way to guarantee you'll be able to board is to get a tourist visa so these new regulations are irrelevant to the very people that they're supposed to be helping.

Since having my retirement extension (3 years), every time I check-in at UK to return to T/L, they have questioned me if I have an onward/return ticket, until I point out the extension/re-entry stamps...Even then they have often called their supervisors to confirm that this is OK... Obviously never been a problem, but does highlight that (at least in the UK) they take it seriously.

• Like 1

So what should I do? I'm only going for 3 weeks. I have flight ticket back to UK

If you're only going for 3 weeks you'll get a 30 day visa exemption just like all the other tourists from the UK do.

• Like 1

The 90 day reporting is embedded in the Thai Immigration Act. Don't look for it to change any time soon.

It wont change, no matter how many wives, kids, and businesses you got, it is a control thing that's all, nothing more nothing less

• Like 1

Since having my retirement extension (3 years), every time I check-in at UK to return to T/L, they have questioned me if I have an onward/return ticket, until I point out the extension/re-entry stamps...Even then they have often called their supervisors to confirm that this is OK... Obviously never been a problem, but does highlight that (at least in the UK) they take it seriously.

All airlines take it seriously. It costs them money if they don't.

If you're only going for 3 weeks you'll get a 30 day visa exemption just like all the other tourists from the UK do.

Yea I'm reading so many things and it's just confusing me, even though I've got single entry and double entry visas in my passport. I'm going to be ok?

so 3 back to back tourists = 180 days plus 60 non-visa = 240 days?

I think it may change the kind of visas people are asking for now that all g7 visitors can stay for 2 months without the need for a visa.........couple this with some tourist visas and the visa runners, who won't show up for another month.....looks like a busy time for immigration. i hope they are all well versed in ALL the new regs!

If it is a triple entry it is not back to back.

I have seen it considered so, in Sawanakhet, last year! Don't be mad at me, it's what they did.

Back to back tourists visas will be an issue.

So then, we will read a lot of "denied entry" stories after 12th. August. The big question will be; How many visa-exempts in/outs they had prior. whistling.gif

ons.

You're going to be alright smile.png

Here's a few things, to feel more sure.

1) Have 20k baht in cash on you, at the border. Some people are reporting being asked to show that, and officially, it's the rule.

2) Have a printed copy of your return flight on you, and ready to show at the border.

3) If your passport is thick like a phone book (like mine is, from all over the place), consider renewing it before you come (if possible).

If you do those things (especially the 1st two), then you will be ok. Relax and have a great trip!

When you'll have problems, is when you're already here and trying to stay somehow. That's a different matter.

whats the point of a tourist visa if after 29 Aug you can get 30 days on arrival and then extend for 30 days ..?

it ends up being cheaper and no immigration run

Not cheaper. 60 days visa is like 1,000 Bt, but 30 days extension 1,900.

Immigration wants the money goes to them not to the consulates.