A little help please..

Hi

I have been to Thailand many times, but now i want my next trip go to Myanmar. The place i want to go is far from Yangoon, its near The Three Pagodas Pass and i will enter Myanmar there. So was thinking how the rules are about visa, when i want to go to Thailand first and then enter Myanmar this way?

In my country we have 30 days visa on our passport.

Not sure what you mean by "In my country we have 30 days visa on our passport". In Thailand, many countries' passport holders enjoy a visa-free stay for 30 days, so you don't need a visa at all.

However, Myanmar does not offer this (as far as I know). But you can apply for a tourist visa at the Myanmar Embassy in Bangkok.

I don't know about any restrictions about areas or regions within Myanmar you may or may not enter with a tourist visa, though.

Yes, your post is a little confusing and it would help if you could clarify what you mean by "In my country we have 30 days visa on our passport" as onthemoon has already said, although my guess is that you mean your nationality receives 30 days visa exemption entry into Thailand on arrival?

Either way, you will need a Myanmar Tourist Visa issued by the embassy in Bangkok (or your home country before departing for Thailand if applicable)

You may now enter Myanmar from Thailand and continue travel overland (eg to Yangon, etc) through four designated entry points - see here for more info.

To do the overland travel - you must have an embassy issued visa in your passport prior to arriving at the border crossing.  You cannot travel overland into Myanmar without this.

Earlier in the year, I went to Three Pagoda Pass, only to find that although Immigration was open (after a long period of closure), that only Thais and Burmese were allowed to traverse the crossing - they were not allowing Falangs to cross.

It is quite possible that the situation has changed, but would suggest making further inquiries before traveling.

Good Luck  and please report back any news.

Earlier in the year, I went to Three Pagoda Pass, only to find that although Immigration was open (after a long period of closure), that only Thais and Burmese were allowed to traverse the crossing - they were not allowing Falangs to cross.

It is quite possible that the situation has changed, but would suggest making further inquiries before traveling.

If you check the links in the two posts I made above yours, you will see that the Three Pagoda's Pass border crossing (Payathonzu-Sangkhla Buri) is NOT on the list of 4 approved border crossing points into Myanmar.  Although it is expected to reach full status in the near future, at the moment it is not open for overland crossings.

Nearest to there is Htee Khee - Phu Nam Ron which does allow foreigners to cross the border and travel onwards through Myanmar (again with an embassy issued visa in your passport)

Is it at all advisable to travel into Burma by motorcycle ?

Do you mean bringing your own wheels into Myanmar across the border?

At this stage it is difficult to do - try contacting one of the Thailand motorcycle clubs (use google), as at least a couple of Thailand based clubs have already arranged motorbike tours into Myanmar.

To arrange a trip on your own - contact Myanmar Ministry of Hotels and Tourism - http://www.myanmartourism.org/

Keep in mind that the permits required are extensive and can take months to prepare.

There is a thread running in our Myanmar Travel forum about taking a car into Myanmar, some useful information can be found there.

Is it at all advisable to travel into Burma by motorcycle ?

Do you mean bringing your own wheels into Myanmar across the border?

At this stage it is difficult to do - try contacting one of the Thailand motorcycle clubs (use google), as at least a couple of Thailand based clubs have already arranged motorbike tours into Myanmar.

To arrange a trip on your own - contact Myanmar Ministry of Hotels and Tourism - http://www.myanmartourism.org/

Keep in mind that the permits required are extensive and can take months to prepare.

There is a thread running in our Myanmar Travel forum about taking a car into Myanmar, some useful information can be found there.

Thanks for the info, I'm planning a solo motorcycle trip and it would be nice, but I guess not practical.

• Like 1

Thanks for the info, I'm planning a solo motorcycle trip and it would be nice, but I guess not practical.

No problem - if you can do the groundwork, I'd thoroughly recommend trying to do a trip through Myanmar by motorbike.
In time this will become easier - it is just that the country has been closed off for so long that they are not prepared for this kind of traveller yet.

As a further suggestion, you could always head to Myanmar first, acquire a motorbike there, and do your trip that way. (rather than trying to bring one across and go through the paperwork & permit shenanigans involved)

Some of my best travel experiences in Myanmar have been taking a motorbike well off the beaten track so to speak - amazing way to see the countryside and meet the people in various parts of the country  :)

• Like 1

I have ever been to Myanmar and so might well get myself a visa and travel in be it air, sea or land.   Is it possible to rent motorcycles ?

It is, but it is far more difficult compared to Thailand.

For a start - motorbikes have been banned in Yangon (the former capital, biggest city, and main starting point for most visitors) since 1999.

Mandalay has motorbikes, definitely a better option for renting (along with some other tourist locations)

From memory one of our forum members has a motorbike place up in the north of the country here.  

Might help to start a new topic in the travel section some time to ask for advice about renting motorbikes in Myanmar - better chance it will be seen instead of being lost in this particular topic

Cambodia, Laoation, Vietnam and Philippines nationals have Bilateral Visa Exemption Agreements with Myanmar. 30 days.

http://www.mofa.gov.mm/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/List-of-Countries-Having-Bilateral-Visa-Waiver-Agreement-with-Myanmar.pdf

I believe the first question was raised by such a national. But I dont know the entry points allowed for them.

I went to Vietnam and Cambodia with my Myanmar wife recently and it was a bit strange to be the one who had to apply for a visa because usually Myanmar passport holders have difficulty getting visas to developed nations.

The aim is to have such agreements with all nations within ASEAN by the end of the year. A great step forward.

• Like 1

With regards to renting motorcycles in Myanmar it can be done on a local basis in many towns. You can rent one on a daily basis in say Dawei, Myeik, Mawlamyine, Pa an, Mandalay, Pyin Oo Lwin, Pagan, Ngwe Saung, Inlay, Kalaw, Taungyi. So within and around a lot of regional towns you can rent a motor bike for the day to explore. Some places even with a driver and guide. I did that once in Pyay ( Prome). 

You can get help from many hotels to organise something like this. 

Bringing the bikes in is really difficult. I have my own bike in Yangon (dont ride it in Yangon though), but I live on the outskirts and have used it to travel through the delta and also as far as Kanthaya in Arakan state. I have a few expat friends and we have just started exploring with a legally registered dirtbike. So far we have found it great fun. 

• Like 2

If you check the links in the two posts I made above yours, you will see that the Three Pagoda's Pass border crossing (Payathonzu-Sangkhla Buri) is NOT on the list of 4 approved border crossing points into Myanmar.  Although it is expected to reach full status in the near future, at the moment it is not open for overland crossings.

Nearest to there is Htee Khee - Phu Nam Ron which does allow foreigners to cross the border and travel onwards through Myanmar (again with an embassy issued visa in your passport)

I know for sure, that thais and burmese people can cross there now.. 

Now i just have to find out if I can as farlang

was just up in Mandalay and rented 125 honda Chinese copies for $10/day form Zach, an American that lives up there,

you can see my post under the travel section here, (we actually rode up to Mogok!!)

700 kms and took about 30 hours riding time ( about 8 of that in the rain), google claims 11 hours   555555

Fucking  FANTASTIC scenery only rivaled by the mtns in norther laos.

DO IT!!

Zach can arrange all permits for u if u want ride down to bagan and inle lake as well ( but it costs another $200 for a special permit) 

IN Bagan they rent these small Ebikes for $8/day to visit the temples

Will be doing a longer write up after i go thru my 37 gigs of photos!!

MY friend owns a 250 dirt bike in Yangoon   ( you might know him, his wife works for Carlsberg) ) an he has to take back roads and sneak it out of the city to ride

• Like 1

KPG2005.  In my experience sometimes it is hard to find out the info before going. If it is stated somewhere that is great. But if it isnt the only way to find out is to go and see what happens. If you make it across at Three Pagoda let us know. 

I asked Myanmar tourism about riding motobikes to kanthaya in Arakan state and frankly they did not know and where a bit sceptical we would be allowed to go. So we got on the bikes and rode there being prepared to turn around if told to do so and we had alternatives.

When we got to the immigration checkpoint at Arakan state in the Arakan Yoma they were happy to see us and just had to report.

No problems, really nice guys. Went in stayed and came back a few days later. Checked in with them and no problems. They told me foreigners come by bus that way often. A few per day. 

I have also crossed into Myanmar briefly from Phra Chuap Kiri Khan route that goes to Myeik. I talked to the Thai immigration into letting me go up to the Myanmar checkpoint. Spoke to the MI's there in Myanmar and they wouldnt let me go further.  They came back to Thailand with me and we had lunch together. I was just checking out the possibilities and didnt care if I made it or not. 

So that sometimes is the way you have to go to the place talk to the officials and whatever they say is the way it will happen.

Sometimes they seem to be the only ones that know what is going on.

Happy exploring that is always part of the fun not knowing where you will end up but being surprised by how people help you along the way.

• Like 1

was just up in Mandalay and rented 125 honda Chinese copies for $10/day form Zach, an American that lives up there,

you can see my post under the travel section here, (we actually rode up to Mogok!!)

700 kms and took about 30 hours riding time ( about 8 of that in the rain), google claims 11 hours   555555
  FANTASTIC scenery only rivaled by the mtns in norther laos.

DO IT!!

Zach can arrange all permits for u if u want ride down to bagan and inle lake as well ( but it costs another $200 for a special permit) 

MY friend owns a 250 dirt bike in Yangoon   ( you might know him, his wife works for Carlsberg) ) an he has to take back roads and sneak it out of the city to ride

Sounds a riot, definite bucket-list stuff

G

<deleted>  FANTASTIC scenery only rivaled by the mtns in norther laos.

DO IT!!

Thanks for the idea I will see if I can arrange a trip on that road too.

the trip from Hsipaw to Namhsan is a great ride  80 klms,  3-5 hours as there are frequent land slides and u need wait for the dirt to be cleared. 

also check at your gh as the situation between open and restricted changes day to day

KPG2005.  In my experience sometimes it is hard to find out the info before going. If it is stated somewhere that is great. But if it isnt the only way to find out is to go and see what happens. If you make it across at Three Pagoda let us know. 

I asked Myanmar tourism about riding motobikes to kanthaya in Arakan state and frankly they did not know and where a bit sceptical we would be allowed to go. So we got on the bikes and rode there being prepared to turn around if told to do so and we had alternatives.

When we got to the immigration checkpoint at Arakan state in the Arakan Yoma they were happy to see us and just had to report.

No problems, really nice guys. Went in stayed and came back a few days later. Checked in with them and no problems. They told me foreigners come by bus that way often. A few per day. 

I have also crossed into Myanmar briefly from Phra Chuap Kiri Khan route that goes to Myeik. I talked to the Thai immigration into letting me go up to the Myanmar checkpoint. Spoke to the MI's there in Myanmar and they wouldnt let me go further.  They came back to Thailand with me and we had lunch together. I was just checking out the possibilities and didnt care if I made it or not. 

So that sometimes is the way you have to go to the place talk to the officials and whatever they say is the way it will happen.

Sometimes they seem to be the only ones that know what is going on.

Happy exploring that is always part of the fun not knowing where you will end up but being surprised by how people help you along the way.

The Myanmar officials were allowed to cross into Thailand there? Lol. Anyway, we hope that they will open up that crossing as an international one very very soon as has been announced. It's quite safe to travel in that region now with the opening of the other overland checkpoints.

Crossing via Phu Nam Ron or Mae Sot is the way to go at the moment though. Very pleasant Myanmar immigration officials at Myawady. They really want to see you there and welcome you back every time. Hpa-an is absolutely awesome. Takes about 5 hours to get there from the Thai border but it's worth it. Might be down to only 2 once the bypass road (being constructed by a Thai company) is complete, reportedly later this year. With this year being rather dry and not too much rain, so far I haven't heard of any news of landslides unlike last year, which was amongst the rainiest in the region in years (which was one reason why overland access was delayed for foreigners until August 28th - the flooding happened in July and blocked all overland access between Myawady and the rest of Myanmar for 3 weeks).