Water tank height to provide adequate pressure under gravity

mike44

We are subject to occasional power cuts which means we lose water supply as our house is fed from a well with a pumped supply to a water tank at ground level and a further pump from the water tank to the house.

We plan to install a water tank on a tower to provide water supply under gravity (and hence to provide a water supply reserve, until the tank runs dry, during a power cut).

The maximum water pipe run will be about 30m from the tank and the highest fitting will be a shower about 2m above ground level.

We wish to minimise the tower height for visual amenity and cost reasons.

How high should the water tank be to provide adequate water pressure?

If you're American or Canadian, 30 feet from the shower head to the bottom of the tank will give you 13 psi. Most powered water systems give about 40 psi, needing about a 100 foot tower.

If you just want some water flow such as to fill a bucket, any amount of lift will work because water will run downhill all day long.

Edited by NeverSure

Water level in tank, every 10 meters above tapping point gives 1 bar. 2 bar is acceptable.pressure. so water level in tank should be 22 meters above ground level. Be sure you use sufficient diameter tubing., and remove inside burrs!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I think 1 bar works for a normal home, unless there is a rain shower...lol.

Water level in tank, every 10 meters above tapping point gives 1 bar. 2 bar is acceptable.pressure. so water level in tank should be 22 meters above ground level. Be sure you use sufficient diameter tubing., and remove inside burrs!

water heater won't work with 1 bar!

"If you're American or Canadian, 30 feet from the shower head to the bottom of the tank will give you 13 psi."

What's the difference if you're not American or Canadian?

You may not measure in feet and psi.

Even use of a boat bailing pump on 12v battery might be easier and cheaper to set up for low pressure. But Naam inverter and power supply for that would not require any plumbing change and supply same pressure as normal and should be cheaper and better than tower.

As mentioned 1 bar is a dribble rather than a flow in my view.

• Like 1

Thanks for the helpful and prompt replies.

It's back to the drawing board as I had not realised that the tower would need to be more than 10m high to obtain adequate pressure. Such a tower would be wholly out of place.

It looks like we need to consider the alternative of a back-up power supply.

In this regard any thoughts on how the inverter and battery option compares to a diesel generator with automatic changeover on loss of mains power?

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

instead of an ugly tower you might consider a back-up power supply by inverter and battery. cost approximately 15-18,000 Baht depending on your pump's capacity.

note: a 12m high tower will give you 1 bar pressure, i.e. you have to run in circles when showering to get wet.

Cheaper than a tower too.

We were quoted 70k for 6 meter tower...hmmmmmm. We just went with the automatics pump instead for 6k. We are not often troubled by powercuts, we shower the old fashioned way.

It's back to the drawing board as I had not realised that the tower would need to be more than 10m high to obtain adequate pressure. Such a tower would be wholly out of place.

In this regard any thoughts on how the inverter and battery option compares to a diesel generator with automatic changeover on loss of mains power?

an automatic change-over is quite expensive and a manual generator start at 03.00 a.m. when you want to flush a toilet is not exactly enhancing quality of life ermm.gif

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

instead of an ugly tower you might consider a back-up power supply by inverter and battery. cost approximately 15-18,000 Baht depending on your pump's capacity.

note: a 12m high tower will give you 1 bar pressure, i.e. you have to run in circles when showering to get wet.

Cheaper than a tower too.

We were quoted 70k for 6 meter tower...hmmmmmm. We just went with the automatics pump instead for 6k. We are not often troubled by powercuts, we shower the old fashioned way.

the OP has a pump; his problems are power cuts.

an automatic change-over is quite expensive and a manual generator start at 03.00 a.m. when you want to flush a toilet is not exactly enhancing quality of life ermm.gif

If you're a bit handy you can create an automatic start and transfer for a reasonable cost, have a look here http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/671221-build-a-low-cost-semi-automatic-generator-transfer-switch/

How much it costs depends on what you want to run.. Just the pump? if so, how many watts is it, and what sort of runtime would a UPS need to supply? Assuming you just want to run the pump, I cannot see any diesel generator being cheaper than a charger/battery/inverter setup - either to install or to run.

We built a water tower with the bottom of the tank at 4mt. (13ft)

For anyone else thinking of doing something like this - check your pump specs carefully - most standard pumps won't like a tank head much higher than about 2M. Some will have an additional spring you can fit to increase the tank head height, but very few I've seen will like the 5M+ in this poster's garden.

Edited by IMHO
  • Like 1

He has a pump, but will not work in a power blackout. Neither will the heater work during this time.

The 1-bar will still fill the bucket for bathing with a scoop. And hot water can be heated by the gas stove...lol

• Like 2

How about an additional ground level spare tank,put the pump from the tanks to the house on a plug.buy a small generator and plug the pump into that when the powers off.The small generator won't be any good for hot water,but you'd still be able to pump cool water throughout the house at normal pressure until the electrics back on.

A much cheaper and easy option,the small generator could also be used for a couple of fans and a low wattage light or 2..

He has a pump, but will not work in a power blackout. Neither will the heater work during this time.

The 1-bar will still fill the bucket for bathing with a scoop. And hot water can be heated by the gas stove...lol

not to forget that he could generate electricity with a hamster and a hamster wheel tongue.png

How about an additional ground level spare tank,put the pump from the tanks to the house on a plug.buy a small generator and plug the pump into that when the powers off.The small generator won't be any good for hot water,but you'd still be able to pump cool water throughout the house at normal pressure until the electrics back on.

A much cheaper and easy option,the small generator could also be used for a couple of fans and a low wattage light or 2..

who will start the small generator when he or his family want to flush a toilet in the middle of the night?

who will start the small generator when he or his family want to flush a toilet in the middle of the night?

Nobody,a bucket of water or 2 will suffice if it's that important to flush a toilet in the middle of the night,

• Like 1

Why not get a pressure tank? Cheap. Nothing unsightly. Problem solved.

Suitable for a couple of toilet flushes, but not half a day of water consumption during a power blackout.

Seems the traditional Thai way of having stored water in an urn works best, as this was the way of living before they even had electricity.

Edited by trogers

Seems the traditional Thai way of having stored water in an urn works best, as this was the way of living before they even had electricity.

... and that's what we have at the Farm.

No 'running water' there.

Mind you, I do heat the water a bit for myself in winter and leave a bit for the youngest girl ... she's reed thin and needs a bit of warming up.

Life as it was 100 years ago is as it is now at the Farm.

You get used to it.

Good for the Soul.

• Like 1

Most of us would prefer to live as most people do today rather than 100 years ago (even if we almost date back to that time).

If it is a choice than a reason but if affordable electric and pumps are today. As for stand pipe that makes sense for a town but not so much for a single dwelling if there are other choices as just too high a tower to get good pressure and you will have to use a strong pump to get it into the tower tank - the the danger that can present in storms or for maintenance.

• Like 1

If you're a bit handy you can create an automatic start and transfer for a reasonable cost, have a look here http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/671221-build-a-low-cost-semi-automatic-generator-transfer-switch/

doesn't this transfer switch require a generator with electric start Crossy?

doesn't this transfer switch require a generator with electric start Crossy?

It does, if you want the beast to start on power fail, there's several posts in the thread on how to modify a simple electric start genny to full auto.

The original intention was to just stop the beast when the power returned (which doesn't need an electric start unit), I got a bit carried away.

The question was about using a shower under gravity flow due to power failures. You forget that without electricity the water heater will not work at all!

• Like 1