How many kilos of rice can produce one rai of land?

umbanda

A Rice farmer who owned four rai and rented seven rai for a yield of 8-9 tonnes per harvest,
Calculation top end

11 / (9 tonnes) = 0.00122222222 kg-1

Bottom

11 / (8 tonnes) = 0.001375 kg-1

Wont get fat on that but you sure as hull will get sick of it.

Thank you very much for your response. Very useful. Now I understand what my relatives told me, and also I understand why they are not making enough money. Looks like rice plantation it is not the best use for an expensive farming land.

Edited by metisdead
Bold font removed again. Please stop using bold font when posting!
  • Like 1

This is dependent on many factors. Soil condition, irrigation no irrigation etc. We average about 800kgs per rai.

However this is after we got my wife's dad to stop slash and burn and started using natural fertilizers. Prior to this

we were getting about 600-650 kgs per rai.

I have often wondered this myself. Of course common sense will tell you that it would vary according to many conditions. But I would have thought that rice farmers would have a ball park idea........BUT.....surprise, surprise, of the maybe 10 farmers I have asked in Issan, not one had any idea!

• Like 1

This is dependent on many factors. Soil condition, irrigation no irrigation etc. We average about 800kgs per rai.

However this is after we got my wife's dad to stop slash and burn and started using natural fertilizers. Prior to this

we were getting about 600-650 kgs per rai.

what natural fertilizer do you use?

I have often wondered this myself. Of course common sense will tell you that it would vary according to many conditions. But I would have thought that rice farmers would have a ball park idea........BUT.....surprise, surprise, of the maybe 10 farmers I have asked in Issan, not one had any idea!

then ask them how much rice they get per crop and then ask them how many rai they farm. they will all know both those #'s.

To the guy who said his relatives are getting 800 kilos of rice per rai with organic fertilizers. I hope you know that is an incredible amount, most organic farmers average between 300 to 500 kilos. So please share more information about the location of the farm and the techniques he is using. I might want to come up and conduct a related study.

However, the amount depends on many natural factors regardless of the type of fertilizers used. Higher yield are typically attained in Central Thailand where soil is best and rainfall most plentiful.

As to best product, sometimes that is designated by the area. Where I live, it is corn. And partly it is most profitable because so many people do it and the facilities to harvest, dry and sell the product is all local. My family does grow some rice but only for their own consumption.

My padiland in Mae Sai produces 700 kg per rai of the rainy season crop and 1,000 kg per rai for the non-rainy season crop. However the yield varies depending on the industriousness of your in-laws working the fields. Do they put fertilizer in adequate amount at least three times as the rice grows? Do they do weeding as weeds do take up the fertilizer meant for the rice? Do they place snail poison to prevent the multitude of snails gobbling up the young rice plants? Do they regulate the water level in the padi-fields as rain can cause inundation to kill the plants?

• Like 1

A Rice farmer who owned four rai and rented seven rai for a yield of 8-9 tonnes per harvest,

Calculation top end

11 / (9 tonnes) = 0.00122222222 kg-1

Bottom

11 / (8 tonnes) = 0.001375 kg-1

Wont get fat on that but you sure as hull will get sick of it.

Probably more useful the other way around.

9 tonnes/ 11 rai = 818 kg/rai

8 tonnes/ 11 rai = 727 kg/ rai

Seems much higher than some of the other estimates, but then there are probably a lot of variable to take into account.

Edited by Suradit69
  • Like 1

then ask them how much rice they get per crop and then ask them how many rai they farm. they will all know both those #'s.

Many do not even know how many rai they crop, never mind how much rice they harvest, many simply harvest, store, for personal use, then sell what is left.

Many do not even know how many rai they crop, never mind how much rice they harvest, many simply harvest, store, for personal use, then sell what is left.

you must live in a very inbred area. Where we live ,there isnt one farmer or his wife (who actually owns the land) who doesnt know exactly how many rai she has registered and how much money they get from the buyers.

I bought a rai of land recently and instantly became a tapioca farmer! I've not eaten it since school dinners but wasn't very keen on it then. I'm sure the crop of rice depends on land, water etc. If your missus is happy with what she got I would just leave it as I'm sure she wont allow herself to be ripped off. Either that or change to tapioca...it's the new rice.

Some year old info I saved, costs may have changed, but the quantity produced should be the same:

Source The Nation 31-03-2008
Production cost 1 Rai EQ 7,000 to 8,000 baht (07/08) (total incl. fertilizer)
Earlier: 3-4,000 baht.
1 Rai produce average 600-700 kg (white) rice