Army takes down 48 structures on Phuket's Bangtao Beach

webfact

In many places in Thailand, I saw the situation of a luxury resort opening at a secluded beach. Next thing that happens, is that small Thai entrepreneurs open simple restaurants, bars, massage places and travel agencies at the beach right in front of it. These places make up for a lot of the charm that Thailand has for tourists staying in such a type of resort. If they wouldn't be there, all the tourists can do is use the expensive hotel in house facilities.

Of course commercial activities at the beach should be regulated, their presence should be limited.

But those who want all beaches restored to their pristine 1960 condition, please also think about A) tourists, they have different needs than expats, and B Thai families trying to make a living.

Sure, all commercial activity on the beach is illegal to the letter of the law. But a rule which has widely and constantly been broken in full public view for 30+ years , without the transgressors being challenged in any way, loses much of its validity.

Edited by keestha

Why weren't the police able to take this kind of action for all these years?........

The are corrupt.

I would place most of the blame on the area chiefs of local government. We all know the police could not care less, all they want is the fine money from road users, protection money, etc.

• Like 1

Meanwhile Layan at north Bang Tao ( or Laypang if you are a pedantic online news editor who shall go un-named...) remains untouched, unhindred and the locals putting on finishing touches on buildings they cut down numerous trees to erect.

When I see Lotus Restaurant come down, I will eat my hat.

Why weren't the police able to take this kind of action for all these years?........

The are corrupt.

I would place most of the blame on the area chiefs of local government. We all know the police could not care less, all they want is the fine money from road users, protection money, etc.

Yep and Cherng Telay chief is very, very wealthy, will we have a look into his finances? I figure there is about 5- 6 miles of encroachment on beaches within his jurisdiction. Anyone think he did not profit?

As somebody else has pointed out the beautiful northern end of Bang Tao beach (Layan) has just this year been turned from what was an unspoilt area into a mass of beach restaurants. However as somebody else has also pointed out, without any local beach restaurants at all the tourists will be very limited in choice. Not sure what the answer is, maybe designated areas where local people can set up shop. Problem is nearly all these beaches are mafia controlled and anybody setting up has to pay protection money to them.

• Like 1

Meanwhile Layan at north Bang Tao ( or Laypang if you are a pedantic online news editor who shall go un-named...) remains untouched, unhindred and the locals putting on finishing touches on buildings they cut down numerous trees to erect.

When I see Lotus Restaurant come down, I will eat my hat.

One month ago I saw official notices stapled on the wall of most of the structures on Layan beach, probably announcing the demolition, so maybe they will arrive there, too. I hope this will affect the beach club near the National Park, which is a shame of a building (not to mention the loud music you can hear one km from that 'club').

• Like 1

good news and pattaya is next on the hit list...:-)

I think they are going to have a much harder time there. Half of walking street is built not just over the beach, but over the sea as well! And these are proper structures, not beach huts.

pattaya.jpg

Home_470.jpg

I Believe the Army have demolition experts. If the structures are illegal then no negations will take place.

It sats above in the Phuket News article that Lotus and Palm Beach Club were showing signs on dismantling.

Some of the larger, more solid structures such as the well-known Lotus Restaurant and the Palm Beach Club next to it are expected to take some time to dismantle, but work has started on those, too.

Is it so? Anyone near there can check?

The Breach Club I call it

.... is on private land however it is wayyyyyy over the 6 meter height restriction for that zone 1, which is within 50 meters of high water mark. I'm betting the ocean got moved 100 meters west in the planning permit.

That's how Eva resort got built next to the water in ...Rawai, was it?

I agree very very noisy with the thudding bass especially, and has ruined the marine park ambiance completely.

It's not happening on Koh Samui... It seams they are turning a blind eye on Koh Samui.... Taxi Mafia ,illegal structures and the list goes on... Samui is a mess But they still Don't do anything about it...

One island at a time.

In many places in Thailand, I saw the situation of a luxury resort opening at a secluded beach. Next thing that happens, is that small Thai entrepreneurs open simple restaurants, bars, massage places and travel agencies at the beach right in front of it. These places make up for a lot of the charm that Thailand has for tourists staying in such a type of resort. If they wouldn't be there, all the tourists can do is use the expensive hotel in house facilities.

Of course commercial activities at the beach should be regulated, their presence should be limited.

But those who want all beaches restored to their pristine 1960 condition, please also think about A) tourists, they have different needs than expats, and B Thai families trying to make a living.

Sure, all commercial activity on the beach is illegal to the letter of the law. But a rule which has widely and constantly been broken in full public view for 30+ years , without the transgressors being challenged in any way, loses much of its validity.

Nonsense! All they have to do is to move their "charming" and illegal businesses a few meters off the beach. Yes, many tourists like Thailand's anarchy, but do you think decades of anarchy is good for Thailand? It isn't, and thus the need for action. Edited by BestBitterPhuket

Walking St is what it is, can't see a need to clear that beach. They've got a Beach Club there anyway, for people who like nature.

The actual beach road area that's another story. A deck chair bonfire would be a good start. But structure wise nothing really to clear.

They should start looking at fancy hotels who rope off large sections of beach.

I walk Beach Road every day, and I don't know what you mean in the above statement. Never seen this happen, except maybe during the Fireworks Festival. Maybe you are talking about somewhere else, and not Pattaya?

Walking St is what it is, can't see a need to clear that beach. They've got a Beach Club there anyway, for people who like nature.

The actual beach road area that's another story. A deck chair bonfire would be a good start. But structure wise nothing really to clear.

I walk Beach Road every day, and I don't know what you mean in the above statement. Never seen this happen, except maybe during the Fireworks Festival. Maybe you are talking about somewhere else, and not Pattaya?

Yes I was speaking more generally with that. The road separates hotels from beach at Patts beach. Over at Naklua beach you get it, but Samui and just about anywhere the opportunity presents.

It's not happening on Koh Samui... It seams they are turning a blind eye on Koh Samui.... Taxi Mafia ,illegal structures and the list goes on... Samui is a mess But they still Don't do anything about it...

When the Phuket cleanup commenced it was said that Phuket was the worst of the worst, corruption, beach encroachment etc. If they get it right in Phuket the rest should be a doddle.

Coming your way soon.

good news and pattaya is next on the hit list...:-)

I think they are going to have a much harder time there. Half of walking street is built not just over the beach, but over the sea as well! And these are proper structures, not beach huts.

pattaya.jpg

Home_470.jpg

I am trying to spread this message in every thread where this pops up:

The structures seaside of walking street have a history of decades. They are upgraded structures that replaced the housing of fishermen living unto the sea, at the time when the area of Walkingstreet was the original prior fishing village. Until the USA discovered it for R&R during the Vietnam war.

• Like 1