Longer visa exemption extensions begin August 29, 2014

Sounds good to me. Now if they reconsider the irksome 90 days reporting requirement which most people I have spoken to agree is pointless. Or if there is a point, explain it. It will make a lot of long stayers very happy.

Cant see the problem except you want to abuse the TV, to stay her all time with extension, wish the immigration don't want

It's what I was thinking, that the 3x(60+30) could soon be something of the past.

It seems something rather popular among guys from country who still have these 3-entries (USA, UK,...).

Nota: Not personally concerned:

I am on retirement extension, and no 3-entries in my country wink.png

They can still abuse the system, but that will cost a lot, because the have to change flight every time.. Good thinking of the immigration, and the alarm bell will ring for abusing :)

They can still abuse the system, but that will cost a lot, because the have to change flight every time..

Good thinking of the immigration, and the alarm bell will ring for abusing smile.png

I listen again the video and am now unsure about this point:

the guy just asked to "bring an onward or return ticket", but didn't say anything about "within 30 days".

I am not sure where ThaiVisa took this "30 days" from ??

They can still abuse the system, but that will cost a lot, because the have to change flight every time..

Good thinking of the immigration, and the alarm bell will ring for abusing smile.png

the guy just asked to "bring an onward or return ticket", but didn't say anything about "within 30 days".

This was the official

you are traveling on visa-exempt or with a tourist visa, bring these documents for your extension:

1. Your onward flight ticket or eTicket out of Thailand within the 30 days

2. Minimum 10,000 Baht, or rather 20,000 Baht

3. Hotel booking confirmation - and if you have it, your itinerary

4. One photo, passport sized.

5. Application fee, 1,900 Baht

They can still abuse the system, but that will cost a lot, because the have to change flight every time.. Good thinking of the immigration, and the alarm bell will ring for abusing smile.png

Which cost, which changes? It's just an eTicket printout (some worthless piece of paper) that they 'pre-announced" to be asking. And may not even bother to check.

What they really want is the 1,900 baht for 30 days to go to Immigration, not to consulates, not to minivan companies, not to nearby country visa fees.

As they (partially) closed the door, they will open the window.

I wonder why so many people still don't get it... This is Thailand, a little money fixes everything.

Edited by paz

They can still abuse the system, but that will cost a lot, because the have to change flight every time.. Good thinking of the immigration, and the alarm bell will ring for abusing smile.png

I wonder why so many people still don't get it... This is Thailand, a little money fixes everything.

I have being living here long enough to know that. :)

IMHO this is the main problem, but i can see a better future for Thailand and if you not trying to repair, it will not be fixed.

Maybe this is new time for Thailand. I hope

Great news for my situation with the visa exemption extension, I will be trying this out for ANZAC day in Kanchanaburi next year.

I thought it odd this was mentioned, you should show a return ticket, I cannot leave Perth international airport without proof of a return ticket, or are we just an isolated case in the backwaters of Oz??

I think it depends on the airline, from Amsterdam I believe that China Airlines sometimes asks you for a return ticket if not booked with them, and KLM doesn't, or the other way around ....

• Like 1

Which cost, which changes? It's just an eTicket printout (some worthless piece of paper)

that they 'pre-announced" to be asking. And many not even bother to check.

Except that if this rule is applied,

it means that everyone leaving Thailand while on a 30-days extension must exit from Thailand by plane!

A direct consequence could be: people on this extension are refused to exit at a land border... rolleyes.gif

• Like 1

I am sick and tired of reading about visas and visa changed every day. They seem to change some rule every few days as if they have nothing more worthwhile to do.

Which changes are there every day? Every country changes it's visa rules so now and then, and so does Thailand. Reading this forum may lead you to think that are many unclarities, where maybe it isn't so bad.

You're still going to need to get a tourist visa if you want to stay (for example) 40 days as I can't see the airlines letting you fly without a valid visa.

you evidently have not read the OP

I have read the OP. I'm saying that even though Thai immigration may now have the ability to give you a 30 day extension it doesn't necessarily mean that airlines are going to let you board their aircraft unless you have a visa that is valid for the length of your stay.

I flow in on May 2nd on a Jet Airways, India plane with only a one-way ticket, no visa & only 3,500 Baht in my pocket, I was never asked about onward travel plans or how I would support myself during my stay, that throws your statement out the window if you ask me....

No it doesnt.. Something not happening once does not disprove that something does happen sometimes..

Re the being asked for onward tickets.. Its happened to me (I was able to show a visa) happened to my brother (multiple times, sing and KL) needing to buy a ticket in the airport.. Happened to many of my mates.. Etc etc etc..

Does it always happen ?? No.. Can it still happen.. yes.. When it happens is it a pain in the arse if you dont have a backup plan ?? Yes also.

This is Thailand, a little money fixes everything.

Go say that to the owners of the many clubs and discos currently closed in Pattaya. An extremely rich owner of the Lucifer Disco is said to have proposed to pay " a fortune" to reopen his club closed for 60 days... but the club remained closed! smile.png

Edited by Pattaya46

Sounds good to me. Now if they reconsider the irksome 90 days reporting requirement which most people I have spoken to agree is pointless. Or if there is a point, explain it. It will make a lot of long stayers very happy.

Control.. And a little reminder of the stability of your life situation..

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

so 3 back to back tourists = 180 days plus 60 non-visa = 240 days?

I think it may change the kind of visas people are asking for now that all g7 visitors can stay for 2 months without the need for a visa.........couple this with some tourist visas and the visa runners, who won't show up for another month.....looks like a busy time for immigration. i hope they are all well versed in ALL the new regs!

G7 citizens can stay for 30 days X 3 without a visa, not 2 months as you have stated, I am currently on my 3rd 30 days & will require to get an Non Imm 'O' visa in Laos at the end of july

Which border crossing do those rules apply to? Certainly not

The Laos part 'might' be a clue, just saying ;-)

This is Thailand, a little money fixes everything.

Go say that to the owners of the many clubs and discos currently closed in Pattaya. An extremely rich owner of the Lucifer Disco is said to have proposed to pay " a fortune" to reopen his club closed for 60 days...

That's why I said a little money :)

Now Messier Lucifer will have to enjoy holidays for 60 days. Good for the health.

• Like 1

Forgive me but..............didn't it used to be that way before they meddled with it and came up with the 7 day version. Thai mentality will never cease to amaze the intelligent people living on the other 99% of planet Earth!!!

Most tourists have a itinerary, sure! smile.png

or at least a list of locations they would like to visit.

What about a list of names and numbers ?

Or, for the elder, a list of chairs at the pool ?

Thailand Immigration just want you to look as a tourist. The more Western logic one puts into this, the more time one will waste.

Make sure to be wearing a Hawaiian shirt, a big camera around your neck, and be carrying a travel guide that says 'THAILAND' really big on it.

Edited by John1thru10

whats the point of a tourist visa if after 29 Aug you can get 30 days on arrival and then extend for 30 days ..?

it ends up being cheaper and no immigration run

Cheaper that is - if getting the Tourist Visa is not costly in the first place, Example ... in the USA... the Thai Embassy is in Washington, D.C., a Consulate in LA and in Chicago and where else - not sure? Honorary Thai Consul General Offices are in Portland, Dallas, Houston, Honolulu and some other places - but not everywhere.

The United States is a big place ... No visas by mail anymore with Honorary Thai Consul General offices. Visas by mail at the actual Thai Consulates - but many people have great trepidation about mailing their passport no matter the carrier ... FedEX, UPS, USPS, etc. And I do not blame them -- one SNAFU and one's visa is somewhere in America - maybe. Not that it happens all that often - but the fact that it could happen causes people to have great anxiety about doing any such thing. Anecdotal stories about how all went well do not matter and are not helpful because the traveler does not know about them.

What is left? Land travel - Air travel to a place that may not be on the way to Thailand or the timing is bad, etc.

So many people do opt for an Exemption (of not having a visa) on Entry - assuming they even understand the terminology.

I know of a guy right now who is caught betwixt and between places to get a Visa (as described above)... Any option chosen is costly or filled with anxiety about what will happen if he sends his passport off to nanaland - will he get it back with an approved visa or get it back at all? He will likely chose Exemption - even though it does not fit his needs - which is a Non Imm Multi 'O'.

At least in the U.S. when Honorary Thai Consul Generals were cut off using the mail -- it created a big problem ... people sending their passports off to an office in a distant city WANT TO TALK TO AN AMERICAN who speaks real English and who will not become frustrated with him/her or vice versa. People want to confirm receipt... be able to verbally fix problems that may occur ... be able to send documents by email to someone who will acknowledge receipt ... the list goes on.

So people take the easy way out and opt for something that they are not sure exactly what it is.. Exemption ? Visa on Arrival - no - that term is not wanted in Thailand, etc. BUT they do it anyway ... because it is better than driving or flying to Portland, LA, Chicago, Houston, Dallas or Honolulu... or other out of the way places that have nothing to do with getting to Thailand/

the easy way to do the visa would be

30 days on arrival..then if you wont to stay pay 1900 for every 30 days.... or round it off to 2000...so easy..go immigration...pay the cash for the length of stay you wont to stay..

in that way it is easy to see who is a tourist and who is not...

This was the official

you are traveling on visa-exempt or with a tourist visa, bring these documents for your extension:

Why would you need to show a ticket out of Thailand within 30 days if you got tourist visa thats valid for at least 60 days? Makes no sense, number 1 probebly is just for visa exempt otherwise it would be just ridicolous, but you probebly have to show ticket out of Thailand for tourist visa as well just not within 30 days.

Anybody who could answer this Dear members ? in my case, especially no.3 Hotel booking ?

From the OP it reads as if all extensions need this proof now. I am on a triple TV myself and stay with friends and therefore no booking for the full period of my 3rd entry to come.

so far I was under the impression "Previously getting a 30 Extension on a Tourist Visa I had a Passport, photo and 1900 baht." is enough.

You worry too much. If you will have any problem in obtaining an extension, come back here and call me an idiot.

Well, as of recently, to extend tourist visas and exemptions one needs a copy of rental contract or hotel booking as well as the exact address including that of the owner/landlord in case of bungalow/house rental. At least in Samui. Confirmed by myself on Friday. Edited by phylofx

Cheaper that is - if getting the Tourist Visa is not costly in the first place, Example ... in the USA... the Thai Embassy is in Washington, D.C., a Consulate in LA and in Chicago and where else - not sure? Honorary Thai Consul General Offices are in Portland, Dallas, Houston, Honolulu and some other places - but not everywhere.

The United States is a big place ... No visas by mail anymore with Honorary Thai Consul General offices. Visas by mail at the actual Thai Consulates - but many people have great trepidation about mailing their passport no matter the carrier ... FedEX, UPS, USPS, etc. And I do not blame them -- one SNAFU and one's visa is somewhere in America - maybe. Not that it happens all that often - but the fact that it could happen causes people to have great anxiety about doing any such thing. Anecdotal stories about how all went well do not matter and are not helpful because the traveler does not know about them.

Incorrect, for example Royal Thailand Honorary consulate in Oregon process mail applications, triple-entry visa.

http://www.thai-or.com/visa-application/

Then if people is paranoid about giving their passport to a courier, I can only recommend them to stay home.

Why would you need to show a ticket out of Thailand within 30 days if you got tourist visa thats valid for at least 60 days? Makes no sense, number 1 probebly is just for visa exempt otherwise it would be just ridicolous, but you probebly have to show ticket out of Thailand for tourist visa as well just not within 30 days.

This was the official

Most all airlines, at least from Europe and UK, have been demanding to see proof of outbound travel for quite some time now, before letting you board. Sometimes they forget or something, but it's more common than not. And over the last year, it's been increasingly more insisted, not just recently.

BUT, they've also traditonally accepted any type of a visa (OR, a re-entry permit in one case for myself) to wave needing to see an outbound ticket. With the new crackdown though, I suspect it's going to get increasingly tough on that end - perhaps illogically so - because traditionally the airlines have been financially responsible for returning you if they allowed you to board without proof of outbound travel. And, that proof requirement has always been on the books, much like the proof of funds shown in cash has always been technically on the books. I think the airline situation might get very complicated and illogical over the year ahead, because as the rules keep changing, they won't be on top of those changes at airports outside of Thailand.

Edited by John1thru10

The American in Bangkok video says what I have been saying on Thai visa for years, that Immigration will always be tolerant towards those doing things the legal way in Thailand and also that it is those who have been abusing the system here that has created a situation of the tightening up of the rules that will eventually have a knock on affect and involve all of us.

Also Scott mentioned that Immigration do scrutinize the threads and posts on Thai visa, this again I have mentioned many times before and therefore the Thai bashers and the extreme critics of Thailand are not doing us ex-pats or Thai visa`s reputation as a Thailand orientated forum any favours.

As I have said many times follow the 4 golden rules of living in Thailand:

Keep within and abide by the laws of Thailand at all times.

Keep your head down and a low profile here.

Do not become involved with the wrong crowds, including those who disrespect the laws and gold digging women.

Lose that Western aggression.

I quote from Mr Spock`s famous words: live long and prosper.

Edited by Beetlejuice
  • Like 2

When applying for a tourist Visa I always am in trouble with the hotel booking as I own a condo. Quiet frankly I am really one of those people that come to Thailand just for 3 months per year and every time they want to see a hotel booking my answer that "I own a condo" makes them pretty vary of me. I come here since roughly 7 years and I have seen most of Thailand....so then they ask what my travel plans are. Well...my travel plans are Beach -- Pool -- Bar rinse and repeat. Its kinda hard to show proof of that. I can send em pics if they want. tongue.png

What I'd like to know is whether the hotel booking or itinerary is flexible when asking for the extension. I would assume owning a condo or living with a fiance/girlfriend/wife etc. (like in my case) will be enough. Nobody will be forced to stay in a hotel BUT like was requested by Chachoengsao immigration when I got an extension done there a couple of months back, proof of your residence will be required. So if you are staying with friends or your own condo/house etc. proof of such WILL probably be requested in lieu i.e. as the equivalent of a hotel booking.

I also assume that one or a couple of nights in a hotel will do for most tourists staying at hotels proposing to extend their stays and that they won't be required to show evidence of booking for every night of their stays, not knowing where their next destination will be.

When applying for a tourist Visa I always am in trouble with the hotel booking as I own a condo. Quiet frankly I am really one of those people that come to Thailand just for 3 months per year and every time they want to see a hotel booking my answer that "I own a condo" makes them pretty vary of me. I come here since roughly 7 years and I have seen most of Thailand....so then they ask what my travel plans are. Well...my travel plans are Beach -- Pool -- Bar rinse and repeat. Its kinda hard to show proof of that. I can send em pics if they want. tongue.png

I've flown into Thailand 100-plus times in the past thirty years and I have NEVER been asked anything about hotel bookings, my travel plans, nor a return or onward ticket. And at least 2/3 of those trips were without a visa.

• Like 1

This doesn't help much those who has a lot of money and just want a very long holiday in Thailand.

But long stays here can be solved in many ways. Education visas, marriages - not too hard to find a nice woman here, etc. Maybe the stop of the visa runners is rooted in the state's financial interest... I think so. Always follow the money, when you want to understand something...